online users
thotties       tv/movies       gaming       gear       tech       guap       rides       eats       health       bxwf       misc

Sep 25 - Italy Elects First Fascist Leader since WWII

more
ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  1   0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

1 year ago '15        #1
7276 page views
189 comments

PineappleOG  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 62935 62 K  Slaps total: 13234 13 K
icon Sep 25 - Italy Elects First Fascist Leader since WWII

Giorgia Meloni may become Italy's 1st far-right leader since World War II

ROME — If polling is correct, Italians will elect their country's most right-wing government since the end of World War II on Sunday. That's no small matter in a country that has had 69 governments since 1946.

Leading the coalition that looks likely to secure a majority of seats in Italy's parliament is Giorgia Meloni, leader of Fratelli d'Italia, the Brothers of Italy party.

If her coalition does win, she will also make history by becoming Italy's first female prime minister.

Meloni, 45, grew up in a working-cla$s neighborhood in Rome that's better known for cultivating leftist activists than producing fiery hard-right politicians. Her party has roots in the neo-fascist movement that emerged out of the ruins of World War II.

Symbols point to the party's connection to that past too. The party flag includes a tricolor flame that was a symbol of fascism in the early 20th century. Meloni has refused to remove the flame from the party's logo.

And many party members have shown an affinity for fascism and fascist leaders of the past. Just this week, the party suspended a member running for parliament after an Italian newspaper revealed he had posted comments supporting Adolf Hitler in the past.

Meloni has spent considerable time and energy trying to convince Italians and Europeans that the party is not fascist. When not on the radio or TV, she is on the road, creating videos she streams live and posts to all her social media platforms.

Meloni's Twitter feed is full of dozens of scenes that look nearly identical. They all show her as she takes the stage in various Italian cities, to the adoring cheers of supporters holding Brothers of Italy flags.

Meloni's opposition to immigration has animated her and her base
In August, Meloni posted a video on social media saying she would introduce a naval blockade to patrol the Mediterranean, to interdict people whom she called "illegal immigrants" from North Africa.

"What is important in the campaign is not the policy itself. It's the message — 'we will stop them at any cost,'" says historian Lorenzo Castellani, a professor at Rome's LUISS University. "She is proposing herself as a sort of defender of the borders, a very Trumpian approach from this point of view," Castellani says, referring to former President Donald Trump's anti-immigration rhetoric and policies.

Even as she spends energy trying to dispense with the fascism label, Meloni also serves up red meat to the party faithful. At a recent event, she was yelling about the years of shame many have felt for holding what she often calls "anti-woke" opinions.

"I have a dream of a nation in which people who have had to put their heads down for so many years ... can now say what they think and not lose their jobs because of it," Meloni said.

A conservative in a moderate's clothing?
Some Italians fear a Meloni-led government would move to outlaw abortion, legal in Italy since 1978. Meloni says she will not.

Meloni has long been a Euroskeptic — and in the past has talked about taking Italy out of the common currency, the euro, and even of leaving the European Union. But she has repeatedly promised she'll work with the EU and can be trusted to manage the 200 billion euros ($194 billion) Italy has received in European pandemic recovery funds.

That assurance was called into question on Thursday, when European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen warned there could be consequences for Italy, the EU's third-largest economy, if it moves in an anti-democratic direction after the election.

Meloni has long insisted that she has no plans to go soft on Russia and has supported Ukraine since war broke out in February. But one of her coalition partners, Italy's former Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, has a long friendship with Russian President Vladimir Putin, and appeared on an Italian talk show Thursday, saying Putin invaded Ukraine to put "decent people" in power in Kyiv.

It's not clear if this could damage Meloni's coalition's prospects at this late hour, but her opponent, former Prime Minister Enrico Letta, the head of Italy's center-left Democratic Party, has repeatedly said on the campaign trail, "If the right wins, the first person to be happy will be Vladimir Putin."

An astute political operative
With Italians facing spiraling energy costs, inflation and a lackluster economy, Meloni, whose party only won 4% of the vote in the last election, has positioned herself as an outsider who will shake things up.

Political writer Federico Fubini, a Meloni critic, says she was astute to sit out of the national unity government that just collapsed. It created a big opening.

"The main reason why she's leading in the polls is because she's perceived as the one that was not in power for the last 10 years," he says.

If Meloni's coalition does win and she is named prime minister, she'll take office almost exactly 100 years after Benito Mussolini took power in Rome. She insists his ideology is in the past. Many Italians and Europeans hope she'll stick to her word.

https://www.npr.org/2022/ .. italy-election

Getting scary in world news/politics
emoji
+21   

icon
best
icon
worst
189 comments

1 year ago '16        #2
smokeytheblunt2 
Props total: 89513 89 K  Slaps total: 6604 6 K
emoji
my people REALLY have to do better…….
+18   

1 year ago '04        #3
erickonasis  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 108137 108 K  Slaps total: 14078 14 K
Just saw this sh1t smh

+6   

1 year ago '22        #4
RockyIII 
Props total: 13355 13 K  Slaps total: 4606 4 K
 PineappleOG said 🔗
Giorgia Meloni may become Italy's 1st far-right leader since World War II

ROME — If polling is correct, Italians will elect their country's most right-wing government since the end of World War II on Sunday. That's no small matter in a country that has had 69 governments since 1946.

Leading the coalition that looks likely to secure a majority of seats in Italy's parliament is Giorgia Meloni, leader of Fratelli d'Italia, the Brothers of Italy party.

If her coalition does win, she will also make history by becoming Italy's first female prime minister.

Meloni, 45, grew up in a working-cla$s neighborhood in Rome that's better known for cultivating leftist activists than producing fiery hard-right politicians. Her party has roots in the neo-fascist movement that emerged out of the ruins of World War II.

Symbols point to the party's connection to that past too. The party flag includes a tricolor flame that was a symbol of fascism in the early 20th century. Meloni has refused to remove the flame from the party's logo.

And many party members have shown an affinity for fascism and fascist leaders of the past. Just this week, the party suspended a member running for parliament after an Italian newspaper revealed he had posted comments supporting Adolf Hitler in the past.

Meloni has spent considerable time and energy trying to convince Italians and Europeans that the party is not fascist. When not on the radio or TV, she is on the road, creating videos she streams live and posts to all her social media platforms.

Meloni's Twitter feed is full of dozens of scenes that look nearly identical. They all show her as she takes the stage in various Italian cities, to the adoring cheers of supporters holding Brothers of Italy flags.

Meloni's opposition to immigration has animated her and her base
In August, Meloni posted a video on social media saying she would introduce a naval blockade to patrol the Mediterranean, to interdict people whom she called "illegal immigrants" from North Africa.

"What is important in the campaign is not the policy itself. It's the message — 'we will stop them at any cost,'" says historian Lorenzo Castellani, a professor at Rome's LUISS University. "She is proposing herself as a sort of defender of the borders, a very Trumpian approach from this point of view," Castellani says, referring to former President Donald Trump's anti-immigration rhetoric and policies.

Even as she spends energy trying to dispense with the fascism label, Meloni also serves up red meat to the party faithful. At a recent event, she was yelling about the years of shame many have felt for holding what she often calls "anti-woke" opinions.

"I have a dream of a nation in which people who have had to put their heads down for so many years ... can now say what they think and not lose their jobs because of it," Meloni said.

A conservative in a moderate's clothing?
Some Italians fear a Meloni-led government would move to outlaw abortion, legal in Italy since 1978. Meloni says she will not.

Meloni has long been a Euroskeptic — and in the past has talked about taking Italy out of the common currency, the euro, and even of leaving the European Union. But she has repeatedly promised she'll work with the EU and can be trusted to manage the 200 billion euros ($194 billion) Italy has received in European pandemic recovery funds.

That assurance was called into question on Thursday, when European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen warned there could be consequences for Italy, the EU's third-largest economy, if it moves in an anti-democratic direction after the election.

Meloni has long insisted that she has no plans to go soft on Russia and has supported Ukraine since war broke out in February. But one of her coalition partners, Italy's former Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, has a long friendship with Russian President Vladimir Putin, and appeared on an Italian talk show Thursday, saying Putin invaded Ukraine to put "decent people" in power in Kyiv.

It's not clear if this could damage Meloni's coalition's prospects at this late hour, but her opponent, former Prime Minister Enrico Letta, the head of Italy's center-left Democratic Party, has repeatedly said on the campaign trail, "If the right wins, the first person to be happy will be Vladimir Putin."

An astute political operative
With Italians facing spiraling energy costs, inflation and a lackluster economy, Meloni, whose party only won 4% of the vote in the last election, has positioned herself as an outsider who will shake things up.

Political writer Federico Fubini, a Meloni critic, says she was astute to sit out of the national unity government that just collapsed. It created a big opening.

"The main reason why she's leading in the polls is because she's perceived as the one that was not in power for the last 10 years," he says.

If Meloni's coalition does win and she is named prime minister, she'll take office almost exactly 100 years after Benito Mussolini took power in Rome. She insists his ideology is in the past. Many Italians and Europeans hope she'll stick to her word.

↪🔗

Getting scary in world news/politics
emoji

Will history repeat itself?.
emoji
+11   

1 year ago '10        #5
acegutta22  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 40471 40 K  Slaps total: 6738 6 K
 RockyIII said 🔗
emoji
Besides Germany and Japan it seems like everything that caused World War III is happening now
+47   

1 year ago '15        #6
PineappleOG  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3 OP
 RockyIII said 🔗
emoji
Italy is a very half a$s country, I don't know how this will affect Europe.

Iran sh1t popping off too

+4   

1 year ago '11        #7
Joseph  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 50762 50 K  Slaps total: 9966 9 K
Italy been a sh1thole for a few decades.
emoji
+50   

1 year ago '20        #8
ProfessionalDon  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x27
Props total: 50805 50 K  Slaps total: 9101 9 K
Italy is debt laden, full of corruption

However this bozo lady is not really right wing as the media is making out

She backs Ukraine and sending arms to Ukraine, she also does not want to leave the European Union especially after what happened to the failure they call United Kingdom

She is pro nato

She believes in Tax cuts and unlimited social spending

Only thing right about her is her Extreme religious values on abortion and LGBT and other religions

She will further bankrupt Italy and they will either move to the extreme left or even further right.

There is no magic wand for Italy, they are a 3rd world country now

Last edited by ProfessionalDon; 09-25-2022 at 05:11 PM..
+51   

1 year ago '20        #9
Xiox  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 97619 97 K  Slaps total: 19777 19 K
I keep saying Italians are some of the most racist people I've met
+35   

1 year ago '22        #10
F0RTUN4T0 
Props total: 4955 4 K  Slaps total: 1731 1 K
NOT going back there
+3   

1 year ago '16        #11
The Waraba  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 11892 11 K  Slaps total: 3063 3 K
 Joseph said 🔗
emoji
That's what I keep hearing but this article says they are the 3rd biggest economy in the EU. I guess them luxury goods taxes has them eating.
+7   

1 year ago '11        #12
stashsoprano 
Props total: 16320 16 K  Slaps total: 1904 1 K
 Joseph said 🔗
emoji
based on what? Gotta love people making claims about places theyve never been to, posting outta their moms basement.
+6   

1 year ago '13        #13
Aristotle  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x16
Props total: 38535 38 K  Slaps total: 13282 13 K
People use the word fascism and don't even know what it means.
+31   

1 year ago '13        #14
Aristotle  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x16
Props total: 38535 38 K  Slaps total: 13282 13 K
 The Waraba said 🔗
That's what I keep hearing but this article says they are the 3rd biggest economy in the EU. I guess them luxury goods taxes has them eating.
large economy =/= good economy.
+9   

1 year ago '17        #15
Ymmot  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 144234 144 K  Slaps total: 59258 59 K
 ProfessionalDon said 🔗
Italy is debt laden, full of corruption

However this bozo lady is not really right wing as the media is making out

She backs Ukraine and sending arms to Ukraine, she also does not want to leave the European Union especially after what happened to the failure they call United Kingdom

She is pro nato

She believes in Tax cuts and unlimited social spending

Only thing right about her is her Extreme religious values on abortion and LGBT and other religions

She will further bankrupt Italy and they will either move to the extreme left or even further right.

There is no magic wand for Italy, they are a 3rd world country now
Yeah, exactly. She's not a fascist. Years ago she praised Mussolini once and now the media is trying to compare her to Mussolini.
+1   

1 year ago '15        #16
 Hayek said 🔗
People use the word fascism and don't even know what it means.
Are you saying she's not a fascist?

Fascism is a different breed of nationalism, when its not just pride in the country, but believing nations are something more, something that has its own soul and identity in a sense. When these guys think there a literal soul or identity of the nation to fight for.
+3   

1 year ago '16        #17
Proveone  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 145951 145 K  Slaps total: 9911 9 K
I spent the summer in Scandinavia and let me just say this... White people out there are tired of POC. Europe is on the decline and folks are blaming immigrants for their problems. sh1t is sad, but Sweden about to be on the same hype. Greece been fu#ked up, France ain't far behind.
+33   

1 year ago '05        #18
Dun Language  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x33
Props total: 171950 171 K  Slaps total: 43902 43 K
stupid immigrants

Top 10 most slapped recently  1 year ago '17        #19
Bradydidit1109  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 9877 9 K  Slaps total: 2394 2 K
 F0RTUN4T0 said 🔗
NOT going back there
My wife and I just went in July too smh. Off my list to go again

1 year ago '14        #20
BigBall 
Props total: 558 558  Slaps total: 459 459
[QUOTE=PineappleOG;61338911]Italy is a very half a$s country, I don't know how this will affect Europe.

Iran sh1t popping off too

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you believe western news, me personally I believe the opposite. The Iran sh1t is just some Mossad CIA bullsh1t getting the blue haired liberals to cause sh1t and rampage. I hope Iran smashes the fu#k out of them.
emoji

1 year ago '06        #21
yumflip  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 30885 30 K  Slaps total: 3213 3 K
 Proveone said 🔗
I spent the summer in Scandinavia and let me just say this... White people out there are tired of POC. Europe is on the decline and folks are blaming immigrants for their problems. sh1t is sad, but Sweden about to be on the same hype. Greece been fu#ked up, France ain't far behind.
The irony of Europe/Europeans tired of immigrants coming to (supposedly) steal all of their resources and change their culture for the worse.
emoji
+51   

1 year ago '16        #22
Proveone  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 145951 145 K  Slaps total: 9911 9 K
 yumflip said 🔗
The irony of Europe/Europeans tired of immigrants coming to (supposedly) steal all of their resources and change their culture for the worse.
emoji

+21   

1 year ago '16        #23
Ghostface Killa  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 58405 58 K  Slaps total: 10046 10 K
 Joseph said 🔗
emoji
Idk bout all that bruh

It was beautiful when I went.

Had its problem areas like anywhere else. But if I had money lined up there, I wouldn't be mad at moving there.

1 year ago '15        #24
 Ymmot said 🔗
Yeah, exactly. She's not a fascist. Years ago she praised Mussolini once and now the media is trying to compare her to Mussolini.
She's also in his same party. But sure bud.

1 year ago '04        #25
R Dot 
Props total: 8231 8 K  Slaps total: 4232 4 K
 PineappleOG said 🔗
Are you saying she's not a fascist?

Fascism is a different breed of nationalism, when its not just pride in the country, but believing nations are something more, something that has its own soul and identity in a sense. When these guys think there a literal soul or identity of the nation to fight for.
Fascism is the merging of state and corporate power! Banding together to control the population! Kinda like what's goin on in America.
+8   

say something...

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
props+8112
Image(s) inside Damn she living like that
125 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
logo LeBron gets called out for stat padding
97 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
props-273
Image(s) inside The difference between a 30 year old in the 80s vs 2024
35 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
props+772
logo Michael Jordan ain't lying. They out here celebrating players having conse..
71 comments
1 day ago
@sports