Australian TV Exec Apologizes For Calling Game of Thrones' Emilia Clarke Short & Dumpy

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
+23  95
105 replies  @wild'ish

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tv / movies

1 month ago '18        #1
1791 page views
41 comments

Eclectic  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x168
Props total: 205644 205 K  Slaps total: 7684 7 K
Australian TV Exec Apologizes For Calling Game of Thrones' Emilia Clarke Short & Dumpy

"Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryen has been called many things: Mother of Dragons. The Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea. The Unburnt.

But dumpy? That's a first.

The CEO of an Australian television company has apologized after referring to Emilia Clarke, who portrayed Daenerys on HBO's megahit Game of Thrones for eight seasons, as a "short, dumpy girl."

At a screening of the prequel series House of the Dragon on Tuesday, Foxtel CEO Patrick Delany reportedly told the crowd in attendance that he wasn't an early adopter of the fantasy epic based on George R.R. Martin's sprawling novels.

"I was like, 'What's this show with the short, dumpy girl walking into the fire?'" Delany said, according to the Australian news outlet Crikey.

The crowd didn't laugh at his joke, with one attendee telling Crikey, "People in the room were obviously shocked by it."

Film critic Travis Johnson confirmed the remark on social media, tweeting, "Yeah, I was there for this, and turned to my mate for clarification as I simply didn't believe someone would say that on mic."

A day after Delany's remarks, Foxtel released a statement clarifying the incident, telling The Wrap, "The aim was to convey that for him, Games of Thrones was something very different for television in 2011 and that Emilia Clarke went from relatively unknown to one of the most recognized and most-loved actors in television and film."

The statement concluded with a mea culpa: "On behalf of Mr. Delany, the Foxtel Group apologizes if his remarks were misunderstood and caused any offense."

Representatives for Clarke and Foxtel did not immediately respond to EW's request for comment Thursday.

House of the Dragon is set 200 years before the events of Game of Thrones, which means Clarke, 35, does not appear in the new show. The 10-episode series, based on Martin's 2018 book Fire & Blood, tells the story of the Targaryen empire at the height of its powers, before civil war threw control of the Iron Throne into chaos. (Yes, you'll see plenty of dragons soaring through the skies.)

House of the Dragon stars Paddy Considine as King Viserys Targaryen, Matt Smith as Prince Daemon Targaryen, and Milly Alcock and Emma D'Arcy as Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen as a teenager and an adult, respectively.

Showrunner Miguel Sapochnik told EW that the potential exists to embrace an anthology model to explore more Westerosi history.

"I think that's one of the interesting things about the Targaryens," said Sapochnik, who co-wrote House of the Dragon. "We've chosen a story that's almost like Star Wars: Episode IV. It's the New Hope. We can go backwards, we can go forwards. There's a lot of opportunities there. I hope we've been given the opportunity to set up something."

House of the Dragon premieres Aug. 21."

visit this link https://ew.com/tv/austral .. clarke-insult/
+3   

best
worst
41 comments

1 month ago '04        #2
NAKHI ALLAH 
Props total: 65957 65 K  Slaps total: 4677 4 K
Nah ole girl is cool AF and very humble I fux with her heavy
+42   

1 month ago '18        #3
Twrecz 
Props total: 8117 8 K  Slaps total: 722 722
 Eclectic said

"Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryen has been called many things: Mother of Dragons. The Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea. The Unburnt.

But dumpy? That's a first.

The CEO of an Australian television company has apologized after referring to Emilia Clarke, who portrayed Daenerys on HBO's megahit Game of Thrones for eight seasons, as a "short, dumpy girl."

At a screening of the prequel series House of the Dragon on Tuesday, Foxtel CEO Patrick Delany reportedly told the crowd in attendance that he wasn't an early adopter of the fantasy epic based on George R.R. Martin's sprawling novels.

"I was like, 'What's this show with the short, dumpy girl walking into the fire?'" Delany said, according to the Australian news outlet Crikey.

The crowd didn't laugh at his joke, with one attendee telling Crikey, "People in the room were obviously shocked by it."

Film critic Travis Johnson confirmed the remark on social media, tweeting, "Yeah, I was there for this, and turned to my mate for clarification as I simply didn't believe someone would say that on mic."

A day after Delany's remarks, Foxtel released a statement clarifying the incident, telling The Wrap, "The aim was to convey that for him, Games of Thrones was something very different for television in 2011 and that Emilia Clarke went from relatively unknown to one of the most recognized and most-loved actors in television and film."

The statement concluded with a mea culpa: "On behalf of Mr. Delany, the Foxtel Group apologizes if his remarks were misunderstood and caused any offense."

Representatives for Clarke and Foxtel did not immediately respond to EW's request for comment Thursday.

House of the Dragon is set 200 years before the events of Game of Thrones, which means Clarke, 35, does not appear in the new show. The 10-episode series, based on Martin's 2018 book Fire & Blood, tells the story of the Targaryen empire at the height of its powers, before civil war threw control of the Iron Throne into chaos. (Yes, you'll see plenty of dragons soaring through the skies.)

House of the Dragon stars Paddy Considine as King Viserys Targaryen, Matt Smith as Prince Daemon Targaryen, and Milly Alcock and Emma D'Arcy as Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen as a teenager and an adult, respectively.

Showrunner Miguel Sapochnik told EW that the potential exists to embrace an anthology model to explore more Westerosi history.

"I think that's one of the interesting things about the Targaryens," said Sapochnik, who co-wrote House of the Dragon. "We've chosen a story that's almost like Star Wars: Episode IV. It's the New Hope. We can go backwards, we can go forwards. There's a lot of opportunities there. I hope we've been given the opportunity to set up something."

House of the Dragon premieres Aug. 21."

the fu*k is dumpy
+3   

1 month ago '17        #4
Lazy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 44621 44 K  Slaps total: 6188 6 K

1 month ago '21        #5
RJ Watkins 
Props total: 3235 3 K  Slaps total: 1047 1 K
bi*ch been way overrated from jump. she is dumpy

1 month ago '10        #6
Delbert Mengel 
Props total: 9914 9 K  Slaps total: 1633 1 K
what a d*ckhead

guarantee he looks like a weirdo
+12   

1 month ago '18        #7
Wiggy wexler  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x32
Props total: 78387 78 K  Slaps total: 18068 18 K
She is a queen like dua lipa tf lol

No way anyone who gets consistent pwsay can spin otherwise

+23   

Top 10 most propped recently  1 month ago '16        #8
Proveone  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 112231 112 K  Slaps total: 7233 7 K
I can't stand these non-apology apologies. "I'm sorry IF" "that wasn't my intention" " taken out of context". The moment you say any of that sh*t in an apology you ain't apologizing for anything other than the fact that people got mad

+6   

1 month ago '12        #9
NahBX 
Props total: 2424 2 K  Slaps total: 104 104

+5   

1 month ago '10        #10
ElevateOne 
Props total: 5377 5 K  Slaps total: 533 533

not dumpy... ankles are not fat

her acting was sorta trash... although the script didn't help her in that last season

1 month ago '20        #11
Pinkythegreat 
Props total: 591 591  Slaps total: 190 190
Damn short people can’t catch a break! She is short she like 5”2or 5 feet exactly and she’s petite… not overweight.. shiiiit. If I may short females probably got better pus sy too bc we shallow inside … idk they lame for that comment

1 month ago '14        #12
freezetag 
Props total: 30383 30 K  Slaps total: 2455 2 K
mannnn shorty fine af in GOT
+13   

1 month ago '15        #13
CZNM22  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 69249 69 K  Slaps total: 2095 2 K

+4   

1 month ago '15        #14
Jital 
Props total: 3378 3 K  Slaps total: 241 241
He's capping. She s*xy, a white nubian queen

+15   

1 month ago '07        #15
ptwist  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 24327 24 K  Slaps total: 2023 2 K
Khaleesi, my queen, forever and always

+8   

1 month ago '06        #16
Storchaveli  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 37445 37 K  Slaps total: 9597 9 K
 NAKHI ALLAH said
Nah ole girl is cool AF and very humble I fux with her heavy
This. She’s down to earth. I’m not a huge fan but I’ll always defend her…
[spoiler - click to view]

+4   

1 month ago '22        #17
OmegaAT 
Props total: 2437 2 K  Slaps total: 80 80
Rather if she is or isn’t… If that’s how he feels then that’s his opinion. That’s what’s wrong with people today… can’t voice their own opinion out of fear for backlash.

1 month ago '22        #18
yourdaddy 
Props total: 269 269  Slaps total: 240 240
lotta simps in here!
+2   

1 month ago '21        #19
I am awake 
Props total: 9462 9 K  Slaps total: 2719 2 K
 yourdaddy said
lotta simps in here!
If they’re simps..

What are you?
+3   

1 month ago '13        #20
kromw2 
Props total: 15727 15 K  Slaps total: 1245 1 K
call me the father of dragons
+3   

1 month ago '11        #21
Tony Franks  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 42390 42 K  Slaps total: 5973 5 K
 NahBX said

damn yo, I never knew this.

Somebody needs to stone that dude talking sh*t.

1 month ago '16        #22
00010111  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 61877 61 K  Slaps total: 6053 6 K
 Twrecz said
the fu*k is dumpy
Kinda fat.

But BX would probably call her a pawg.

She is short, iunno about the 'dumpy' part though. Seems a bit harsh.

1 month ago '16        #23
Boogersugar  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x18
Props total: 107343 107 K  Slaps total: 15642 15 K
 OmegaAT said
Rather if she is or isn’t… If that’s how he feels then that’s his opinion. That’s what’s wrong with people today… can’t voice their own opinion out of fear for backlash.
Wah wah wah I can't express my opinion without people expressing their opinion about that speech should only go one way boo hoo

+1   

1 month ago '19        #24
ZigZag  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x30
Props total: 53601 53 K  Slaps total: 12677 12 K
She is short & dumpy in reality without the movie glam Team.
+4   

1 month ago '22        #25
OmegaAT 
Props total: 2437 2 K  Slaps total: 80 80
 Boogersugar said
Wah wah wah I can't express my opinion without people expressing their opinion about that speech should only go one way boo hoo

Nobody said opinions about the speech couldn’t be expressed. I just said he shouldn’t have to apologize

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  27
Video inside Dallas rapper BFG Straap shot & k*lled; shot 15 times in chest & face
229 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  27
Video inside Will Young Americans Want to Work in Semiconductor Manufacturing?
40 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
+175online now  17
Video inside “LA k*lled more Rappers than any other city, I WILL NOT check in”
183 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+55online now  13
Image(s) inside We are in a food crisis all og our food is fake.
168 comments
1 day ago
@misc
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy