Heat Director Michael Mann Has Harsh Critique Of Modern Action Movies

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
+28  95
112 replies  @wild'ish

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tv / movies

1 month ago '18        #1
1181 page views
23 comments

Eclectic  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x168
Props total: 205644 205 K  Slaps total: 7684 7 K
Heat Director Michael Mann Has Harsh Critique Of Modern Action Movies

"Heat director Michael Mann shares a harsh critique of the current landscape of action cinema, calling modern action movies boring and "stale." Mann is a four-time Academy Award-nominated filmmaker known for his distinct style of crime drama. Some of his most acclaimed works are Thief, Manhunter, The Last of the Mohicans, Heat, The Insider, Collateral, and Public Enemies. Mann is currently making the rounds not for a film, but the novel Heat 2, which hit shelves earlier this month.

Released in 1995, Heat is a Los Angeles crime drama that follows a veteran LAPD detective played by Al Pacino, who is tasked with tracking a career criminal played by Robert De Niro, with the two engaging in a dangerous game of cat-and-mouse that begins to spill over into their personal lives. Written by Mann and Meg Gardiner, the Heat 2 novel acts as both a prequel and a sequel to the 1995 film. Mann is already planning to adapt Heat 2 into a feature film, and while the idea of it becoming a television series has been floated, the director seems committed to the big screen experience.

During a recent interview with Total Film magazine (via GamesRadar) promoting Heat 2, the conversation naturally wandered into the current landscape of cinema, with Mann sharing his candid thoughts on modern action movies. In the director's earnest opinion, the genre's current offerings are boring, uninteresting, and just plain "stale." Read what Mann says below:

Iím just bored by it. Itís not very interesting. I mean, sometimes the choreography is so outrageous that itís fascinating, and it is quite good. But generally, no. Itís just stale.

Mann's comments are made more generally, and he does not name any specific action franchises or titles. Today, the action genre (and the box office altogether) is dominated by superheros, where the Marvel Cinematic Universe reigns supreme. If Mann did have the MCU in mind when making these comments, he's the latest in a long line of acclaimed directors to criticize the franchise, including Martin Scorsese, Denis Villeneuve, Francis Ford Coppola, and Ridley Scott.

ven though the action genre is currently cornered by superheros, there are plenty of alternative offerings which Mann should be aware of, and likely enjoys. Christopher Nolan, whose Dark Knight trilogy was heavily influenced by Mann's Heat, consistently makes unique and ambitious action movies, his latest being Tenet. The highest-grossing movie of 2022 is not a comic book blockbuster, but Top Gun: Maverick, which has avoided most of the common criticisms about modern action movies due to Tom Cruise's commitment to practical filmmaking. That hit movie seems tailor-made for those like Mann, who have soured on the CGI-laden blockbusters that dominate the modern box-office landscape.

visit this link https://screenrant.com/mi .. ies-criticism/
+12   

best
worst
23 comments

1 month ago '05        #2
bqstudios  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 26636 26 K  Slaps total: 3759 3 K
When he said " the choreography is so outrageous that it’s fascinating" I instantly thought the Fast & Furious franchise.
+38   

1 month ago '04        #3
NAKHI ALLAH 
Props total: 65959 65 K  Slaps total: 4677 4 K
He kinda right
+7   

1 month ago '05        #4
Muggz  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 22170 22 K  Slaps total: 5863 5 K
he’s exactly right
90% of todays movies are fu*king complete trash, blame
marvel and disney
fu*k green screen cinema
+18   

1 month ago '10        #5
Delbert Mengel 
Props total: 9914 9 K  Slaps total: 1633 1 K
 bqstudios said
When he said " the choreography is so outrageous that itís fascinating" I instantly thought the Fast & Furious franchise.
john wick sh*t is what he's on about
+18   

1 month ago '21        #6
Fatt Kidd 
Props total: 8231 8 K  Slaps total: 2188 2 K
I just finished season 5 of Snowfall last night and halfway through I thought about this. Action in series is limited but it's still better than in movies. Idk why but my theory is because the main characters always gets their a*s beat multiple times throughout the series where they're pretty much invincible in movies. And in movies you know they'll survive. In a series, you don't always see the L coming.

Just think of how you felt watching Thanos k*ll all those Marvel characters vs how you felt watching them f*ght. Which feeling was more superior?

+6   

1 month ago '13        #7
SamDaHammer 
Props total: 6074 6 K  Slaps total: 592 592
 Delbert Mengel said
john wick sh*t is what he's on about
John wick is the definitive action series of current cinema... my opinion tho...
+8   

1 month ago '15        #8
Deuce2416 
Props total: 27513 27 K  Slaps total: 2862 2 K
 Muggz said
heís exactly right
marvel and disney
fu*k green screen cinema
Disney and Marvel wouldnít do what they do if people didnít keep giving them $500Ms to a Billion every time out.

Blaming them is stupid. Itís been mostly trash outside of those MCU movies as well.
+8   

1 month ago '10        #9
Delbert Mengel 
Props total: 9914 9 K  Slaps total: 1633 1 K
 SamDaHammer said
John wick is the definitive action series of current cinema... my opinion tho...
john wick 3 is fu*king terrible....

2 is good

1 is average

so no, it isn't.

1 month ago '11        #10
BaseWhitaker 
Props total: 38715 38 K  Slaps total: 5928 5 K
Heat is one of the greatest Films I’ve ever seen. How it didn’t win any Academy Awards is a tragedy
+10   

1 month ago '05        #11
 Deuce2416 said
Disney and Marvel wouldnít do what they do if people didnít keep giving them $500Ms to a Billion every time out.

Blaming them is stupid. Itís been mostly trash outside of those MCU movies as well.
o thereís trash all around. how many good movies have we got this year? like 2? batman and top gun?
disney already had all the money in the world, an these movies make that much cuz itís not just sweaty nerds goin itís also every parent taking their kid to k*ll time cuz these movies are so light lil kids can watch them so u goin to movies n have to worry bout kids screamin n yellin n sh*ttin their pants, on top of the same ol sh*t every movie n show.
u canít tell me an actor can put on a better performance by pretending thereís whatever scenery behind them on the green screen and their pretending to f*ght a tennis ball hanging on a string, compared to like a f*ght in a rocky or creed movie or seeing joe pesci and deniro go from laughing to stompin some dudes face off
+3   

1 month ago '18        #12
BlackjesuS  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 16715 16 K  Slaps total: 3195 3 K
 Muggz said
o thereís trash all around. how many good movies have we got this year? like 2? batman and top gun?
disney already had all the money in the world, an these movies make that much cuz itís not just sweaty nerds goin itís also every parent taking their kid to k*ll time cuz these movies are so light lil kids can watch them so u goin to movies n have to worry bout kids screamin n yellin n sh*ttin their pants, on top of the same ol sh*t every movie n show.
u canít tell me an actor can put on a better performance by pretending thereís whatever scenery behind them on the green screen and their pretending to f*ght a tennis ball hanging on a string, compared to like a f*ght in a rocky or creed movie or seeing joe pesci and deniro go from laughing to stompin some dudes face off
I want to think if they are a good actor then they are going to sell you on the performance so the background shouldn't matter ... Those older movies always k*lled me when the stunt double was not the same size as the actor
+1   

1 month ago '15        #13
kami  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 61156 61 K  Slaps total: 25748 25 K
Consumers are content junkies now the quality doesn’t matter.
+1   

1 month ago '16        #14
alejandrugas  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 7710 7 K  Slaps total: 377 377
That shootout scene in heat is 1 of my fav action scenes, sh*t that whole movie is so dope and full of gems. “ Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner”
+3   

1 month ago '22        #15
Dick2Gutta  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 8447 8 K  Slaps total: 659 659
+1   

1 month ago '20        #16
LordRupertEvert 
Props total: 10402 10 K  Slaps total: 628 628
Heat is the goat heist movie

1 month ago '20        #17
ProfessionalDon  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x21
Props total: 42336 42 K  Slaps total: 7574 7 K
Directors need to stop complaining and up their game

I can enjoy a superhero movie just as much as I can enjoy a gangster or action movie

But I have not seen a great action thriller movie in years

All that John Wick sh*t is terrible, it just ripped off Taken, which was a better movie. The part 2, 3 and all that dragging on sh*t is as annoying as the Fast and Furious franchise

The genre is weak, lazy writing, over the top action sequences, unoriginal

Heat was a great movie which I have seen multiple times and I also have seen the original version he made which was just as good.

Last edited by ProfessionalDon; 08-20-2022 at 10:28 AM..
+3   

1 month ago '15        #18
gemini8686  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 42429 42 K  Slaps total: 11278 11 K
 Muggz said
heís exactly right
marvel and disney
fu*k green screen cinema
Blame marvel and Disney? Like yíall just have to be against something. Itís ok for different things to co exist.

So comic book fans canít have something they enjoy. Ppl need to like what they like and stfu. As long as itís not harming anyone.

1 month ago '16        #19
Head Coach 
Props total: 17874 17 K  Slaps total: 1459 1 K
Stop saying these movies are trash, they're not.
The problem is the system is off balance

Too much leaning on one side, lack of options,

Just like hip hop today

1 month ago '16        #20
GUMa  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x17
Props total: 20303 20 K  Slaps total: 10549 10 K
MI: Fallout and Top Gun Maverick are some of the greatest action blockbusters
+1   

1 month ago '05        #21
 gemini8686 said
Blame marvel and Disney? Like y’all just have to be against something. It’s ok for different things to co exist.

So comic book fans can’t have something they enjoy. Ppl need to like what they like and stfu. As long as it’s not harming anyone.
look i love comic books, when it all started even before iron man, blade was one of my favourite movies, the first two batman’s even tho i was only a lil a*s kid blew me away when i saw it on video for the first time (was too young for a theatre) iron man i couldn’t believe what i was getting and i wasn’t even big on his comics. But now. we went from quality films to like every 6 months (pre covid) to something that only teased (JUST WAIT UNTIL THE NEXT ONE) at the end of the movie that never really fulfilled what u wanted they knew u just wanted the next one because they saved the most interesting sh*t for post credits of cameos or very small hints to anticipate the next one. now flash to after endgame. dr strange was the last one i actually had faith would
be amazing again. and now i see why edgar wright left antman and derickson left dr strange 2, because feige actually controls what they wanna do with this movies, we don’t give a fu*k about that lil girl from dr2 it wasn’t supposed to be wanda as basically the co-star in it either and we just saw her story in wandavision. Marvel does not let these cool directors do what they want to make an original product. they all want the same pg rated, corny jokes added, light hearted sh*t for kids because they want that children money, that merch money, that toy money etc. and it’s greed and lazy filmmaking that isn’t the same as practical locations, props and real people

- i had to go off i got like 4 replies mad cuz i was hatin on green screens n marvel. so this all i got to say on it. i won’t reply again to this bullshjt esp on a weekend, u can’t convince a marvel stan of this sh*t anyways. u can give them trash like Eternals and they’ll still tell u it was good
+1   

1 month ago '05        #22
 BlackjesuS said
I want to think if they are a good actor then they are going to sell you on the performance so the background shouldn't matter ... Those older movies always k*lled me when the stunt double was not the same size as the actor
bro i hear u but itís artificial, itís just not genuine. comparing a face to face dialogue driven drama at a ďo sh*tĒ moment like in Heat when denjro and pacino meet for the first time at a restaurant in a both facing each other knowing anything is about to pop off VS. christ pratt on a mechanical bull pretending heís on a dinosaur or RDJ wearing a football helmet moving his face around like heís supposed to be flying isnít good acting no matter how much u believe it lol

and your saying you canít suspend your belief for a half a second quick shot of a stunt double whoís face you canít even see during a fast paced action shot, but u donít mind believing your walking in a fictional rainbow road in Asgard with chris hemsworth talking to himself as if that rock creature is beside him or u can believe cap is throwing a 80 pound shield around at 100 mph but itís really a frisbee?
+1   

1 month ago '18        #23
BlackjesuS  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 16715 16 K  Slaps total: 3195 3 K
 Muggz said
bro i hear u but itís artificial, itís just not genuine. comparing a face to face dialogue driven drama at a ďo sh*tĒ moment like in Heat when denjro and pacino meet for the first time at a restaurant in a both facing each other knowing anything is about to pop off VS. christ pratt on a mechanical bull pretending heís on a dinosaur or RDJ wearing a football helmet moving his face around like heís supposed to be flying isnít good acting no matter how much u believe it lol

and your saying you canít suspend your belief for a half a second quick shot of a stunt double whoís face you canít even see during a fast paced action shot, but u donít mind believing your walking in a fictional rainbow road in Asgard with chris hemsworth talking to himself as if that rock creature is beside him or u can believe cap is throwing a 80 pound shield around at 100 mph but itís really a frisbee?
Deniro and Pacino sell acting....Pratt and Hemsworth sell effects

I can..it's just bothers me...for instance that Tom cruise movie where he keeps dying over and over..broad has her arms ripped off and is beat with them by a robot, cool with that....but stuff like this no

My man's standing on the back of a moving pickup on dirt holding a helicopter via chain or later on they got 6 cars chained together and homie pulls the chopper in a rear wheel drive car with the front wheels as they are the only tires touching ground

..cutting it off

1 month ago '05        #24
 BlackjesuS said
Deniro and Pacino sell acting....Pratt and Hemsworth sell effects

I can..it's just bothers me...for instance that Tom cruise movie where he keeps dying over and over..broad has her arms ripped off and is beat with them by a robot, cool with that....but stuff like this no

My man's standing on the back of a moving pickup on dirt holding a helicopter via chain or later on they got 6 cars chained together and homie pulls the chopper in a rear wheel drive car with the front wheels as they are the only tires touching ground

..cutting it off
fast and the furious, kevin hart and the rock movies are even worse than any bad marvel movie so iím with u on that
+1   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+37online now  30
Video inside They Cloned Tyrone | Teaser Trailer | Netflix
29 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
online now  22
Video inside Dallas rapper BFG Straap shot & k*lled; shot 15 times in chest & face
229 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  20
Video inside Will Young Americans Want to Work in Semiconductor Manufacturing?
40 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
+175online now  19
Video inside ďLA k*lled more Rappers than any other city, I WILL NOT check inĒ
185 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy