online users
thotties       tv/movies       gaming       gear       tech       guap       rides       eats       health       bxwf       misc

Aug 13 - Loud BOOM in Utah Was A Meteor Strike

icon

more
ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  1   0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

2 years ago '17        #1
3615 page views
46 comments

WIG  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x18
Props total: 48646 48 K  Slaps total: 6675 6 K
Aug 13 - Loud BOOM in Utah Was A Meteor Strike

YT

SALT LAKE CITY — Residents across northern Utah reported hearing a loud boom early Saturday morning.

The sound was heard and felt just before 8:30 a.m., with reports coming in from people who say their homes shook following the boom.

People reported hearing the noise from areas from Roy to Bluffdale and everywhere in between.

Seismologists confirmed that the event was not an earthquake.

“I have experienced many earthquakes," said Luz Hernandez, who lived in Puerto Rico for years. "So because everything shakes, in the house, the walls, definitely it was not that case here — just a big sound."

Many also theorized that the noise was a sonic boom produced from aircraft nearby, possibly from Hill Air Force Base. However, in a tweet sent later Saturday, Gov. Spencer Cox said the noise was not from military aircraft.

The sound was actually caused by a meteor.

Robert Lunsford with the American Meteor Society said it’s rare to hear the sound created by a meteor.

“Your normal meteor is only the size of a pea or a small pebble. This particular object was probably the size of a beachball,” Lunsford said.

“You’ve got a big chunk of rock flying through space, and sometimes they even break up," added Duke Johnson with the Clark Planetarium. "And then you can get multiple booms, and I saw that the Weather Service did have two different blimps on the radar from this thing so it appears that it may have broken up.

That’s why when the meteor came through the earth’s atmosphere, it pushed on the sound waves, resulting in the boom.

“Anything that surpasses the speed of sound, where the air is thick enough to carry sound waves, can create a sonic boom," Lunsford said. "And the only thing that really does that is lightning, a supersonic jet, and meteors."

Mandi Arrington who lives in West Jordan got her trees trimmed on Friday and thought a branch fell.

“I actually thought part of my tree had broken off and hit my house, so that’s why I went out and I started looking around and I was completely confused,” she said. “It was a relief to find out that it was something else.”

https://www.fox13now.com/ .. -northern-utah

Last edited by WIG; 08-13-2022 at 09:02 PM..
+3   

icon
best
icon
worst
46 comments

2 years ago '05        #2
Micheal C. Will  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 160747 160 K  Slaps total: 16436 16 K
It's really amazing that nothing bigger has hit Earth since the 1903 Tunguska event that leveled over almost 850 square miles.

Either this planet has been really fu#king lucky in the last billion years or there is some higher power.

Just saying, because we should have been due one by now don't you think?

And I'm agnostic by way, so don't come at me crazy i'm just throwing sh1t out there.
+44   

2 years ago '22        #3
BreakkerSzn  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x109
Props total: 187412 187 K  Slaps total: 219893 219 K
Give New Orleans the Jazz Name
emoji
+11   

2 years ago '16        #4
Bakwaas4va 
Props total: 1216 1 K  Slaps total: 181 181
emoji
+2   

2 years ago '16        #5
Ultralisk 
Props total: 7967 7 K  Slaps total: 2304 2 K
Skinwalker ranch experiment gone wrong

2 years ago '17        #6
becoolhomie2  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x24
Props total: 32578 32 K  Slaps total: 10663 10 K
So where is it
+4   

2 years ago '04        #7
JayHovMan 
Props total: 4318 4 K  Slaps total: 200 200
 Micheal C. Will said 🔗
It's really amazing that nothing bigger has hit Earth since the 1903 Tunguska event that leveled over almost 850 square miles.

Either this planet has been really fu#king lucky in the last billion years or there is some higher power.

And I'm agnostic by way, so don't come at me crazy i'm just throwing sh1t out there.
I think it’s more like things have just calmed down, like yeah there’s still sh1t out there but I think the worst of it probability-wise happened early on…. Plus Jupiter keeps a lot of stuff away from us and like someone else says small stuff burns up in the atmosphere. But even knowing that I agree it just feels like something should happen again, not while I’m around I hope lol

I’m not an expert or anything, just my thoughts but I always liked space/universe stuff
+3   

2 years ago '22        #8
Dick2Gutta  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x11
Props total: 15423 15 K  Slaps total: 1096 1 K

And that's just a beachball sized meteor making that boom....imagine a mountain sized meteor
+5   

2 years ago '15        #9
CZNM22  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 114705 114 K  Slaps total: 3231 3 K
 Micheal C. Will said 🔗
Never count out the Yellowstone supervolcano.

emoji

My other doomsday favorites are gamma-ray bursts and CERN either creating a black hole or creating a tr@ns-dimensional window like in Project Arrowhead.

emoji
+4   

2 years ago '11        #10
tfc1193 
Props total: 6755 6 K  Slaps total: 1513 1 K
 Micheal C. Will said 🔗

The solar system isn't as active as it once was. Many of those extremely large asteroids have either already hit sh1t or have been swallowed up by the various orbits in our system. Another thing is that space is massive. Like, unfathomably massive. If the solar system was the size of the continental US then Earth would probably be a small suburban city. The (big) asteroid that you are proposing would most like be the size of a small building being thrown at the city. Imagine the chances. Taking a small building and randomly dropping it somewhere on the continental US and it happens to land on your small city
+2   

2 years ago '19        #11
305Trav  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 16401 16 K  Slaps total: 3949 3 K
 CZNM22 said 🔗
Never count out the Yellowstone supervolcano.

emoji

My other doomsday favorites are gamma-ray bursts and CERN either creating a black hole or creating a tr@ns-dimensional window like in Project Arrowhead.

emoji
Thiccccc

2 years ago '17        #12
DeadleeThreat 
Props total: 6168 6 K  Slaps total: 911 911
 Micheal C. Will said 🔗

Facts but space is huge. We really can’t fathom how big it is.
+5   

2 years ago '13        #13
Phenom354 
Props total: 60032 60 K  Slaps total: 3898 3 K
 Micheal C. Will said 🔗

This is about the best we get

🔗

It's not just earth though, other planets take strikes all the time ie Jupiter.

🔗

+6   

2 years ago '10        #14
jhust4ever 
Props total: 5376 5 K  Slaps total: 954 954
Very skeptical isn't there more than 10k satellites orbiting earth. And and the news is not clear on what it was?
+3   

2 years ago '14        #15
rashadd 
Props total: 49564 49 K  Slaps total: 4699 4 K
It’s a certain group of people that don’t think space exist or we live inside a “dome” and will argue with you, calling you “programmed” or “indoctrinated”

And yet we have all these videos like this

emoji

+1   

2 years ago '13        #16
SimpinAintEz 
Props total: 57595 57 K  Slaps total: 12048 12 K
 justforboxden said 🔗
It's by design. Our atmosphere/stratosphere/mesophere/all them fu#kin spheres have evolved over time to protect the earth against space debris like that. Most of it burns up before we even see it
The atmosphere/ stratosphere/ mesophere is not a thinking entity that makes a conscious decision to “evolve” to protect the earth.

The earth doesn’t even need protection from the small a$s sh1t that burns in the atmosphere. It’s the big sh1t that levels cities that needs to be kept out and “all the spheres” don’t do sh1t to protect from that.

2 years ago '14        #17
rashadd 
 tfc1193 said 🔗
The solar system isn't as active as it once was. Many of those extremely large asteroids have either already hit sh1t or have been swallowed up by the various orbits in our system. Another thing is that space is massive. Like, unfathomably massive. If the solar system was the size of the continental US then Earth would probably be a small suburban city. The (big) asteroid that you are proposing would most like be the size of a small building being thrown at the city. Imagine the chances. Taking a small building and randomly dropping it somewhere on the continental US and it happens to land on your small city
One of the things that helped give me a perspective on how big space is, was the asteroid belt and always wondering how do you navigate it b/c of the movies and tv shows showing someone dodging all these large rocks. Even the pictures would have you to believe that it looks like this…

But after researching, it is estimated that the asteroids are pretty far apart.

”Astronomers estimate that the average distance between two asteroids in the asteroid belt is about 600,000 miles (966,000 km). This is about 2.5 times the distance between the Earth and the Moon. That is a lot of space between two neighboring asteroids!”

Last edited by rashadd; 08-14-2022 at 05:55 AM..
+7   

2 years ago '14        #18
rashadd 
 d1ck2Gutta said 🔗

And that's just a beachball sized meteor making that boom....imagine a mountain sized meteor
A mountain? We probably wouldn't be here typing with one another.

Last edited by rashadd; 08-14-2022 at 06:05 AM..
+2   

2 years ago '05        #19
ice wolf  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x36
Props total: 45215 45 K  Slaps total: 21329 21 K
 Micheal C. Will said 🔗

emoji

I’ve had the same thoughts many times myself

It’s easy to forget as humans that’s we’re living in a spinning rock, flying through space.
+3   

2 years ago '11        #20
Tony Franks  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 75006 75 K  Slaps total: 10410 10 K
so nobody saw this coming? And no one was hurt?

2 years ago '20        #21
rNSFuqyah 
Props total: 1017 1 K  Slaps total: 563 563
Utah? ominous lol

2 years ago '17        #22
WIG  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x18 OP
Props total: 48646 48 K  Slaps total: 6675 6 K
 Tony Franks said 🔗
so nobody saw this coming? And no one was hurt?
Astronomers are actually not that good at seeing sh1t that are near the earth and usually don't detect them until it's too late. Even the ones that could do real damage sometimes pa$s by us and they don't notice it until it's already no longer a threat. Just goes to show when the big one does come there's no telling if we'll know or get decimated with no warning.
+2   

2 years ago '04        #23
CrAkKedOuT  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 27071 27 K  Slaps total: 4618 4 K
 Yaggy said 🔗
Skinwalker ranch experiment gone wrong
emoji

"I'm saying once you start digging, bad things happen"
+1   

2 years ago '04        #24
AliHood 
Props total: 9585 9 K  Slaps total: 642 642
I love how humans look lost when you all are trying to figure something out
+2   

2 years ago '04        #25
JoeyAvalanche 
Props total: 2862 2 K  Slaps total: 567 567
I just see movie Nope.
I don’t need this sh1t!

say something...

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
props+347
Post A Moment That Finished An Artist Career
287 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
logo LeBron gets called out for stat padding
97 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
props+434
Video inside This is Janet Jackson. She will be 58 this year 💋
69 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
props+523
Video inside Man builds backyard bar to get away from his wife..
77 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish