JAY-Z Blames Ambition And Ego For Failed Supergroup With DMX & Ja Rule

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section hiphop

Top 10 most propped recently  2 months ago '18        #1
3266 page views
58 comments

Eclectic  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x169
Props total: 208646 208 K  Slaps total: 7753 7 K
JAY-Z Blames Ambition And Ego For Failed Supergroup With DMX & Ja Rule

"JAY-Z, DMX and Ja Rule were supposed to form a supergroup in the late ’90s, but it never came to light, and Hov has now shared why he thinks it didn’t work out.

In the premiere episode of the new murder Inc. BET documentary, label founder Irv Gotti recalled the time that Jay, X and Ja were working closely with each other to the point people in the industry referred to them as a supergroup.

Irv was instrumental in helping JAY-Z, DMX and Ja Rule but he saw something within all three of them that screamed supergroup. However, things didn’t go as planned as each rapper was much more focused on their solo careers, which Hov attributed to how competitive they were as well as each of them having a big ego.

“I think it was everyone’s ambition and everyone’s ego,” JAY-Z said. “It was just three guys, three independent labels, three Black men who are all f*ghting to be the best in the world.”

IG

ig_rid=678a5926-8d58-4465-a7bd-a1a84c74c1df
The three rappers were featured on various songs together, such as “Can I Get A…,” “Money, Cash, Hoes,” “Blackout” and more, and as hype around them grew so did the call for them to form a group.

Irv Gotti was planting the seeds of his murder Inc label when he saw an opportunity to market and brand his new company through the formidable rap trio.

“The supergroup with Jay, X and Ja, I used it to push branding for murder Inc. All I gotta do is put a hot track on, and they gon go at it,” Irv said. “If there’s a studio and the rappers is rapping, X is trying to k*ll you. Hov, you can’t tell Hov he ain’t the best. He thinks he’s fu*king the illest ever, and he might be. Rule has a Napoleon complex. If you think for one second he’s bowing down to anybody, no.”

Some of the songs from those sessions would be “It’s Murda” off Ja’s debut album Venni Vetti Vecci, and “Murdagram” off the Streets Is Watching soundtrack.

Hov added: “Me and X had like a thing. He was always super competitive with me. I was super competitive at that time as well. Ja was just happy to be in the room at the time he hadn’t become the Ja Rule that we all come to know and love.”

The documentary will also see Irv Gotti dive into the infamous 2003 FBI raid at the murder Inc. offices in New York. Irv and his brother Christopher Lorenzo were accused of money laundering through alleged financial transactions a*sociated with drug kingpin Kenneth “Supreme” McGriff.

During a conversation with HipHopDX, Irv revealed he felt shunned by the music industry after the incident.

“When the feds come after you — what’s the character on Snoopy?” Gotti asked. “He’s got a cloud that’s always raining on him. Oh, Pigpen. I was Pigpen. So it’s sunny outside, but it was raining. I would go in to have meetings with these top executives in entertainment, and I would have the best meeting. They would be like, ‘You’re really a genius. This was great.’

“I would leave they office and nothing would happen. So basically what I felt was happening is once I left the office, someone either called them or they Googled me, and they seen the bullsh*t with the feds, and someone said, ‘Don’t fu*k with him.’ And no one fu*ked with me.”

visit this link https://hiphopdx.com/news .. oup-murder-inc
+16   

best
worst
58 comments

Top 10 most slapped recently  2 months ago '22        #2
BreakkerSzn  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x12
Props total: 38976 38 K  Slaps total: 21857 21 K
Firm would smoke that Supergroup

2 months ago '04        #3
slipnslide85  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x9
Props total: 25179 25 K  Slaps total: 1417 1 K
It’s probably better that this never happened. Would have stunted everyone’s growth

Only upside is maaaaaybe this would have prevented 50 from ending Ja.
+37   

2 months ago '18        #4
Sick Flair 
Props total: 30195 30 K  Slaps total: 2233 2 K
Ego is the downfall of man. murdergram was a banger and there’s no reason that couldn’t have worked.
+23   

2 months ago '20        #5
Laron Isley  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x45
Props total: 27903 27 K  Slaps total: 9182 9 K
Even though we never got a album from them, they were somewhat of a group because we got some classic songs from them 3 together. That was enough for me
+12   

2 months ago '15        #6
Brother Bone  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 5624 5 K  Slaps total: 204 204
 Laron Isley said
Even though we never got a album from them, they were somewhat of a group because we got some classic songs from them 3 together. That was enough for me
I never thought about it like that
You put all songs that featured all 3 of em
sprinkle a couple that just had two of em on it
With one solo song from them each and you basically got a group album
+31   

2 months ago '20        #7
POWER RAPS  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 46194 46 K  Slaps total: 3475 3 K
I remember having that xxl cover on my wall as a kid. I was anticipating this sh*t like crazy and then murder in ended up being an r&b label

That album would’ve been classic
+26   

2 months ago '04        #8
Adwerdz  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x96
Props total: 193711 193 K  Slaps total: 23973 23 K
 BreakkerSzn said
You’ve been typing dumb sh*t all day, its time to log off fam
+20   

2 months ago '04        #9
missing linX 
Props total: 1608 1 K  Slaps total: 186 186
 BreakkerSzn said
You getting downvoted, but Nas, Az, and Mega in a group is crazy.
+7   

2 months ago '09        #10
messy marv stan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x89
Props total: 276240 276 K  Slaps total: 29623 29 K

DMX and my dogs bite
Jigga, my n*gga rhyme all night
Thugs for life, one night with this rap sh*t
Let 'em go and I bet they know what'll happen
When we clap sh*t
Actin' like we owe 'em somethin'
Then we show 'em somethin'
Talk greasy, I think they found 'em down the road or somethin'

dmx ethered camel on money cash hoes
+13   

2 months ago '20        #11
POWER RAPS  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 46194 46 K  Slaps total: 3475 3 K
 Adwerdz said
Dudes be telling on themselves. They weren’t around or they’re outsiders bc the firm album was poorly received and looked at as a disappointment
+9   

2 months ago '22        #12
TheRealisBack 
Props total: 1307 1 K  Slaps total: 493 493
Jay didn’t need them. Jay has no swag got damn! Why he wearing a bucket hat over all those dreads? Smh

2 months ago '11        #13
bonez79  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x14
Props total: 49415 49 K  Slaps total: 10067 10 K
Jay most likely the reason why sh*t didn't pop off, Ja was the youngin' so he was just playing his position and really didn't have a say so in sh*t. I lowkey think X had Jay shook because X was just as hot if not hotter than Jay at that time. But Jay was obviously a business man and probably didn't like the split so he probably deaded the sh*t.
+14   

2 months ago '07        #14
swiftkid21 
Props total: 7765 7 K  Slaps total: 712 712
Woulda been a 1 and dine. Then a comeback for nostalgic reasons. But they styles, content and personalities would've definitely clashed big time. Would have a bunch of diss tracks to each other that would've been the only good to come out of that

Last edited by swiftkid21; 08-13-2022 at 12:12 PM..
+6   

2 months ago '14        #15
strungout  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 177004 177 K  Slaps total: 39024 39 K
 slipnslide85 said
It’s probably better that this never happened. Would have stunted everyone’s growth

Only upside is maaaaaybe this would have prevented 50 from ending Ja.

50 cent was so powerful , that I think even a Super group would have had trouble surviving that tidal wave

“I remember one time walking in the studio and it was like a small gap, and... Memphis] Bleak, Beans [Beanie Sigel], everybody was in there and I was like 'Man I’m telling you, man, ya gotta chance right now, just flood it put out a lot of music because 50 Cent is coming,'" he told The Breakfast Club. And you know four months later ‘In Da Club’ hit and it was over. And it was just like, okay now everybody gotta sit on the sidelines and wait this tidal wave out.”
-jigga
+11   

2 months ago '04        #16
trinking726 
Props total: 132 132  Slaps total: 8 8
 Brother Bone said
I never thought about it like that
You put all songs that featured all 3 of em
sprinkle a couple that just had two of em on it
With one solo song from them each and you basically got a group album
All 3- It’s murda, murdergram, Time to build (mic Geronimo), If it’s on it’s on (Cash money click), Holla holla remix
Dmx & ja- stay flawless (noreaga), the grand finale, who shot ya freestyle, usual suspects (mic Geronimo), represent (cash money click), read about it freestyle, crime story
Jayz & ja- can I get a, gangsta sh*t, k*ll ‘em all
Jayz & dmx- money cash hoes, blackout, why we die (busta rhymes), backstage freestyle, bath salts

I’m think there’s more but that’s just what I can remember.
+7   

Top 10 most propped recently  2 months ago '18        #17
Eclectic  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x169 OP
Props total: 208646 208 K  Slaps total: 7753 7 K

2 months ago '18        #18
dakidjahsiah  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 22999 22 K  Slaps total: 2434 2 K

jay z vs dmx vs security guard

security guard won b
+11   

2 months ago '04        #19
NAKHI ALLAH 
Props total: 67083 67 K  Slaps total: 4728 4 K
I believe Jay didn't want the Convo to come up that the dog was better than him, dmx appealed to the gutter, he was the real struggle, Jay was to much floss, dmx most people could really relate to what he was saying plus the dog was loved by EVERYONE
+7   

2 months ago '11        #20
Silencer  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 45736 45 K  Slaps total: 1836 1 K
X and Jay had a friendly rivalry but its dope that Jay Z wasnt too big to not appreciate DMX while he was still alive.

+13   

2 months ago '05        #21
ice wolf  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x13
Props total: 33498 33 K  Slaps total: 12462 12 K
 BreakkerSzn said
Firm was 10x better

There’s nothing ‘super’ about Ja Rule. He would’ve ruined that project IMO.

2 months ago '17        #22
PackerTrelli3  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x19
Props total: 137398 137 K  Slaps total: 41325 41 K
All 3 were hot artist. So it makes sense. It’s what happens when u have many chefs in the kitchen and hands in the pot

And they all talked to the streets.
+2   

2 months ago '05        #23
Schavez98 
Props total: 10044 10 K  Slaps total: 1714 1 K
 POWER RAPS said
I remember having that xxl cover on my wall as a kid. I was anticipating this sh*t like crazy and then murder in ended up being an r&b label

That album would’ve been classic
I didn’t start copping XXLs until the Shyne issue. This is the one cover I wish I had and don’t.
+1   

2 months ago '14        #24
Kyu  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x39
Props total: 266150 266 K  Slaps total: 31075 31 K
 Adwerdz said
 POWER RAPS said
Dudes be telling on themselves. They weren’t around or they’re outsiders bc the firm album was poorly received and looked at as a disappointment
That’s @ burner. It’s what he does

+3   

2 months ago '19        #25
JUANCEASAR 
Props total: 4863 4 K  Slaps total: 409 409
 missing linX said
You getting downvoted, but Nas, Az, and Mega in a group is crazy.
Yeah imma be real when I downvoted I thought of the album with Nature and I thought that album was very disappointing so I figured that murder Inc. could destroy The Firm but you're not wrong.

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+49online now  34
Women on Twitter tell Stories about how Men fumbled the 😾
304 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+31online now  26
Image(s) inside Got Some Head, Ate Some Bread, Got In Bed, Lucky He Ain’t Dead
93 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+28online now  21
rich boy arrested for f*ghting with his parents
187 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+20online now  15
Video inside '22 Elantra N Owner Gets Pulled Over, Told It Will Cost $7K To Remove S..
91 comments
2 days ago
@rides
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy