Prey's Predator Redesign Artist Explains the Alien's New Physiology

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
45 replies  @hiphop

most viewed right now
+16  59
87 replies  @wild'ish

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tv / movies

1 month ago '18        #1
1930 page views
44 comments

Eclectic  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x168
Props total: 205519 205 K  Slaps total: 7681 7 K
Prey's Predator Redesign Artist Explains the Alien's New Physiology

"Concept artist and creature designer Michael Vincent explained some of the physiological changes he made to Prey's Predator.

Vincent took to Twitter to break down the deadly hunter's new aesthetic, noting that many of the alterations were made to reflect the Predator's adaptation to its environment. "Genetic isolation with different environmental pressures yields a variant of Yautja," writes Vincent. "Adapted to a drier climate… thinner, waxier dreads, thicker oral tissue, & scalier skin for moisture retention, favors crushing bite for different diet…" The creator also went on to discuss the creature's mask, which is significantly different from the ones shown in the Predator films set in modern times.

Genetic isolation with different environmental pressures yields a variant of yautja… adapted to a drier climate… thinner, waxier dreads, thicker oral tissue, & scalier skin for moisture retention, favors crushing bite for different diet… pic.twitter.com/I3Sm7YZxxR

— Michael Vincent Art (@MV_Creatures) August 9, 2022
"Thicker brow houses heat sensitive organs, which the mask is designed to interface with… thinner casque loses less water…" continued Vincent. The artist also explained why the Yautja's fascination with bones, noting the importance of the material. "Bone has a special cultural significance to the Feral subspecies… not only their armor but as a diet staple… a careful look at the mouth reveals molars outfitted for osteophagy…" Vincent concluded.

The descriptions of the Predator's physiology corroborate statements made by director Dan Trachtenberg, who noted that his goal with redesigning the iconic alien was to make it more visually appropriate for Prey's setting. "I really wanted to make this version of the Predator so much more feral and ferocious and animalistic, from its movements to its silhouette and its design," Trachtenberg said. This principle also applied to the visual effects used as the filmmaker specified that the creative team didn't want to be held back by "the limitations of a physically-built suit with a man inside operating it."

Set centuries before the original Predator film, Prey chronicles the story of Naru (Amber Midthunder), a young Comanche warrior who finds herself caught in a game of survival with an otherworldly creature. The movie has received almost universal praise from fans and critics alike, many of whom have noted its sweeping visuals, compelling characters and engaging f*ght choreography.

While it's currently unknown whether Trachtenberg plans on returning to the world of Prey, the director has noted that he's entertained the idea of continuing Naru's story. "The nerd in me looked that far ahead, as far as he could look, before we started writing this movie," he said. "But the adult in me said, 'Don't count your chickens and just be careful. Try and make the best movie possible, straight away.'"

Prey is now streaming on Hulu."

visit this link https://www.cbr.com/prey- .. ew-physiology/
+16   

best
worst
44 comments

1 month ago '14        #2
DavidAames  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 34009 34 K  Slaps total: 1400 1 K
Props to the director for breathing life into this franchise.

Prey is a great body of work.

Well done and can tell it was labor of love for that team.

Hopefully it’s extremely successful and a second film is made by that director as he already stated “The nerd in me looked that far ahead, as far as he could look, before we started writing this movie," he said. "But the adult in me said, 'Don't count your chickens and just be careful. Try and make the best movie possible, straight away.” He’s done just that, made the best movie possible one can make at this juncture…
+43   

1 month ago '22        #3
letitallg0  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 7853 7 K  Slaps total: 474 474
I just finished watching

Really good movie, enjoy it if you have not seen it
+15   

1 month ago '19        #4
Shenanagans  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 13431 13 K  Slaps total: 1447 1 K
 letitallg0 said
I just finished watching

Really good movie, enjoy it if you have not seen it
Me too. It was better than I expected.
+12   

1 month ago '19        #5
BaliBoy 
Props total: 2333 2 K  Slaps total: 1022 1 K
Redesign?

How about nah

1 month ago '19        #6
OaklandSmokin 
Props total: 18500 18 K  Slaps total: 1120 1 K
I went back and watched Predators after Prey. Wasnt bad
+10   

1 month ago '17        #7
Its 
Props total: 44204 44 K  Slaps total: 3236 3 K
That was nerdy as, guarantee I didn't notice none of it lol. But I do appreciate that attention to detail though, salute to that crew, they for me looking forward to another Predator movie, haven't said that in 30 years lol
+3   

1 month ago '08        #8
stead21  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 17448 17 K  Slaps total: 2601 2 K
I think it would be dope if humans found away to go to the Predators Planet and take the hunt back to them. I would love that so much!!!!!
+19   

1 month ago '17        #9
The Watcher  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x60
Props total: 187097 187 K  Slaps total: 10156 10 K
 stead21 said
I think it would be dope if humans found away to go to the Predators Planet and take the hunt back to them. I would love that so much!!!!!

+15   

1 month ago '16        #10
nik3 
Props total: 13296 13 K  Slaps total: 6756 6 K
 stead21 said
Damn thats a dope concept
+6   

1 month ago '18        #11
Mr Tibbs 
Props total: 35645 35 K  Slaps total: 3329 3 K
 stead21 said

+7   

1 month ago '16        #12
AfroBucks88  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 129878 129 K  Slaps total: 4626 4 K
that mask is making my skin crawl they did a great job
+1   

1 month ago '06        #13
bigmike5115 
Props total: 1378 1 K  Slaps total: 406 406
Was A good movie. Really enjoyed it

1 month ago '04        #14
skater118 
Props total: 3278 3 K  Slaps total: 329 329
This movie was lit. I can’t believe it didn’t come out in theaters.
+5   

1 month ago '22        #15
Dick2Gutta  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 8399 8 K  Slaps total: 651 651
Best thing about the movie was the design of the predator...i ain't watch nothing but 20 minutes of it but i seen the design online & appreciate the attention to detail & dedication they did.

The effort they put into that is well appreciated but whoever wrote the script needs to never write another sci-fi script EVER!!!

1 month ago '16        #16
BitterDiesel 
Props total: 24708 24 K  Slaps total: 3066 3 K
So basically this Predator is from the Bad Bloods Arc.

+1   

1 month ago '14        #17
breezeus313 
Props total: 15593 15 K  Slaps total: 928 928
 stead21 said
lolz that would be interesting

instead of predator in the title
call it Homosapien or primates

1 month ago '06        #18
kip99 
Props total: 14974 14 K  Slaps total: 1658 1 K
I was very impressed with Prey. Felt like a breath of fresh air in a world full of fu*king reboots and re-re-remixes.
+6   

1 month ago '16        #19
Loosefingaz 
Props total: 1050 1 K  Slaps total: 908 908
That’s a demon

1 month ago '10        #20
Daunte Bx718 
Props total: 1371 1 K  Slaps total: 74 74
 stead21 said
n*ggas wanna send Jon jones and John wick to f*ght the predators?!?! That movie wouldn’t last 5 seconds b
+6   

1 month ago '21        #21
BeastModeBoy 
Props total: 14171 14 K  Slaps total: 779 779
The homie asked me one time that if Beyonce's pu**y opened up like the predators mouth would I still fu*k?
+2   

1 month ago '07        #22
tre0624  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 25411 25 K  Slaps total: 11787 11 K
 stead21 said
Bro it takes like 100 n*ggas to k*ll 1 predator. How many humans u goin take to the planet? Lmao
+1   

1 month ago '10        #23
Delbert Mengel 
Props total: 9884 9 K  Slaps total: 1631 1 K
 OaklandSmokin said
I went back and watched Predators after Prey. Wasnt bad
they had the dopest concept but they blew it with too many callbacks and characters. should have just been royce and the sniper wary of each other but have to team up against other alien threats and maybe even work with another alien character and then have the predator showdown in the final third. the lore could have been expanded with way more alien creatures.

even just removing the fishburne character would have helped

also the idea that the preds would track some goofy serial k*ller doctor was dumb af. warzones yes, they're not private detectives.
+4   

1 month ago '21        #24
OJPimpson 
Props total: 756 756  Slaps total: 30 30
 Daunte Bx718 said
n*ggas wanna send Jon jones and John wick to f*ght the predators?!?! That movie wouldn’t last 5 seconds b
Would need to be a futuristic take where the human civilization has become way more technologically advanced, for the movie to even make sense.
+1   

1 month ago '22        #25
KING7 
Props total: 1878 1 K  Slaps total: 878 878
It will cool if they added that the predators who come to earth to hunt are rogue predators and it's illegal to hunt on their planet

Just like some rich westerns do when they go to Africa and hunt animals
+2   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+25online now  20
Video inside Eyes Wise Shut is so underrated
37 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
online now  18
9/23.......the great mister abigail finally returns
304 comments
2 days ago
@misc
most viewed right now
online now  15
Video inside Dallas rapper BFG Straap shot & k*lled; shot 15 times in chest & face
227 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+314online now  14
Image(s) inside And they wonder why corporate America isn’t diverse
298 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy