Mose Malone's Achievements And Underrated NBA Career!

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section sports

4 months ago '21        #1
520 page views
15 comments

Optimus Maximus  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 11626 11 K  Slaps total: 3471 3 K
Mose Malone's Achievements And Underrated NBA Career!

One of the most imposing big men in history, Moses Malone is a three-time MVP, a 12-time All-Star, an NBA champion and the 1983 Finals MVP.

Malone won NBA MVP awards in 1979 and '82 with the Houston Rockets and in '83 with the Philadelphia 76ers. He joined legends Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan as the only players to win MVP awards in the '80s, and only Jabbar (six), Bill Russell (five), Jordan (five), Chamberlain (four) and LeBron James (four) have more.

Nicknamed “The Chairman of the Boards,” he ranks fifth all-time in NBA history in rebounding (16,212) and is the NBA’s all-time leader in offensive rebounds for a career (6,731). He also has the top three records for offensive rebounds in a single season (587 in 1978-79 ranks first) and the record for most offensive rebounds in a game (21).

Moses Eugene Malone scored 27,409 points in his career.

He grabbed 16.212 rebounds in total, the fifth-most in history, after Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell, Kareem Abdul Jabbar and Elvin Hayes.

Malone kept the NBA records of offensive rebounds in career (6,731), season (587) and games (21).

He came second in free throw attempts (11,090) and free throws made (8,531), only after Karl Malone.

Malone was a six-time NBA rebounding champion; only Chamberlain (11) and Dennis Rodman (7) had more than him.

He was also a three-time NBA MVP, the sixth-most in NBA history after Abdul-Jabbar (6), Michael Jordan (5), Russell (5), Chamberlain (4) and LeBron James (4).

From 1979 to 1983, Malone was the best player in the NBA, better than Julius Erving and Kareem Abdul Jabbar. In those five years, he won three NBA MVP awards, four rebounding titles, one NBA Championship and one NBA Finals MVP.

In 1974, when Malone was about to graduate from Petersburg High School, he averaged 36 points, 26 rebounds, 10 blocks per game in his last season in high school. Over 250 universities wanted him but he chose to go professional because college basketball was just too easy for him.

He was then selected by the Utah Stars. In his first six games for the team, Malone grabbed a total of 65 offensive rebounds, showing his teammates, most of whom are much older than him, how tough this rookie from high school could be.

In 1976, the ABA merged with the NBA and Malone joined the Houston Rockets. It took him a year to become the new leader of the team. In the 1978-79 season, Malone put down 25 points and 18 rebounds per game, helped the Rockets claim 47 wins and received his first NBA MVP award, all at the age of 24 years.

Don't be impressed yet because Malone further shocked the whole league in two years. In the 1981 playoffs, the Rockets met the Los Angeles Lakers. Back then, Malone and his team seemed to have no chance of winning: the Lakers were the defending champions. Second-year rookie Magic Johnson was starting to lead the team into the "Show Time" era later with his signature deep-pass-early-offense style. By contrast, the only thing presentable the Rockets had was offensive rebounding, perhaps?

That's all Malone needed to create a miracle.

In '81, Kareem Abdul Jabbar was outplayed by Moses Malone in the first round!

Moses: 31.3 pts, 17.7 rebs, 51% FG
Kareem: 26.7 pts, 16.7 rebs, 46% FG

Moses also didn't have a PG to feed him the ball. Magic & backup Norm Nixon avg +7 asts in the series.

None of Moses' teammates averaged more than 4 APG.

From Game 1, Abdul Jabbar had to face the charge of Malone, Billy Paultz and Major Jones. The "Sky Hook" was still able to score 21 points, 15 rebounds, seven a*sists and three blocks, but he could not stop Malone from getting 38 points, 23 rebounds and leading the Rockets to beat the Lakers in rebounds 55-46. The purple and gold's early offense was completely neutralized. The Rockets knocked out the Lakers 2-1.

Malone and his team marched on with victories as they defeated the Kansas City Kings and the San Antonio Spurs to reach the NBA Finals, challenging Larry Bird and his Boston Celtics. Surrounded by perhaps the best forward-center partnership in NBA history of Bird, Robert Parish and Kevin McHale, Malone only got 22 points at a field goal rate of 40 percent, but still managed to take 98 rebounds, including 46 on the offensive glass. The Rockets lost the Finals, but the league remembered Malone's name.

Malone's registered height was 6'10" but he wasn't. His hands were small and his wingspan was never to his advantage either. So how did a guy like him drop 14 straight double-double seasons as the greatest offensive rebounder in league history?

Imagine Malone as a big man who shares the leaping ability, speed and coordination of Blake Griffin as well as the shooting touch and power of Zach Randolph, both in their best years. Malone was always running all over the court; he could shoot from 15 feet (about 4.6 meters); most importantly, he was fast. When he met those seven-footers on the court, Malone was always able to appear in the best position between his rival and the basket in a blink. Then he could show his opponents why nobody ever matched him in "shooting, missing, jumping again, and again before he either scored or drew a foul."

In the following 1981-82 season, Malone finished with 31.1 points, 14.7 rebounds and the second MVP award of his career. By the way, no center has ever done that since then. He became a free agent and he needed a championship. In September, he joined the Philadelphia 76ers.

Philadelphia in the 1982-83 season became a true legend. They won a franchise-record 65 games. Moses received the third MVP trophy of his while being selected to the All-NBA First Team with Erving. The team's back-court pair, Maurice Cheeks and Andrew Toney were both named NBA All-Star.

This should make @215Philly entire week!

The 76ers crushed the New York Knicks 4-0, beat the Milwaukee Bucks 4-1 and walked over the Lakers 4-0 in the Finals. Malone averaged 26 points and 18 rebounds per game in the finals. In Game 4, he grabbed 23 rebounds, including 10 in the last quarter. In the end, Malone won his first and only title and NBA Finals MVP award.

Enjoy bum a*s @215Philly this is my benevolence to your hating a*s!

@nola504 @CZNM22 @CJ Schwarz @Blafy @Nore< 707 @Thierry Henry @420 Lyfe @illprem @Mindgawn @moonshin3 @BobbiHeadRagTop @He A Savage fr @Panthro 808 @Dollababy @mrep3 @BlackjesuS @siren @No Religion @cal classick @ChoAssUp @D1nOnlyMrM@ @Chick Boss414 @Usukaz2 @TheLuminousOne @Steelgrip @kawgre12 @landlord151515 @Chozen @CELE91 @dre03 @414mvp @Noble Meanz @Jubz @Ta388 @Boom DeNiro @octane @Vell86 @MomsDigMe @Rugby Jones @angelo noel @ICONIC @wettems35 @McGirt876 @AfroBucks88 @stogz @NOCCOWT @Tastemaker331 @confidential1 @NoFatHos84 @ROD @Aztec King @deziking @tnice @Skilllz @JabariGarvey @flyguyt @The Utmost @Icee @bigVdubb @Avon_Barksdale @Cowabunga Dude @edote @SupremeBeing5 @Stu Shiesty @nwo504 @JT21 @marcusaka50 @GoCop @FORTUN4TO @Avarice @SumYungHungGuy @stead21 @Playboy69 @Gunner @killawee @dweezy @rippac4 @Ari Gold @Badnewz100 @MC Gusto @Righteous Path @JosethaHustler @Rafael100 @4eva990 @ELAH MENTAT @vlwex @BrooklynDamien @Silencer @Ant McQueen @adak31 @Jarett718 @Asiatic 716 @Lazy @brotheramir @satchseven @Its @atruedsgb @Sick Flair @G1antcereal bowl @NAKHI ALLAH @DaQCKing @Tobinmont @1mcchicken2go @Deeebo @Slymm @Ron O'Neal @cspade @212 718Bx @MollyINmylean @philly337 @kangkong @youngthugga1991 @Big Louie Guwop @blah blah blah @SPdaGOAT @Knowledgeable @96jordan @Tha TC @JT21[/MENTION SUPREME7 @TonyCartagena @mjgoatrings23 @BangEm904 @ghettofied @PitneyAssassin1 @Cedwards198451 @ahonui06 @goodkidmadworld @Glock Rivers @BEASTMODE863 @rexplosive @darkman400 @Tripsev @jayevryday @BrooklynStiles @eightytyson06 @WoodPipe @TheGift @Skratch @4evaabso @Kinglew88 @4evaabso @Pdouble69 @CaliSteppin @M2CEO @Adam Is BeTTeR @GOLDUST @BallDontLie @OffBreed @YouSmokeReggie @HOH4ever @BLACK FIST

Last edited by Optimus Maximus; 08-10-2022 at 01:40 PM..
+29   

best
worst
15 comments

4 months ago '15        #2
TheCompanyMan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 25772 25 K  Slaps total: 2174 2 K
Moses deserves more love.
+11   

4 months ago '18        #3
back1  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 17763 17 K  Slaps total: 6353 6 K
Yep.

Top 15 career ever. People always say that Olajuwon was underrated, but the reality is that Moses was the one who is really underrated (not to say he’s better than Hakeem).
+4   

4 months ago '10        #4
M2CEO  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 17878 17 K  Slaps total: 2831 2 K
One of the greats
+1   

4 months ago '14        #5
flyguyt 
Props total: 2866 2 K  Slaps total: 118 118
Remove me from the mentions. I PMd you once asking you to do so.

4 months ago '06        #6
Icee  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 41573 41 K  Slaps total: 2969 2 K
Mo is a great !
+1   

4 months ago '14        #7
215Philly  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x21
Props total: 126239 126 K  Slaps total: 45935 45 K
You finally taking notes from me

And dont forget, he lead arguably the best team of all time

4 months ago '18        #8
BlackjesuS  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 18367 18 K  Slaps total: 3416 3 K

This is the way. Good post

4 months ago '06        #9
angelo noel 
Props total: 11520 11 K  Slaps total: 4331 4 K
Another classic.
+3   

4 months ago '22        #10
GOLDUST  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 3702 3 K  Slaps total: 1188 1 K
Hakeem was a much better defender but his dominance over the league didn't translate as consistently as Moses. But you always see Hakeem in the top 10 and not MO!

Last edited by GOLDUST; 08-10-2022 at 02:49 PM..
+4   

4 months ago '17        #11
bossflossy 
Props total: 8583 8 K  Slaps total: 658 658
 back1 said
Yep.

Top 15 career ever. People always say that Olajuwon was underrated, but the reality is that Moses was the one who is really underrated (not to say heís better than Hakeem).
he and Olajuwon are very comparable numbers wise
+2   

4 months ago '18        #12
YouSmokeReggie 
Props total: 11951 11 K  Slaps total: 1388 1 K
Being born in 94 I always wanted to know the story to some of these guys and why they were looked at so greatly

So even tho you be sh*ttin on them n*ggas team and whatnot
You still provide facts for someone like me who don’t know nothin and wasn’t really around back then

That’s why I call these class lessons

They dope
+2   

4 months ago '12        #13
goodkidmadworld 
Props total: 22187 22 K  Slaps total: 1288 1 K
Fo’ Fo’ Fo’

My n*gga, I really was thinking the other day Moses deserves way more fu*kin love
+4   

4 months ago '22        #14
Dick2Gutta  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 12552 12 K  Slaps total: 900 900
The man who taught both olajuwon & barkley the next level of basketball. Tough man right here & put up dominant numbers in a 5 yr span...he no doubt is a top 5 center alltime. His rebounding numbers are crazy & he put up a high scoring outage

Moses won 3 regular season & 1 finals mvps in an era of talented bigs while shaq couldn't win any MVP or rebounding award in the 90s era of talented bigs(94 should've been his year tho). Had 1 regular season & 3 finals mvps in an decade with weak centers. Could only muster one mvp and still couldn't win one back to back in said decade

Malone faced better centers in his runs to the finals than Shaq did in the 2000s...him outplaying Kareem & beating the juggernaut Lakers 2 TIMES to me is more impressive than anything Shaq has done & i like both centers. He also avg more points & rebs than shaq in their best seasons..shaq doesn't even register on top 50 rebounding avgs in history. As much as i loved shaq's personality & his game... I bring up shaq because he considers himself the most dominant yet couldn't beat out David Robinson, charles barkley, Karl Malone for an MVP in the 90s. Karl Malone won two MVPS in the 90s but shaq couldn't win one?

Last edited by Dick2Gutta; 08-10-2022 at 10:53 PM..
+1   

4 months ago '21        #15
Optimus Maximus  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1 OP
Props total: 11626 11 K  Slaps total: 3471 3 K
 d*ck2Gutta said
The man who taught both olajuwon & barkley the next level of basketball. Tough man right here & put up dominant numbers in a 5 yr span...he no doubt is a top 5 center alltime. His rebounding numbers are crazy & he put up a high scoring outage

Moses won 3 regular season & 1 finals mvps in an era of talented bigs while shaq couldn't win any MVP or rebounding award in the 90s era of talented bigs(94 should've been his year tho). Had 1 regular season & 3 finals mvps in an decade with weak centers. Could only muster one mvp and still couldn't win one back to back in said decade

Malone faced better centers in his runs to the finals than Shaq did in the 2000s...him outplaying Kareem & beating the juggernaut Lakers 2 TIMES to me is more impressive than anything Shaq has done & i like both centers. He also avg more points & rebs than shaq in their best seasons..shaq doesn't even register on top 50 rebounding avgs in history. As much as i loved shaq's personality & his game... I bring up shaq because he considers himself the most dominant yet couldn't beat out David Robinson, charles barkley, Karl Malone for an MVP in the 90s. Karl Malone won two MVPS in the 90s but shaq couldn't win one?
Great post!

I'm going to have to reevaluate my top 10 and put Moses Malone in but either Hakeem Olajuwon or Shaquille O'Neal have to go. I have to think about it.
+4   

2 months ago '21        #16
The Chosen One  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 13676 13 K  Slaps total: 4785 4 K
 YouSmokeReggie said
Being born in 94 I always wanted to know the story to some of these guys and why they were looked at so greatly

So even tho you be sh*ttin on them n*ggas team and whatnot
You still provide facts for someone like me who donít know nothin and wasnít really around back then

Thatís why I call these class lessons

They dope
But now you're hating on OP ?

+1   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+31online now  29
Image(s) inside Whatís the Best Row Outta These Legendary Nikes!?
74 comments
23 hours ago
@gear
most viewed right now
-25online now  24
[Workout] Why are there some obese guys lifting weights instead of on the trea..
62 comments
23 hours ago
@misc
most viewed right now
online now  18
Airpods concept
24 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
+103online now  16
Is staying single the way to go??