How One Of Michael Scott's Jokes On The Office Ended Up Costing $60,000

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
45 replies  @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tv / movies

2 months ago '18        #1
1241 page views
11 comments

Eclectic  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x169
Props total: 206508 206 K  Slaps total: 7710 7 K
How One Of Michael Scott's Jokes On The Office Ended Up Costing $60,000

"Few things are as unstoppable as "The Office." It's been years since the last time I went through the series, but the perpetual stream of gifs and memes makes it feel like the show truly never left.

Should your rewatch need an extra boost of Dunder Mifflin excitement, Jenna Fischer and Angela Kinsey have you covered with the podcast "Office Ladies," in which the pair extensively cover one episode every single week, dishing out all of the behind the scenes goodies any "Office" fan could ask for. The series is currently up to season 6 with "The Chump," but the episode detailing "Benihana Christmas" features a very pricey revelation about one of Michael Scott's jokes.

At the start of the "Benihana Christmas" two-parter, Michael (Steve Carell) talks about how excited he is to surprise his girlfriend Carol (Nancy Carell) with a trip to Jamaica. While doing so, he briefly sings Eddie Money's "Two Tickets to Paradise." And that moment of Michael holding up the tickets for the Sandals resort apparently left the "Office" team with a notable bill.

Two tickets to paradise comes with a hefty price tag

When the Office Ladies reached the "Benihana Christmas" episode, writer Jen Celotta talked about how shocked she was when she learned from producer Kent Zbornak that the joke she had written for Carell ended up with a hefty price tag of $60,000:

"I was like, it's a fine joke, but none of my jokes I've ever written have been a 60,000 dollar joke. But I remember not so long after that we had some of our music budget pulled away from us. And I can't help but think I mean, I was sitting at the mix and had no idea that because he sang that song, that song had to be cleared and that joke was 60,000 dollars."

Whoops! It's such a brief moment, but apparently that's all it takes for Money's estate to collect on the gag, which feels very much in line with a mistake that Michael would probably make. I imagine it was worth it, given that it joins Carell's gallery of memes. Even if you've never seen a single episode, there is a 99.9% chance that you've encountered a meme that features Michael doing his cringe face. When there is nothing left, there will be only a gif of him yelling "NO!" at Toby. But at the very least, it won't cost $60,000.

Every episode of "The Office" is currently streaming on Peacock."

Read More: visit this link https://www.slashfilm.com .. _campaign=clip
+3   

best
worst
11 comments

2 months ago '16        #2
BobbiHeadRagTop  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x13
Props total: 128956 128 K  Slaps total: 5465 5 K
Gangim Flikka plair
+3   

2 months ago '19        #3
HOH4ever 
Props total: 1396 1 K  Slaps total: 300 300
Worth every laugh
+4   

2 months ago '04        #4
Marccoogs19  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 17195 17 K  Slaps total: 551 551
Music rights are crazy. 60K just for that one line.
+4   

2 months ago '09        #5
slayer2020 
Props total: 8628 8 K  Slaps total: 2452 2 K
My girl rewatches this sh*t so much. I simply cannot understand the interest. The show depresses me.
+3   

2 months ago '15        #6
Belief 
Props total: 8419 8 K  Slaps total: 1069 1 K
The Office and King of Queens never get old

Fresh Prince too
+6   

2 months ago '10        #7
p a p oh 
Props total: 1016 1 K  Slaps total: 83 83
 slayer2020 said
My girl rewatches this sh*t so much. I simply cannot understand the interest. The show depresses me.
I used to be like that, watched the first season and was like how the fu*k do people watch this show. A coworker told me to push through the first season , and so far I’ve rewatched it about 6-7 times from season 1 to season 9
+7   

2 months ago '19        #8
WarriorKing 
Props total: 1046 1 K  Slaps total: 167 167
On my off days I love to burn one and watch the office.

Secretary’s Day one of my favorites
+4   

2 months ago '19        #9
WarriorKing 
Props total: 1046 1 K  Slaps total: 167 167
 p a p oh said
I used to be like that, watched the first season and was like how the fu*k do people watch this show. A coworker told me to push through the first season , and so far I’ve rewatched it about 6-7 times from season 1 to season 9

I used to hate it but it’s funny AF now
+2   

2 months ago '07        #10
yola  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x83
Props total: 119501 119 K  Slaps total: 16563 16 K
 Marccoogs19 said
Music rights are crazy. 60K just for that one line.
yep, but you know what songwriters say when people complain about synchronization licenses?

"write your own fu*kin song then"

they gotta be steep, they paid one time and 10 years later people are still talking about the show and they'll still be talking about in 10-20 years too and then there's all the re-runs in syndication, DVD sales, VOD, streaming and libraries

when you calculate the number of times that "one line" has gone into human ears while watching The Office and amplified the scene, 60K isn't really that much

2 months ago '06        #11
RAZAH CUTS  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x84
Props total: 71995 71 K  Slaps total: 10125 10 K
Eddie Money was the man... .RIP..

2 months ago '17        #12
Pythagoras  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 67033 67 K  Slaps total: 14237 14 K
 slayer2020 said
The show is hilarious wtf.
+1   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+57online now  18
Image(s) inside Gaming Setup Thread
137 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
online now  12
Image(s) inside Sep 26 - Hurricane Ian.. Florida Yall prepared?
156 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
online now  7
Sep 26 - 30-year fixed mortgage rate jumps to 6.8%. Highest reading since 2008..
53 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
-37online now  3
[Workout] I Might Transition to Female So I Can Be Like Her
49 comments
1 day ago
@misc
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy