Jun 29 - couple buys house in seattle......comcast wanted to charge $27000 for internet

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

2 months ago '09        #1
5776 page views
164 comments

messy marv stan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x88
Props total: 272616 272 K  Slaps total: 29260 29 K
Jun 29 - couple buys house in seattle......comcast wanted to charge $27000 for internet

visit this link https://arstechnica.com/t .. ld-cost-27000/

image City "has no authority to require Comcast" to connect unserved homes

When Zachary Cohn and his wife bought a house in the Northgate neighborhood of Seattle, Washington, they didn't expect any trouble getting home Internet service. It was only after closing on the house in July 2019 that they learned the bad news. "All six neighbors I share a property line with are wired for Comcast, but our house never was," Cohn told Ars.

Comcast's predecessor company had wired up the neighborhood with cable decades earlier and the ISP provides high-speed broadband to the abutting properties. But the cable TV and Internet service provider never extended a line to the house purchased by Cohn and his wife, Lauryl Zenobi.

Cohn spent many months trying to get answers from Comcast on how he and Zenobi could get Internet service. Eventually, he contacted his City Councillor's office, which was able to get a real response from Comcast.

Comcast ultimately said it would require installing 181 feet of underground cable to connect the house and that the couple would have to pay Comcast over $27,000 to make that happen. Cohn and Zenobi did not pay the $27,000, and they've been relying on a 4G hotspot ever since.
“I was just flabbergasted”

"I was just flabbergasted that a house like this, in an area like this, could possibly have never been wired for Internet," Cohn said in a phone interview. Because the house is "in the middle of Seattle, it didn't even dawn on me that that was possible," he said, adding that the lack of Internet service would be "more understandable if I was two miles from my nearest neighbor."

The Seattle Kraken hockey team's $80 million practice facility is in the same Northgate neighborhood, about a half-mile from the house. There's a major bus station in the area, a light rail station that recently opened nearby, and an elementary school within about a 90-second walk, Cohn said, noting that the property is "well within the Seattle city limits."

The house, built in 1964, is also about 10 miles from both T-Mobile Park, where the Seattle Mariners play, and Lumen Field, the Seattle Seahawks stadium named after CenturyLink's Lumen brand. T-Mobile doesn't offer its new home Internet service at the house. CenturyLink offers Internet service at Cohn's address—but only its ancient DSL with download speeds of up to 3Mbps and upload speeds up to 500kbps. Cable and fiber just aren't available at the house

Not our first Comcast horror story

We've written about other people who bought houses without realizing there was no home Internet service, but those stories generally took place in small towns or rural areas. In some cases, Comcast's website and customer service employees falsely told home buyers that service was available due to errors in the company's availability database

Comcast availability data wasn't a problem in this case, as Cohn said he didn't think to check that there was a Comcast connection before closing on the Seattle house. "Honestly, I didn't even think to look. What house in the middle of Seattle wouldn't be wired for reasonable Internet?" Cohn said.

Cohn contacted Ars after reading one of our previous Comcast horror stories, hoping to get the word out to others that an Internet connection is no guarantee even in densely populated cities—and even when all your neighbors have service.

Government broadband programs generally focus on "connecting neighborhoods in particular underserved communities, which I think is great," Cohn said. But he wants people to know "there are large swaths of people, both in large geographic areas and in small individual cases, that just never got connected to high-speed Internet, and how difficult it is to go through life without that sort of connection."

While Cohn's situation is unusual because all the surrounding houses have broadband, he's far from the only urban dweller without modern service. It's particularly a problem in lower-income areas where ISPs have chosen not to upgrade old telephone lines
+11   

best
worst
164 comments

2 months ago '10        #2
lltreyll 
Props total: 9824 9 K  Slaps total: 3000 3 K
"The house, built in 1964"

Original owners must of lived there a long time, and couldn't of given a sh*t about cable or internet. Probably because they were old school, considering the house was built in fu*kin 1964.
+53   

2 months ago '16        #3
Stables08 
Props total: 25978 25 K  Slaps total: 5453 5 K
That entitlement
+16   

2 months ago '14        #4
Christian238 
Props total: 10561 10 K  Slaps total: 978 978
Sounds like a great time to learn to live without it...

Wish I could be put into a similar circumstance...I know I'd be tight as fu*k in the beginning but we humans...we adapt...

+28   

2 months ago '18        #5
Proffesor X  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 79554 79 K  Slaps total: 18687 18 K
 stables08 said
That entitlement
Exactly..it's kind of fu*ked up..but what are you going to do...internet is a privilege not a right
+5   

2 months ago '04        #6
jaynat603  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 13689 13 K  Slaps total: 1411 1 K
 Proffesor X said
Exactly..it's kind of fu*ked up..but what are you going to do...internet is a privilege not a right
This. Tell that to the people of today, they'll be outside your house with pitchforks and their Twitter and Reddit guns pointing at you
+4   

2 months ago '11        #7
Sin  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x53
Props total: 190521 190 K  Slaps total: 25479 25 K
I would have spliced and extended the line my damn self for free

Well at my jobs expense nobody would miss the cable or splicer for a weekend
+30   

2 months ago '05        #8
carden2 
Props total: 10548 10 K  Slaps total: 1591 1 K
that's why you support the small companies and pay for them to drop a line on your property so you don't have to deal with this kind of bullsh*t. i moved and got the smallest internet company possible and they dropped a line then came a week later to bury it. I got gig speed and probably the only one on my street using them for internet. to top it all off, the customer service is top notch.
+49   

2 months ago '06        #9
KornerBoy 
Props total: 5469 5 K  Slaps total: 513 513
 Sin said
I would have spliced and extended the line my damn self for free

Well at my jobs expense nobody would miss the cable or splicer for a weekend
People can't go minutes without the internet.
+6   

2 months ago '04        #10
Twotwenty 
Props total: 10289 10 K  Slaps total: 940 940
Sounds like a perfect time to get cool with your neighbors. Then you can work out a deal when you can use their internet
+9   

2 months ago '04        #11
Tastemaker331  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x29
Props total: 68004 68 K  Slaps total: 8079 8 K
 Christian238 said
Sounds like a great time to learn to live without it...

Wish I could be put into a similar circumstance...I know I'd be tight as fu*k in the beginning but we humans...we adapt...

You probably think you sound smart
People use the net to...pay bills, run businesses, keep up with the news, entertain themselves, educate themselves. If you don’t have the net, you’re pretty cut off from the world

Some of you dudes say anything
 carden2 said
that's why you support the small companies and pay for them to drop a line on your property so you don't have to deal with this kind of bullsh*t. i moved and got the smallest internet company possible and they dropped a line then came a week later to bury it. I got gig speed and probably the only one on my street using them for internet. to top it all off, the customer service is top notch.
What company is that? I wasn’t aware that there were small time internet companies
+28   

2 months ago '18        #12
Browneyezz 
Props total: 1032 1 K  Slaps total: 65 65
Time to send in starlink
+7   

2 months ago '06        #13
"SS"  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 30288 30 K  Slaps total: 1998 1 K
I would just knock at the neighbors door like aye bruh let me get that wifi password
+18   

2 months ago '06        #14
"SS"  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 30288 30 K  Slaps total: 1998 1 K
 Tastemaker331 said
People use the net to...pay bills, run businesses, keep up with the news, entertain themselves, educate themselves. If you don’t have the net, you’re pretty cut off from the world

What company is that? I wasn’t aware that there were small time internet companies
There is, but they just purchase comcasts sh*t at a discount and sell it back to you
+4   

2 months ago '20        #15
Gen Anti Fruit  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x29
Props total: 122215 122 K  Slaps total: 5834 5 K
I lived off hotspot for a couple months once.

It actually wasn’t that bad except towards the end of the month when my 40GB of hotspot was running out.

I was watching youtube & playing PS4 with that sh*t.

Sucks for this couple tho. Streaming movies eats up hella gigs so that would be out.
+9   

2 months ago '11        #16
Sin  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x53
Props total: 190521 190 K  Slaps total: 25479 25 K
 KornerBoy said
People can't go minutes without the internet.
5 out of the 10 years in my apartment i had no internet

And i think I’ve had cable for 3 out of my 35 years on earth

Internet is a convenient for me, but it’s not a necessity like i need it for school
+8   

2 months ago '04        #17
nwking  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 29673 29 K  Slaps total: 3176 3 K
1. First world problems
2.North Gate is not Seattle in my book its NORTH GATE its like if you live Beaverton Oregon and say you live in Portland no you don't you live in Beaverton
+2   

2 months ago '17        #18
Skrr 
Props total: 7639 7 K  Slaps total: 1325 1 K
With the reliance on WFH etc I'm down for making internet a right and a utility. Europe smashes the states when it comes to consistent, high speed wireless, it's pathetic and expensive over here
+11   

2 months ago '04        #19
7twelve  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 52359 52 K  Slaps total: 10924 10 K
181 ft cuz they wanna hook it where where if any more people come out they dont have to reinstall cables lol
+5   

2 months ago '16        #20
seatownslayer  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 7427 7 K  Slaps total: 2204 2 K
 nwking said
1. First world problems
2.North Gate is not Seattle in my book its NORTH GATE its like if you live Beaverton Oregon and say you live in Portland no you don't you live in Beaverton
my n*gga i live close to northgate and its seattle..matter a fact it use to stretch even further unitl shoreline became its own city to save on taxes. aurora is as hood as it gets.. you got everything for section 8 til millionaires all living in the same 5 square miles. its as nice as it comes in some areas and walk ten minutes way and its as sh*t as it can get. northgate is as seattle as it comes brodie.. you dont have to live downtown to be on seattle. in no different then the cd, queen anne, west seattle, ballard,or ANY fu*king neighborhood thai isnt located in the heart of downtown... all seattle is suburban like with a big city feel, with more shops and thing to do close then most suburbs.... unless uoub livd downtown then it like every major city in america.. LA sanfran sandeigo.. not quit as busy as NYC but thats expected. nothgate is as north as seattle goes... it the city limits one of the best places to live in seattle imo if you dont want to much crime but alos want to get into something.. not night life tho.. more fun and hustle something type of stuff... but again you dead wrong northgate is seattle.. the last of seattle as north as it gets.. saying you live in seattle and being in Tacoma or bothel or shoreline is like lving in beaverton oregon and saying you live in portland... if you want to see my proper taxes.. you can see how seattle it is

Last edited by seatownslayer; 06-29-2022 at 10:26 PM..
+11   

2 months ago '18        #21
sysmbx 
Props total: 6395 6 K  Slaps total: 4223 4 K
Been living on a hotspot for years now in my house since there's no Internet lines where I live for some reason, no issues as far as speed or connectivity. Been playing 2K/GTA online and streaming everything for years now
+10   

2 months ago '18        #22
ChrisPartlowFro 
Props total: 43170 43 K  Slaps total: 5507 5 K
 Proffesor X said
…most job applications are on the internet as well as applications for government programs…

The digital divide is a real thing the government has spent money trying to bridge.

Y’all got it though
+12   

2 months ago '11        #23
SomeOnesoN  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 23125 23 K  Slaps total: 3535 3 K
Internet should be a public utility. These internet service providers, especially Comcast, usually have many monopoly strongholds across the country, and a lot of people have to deal with their greedy bullsh*t. So much for free trade and the f̶r̶e̶e̶d̶o̶m̶ illusion of choice.
+22   

2 months ago '21        #24
Fdotlawless 
Props total: 207 207  Slaps total: 7 7
I’m the type go to directly to my nearest neighbor and ask about connecting to their Wi-Fi. Itf it’s serious enough I’ll pay them to upgrade their plan and I’ll pay the difference.
+4   

2 months ago '05        #25
carden2 
Props total: 10548 10 K  Slaps total: 1591 1 K
 Tastemaker331 said

As an example look at the names there are 2 companies that seem small time. I’d go with one of them and see what they can do. You aren’t stuck in the rate hike monopoly
+3   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+277online now  13
Image(s) inside Aug 15 - Haitian teen finds a baby in the garbage in Haiti & decides t..
101 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
-64online now  9
Video inside 15 Signs of a Low Value Man
126 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+59online now  6
Video inside Desus Formerly Of 'Desus & Mero' Is Getting Another Bag Already...
108 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  5
Image(s) inside the agenda is real
327 comments
1 day ago
@movies
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy