Xbox Cloud Gaming is finally rolling out big latency improvements

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section games

1 month ago '21        #1
486 page views
7 comments

Waddup Doe 
Props total: 2718 2 K  Slaps total: 425 425
Xbox Cloud Gaming is finally rolling out big latency improvements

Microsoft has detailed its work on latency improvements for games on the cloud-based platform. And what's more, mouse and keyboard support is still due to come later this year.

At present, Xbox Cloud Gaming's display pipeline bears a latency of around 8-74 milliseconds. That's the time it takes for controller inputs to register in-game. However, it's now working on bringing its Direct Capture tech to a wider number of games on the service. This will cut latency to an impressively low 2-12 milliseconds, according to the latest update(opens in new tab) from Xbox Game Streaming Team's Morgan Brown.

Similarly to many of the best 4K TVs, Direct Capture slashes latency by disabling a number of features. These include HDR, dynamic scaling and a 1440p resolution cap. That last one we won't have to worry about just yet. Xbox Cloud Gaming is capped to 1080p on PC and Xbox Series X|S, and 720p on mobile at present.

Microsoft has also reinforced its desire to bring mouse and keyboard support to Xbox Cloud Gaming. Brown, a software engineer on the team says that Xbox is "working on adding it to streaming for PC users." Frustratingly, though, we still have no firm date on when mouse and keyboard support will land.

The baffling omission means that currently, PC players are relegated to using a controller on the streaming service. Additionally, it'll likely mean that mouse and keyboard-based games on Xbox Game Pass like Age of Empires 4 will finally be made available via the cloud.

Direct Capture is already supported by a handful of games on the Xbox Cloud Gaming service. But we're happy to see Microsoft start to roll the feature out to a wider selection of titles. However, limitations like disabling HDR and scaling very much show that even the best cloud gaming services are still in their infancy.

We're not going to pour cold water on Microsoft's efforts here, though. Lower latency is crucial in competitive multiplayer environments where responsiveness gives players an advantage.

visit this link https://www.techradar.com .. y-improvements
+6   

best
worst
7 comments

1 month ago '16        #2
Quinn 
Props total: 17328 17 K  Slaps total: 3136 3 K
it was good before when i was using it on my phone. it getting better is another W

+3   

1 month ago '20        #3
5ive04our  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x202
Props total: 109271 109 K  Slaps total: 22167 22 K
Heard a rumor Sony switched cloud based services to Google I hope not that’s suicide.
+3   

1 month ago '17        #4
SPdaGOAT  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 106419 106 K  Slaps total: 40452 40 K
They report this every two weeks

1 month ago '10        #5
dfro 
Props total: 5233 5 K  Slaps total: 297 297
If the PC titles get cloud support that would be dope. I wanted to play aoe4 but my computer is too dog sh*t.
They have to scale everything down but cloud gaming has definitely made improvements in the 2 years or so it's been around.
At the rate technology & internet speeds are advancing I wouldn't be surprised if hardware for gaming purposes was completely phased out in the next decade or so.
+1   

1 month ago '11        #6
xArchangeLx 
Props total: 7398 7 K  Slaps total: 1833 1 K
I actually like xcloud gaming
Pretty easy and seamless

If only they had more games I liked on there it'd be really good
But yeah they got it down for sure, cool feature

I can do this with Playstation games now too but my PS gotta be on but I can connect anywhere via my phone

God I love technology
+2   

1 month ago '12        #7
GucciBoy347 
Props total: 2487 2 K  Slaps total: 465 465
thats great. I tried with an fps on my series x and I couldn't do it. sh*t felt delayed asffff

1 month ago '04        #8
cuzjuan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 11301 11 K  Slaps total: 4385 4 K
 Quinn said
it was good before when i was using it on my phone. it getting better is another W

atleast the 3rd time its gotten better

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+65online now  35
Article inside Original Predator Actor Responds To Prey On Hulu
147 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
-16online now  33
Video inside Video goes viral for taking the top off a big mac
66 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+188online now  21
When You're Trying to Avoid a RICO Charge....
82 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+68online now  21
50 CENT’S ORIGINAL REFERENCE TRACK for “THE GAME - HIGHER” HAS LEAKED 🤯
253 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy