Jun 29 - Atheist worker fired after refusing to attend company’s Christian prayer in NC

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
+40  51
101 replies  @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

1 month ago '07        #1
1697 page views
69 comments

yola  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x82
Props total: 117540 117 K  Slaps total: 16293 16 K
Jun 29 - Atheist worker fired after refusing to attend company’s Christian prayer in NC

visit this link https://www.newsobserver. .. 262957338.html

A home repair company’s mandatory daily Christian prayer sessions for its employees were becoming “less tolerable” for an atheist construction manager who refused to continue attending — resulting in his firing in North Carolina, federal officials said in a lawsuit.

His boss told him “he did not have to believe in God, and he did not have to like the prayer meetings, but he had to participate” before the worker was fired in the fall of 2020, according to a complaint filed by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission against the Greensboro-based business.

This came after his pay was cut in half.

The worker was asked to lead a prayer session on one occasion, despite making his beliefs known, prior to losing his job with Aurora Pro Services, the EEOC said.

Now the company is being sued for religious discrimination and is accused of punishing workers who did not want to attend the meetings, which also involved Bible readings and roll call, the agency said in a Tuesday, June 28, news release.

The meetings were mandatory from at least June 2020.

This comes after another worker, a customer service representative, was fired in January 2021 after she felt the meetings, which went on for nearly an hour, were becoming “cult-like” and stopped attending due to her agnostic beliefs, according to the lawsuit.

An agnostic individual does not commit to any view regarding the existence of a higher religious power.

McClatchy News contacted the company for comment on June 28 and was awaiting a response.

On its website, the Aurora Pro Services states, “We’ll never hire rude people, and we will get rid of anybody not using their best manners.”

THE MANDATORY MEETINGS

The company’s owner, who was known for his “short-tempered and confrontational” nature, held the prayer meetings as part of the “business model,” according to a complaint.

This was a basis to remain employed.

However, the requirement is not advertised on the company website’s career page that lists what is expected of those applying to work there.

The daily prayer sessions involved workers gathering in a circle as the company’s owner or another individual would pray, the complaint said.

Occasionally, the leader of the session would ask for prayer requests.

Sometimes, these requests were “offered for poor performing employees” who were called out for mistakes in front of their colleagues, according to the EEOC.

When it came to the meeting’s Bible readings, the former customer service representative said it came off as “ranting” and eventually, her boss began having everyone chant “the Catholic version of the Lord’s Prayer in unison,” the complaint said.

Before the former construction manager refused to attend the meetings entirely, he had offered to attend portions of them, according to the EEOC.

However, his boss said “it would be in his ‘best interest’” to attend the sessions in their entirety, the complaint states.

The atheist worker’s objections led to his base pay getting cut in half on Sept. 3, 2020 — from $800 to $400 per week — ahead of his firing, according to the EEOC.

The agency’s lawsuit is seeking to fine Aurora Pro Services for violating Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which protects workers from religious discrimination, and award the two former workers monetary relief, the news release said.

“Employers who sponsor prayer meetings in the workplace have a legal obligation to accommodate employees whose personal religious or spiritual views conflict with the company’s practice,” Melinda C. Dugas, the attorney for the EEOC’s district in Charlotte, said in a statement.
+7   

best
worst
69 comments

1 month ago '07        #2
yola  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x82 OP
Props total: 117540 117 K  Slaps total: 16293 16 K
imagine a muslim, atheist or a satanist trying the same thing

this is just the beginning

let the the wilding begin

they're shooting themselves in the foot on the long game, but they'll be able to hurt a lot of people in the interim
+26   

1 month ago '17        #3
WHATEVERMAN 
Props total: 21968 21 K  Slaps total: 2220 2 K
Tell me you don't know God without telling me you don't know God. Ok, first off...if this owner was really about the Word and God, he'd know that including a non-beleiver in prayer is actually counterproductive because he's not in agreement with anything you pray to the Father (and prayer is most powerful when the parties involved in prayer are in agreement). Secondly, Jesus never forced anyone to believe anything He said, He simply told the truth and allowed peoples faith (through God's calling) to bring them to an acceptance of what He spoke. This my friends is simply a demonstration of the difference between "religion" and genuine service to the Lord/communion with God. Firing that man does nothing to advance God's kingdom on Earth, it only serves to besmirch the good name of God through hypocrisy and sour this man on the greatest relationship he could ever ask for all in the name of vain pride. I'm so tiring of reading about "religious" people like this misrepresenting my faith and my God. Just know Jesus isn't my religion, He's my Lord and my God (along with YHWH and His Spirit). When it's all said and done, "religion" doesn't save anyone, but faith in Jesus, repentance of sin, humility and the fear of God does.
+14   

1 month ago '11        #4
shellz386  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 23773 23 K  Slaps total: 3164 3 K
I'm Christian but this government merger is wrong AF
+11   

1 month ago '07        #5
Damagegadget  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 68333 68 K  Slaps total: 9147 9 K
They will reap their own judgement
+1   

1 month ago '12        #6
goodkidmadworld 
Props total: 21203 21 K  Slaps total: 1227 1 K
 WHATEVERMAN said
Tell me you don't know God without telling me you don't know God. Ok, first off...if this owner was really about the Word and God, he'd know that including a non-beleiver in prayer is actually counterproductive because he's not in agreement with anything you pray to the Father (and prayer is most powerful when the parties involved in prayer are in agreement). Secondly, Jesus never forced anyone to believe anything He said, He simply told the truth and allowed peoples faith (through God's calling) to bring them to an acceptance of what He spoke. This my friends is simply a demonstration of the difference between "religion" and genuine service to the Lord/communion with God. Firing that man does nothing to advance God's kingdom on Earth, it only serves to besmirch the good name of God through hypocrisy and sour this man on the greatest relationship he could ever ask for all in the name of vain pride. I'm so tiring of reading about "religious" people like this misrepresenting my faith and my God. Just know Jesus isn't my religion, He's my Lord and my God (along with YHWH and His Spirit). When it's all said and done, "religion" doesn't save anyone, but faith in Jesus, repentance of sin, humility and the fear of God does.
I wish I could prop this a hundred times, couldn’t say it any better myself my brother
+6   

1 month ago '06        #7
jj01 
Props total: 36079 36 K  Slaps total: 11078 11 K
What the hell is wrong with these conservative religious radicals? Why is behavior like this tolerated bc they hide behind a book? This gets worse and worse and this country allows it. Straight filth
+16   

1 month ago '14        #8
rashadd 
Props total: 32694 32 K  Slaps total: 2149 2 K
"This comes after another worker, a customer service representative, was fired in January 2021 after she felt the meetings, which went on for nearly an hour, were becoming “cult-like” and stopped attending due to her agnostic beliefs, according to the lawsuit."

That's a little too much. And for that reason I would also be out

+6   

1 month ago '06        #9
Props total: 3237 3 K  Slaps total: 537 537
 WHATEVERMAN said
When it's all said and done, "religion" doesn't save anyone, but faith in Jesus, repentance of sin, humility and the fear of God does.
How do you know? Please don't strawman either and quote the bible to validate the bible.

What makes Jesus the singular path of entry into "heaven" based on evidence?

Its funny how you say "my God"... u know "God" is a German word from the late 1700s...what about this philosophy makes you believe any of it?

I can only a*sume your black in America and believe in Judeo Christian beliefs because ancestors were slaves...like mine.

anyway, i hope he cleans this business out completely and sets precedent
+9   

1 month ago '09        #10
blacknacirema4 
Props total: 867 867  Slaps total: 202 202
This is that type of clown behavior that further deters people away from God (and Christianity).
+9   

1 month ago '15        #11
SmokinBigDope  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 19454 19 K  Slaps total: 3491 3 K
Is he getting paid to pray??? GTFOH!! But he definitely getting paid not to now.

+9   

1 month ago '21        #12
Jonny2soxs  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x10
Props total: 22792 22 K  Slaps total: 5995 5 K
I’m Christian and they shouldn’t have done this
+7   

1 month ago '15        #13
PineappleOG  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 49896 49 K  Slaps total: 9533 9 K
I'm not Christian and they shouldn't have done this
+21   

1 month ago '21        #14
nocomment  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x9
Props total: 31621 31 K  Slaps total: 4530 4 K
 WHATEVERMAN said
what ever man
+4   

1 month ago '17        #15
lucifershammer  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 74232 74 K  Slaps total: 7140 7 K
Work and church are two places I avoid or do some "mental prep work" in the parking lot before going in

I know guy who worked at a neuropathy center where they had bible study.
+1   

1 month ago '17        #16
WHATEVERMAN 
 9.18 said
How do you know? Please don't strawman either and quote the bible to validate the bible.

What makes Jesus the singular path of entry into "heaven" based on evidence?

Its funny how you say "my God"... u know "God" is a German word from the late 1700s...what about this philosophy makes you believe any of it?

I can only a*sume your black in America and believe in Judeo Christian beliefs because ancestors were slaves...like mine.

anyway, i hope he cleans this business out completely and sets precedent
God's Spirit within me testifies of the infallibility of scripture and the truthfulness of Jesus. Only advice I can give you is that if you really want to know if Jesus really is the truth, first humble yourself and stop relying on human "wisdom", and present yourself before God in prayer and ask, "Jesus, if you really are the Son of God, please reveal yourself to me." If you really come to Him with a contrite heart (genuinely desiring to know the truth), open minded, and not as a skeptic/naysayer who's pridefully seeking to have his skepticism validated, He will give you all the evidence you will need and you will never see the world the same way ever again.

1 month ago '21        #17
Tlatoani  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 33134 33 K  Slaps total: 8298 8 K
These people are delusional. Only way you become a devout Christian is by not actually knowing your Bible.
+7   

1 month ago '21        #18
 WHATEVERMAN said
God's Spirit within me testifies of the infallibility of scripture and the truthfulness of Jesus. Only advice I can give you is that if you really want to know if Jesus really is the truth, first humble yourself and stop relying on human "wisdom", and present yourself before God in prayer and ask, "Jesus, if you really are the Son of God, please reveal yourself to me." If you really come to Him with a contrite heart (genuinely desiring to know the truth), open minded, and not as a skeptic/naysayer who's pridefully seeking to have his skepticism validated, He will give you all the evidence you will need and you will never see the world the same way ever again.
So placebo effect.

Got it.
+10   

1 month ago '17        #19
WHATEVERMAN 
 goodkidmadworld said
I wish I could prop this a hundred times, couldn’t say it any better myself my brother
Yeah, it's a trip having to battle against scoffers, the distortions of imposters, and the kingdom of darkness all at the same time, but it's what we're called to do.

1 month ago '15        #20
RuggedDrifter 
Props total: 3270 3 K  Slaps total: 265 265
Not surprised. Christians are pushy af.
+12   

1 month ago '08        #21
get_ate 
Props total: 4460 4 K  Slaps total: 340 340
This is completely unrelated but related...

There's a gym out here in San Diego that holds bible study and makes it well known that the owners are devout. To me, business and religion shouldn't mix like that. The sh*t is off-putting.
+9   

1 month ago '16        #22
Eastcoast 
Props total: 10422 10 K  Slaps total: 2844 2 K
Sue them to hell.

yola said
imagine a muslim, atheist or a satanist trying the same thing

this is just the beginning

let the the wilding begin

they're shooting themselves in the foot on the long game, but they'll be able to hurt a lot of people in the interim
But what about the modern women?
+5   

1 month ago '17        #23
WHATEVERMAN 
 Tlatoani said
So placebo effect.

Got it.
"Then the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Why do You speak to the people in parables?” He replied, “The knowledge of the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them. Whoever has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him. This is why I speak to them in parables: ‘Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not hear or understand.' In them the prophecy of Isaiah is fulfilled: ‘You will be ever hearing but never understanding; you will be ever seeing but never perceiving. For this people’s heart has grown callous; they hardly hear with their ears, and they have closed their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts, and turn, and I would heal them." - Matthew 13:10-15

1 month ago '04        #24
xbossxplayax 
Props total: 29737 29 K  Slaps total: 5102 5 K
im a spineless fvck; i'd just show up n stick around if thats what it takes to keep my job

even tho my faith is thin, i still love being around ppl who genuinely want things to get better for them spiritually. just watching them n listening to what they are concerned about and how they try to look up in the sky and ask for answers.. all fascinating

miles better than being around other toxicity that comes a dime and a dozen in this ill society, i can tell you that

1 month ago '21        #25
 WHATEVERMAN said
"Then the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Why do You speak to the people in parables?” He replied, “The knowledge of the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them. Whoever has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him. This is why I speak to them in parables: ‘Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not hear or understand.' In them the prophecy of Isaiah is fulfilled: ‘You will be ever hearing but never understanding; you will be ever seeing but never perceiving. For this people’s heart has grown callous; they hardly hear with their ears, and they have closed their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts, and turn, and I would heal them." - Matthew 13:10-15
Cool little speech that the anonymous author of Matthew came up with.
+6   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+40online now  62
IM SORRY JUWANNA MAN IS HOW OLD?!? Miguel Nunez Reveals His Age: I Am 63ԅ..
90 comments
19 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+75online now  42
LeEmotional
46 comments
20 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+17online now  29
Video inside 2023 Toyota Crown [King Me]