Jun 27 - Louisiana judge blocks abortion trigger ban, abortions are legal in LA (for now)

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news /page 2

1 month ago '06        #1
541 page views
27 comments

Skateboard T  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 116432 116 K  Slaps total: 24761 24 K
Jun 27 - Louisiana judge blocks abortion trigger ban, abortions are legal in LA (for now)

Louisiana judge temporarily blocks abortion ban after U.S. Supreme Court ruling
By Nate Raymond

June 27 (Reuters) - A Louisiana judge on Monday temporarily blocked the state from enforcing Republican-backed laws banning abortion that were set to take effect after the U.S. Supreme Court's blockbuster decision to end the constitutional right to the procedure nationwide.

Louisiana is one of 13 states with "trigger laws" designed to ban or severely restrict abortions once the Supreme Court overturned the landmark 1973 Roe v. Wade ruling that recognized a right to the procedure was overturned, as it was on Friday.

n Hockstein
Register now for FREE unlimited access to Reuters.com

June 27 (Reuters) - A Louisiana judge on Monday temporarily blocked the state from enforcing Republican-backed laws banning abortion that were set to take effect after the U.S. Supreme Court's blockbuster decision to end the constitutional right to the procedure nationwide.

Louisiana is one of 13 states with "trigger laws" designed to ban or severely restrict abortions once the Supreme Court overturned the landmark 1973 Roe v. Wade ruling that recognized a right to the procedure was overturned, as it was on Friday. read more
Advertisement · Scroll to continue

Orleans Parish Civil District Court Judge Robin Giarrusso issued a temporary restraining order blocking Louisiana from carrying out its ban shortly after Hope Medical Group for Women in Shreveport, one of Louisiana's three abortion clinics, sued.

The clinic had argued that Louisiana's three trigger law bans violated its due process rights under the state's constitution and "lack constitutionally required safeguards to prevent arbitrary enforcement."

The Center for Reproductive Rights, which filed the lawsuit on the clinic's behalf, said abortion care is now resuming in the state after Giarrusso's order. The judge set a July 8 hearing to decide whether to further block enforcement of the ban.

Republican Attorney General Jeff Landry did not respond to requests for comment. He hailed the Supreme Court's decision on Friday, and at an event said that those who challenge the state's bans were "in for a rough f*ght."

The case is one of several challenging Republican-backed abortion laws under state constitutions after the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling.

A Utah branch of Planned Parenthood on Saturday sued over that state's trigger ban, and abortion rights advocates plan to challenge an Ohio ban on abortions after six weeks that took effect on Friday.

In Louisiana, Hope Medical argued the state's laws make it impossible to tell when they are in effect, if one or all of them collectively are in force, and what exact conduct is prohibited, such as if exceptions exist to save a pregnant woman's life.

That vagueness has resulted in state and local officials issuing conflicting statements about whether the trigger bans are in effect, the lawsuit in Orleans Civil District Court contended.
+3   

best
worst
27 comments

1 month ago '06        #2
Skateboard T  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7 OP

Obviously not much the Courts can do once the legislature comes back and addresses their errors, but looks like there are definitely going to be judges out there in these deep red states that are willing to buy some time.
+1   

1 month ago '06        #3
source:

1 month ago '20        #4
Xiox  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 67702 67 K  Slaps total: 12467 12 K
I like that sign

1 month ago '20        #5
Xiox  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 67702 67 K  Slaps total: 12467 12 K

1 month ago '18        #6
br82186  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x35
Props total: 60275 60 K  Slaps total: 4042 4 K
Keyword... for now
+3   

1 month ago '15        #7
Brewklyner  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x10
Props total: 22685 22 K  Slaps total: 6434 6 K
How can abortions be illegal - Doesn’t make sense since accidents happen all the time which equals to bad lives
+2   

1 month ago '05        #8
hily 
Props total: 3885 3 K  Slaps total: 569 569
healthcare workers are talking, the laws are too changing in the red states, rural red states are going to have people travelling a long way for care-- if they can because the exodus that started just got way worse.
Trying to keep up with changing daily covid protocols were a lot, but this is you cna go to prison if you don't let someone die laws.

1 month ago '06        #9
 Xiox said

Almost went to Tulane Law

1 month ago '06        #10
 hily said
healthcare workers are talking, the laws are too changing in the red states, rural red states are going to have people travelling a long way for care-- if they can because the exodus that started just got way worse.
Trying to keep up with changing daily covid protocols were a lot, but this is you cna go to prison if you don't let someone die laws.
Honestly you gotta be a real piece of sh*t DA to prosecute a doctor who performed a life saving abortion...
+2   

1 month ago '09        #11
Msfourfteleven 
Props total: 2276 2 K  Slaps total: 173 173
 Brewklyner said
How can abortions be illegal - Doesn’t make sense since accidents happen all the time which equals to bad lives
Also, how about it’s my body and I make my own decisions about my own body. I wouldn’t tell you not to get a vasectomy if you wanted one.

1 month ago '18        #12
OLITO 
Props total: 11421 11 K  Slaps total: 3825 3 K
she a orleans parish Judge, orleans parish politics dont reflect the state at all.....she just issued a temporary injunction.....July 8th the ban will go into effect...
+3   

1 month ago '17        #13
Ymmot  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 109885 109 K  Slaps total: 37301 37 K
fu*k the anti choice authoritarians.
+3   

1 month ago '15        #14
Brewklyner  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x10
Props total: 22685 22 K  Slaps total: 6434 6 K
 Msfourfteleven said
Also, how about it’s my body and I make my own decisions about my own body. I wouldn’t tell you not to get a vasectomy if you wanted one.
Not a good case cause suicides are illegal

1 month ago '18        #15
GoBucks  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x15
Props total: 77095 77 K  Slaps total: 6412 6 K
Anyone got the stats on new adoption inquiries since the scotus decision? I’m sure conservatives are falling over themselves to support.
+3   

1 month ago '06        #16
 OLITO said
she a orleans parish Judge, orleans parish politics dont reflect the state at all.....she just issued a temporary injunction.....July 8th the ban will go into effect...
Not necessarily, but probably.

1 month ago '22        #17
MONEY WORLD 
Props total: 2722 2 K  Slaps total: 1753 1 K
Roe wasn't rooted in constitutional fundamentalism in any sense, it really had no ground to stand on. Passing Roe was a mistake, now the states rightly get to decide. This is the right way to do it.

1 month ago '07        #18
willie_s 
Props total: 1213 1 K  Slaps total: 256 256
Why would you f*ght pro abortion like how many fetuses you hoes gotta k*ll before you strap up or get the pill

1 month ago '21        #19
Tlatoani  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 32928 32 K  Slaps total: 8252 8 K
 Brewklyner said
Not a good case cause suicides are illegal
Shouldn't be.

1 month ago '21        #20
Tlatoani  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 32928 32 K  Slaps total: 8252 8 K
 willie_s said
Why would you f*ght pro abortion like how many fetuses you hoes gotta k*ll before you strap up or get the pill
Ask the men who are skeeting in them.
+2   

1 month ago '19        #21
DripBayless 
Props total: 3393 3 K  Slaps total: 396 396
Page 2 ?

I guess.

I know this pissed off Landry tho

1 month ago '14        #22
Cuttysark 
Props total: 51373 51 K  Slaps total: 3651 3 K
As someone who spent a lot of time living in Louisiana

I'm genuinely shocked

Thought they'd be the first state to make it illegal

1 month ago '14        #23
NYSTATEOFMIND 
Props total: 15569 15 K  Slaps total: 909 909

1 month ago '16        #24
Stryder 
Props total: 2783 2 K  Slaps total: 623 623
 MONEY WORLD said
Roe wasn't rooted in constitutional fundamentalism in any sense, it really had no ground to stand on. Passing Roe was a mistake, now the states rightly get to decide. This is the right way to do it.
But when it comes to guns it's not the states right
+1   

1 month ago '22        #25
MONEY WORLD 
Props total: 2722 2 K  Slaps total: 1753 1 K
 Stryder said
But when it comes to guns it's not the states right
What? The right to bear arms is the second amendment. Where in the constitution does it declare Americans have the right to get an abortion?

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
-17online now  35
Video inside Video goes viral for taking the top off a big mac
70 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+68online now  29
50 CENT’S ORIGINAL REFERENCE TRACK for “THE GAME - HIGHER” HAS LEAKED 🤯
256 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+38online now  27
Image(s) inside Aug 10 - An INFORMANT told the FBI what docs Trump was hiding...and wh..
161 comments
18 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
online now  26
Image(s) inside Aug 10 - Elon Musk Admits Hyperloop was a Scam
44 comments
20 hours ago
@news
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy