Jun 23 - Here We Go: "Supreme Court" legalizes handguns for NYC and expands gun rights

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
30 replies  @wild'ish

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT section news

4 days ago '07        #1
6894 page views
258 comments

yola  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x81
Props total: 114210 114 K  Slaps total: 15712 15 K
Jun 23 - Here We Go: "Supreme Court" legalizes handguns for NYC and expands gun rights

visit this link https://apnews.com/articl .. f8761ffa84e3e8

WASHINGTON (AP) — In a major expansion of gun rights, the Supreme Court said Thursday that Americans have a right to carry firearms in public for self-defense.

The decision follows recent mass shootings and is expected to ultimately allow more people to legally carry guns on the streets of the nation’s largest cities — including New York, Los Angeles and Boston — and elsewhere. About a quarter of the U.S. population live in states expected to be affected by the ruling, which struck down a New York gun law. The decision, the high court’s first major gun decision in more than a decade, was 6-3 with the court’s conservatives in the majority and liberals in dissent.

The ruling comes as Congress is working toward passage of gun legislation following mass shootings in Texas,New York and California. On Thursday, senators were expected to clear the way for that measure, modest in scope but still the most far-reaching in decades.

President Joe Biden said in a statement he was “deeply disappointed” by the Supreme Court ruling, which he said “contradicts both common sense and the Constitution, and should deeply trouble us all.”

He urged states to pass new laws and said, “I call on Americans across the country to make their voices heard on gun safety. Lives are on the line.”

In the opinion itself, Justice Clarence Thomas wrote for the majority that the Constitution protects “an individual’s right to carry a handgun for self-defense outside the home.”

The decision struck down a New York law requiring people to demonstrate a particular need for carrying a gun in order to get a license to carry one in public. The justices said that requirement violates the Second Amendment right to “keep and bear arms.”

California, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey and Rhode Island all have similar laws. The Biden administration had urged the justices to uphold New York’s law.

New York Gov. Kathy Hochul said the ruling comes at a particularly painful time, when New York is still mourning the deaths of 10 people in a mass shooting at a supermarket in Buffalo. “This decision isn’t just reckless. It’s reprehensible. It’s not what New Yorkers want,” she said.

But Tom King, president of the plaintiff New York State Rifle and Pistol a*sociation, said he was relieved.

“The lawful and legal gun owner of New York State is no longer going to be persecuted by laws that have nothing to do with the safety of the people and will do nothing to make the people safer,” he said. “And maybe now we’ll start going after criminals and the perpetrator of these heinous acts.”

In a court dissent joined by his liberal colleagues, Justice Stephen Breyer focused on the toll taken by gun violence. “Since the start of this year alone (2022), there have already been 277 reported mass shootings—an average of more than one per day,“ Breyer wrote.

Backers of New York’s law had argued that striking it down would lead to more guns on the streets and higher rates of violent crime. Gun violence, which was already on the rise during the coronavirus pandemic has spiked anew.

In most of the country gun owners have little difficulty legally carrying their weapons in public. But that had been harder to do in New York and the handful of states with similar laws. New York’s law, which has been in place since 1913, says that to carry a concealed handgun in public, a person applying for a license has to show “proper cause,” a specific need to carry the weapon.

The state issues unrestricted licenses where a person can carry their gun anywhere and restricted licenses that allow a person to carry the weapon but just for specific purposes such as hunting and target shooting or to and from their place of business.

The Supreme Court last issued a major gun decision in 2010. In that decision and a ruling from 2008 the justices established a nationwide right to keep a gun at home for self-defense. The question for the court this time was about carrying one outside the home.

The challenge to the New York law was brought by the New York State Rifle & Pistol a*sociation, which describes itself as the nation’s oldest firearms advocacy organization, and two men seeking an unrestricted ability to carry guns outside their homes.

The court’s decision is somewhat out of step with public opinion. About half of voters in the 2020 presidential election said gun laws in the U.S. should be made more strict, according to AP VoteCast, an expansive survey of the electorate. An additional third said laws should be kept as they are, while only about 1 in 10 said gun laws should be less strict.

About 8 in 10 Democratic voters said gun laws should be made more strict, VoteCast showed. Among Republican voters, roughly half said laws should be kept as they are, while the remaining half closely divided between more and less strict.
+42   

best
worst
258 comments

4 days ago '21        #2
99LB 
Props total: 277 277  Slaps total: 38 38
Good sh*t.
+58   

4 days ago '15        #3
CZNM22  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 58467 58 K  Slaps total: 1775 1 K
Progress. All of these old-ass Jim Crow laws need to go.
+38   

4 days ago '11        #4
SomeOnesoN  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 21590 21 K  Slaps total: 3231 3 K

But real sh*t, that's great.
+4   

4 days ago '05        #5
bklyn 
Props total: 6170 6 K  Slaps total: 3234 3 K
Headline shouldnt say expands gun rights, should say restores gun rights. Shall not be infringed.

+103   

4 days ago '11        #6
gmacn 
Props total: 19441 19 K  Slaps total: 1720 1 K
Every human being should have the right to protect themselves… when seconds matter police are minutes away. This is a huge W…And fu*k you Woke f*g**ts in advance who disagree.
+118   

4 days ago '15        #7
yungkingjo 
Props total: 361 361  Slaps total: 112 112
I need a FN legally asap
+29   

4 days ago '17        #8
Skrr 
Props total: 6560 6 K  Slaps total: 1201 1 K
Time to dip out of this country for Italy

4 days ago '15        #9
CZNM22  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 58467 58 K  Slaps total: 1775 1 K
 gmacn said
When seconds matter police are minutes away.
I used to live literally down the road from our police station in an affluent area of town. One night, I had a guy banging on my windows and eventually tried to break into my car. I called the police and it still took them like 10 minutes, at least, to get to my crib. If that would have turned into a home invasion and I wasn't there, my folks could've been donezo.

A few years later, I ensured my whole family was strapped and adequately trained.
+74   

4 days ago '05        #10
bobbysteels18  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x33
Props total: 15028 15 K  Slaps total: 3700 3 K
About time with all crime in NYC , now people can protect them self's. But I don't think this changes much it's just leaves it up to the states. In NY it leaves all the laws in place making it hard to get a handgun, people are still going to have to apply for a permit and do all the extra stuff and wait like a year to get the permit, the only thing now is u won't need a reason to want a permit. Still can't go out and just buy a gun. As for the open carry not sure what that means I guess if u have a permit in new York you don't have to have your gun concealed I could be wrong. . But the Governor already said she's going to pass laws to make it harder for law abiding people to get guns.

Last edited by bobbysteels18; 06-24-2022 at 12:27 PM..
+16   

4 days ago '07        #11
Damagegadget  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 65278 65 K  Slaps total: 8604 8 K
Yes now instead of going to Atlanta they can save the trip.. people scared of their neighbors for no reason

Really don’t care I can print

And if there is anything I want to see it’s not letting them go to anyone and they bx member
+5   

4 days ago '17        #12
LostTenets  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x47
Props total: 111774 111 K  Slaps total: 32303 32 K
What's going to happen with people who have gun charges

For instance Roddy ricch just caught a gun charge in NY
+16   

4 days ago '10        #13
Bigg_Slime  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x44
Props total: 74164 74 K  Slaps total: 35268 35 K
 bklyn said
Headline shouldnt say expands gun rights, should say restores gun rights. Shall not be infringed.

^^this
+9   

4 days ago '07        #14
young mad 
Props total: 29433 29 K  Slaps total: 1556 1 K
 LostTenets said

They dismissed those charges already. Prior to this ruling.
+16   

4 days ago '17        #15
Iduzdis  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 18627 18 K  Slaps total: 4204 4 K
Supreme “restores” 2nd amendment rights to New York State Citizens/residents.

*FIXED
+27   

4 days ago '06        #16
Storchaveli  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 35212 35 K  Slaps total: 9136 9 K
Shootouts every other day. Get ready. Now every loser with a mixtape is gonna get one to live out his “gangsta” lifestyle dream.
+16   

4 days ago '16        #17
fam 
Props total: 6521 6 K  Slaps total: 2709 2 K
some white transplant podcaster in bed stuy is gonna put three in some black teenager's back for making him uncomfortable
+44   

4 days ago '15        #18
Villain  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 33565 33 K  Slaps total: 3820 3 K

+23   

4 days ago '21        #19
Tlatoani  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 26936 26 K  Slaps total: 7249 7 K
Why does everyone ignore the well-regulated militia part?

Do y'all seriously think the 2nd amendment means guns should be regulated less than driving a car?

That's stupid as hell.

Remember, these are the same men that believed all men were created equal and that slavery of black Africans was okay. You don't have to try so hard to be a purist, it's not good company to keep.
+33   

4 days ago '21        #20
Holycity21 
Props total: 1247 1 K  Slaps total: 65 65
 LostTenets said

If you a felon you ain't getting sh*t. That's the same everywhere unless you can get whatever charge expunged.
+13   

4 days ago '16        #21
fam 
Props total: 6521 6 K  Slaps total: 2709 2 K
 Skrr said
Time to dip out of this country for Italy
yup - new york city was already one of the two cities worth living in the states and now with these we might as well just be in east st. louis

my coworker recently transfered to our london office and loves it over there - we have one in amsterdam too that i've been eyeing
+8   

4 days ago '05        #22
EastBroadway  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x27
Props total: 8274 8 K  Slaps total: 1451 1 K
Time To f*ght BACK!
+2   

4 days ago '21        #23
Holycity21 
Props total: 1247 1 K  Slaps total: 65 65
I live in California and can't wait. I had sh*t anyway but rather be moving like a law abiding citizen
+17   

4 days ago '21        #24
NUF  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 5608 5 K  Slaps total: 703 703
Drill rappers with clean records are licking their chops rn

+27   

4 days ago '06        #25
Sammyboi22 
Props total: 10927 10 K  Slaps total: 1048 1 K
 fam said
yup - new york city was already one of the two cities worth living in the states and now with these we might as well just be in east st. louis

my coworker recently transfered to our london office and loves it over there - we have one in amsterdam too that i've been eyeing
Man my wife and I were talking while in Spain that if we didn’t want to be close to family we would move over there and buy a place.
+10   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+28online now  118
So the NBA stands for National Beige a*sociation now
92 comments
21 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+52online now  42
Stephanie Tanner from Full House gets manhandled by LAPD at Pro Choice protest..
167 comments
20 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
online now  27
Video inside Jun 26 - Orange County Deputy Suspended over Tik Tok Videos!
81 comments
21 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
+27online now  24
Jun 26 - RUDY GIULIANI SLAPPED INSIDE STATEN ISLAND SUPERMARKET
104 comments
20 hours ago
@news
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy