Pete Rock Says Drill Rap Is Trash: 'It Disrupts The Soul'

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section hiphop

1 month ago '18        #1
1955 page views
78 comments

Eclectic  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x154
Props total: 184836 184 K  Slaps total: 7119 7 K
Pete Rock Says Drill Rap Is Trash: 'It Disrupts The Soul'

He deleted the post on IG.

"Pete Rock had a lot to say on the Brooklyn drill movement, taking to Instagram to air out his frustrations with the booming subgenre.

“Good Morning Drill Rap,” the legendary producer wrote alongside a clip of New York Mayor Eric Adams playing a drill rap song during a press conference. “Thats trash hop not hip hop i been told yall about this kinda sh*t. idc call me what you want but that kinda hip hop is doo doo and it disrupts the soul i told yall that already man lol smh.”

He continued, “Nobody speaks up on this trash lol. Drill rap not even for the birds or the streets its the result of greed, people with no talent, and the destruction of the culture. Yall never see the play when it’s happening and everyone complains but does not speak up and say a word. Now this! this how we going out? Its on social media but who is really promoting this? talk about that smh.”

Pete Rock’s comments come after Eric Adams declared war against Brooklyn’s drill movement in February, saying in a press conference the music had contributed to a rise of violence in the city. He specifically cited the February 6 shooting of 18-year-old Bronx drill rapper C-Hii Wvttz, born Jayquan McKenle, who was gunned down in his car after he left a Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn recording studio.

“I didn’t know Jayquan, but his death hit me hard because the more I found out about Jayquan’s story, the more I saw how many times he had been failed by a system that is supposed to help boys like him,” Adams said in a tearful February 10 address.

He continued, “He was not just a victim now, but a perpetrator. But he was young, there was still time for him to turn the path of violence and move away from that,” Adams said. “Our system and justice system should have done more, more to help him, rehabilitate him.”

Pete Rock’s disdain for drill music hasn’t stopped the subgenre from exploding in popularity in recent years. Born in Chicago in the early 2010s, the movement began to gain mainstream traction in New York City around 2019 with Pop Smoke, but when he was tragically gunned down in February 2020, other rappers from different boroughs have since stepped into the fold, the most prominent face being Fivio Foreign, with other notable artists including Sheff G, Kay Flock and B-Lovee.

The subgenre has also gotten some major co-signs in recent months, with Cardi B praising Bronx drill in particular and hopping on a remix to Kay Flock’s “Shake It” in April.

“I don’t give a fu*k who you is, who you fu*k, what sh*t you jacking,” Cardi said in an Instagram Live session. “Get signed and get the fu*k out. You know why I fu*k with all of y’all? Because y’all getting the Bronx lit! Me and A Boogie, we became mainstream and everything, but you know there’s always a borough that they got sh*t going on. But right now, the Bronx really getting the sh*t muthafu*king lit. So shoutout to all y’all little muthafu*king drill rappers out there.”

visit this link https://hiphopdx.com/news .. rupts-the-soul
+54   

best
worst
78 comments

1 month ago '13        #2
Commission  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 113507 113 K  Slaps total: 18874 18 K
Factory
+24   

1 month ago '17        #3
THExTAKEOVER 
Props total: 25883 25 K  Slaps total: 2372 2 K
 Eclectic said
He deleted the post on IG.

"Pete Rock had a lot to say on the Brooklyn drill movement, taking to Instagram to air out his frustrations with the booming subgenre.

“Good Morning Drill Rap,” the legendary producer wrote alongside a clip of New York Mayor Eric Adams playing a drill rap song during a press conference. “Thats trash hop not hip hop i been told yall about this kinda sh*t. idc call me what you want but that kinda hip hop is doo doo and it disrupts the soul i told yall that already man lol smh.”

He continued, “Nobody speaks up on this trash lol. Drill rap not even for the birds or the streets its the result of greed, people with no talent, and the destruction of the culture. Yall never see the play when it’s happening and everyone complains but does not speak up and say a word. Now this! this how we going out? Its on social media but who is really promoting this? talk about that smh.”

Pete Rock’s comments come after Eric Adams declared war against Brooklyn’s drill movement in February, saying in a press conference the music had contributed to a rise of violence in the city. He specifically cited the February 6 shooting of 18-year-old Bronx drill rapper C-Hii Wvttz, born Jayquan McKenle, who was gunned down in his car after he left a Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn recording studio.

“I didn’t know Jayquan, but his death hit me hard because the more I found out about Jayquan’s story, the more I saw how many times he had been failed by a system that is supposed to help boys like him,” Adams said in a tearful February 10 address.

He continued, “He was not just a victim now, but a perpetrator. But he was young, there was still time for him to turn the path of violence and move away from that,” Adams said. “Our system and justice system should have done more, more to help him, rehabilitate him.”

Pete Rock’s disdain for drill music hasn’t stopped the subgenre from exploding in popularity in recent years. Born in Chicago in the early 2010s, the movement began to gain mainstream traction in New York City around 2019 with Pop Smoke, but when he was tragically gunned down in February 2020, other rappers from different boroughs have since stepped into the fold, the most prominent face being Fivio Foreign, with other notable artists including Sheff G, Kay Flock and B-Lovee.

The subgenre has also gotten some major co-signs in recent months, with Cardi B praising Bronx drill in particular and hopping on a remix to Kay Flock’s “Shake It” in April.

“I don’t give a fu*k who you is, who you fu*k, what sh*t you jacking,” Cardi said in an Instagram Live session. “Get signed and get the fu*k out. You know why I fu*k with all of y’all? Because y’all getting the Bronx lit! Me and A Boogie, we became mainstream and everything, but you know there’s always a borough that they got sh*t going on. But right now, the Bronx really getting the sh*t muthafu*king lit. So shoutout to all y’all little muthafu*king drill rappers out there.”

You have bigger problems if you take stock in the opinions of “Cardi B”. A woman that set men up and has a picture of her a**hole floating around the net.

Plus when a opp hears their opp on the radio dissing them, it kinda fuels the fire more. So if it were banned then it would die down a little. But these little n*ggas are demons, so they’ll always find an excuse and a way to k*ll their own skin color.

sh*ts sad, no matter which path you choose.
+7   

1 month ago '20        #4
LordGimmeASign 
Props total: 56787 56 K  Slaps total: 3888 3 K
That's the first time I've seen Cardi B publicly address A Boogie, that I know of; I never really seen anyone from HBTL address Cardi like that and vice versa.

It's kinda odd though since both parties are from Higbridge too but maybe some behind-the-scenes sh*t took place for that to be the case.

Regarding the OP, I'm not going to call any young and upcoming Drill rapper wack but I understand Pete Rock's frustration. Anyone would be delusional if they still said the music wasn't demonic and brainwashing a lot of impressionable people. Plus people are dying and it's hella crime and gunplay...
+9   

1 month ago '16        #5
144  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 31877 31 K  Slaps total: 43761 43 K

I'll say this, that first "Petestrumentals" tape was actually deeply therapeutic for me.

Pete Rock likely knows what he's saying here.

It's a hard thing to explain so I've never tried, but it's like he conveys messages through his beats. Pete Rock has a deep understanding of music as language, particularly in a spiritual sense.

Last edited by 144; 05-27-2022 at 11:47 AM..
+24   

1 month ago '18        #6
True School 2  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 4232 4 K  Slaps total: 260 260
FACTS X FACTS

Only the other day on here was I saying Pete’s outspokenness about trash Hip-Hop is was what the industry gravely needs…
+16   

1 month ago '18        #7
S-Class  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 132060 132 K  Slaps total: 14896 14 K
sh*t is trash
+15   

1 month ago '04        #8
Real 
Props total: 29936 29 K  Slaps total: 4253 4 K
Then don't listen to it lol. I don't even know what 'drill rap' is but I also don't sit around waiting to be force fed what's 'hot' or 'what I'm supposed to like'.

I trust my own ear and know how to find the sh*t I enjoy. It's actually pretty easy. This drill sh*t literally doesn't even exist in my world

Last edited by Real; 05-27-2022 at 12:56 PM..
+7   

1 month ago '18        #9
HoopLife88 
Props total: 55607 55 K  Slaps total: 7148 7 K
It's trash but I did bump chief keef for a summer

NY drill rap is big trash. They stole a whole different country's sound
+4   

1 month ago '07        #10
killahkazi 
Props total: 8204 8 K  Slaps total: 607 607
I don't fu*ks with that NY Drill sh*t either, but Pete been a hater for awhile. Hadn't heard anything positive come from him in a hot minute.

1 month ago '09        #11
Chalky  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 64249 64 K  Slaps total: 7134 7 K
Pete Rock one of those old heads who always mad 24/7
+5   

1 month ago '21        #12
JabariGarvey 
Props total: 7067 7 K  Slaps total: 5713 5 K
Pete rock standing up against trash culture. Love to see it .

Pete rock>>> all your favorite lils and babies
+27   

1 month ago '04        #13
Adwerdz  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x84
Props total: 177094 177 K  Slaps total: 22319 22 K
I wouldnt say it's trash, it is demonizing music tho, it sound good but the content is low vibrational. I listen to some of it in moderation for workout purposes.

Pete Rock been on bullsh*t lately tho, maybe cause he's not getting the attention that he wants. fu*k him tho he has a female attitude
+12   

1 month ago '11        #14
danjurus 1 
Props total: 2640 2 K  Slaps total: 151 151
He been on one lately from what it looks like but this spot on I'm glad people speaking up on this bullsh*t but he should've kept the post up
+1   

1 month ago '21        #15
Still2Highh 
Props total: 32999 32 K  Slaps total: 4136 4 K
Old heads was calling Pete music trash in the 90s. Sayin it was unoriginal cause he wasn't playin no instruments and sampling they favorite records.

The older generation always goin have a problem wit the new generation... but just like Ace told Mr Pip in the cleaners when he was hatin on rap sayin he couldn't understand it "it's for my ears".

I get his issue wit the content.. but we can make a laundry list of tracks pete produced that was talkin about drugs.. murder too.. which some could say"disrupts the soul"

Last edited by Still2Highh; 05-27-2022 at 01:08 PM..
+11   

1 month ago '04        #16
Real 
Props total: 29936 29 K  Slaps total: 4253 4 K
 BING BONG BUNDY said
U don’t live in a major city tho. Come to NY where they literally forcing it into our worlds
Ok, I'm listening. Explain how it's being forced into your worlds
+2   

1 month ago '16        #17
BxCastro 
Props total: 33405 33 K  Slaps total: 4176 4 K
I love Pete but he should shut the fu*k up. Was he this vocal when coke rap became the wave? Gangsta music did the equivalent drill is just an extension of that. You can change the channel and find the contemporary hip hop you're looking for. Have that same vitriol and hate for the songs on the bests your produced that disturbed the old heads when you were young soul.

Last edited by BxCastro; 05-27-2022 at 11:10 PM..

1 month ago '04        #18
ddash 
Props total: 76801 76 K  Slaps total: 5887 5 K
He right
+7   

1 month ago '14        #19
Aquas 
Props total: 4781 4 K  Slaps total: 1039 1 K
Im sick of this n*gga. Nobody asked you for your opinion. I hope Waka see this hating a*s old bitter n*gga too.

He right though.

1 month ago '13        #20
THEDONN  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 146958 146 K  Slaps total: 59242 59 K
Same sh*t i say, them trap/drill beats instantly lower my vibration

+7   

1 month ago '09        #21
izlar928  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x29
Props total: 11667 11 K  Slaps total: 7746 7 K
 THExTAKEOVER said
You have bigger problems if you take stock in the opinions of “Cardi B”. A woman that set men up and has a picture of her a**hole floating around the net.

Plus when a opp hears their opp on the radio dissing them, it kinda fuels the fire more. So if it were banned then it would die down a little. But these little n*ggas are demons, so they’ll always find an excuse and a way to k*ll their own skin color.

sh*ts sad, no matter which path you choose.
links to her a hole or they don't exist bro

1 month ago '09        #22
izlar928  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x29
Props total: 11667 11 K  Slaps total: 7746 7 K
 144 said

I'll say this, that first "Petestrumentals" tape was actually deeply therapeutic for me.

Pete Rock likely knows what he's saying here.

It's a hard thing to explain so I've never tried, but it's like he conveys messages through his beats. Pete Rock has a deep understanding of music as language, particularly in a spiritual sense.
deeply therapeutic foh how ur one of those folks that says Kendricks album was a piece of art and don't even know what he's saying shut ur fake deep azz up no disrespect bro I love you still as a black brother from the same land our ancestors came from azz fool.
+2   

1 month ago '15        #23
nola504  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 7398 7 K  Slaps total: 842 842
 Adwerdz said
I wouldnt say it's trash, it is demonizing music tho, it sound good but the content is low vibrational. I listen to some of it in moderation for workout purposes.

Pete Rock been on bullsh*t lately tho, maybe cause he's not getting the attention that he wants. fu*k him tho he has a female attitude
Demonizing?

Beat= 808 glides, kick drum, hi hats, synths
Lyrics = murder, money, hoes, opps

These kids lives is surrounded by the sh*t they rap about. How about the government aid the community and stop demonizing the neighborhoods(they won’t) how about father stick around and raise there sons(they won’t cause there locked up or dead). How about mothers raise their sons and stop chasing d*ck. (She won’t cause that’s all she know). Labels(rich white men) cutting checks, these fu*kers(rappers) will continue to get younger every year. Welcome to the hunger games. Enjoy the show.
+3   

1 month ago '17        #24
Harlequin 
Props total: 1941 1 K  Slaps total: 304 304
Drill rap is designed to destroy the black youth nobody see's the play while it's in motion the culture is so stupid it's death music it accelerates what they want to do to us we should k*ll each other and whoever survives gets dumped into the prison industrial system.
+12   

1 month ago '08        #25
halftime 
Props total: 24402 24 K  Slaps total: 3125 3 K
whatever old n*gga, new n*gga I’m enjoying this weekend sh*t bump.

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+23online now  27
Real life Multiverse may be opened on July 5th…
110 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  20
Jun 29 - couple buys house in seattle......comcast wanted to charge $27000 for..
148 comments
23 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
+24online now  17
Video inside This the new wave with jewelry…
106 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
online now  10
AEW Dynamite 6/29/22: Blood & Guts
388 comments
1 day ago
@misc
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy