May 27 - Southern Baptist Church exposed for systemic support of child sex abuse

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

1 month ago '06        #1
803 page views
36 comments

Skateboard T  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 111613 111 K  Slaps total: 23433 23 K
May 27 - Southern Baptist Church exposed for systemic support of child s*x abuse

Southern Baptist s*x Abuse Report Stuns, From Pulpit to Pews

The results of a sprawling investigation are coursing through every level of Baptist society, at an already fraught moment for the nation’s largest Protestant denomination.

[Leaders of the Southern Baptist Convention published a list of hundreds of ministers and other church workers it described as being “credibly accused” of s*xual abuse. Follow for updates.]

Carissa Beard was helping her daughter pack up her dorm room on Sunday night when she got the text from her husband, the lead pastor of First Baptist Church of Thurmont in Maryland. The nearly 300-page report on s*xual abuse in the Southern Baptist Convention had dropped online. “It is every bit as bad as I expected it to be,” she said.

When Philip Meade, pastor at Graefenburg Baptist Church in Kentucky, read the details, he began reworking his plans for the church’s worship service next Sunday. He will now devote a portion of the service to “a lament for the mishandling of s*xual abuse claims and for the survivors who have suffered so much,” he said.

Michael Howard, the head pastor of Seaford Baptist Church on the coast of Virginia, paused a family vacation to spend hours reading the report on Sunday afternoon. “It makes you ill,” Mr. Howard said. “I know as the word gets out, the people in our church will be asking: What is our response?”

Revelations in a sprawling report covering 20 years of s*xual abuse accusations are coursing through every level of Southern Baptist society. The report, made public by the denomination on Sunday, claims that top church leaders suppressed and mishandled abuse claims, resisted reforms and belittled victims and their families.

The investigation, conducted by a third party at the insistence of church members, has thrust the nation’s largest Protestant denomination into turmoil at a particularly fraught moment. The Southern Baptist Convention is already grappling with declining membership, sharp divisions over politics and culture, and a high-stakes leadership change that is weeks away.

In some quarters, pastors and church members are openly frustrated at what they see as years of inaction on a crisis that has publicly persisted since 2019, when an investigation by The Houston Chronicle and The San Antonio Express-News revealed that nearly 400 Southern Baptist leaders, from youth pastors to top ministers, had pleaded guilty or been convicted of s*x crimes against more than 700 victims since 1998.
Turmoil in the Southern Baptist Convention
Internal and external crises have hit the nation’s largest Protestant denomination.

-s*x Abuse Crisis: Southern Baptist leaders suppressed reports of s*xual abuse and resisted proposals for reform over two decades, a third-party investigation found.

-A Secret List: The report revealed the existence of a secretly maintained list of hundreds of ministers credibly accused of s*xual abuse, which the denomination’s leaders said they plan to release.

-The Fallout
: Southern Baptist society had long distanced itself from the s*xual abuse crisis consuming the Catholic Church. Now a reckoning has arrived.

-Hard-Right Revolt: Establishment leaders narrowly headed off an ultraconservative takeover. But the standoff portended further fractures.

-A Split Over Trump
: Beth Moore, a prominent evangelical, left the denomination over its support of Donald J. Trump.

The report quickly proved to be another dividing line within the denomination, with some pastors and members seeing it as a call to action for deep cultural and structural changes on abuse, as well as a range of issues around politics and the treatment of women.

The denomination’s former policy head, Russell Moore, who left last year, called it an “apocalypse” that revealed “a reality far more evil and systemic than I imagined it could be.” Its current president, Ed Litton, said the report was “far worse” than he had anticipated.

More than 24 hours after the report was published online, leaders of the ultraconservative wing of the denomination remained relatively muted. The Conservative Baptist Network, an influential group founded in 2020, said in a brief statement on Monday evening that it joins other Southern Baptists in grieving, and that while it disagreed “with certain aspects of the report,” Southern Baptists should study its recommendations.

Mr. Litton’s successor, to be chosen at the denomination’s annual meeting in June, will determine the convention’s direction.

Bart Barber, a Texas pastor who is a candidate favored by many of Mr. Litton’s supporters, said in a statement that the convention needed leadership that “breaks decisively” from the patterns described in the report. “Discovery is no substitute for action,” he said.

Another candidate, Tom Ascol, a Florida pastor who has said the denomination needs a “change of direction” from what he describes as a leftward drift, said in a statement late Monday that the report’s revelations should prompt Southern Baptists to “uphold God’s standards of holiness and purity in all things, especially in caring for those who are most vulnerable among us.” He urged prayer and study of the task force’s recommendations.

Leaders of the convention’s executive committee said they would meet on Tuesday to discuss the report.

In pews across the country, the report’s impact was just beginning to be felt. The denomination includes almost 14 million members in more than 47,000 congregations. In small towns and cities, pastors and churchgoers grappled with what the report said about their denomination, and what should happen next.

“Our people, I don’t think they have the bandwidth to get into all the details,” said Griffin Gulledge, the pastor of Madison Baptist Church in Georgia. “But what all my pastor friends are hearing is we better get this right, and we better fix this.” He is planning to discuss the report with attendees at the church’s weekly Bible study on Wednesday night.

For some victims and family members, the report did not go far enough. When a friend texted Christi Bragg that the report was online, she quickly tapped the Command and F keys to search for any references to the Village Church in Texas. Nothing popped up.

Four years ago she reported to the church’s leaders that her daughter, at about age 11, had been s*xually abused at the church’s summer camp for children. A trial in her daughter’s lawsuit against the church is set to begin in October.

“The report ignores active legal litigation our daughter is navigating against one of the biggest churches in the S.B.C.,” Ms. Bragg said on Monday. “It continues to make you see the place she stands is such a difficult place; there is a lack of accountability and there is a lack of acknowledgment.”

The denomination has been roiled in debates over misogyny, racism and the handling of abuse cases in recent years. Critics say some pastors have focused more on f*ghting women in leadership and critical race theory than they have on rooting out abuse and the power structure that keeps it under wraps.

Three years ago, as the abuse crisis exploded in public view, a faction of ultraconservative pastors attacked Beth Moore, one of the most prominent white evangelical women in the United States, when she spoke at a church on Mother’s Day. She publicly renounced “the s*xism & misogyny that is rampant in segments of the SBC,” and has since left the denomination.

“If you still refuse to believe facts stacked Himalayan high before your eyes and insist the independent group hired to conduct the investigation is part of a (liberal!) human conspiracy or demonic attack, you’re not just deceived,” Ms. Moore said in a tweet on Monday responding to the report. “You are part of the deception.”

The report shows how some leaders used the convention’s decentralized structure as a reason for avoiding mandatory accountability regarding s*xual abuse in local churches. National entities have significantly less control over individual congregations than they do in institutions like the Roman Catholic Church.

Critics have said that the Southern Baptist Convention is comfortable drawing hard lines from the top down when it chooses. After one of the denomination’s largest congregations, Saddleback Church in Southern California, announced it had ordained three women pastors in supporting roles last year, high-profile pastors and leaders criticized the church sharply, and a committee was a*signed to examine whether the denomination should break with the church.

Last year, the Southern Baptist Convention’s executive committee expelled two churches over their decisions to accept gay couples as members and church policies that the denomination deemed accepting of homos*xuality.

For Ms. Beard, the Maryland pastor’s wife, the crisis remains personal. She is finishing a graduate degree in professional counseling, focused on trauma, to help people like her who have survived s*xual and spiritual abuse in churches. While there are some people in the denomination who really want to do the right thing, she said, others are content with the status quo.

Last year she and her husband went to Nashville for the denomination’s convention and voted in favor of commissioning the report. They plan to go to next month’s convention in Anaheim, she said, “to make sure the S.B.C. follows through” on reforms.

“If we don’t have enough people that are willing to stand with the survivors, then, I’m going to call it the good ol’ boys network, is going to be successful at just brushing this aside,” she said.

visit this link https://www.nytimes.com/2 .. se-report.html
+5   

best
worst
36 comments

1 month ago '06        #2
Skateboard T  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7 OP
 Armstrong 102 said
Liberals will be taught to accept and think having s*x with children is ok. They'll call it science you can have s*xual relations with children will be fine
Meanwhile the Southern Baptist Church is currently being exposed for hiding decades of child s*x abuse....

Weird how it's always institutions with conservative ties that are the ones who literally created systems to perpetuate child s*x abuse, protect the abusers, and silence the victims.

Haven't seen any liberal institution ever exposed for anything nearly as horrific as the catholic church and what we're now seeing from the southern baptists.

Weird how yall aint say sh*t about this or the catholics tho...
+11   

1 month ago '18        #3
br82186  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x33
Props total: 58739 58 K  Slaps total: 3954 3 K
I seen the video, the attendees still support the pastor.

Religion, guns, and beliefs will end this country
+14   

1 month ago '06        #4
 br82186 said
I seen the video, the attendees still support the pastor.

Religion, guns, and beliefs will end this country
and the report only covers 1998 to 2018

just imagine how long it's been going on completely and totally unchecked.

yet if you listen to Fox news it's liberals that are the ones grooming children....
+9   

1 month ago '12        #5
CaLis LEGACY 
Props total: 6755 6 K  Slaps total: 910 910
Crazy how long it's been going on and they barely getting some heat for it

Says alot of the people at the top
+6   

1 month ago '04        #6
miles21 
Props total: 486 486  Slaps total: 59 59
 Skateboard T said
Meanwhile the Southern Baptist Church is currently being exposed for hiding decades of child s*x abuse....

Weird how it's always institutions with conservative ties that are the ones who literally created systems to perpetuate child s*x abuse, protect the abusers, and silence the victims.

Haven't seen any liberal institution ever exposed for anything nearly as horrific as the catholic church and what we're now seeing from the southern baptists.

Always projection .. dude that posted that in the other thread probably needs to be looked into
+7   

1 month ago '06        #7
 CaLis LEGACY said
Crazy how long it's been going on and they barely getting some heat for it

Says alot of the people at the top
Yup they literally had a database to keep track of pastors so they could move them around when sh*t got too hot and they got caught up in another abuse accusation.

Catholics do the same exact thing.
+7   

1 month ago '12        #8
OldBusiness  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 205090 205 K  Slaps total: 11883 11 K
 miles21 said
Always projection .. dude that posted that in the other thread probably needs to be looked into
^^^^ Agreed
+2   

1 month ago '20        #9
Tweezy12  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x13
Props total: 69006 69 K  Slaps total: 22003 22 K
When will people understand that anytime you have a large group of people tied together into any kind of belief, organization, religion or whatever it is that brings these people together, there is going to be trash individuals and sub groups inside of the main group that are terrible people?

1 month ago '06        #10
 Tweezy12 said
When will people understand that anytime you have a large group of people tied together into any kind of belief, organization, religion or whatever it is that brings these people together, there is going to be trash individuals and sub groups inside of the main group that are terrible people?
Nobody is acting like that isn't the case.

But this is more than "a sub group" or "trash individuals"

it's literally the entire leadership of the organization working together and establishing a system to protect abusers and silence victims.

making excuses for child s*x abusers is.......not what I would choose to do with my time, but I guess that's your prerogative.
+11   

1 month ago '22        #11
JrFeau 
Props total: 2850 2 K  Slaps total: 383 383
This isn't surprising but definitely needs to be common knowledge. Not all churches are like this but a lot are.

I'm personally not a fan of religion but I've been to many places of worship. There's always something going on in the background but s*xual a*sault is just sickening.

I'd say I've only been a member of two churches out of the dozen or so I've been to where there wasn't any allegations. This includes mosques and the NSA Buddhist temples too.
+1   

1 month ago '06        #12
@ and @ avoiding this like a mf

gee wonder why...
+4   

1 month ago '12        #13
 Skateboard T said

gee wonder why...
Its funny you tag them, look at @ 's member wall:

@ 's lying a*s on there giving him smoke

Don't worry @ will make a thread today celebrating the death of innocent muslims. He's from Argentina and Mexico but makes pro Israel/pro muslim mass murder threads for years on here
+3   

1 month ago '06        #14
 OldBusiness said

Don't worry @ will make a thread today celebrating the death of innocent muslims. He's from Argentina and Mexico but makes pro Israel/pro muslim mass murder threads for years on here
sh*t they're probably the same person doing the old dc3003 schtick
+4   

1 month ago '20        #15
Tweezy12  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x13
Props total: 69006 69 K  Slaps total: 22003 22 K
 Skateboard T said
Nobody is acting like that isn't the case.

But this is more than "a sub group" or "trash individuals"

it's literally the entire leadership of the organization working together and establishing a system to protect abusers and silence victims.

making excuses for child s*x abusers is.......not what I would choose to do with my time, but I guess that's your prerogative.
Making excuses?
How? I don't give a fu*k about no damn southern Baptist

1 month ago '12        #16
 Skateboard T said
sh*t they're probably the same person doing the old dc3003 schtick
Yup thats a great point. dc3003 literally goes on his alias pages and posts s*xual innuendo

Then he tags them all in threads so he can find the thread and follow up troll the sh*t
+3   

1 month ago '06        #17
 Tweezy12 said
Making excuses?
How? I don't give a fu*k about no damn southern Baptist
I mean you're implying that this is a "sub group" or "trash individuals" when it was actually leadership and the institution itself.

That sounds like minimizing the story, i.e. making excuses.
+1   

1 month ago '20        #18
ProfessionalDon  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x21
Props total: 38469 38 K  Slaps total: 6885 6 K
pedo cult

there are probably 1000's of victims

700 republican supporting pedos
+2   

1 month ago '18        #19
DUCEDUCE  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 83923 83 K  Slaps total: 8440 8 K
Im sorry I really despise church always pointing the finger outward and then sh*t like this comes out they continue to defend it.
+5   

1 month ago '06        #20
 ProfessionalDon said
pedo cult

there are probably 1000's of victims

700 republican supporting pedos
the party of grooming and child brides
+2   

1 month ago '18        #21
Armstrong 102 
Props total: 10350 10 K  Slaps total: 3831 3 K
 Skateboard T said

gee wonder why...
fu*k this have to do with me ? I've always been fu*k the church.
I'm not reading that bullsh*t but why are you tagging me though ??

1 month ago '18        #22
Armstrong 102 
 OldBusiness said

Your a sad a*s person. Me a n ice wolf don't know each other. I've ripped him on his pro Israel sh*t. But I'll prop him and anybody who makes intelligent truthful
Statements even if I'm against it. I'm constantly learning comprehending evolving in my life. Y'all don't hear truth like I can. Your a bunch of sheep and that's facts brother

1 month ago '18        #23
Armstrong 102 
 Skateboard T said

Ya cad in residential
Schools, it's a goverment issue. Also pizza gate was a liberal issue and it's fact Obama was ordering kids.
But if you think republicans ain't raping kids I'd be a fu*king moron.
It's the government and the elite.
It's not a Republican or Democrat problem it's an elitist thing

1 month ago '20        #24
Xiox  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 63000 63 K  Slaps total: 11534 11 K
I say we have a lot of wolves in sheep's clothing
+1   

1 month ago '10        #25
Bandito  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 45407 45 K  Slaps total: 6667 6 K
 Armstrong 102 said
Ya cad in residential
Schools, it's a goverment issue. Also pizza gate was a liberal issue and it's fact Obama was ordering kids.
But if you think republicans ain't raping kids I'd be a fu*king moron.
It's the government and the elite.
It's not a Republican or Democrat problem it's an elitist thing
Here's my problem with people like you. First off, you've created this group of people that you call "the elite." How are they elite? They are not better than anyone else to me.*

Second, child abuse isn't unique to any one group of people. I've worked in social services and the people I talked to wouldn't be what you call "elite." They were the young girl that was sold to people to pay for her mother's next hit of drugs.

The real child trafficking is happening right under most people's noses and you wouldn't even notice it if you didn't know the signs.

It isn't this elaborate network of people using code language and secret spots in the basement of pizza parlors. It is your friends and neighbors that you wouldn't expect.

Most are victims of people they know. Family and friends of the family. Most are not believed and made to feel they were the perpetrator of the act. Little girls are victimized early on and told it is their fault older men are attracted to them.

Instead of going after the real issue. It easier to be a keyboard warrior and say Tom Hanks is a pedo because of something he posted online. Also, coincidentally Hanks is a part of a very elaborate pedo ring made up politicans and rich people. So, they are untouchable. How convenient.

That's easy. The hard part is going down to your local homeless shelter and consoling a teenager that got kicked out her home for being s*xually abused by her mom's boyfriend and her mom takes the boyfriend's side.

The hard part is actually putting in work in your community. Pizzagate f*g**ts can spend hours looking for pedo codes and language online and can't do sh*t where it actually counts.

*My main issue with the word "elite" is I am a grown person. I have been watching how people are for awhile. You know what I have noticed. Pretty much everyone is just winging it. There is no grand plan about life. Everybody wakes up and tries to get through the day without k*lling themselves or anyone else. All these grand conspiracy theories just wouldn't work. People bring up sh*t like Operation Paperclip and sh*t like that. Well, we know about that sh*t. It is not exactly secret.

Operation Northwoods was rejected because Kennedy didn't think it was plausible that A. the CIA would be successful or B. the American people would buy it if they were.
+6   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+22online now  33
Video inside Woman exposes her son's Father for only feeding his son
307 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+89online now  16
Got a Tesla to match my Tesla
78 comments
2 days ago
@rides
most viewed right now
-18online now  13
Image(s) inside The real reason why I hate HBO. Westworld edition.
58 comments
19 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
online now  12
Video inside Best "The Villain Wins" Movies?
65 comments
20 hours ago
@movies
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy