May 25 - NYC subway suicide attempts spike 50% in first months of 2022

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

1 month ago '11        #1
493 page views
12 comments

Sin  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x51
Props total: 186756 186 K  Slaps total: 25109 25 K
May 25 - NYC subway suicide attempts spike 50% in first months of 2022

suicide attempts on the subway spiked 50% in the first three months of the year compared to 2021, transit officials said Wednesday.

The first three months of 2022 saw 27 suicides or suicide attempts, out of 105 total instances of “track intrusion,” according to a report prepared by the MTA in response to a startling spike in trespassing at the end of last year.

Track intrusions spiked 20% in 2021, compared to the previous year and 2019, despite fewer riders. The number of incidents peaked this past winter, in November, December and January — which saw 160 total incidents, the highest single-month total since 2019, the report said.

Last month saw 100 track intrusions, in line with pre-pandemic figures.

Officials found that suicides account for just 4% of total trespassing incidents, but 25% of collisions and 35% of fatalities. Other causes of some 40 total track fatalities included two attempts to retrieve objects from the tracks, two slip-and-falls and the tragic intentional push by a deranged vagrant that k*lled Manhattanite Michelle Go in January.

A whopping one-in-five intruders observed so far this year were “experiencing mental illness,” the report said.

“Most instances of track intrusion are done voluntarily by individuals who are not only putting their lives and the lives of transit workers in danger, but also disrupting travel for hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers,” MTA CEO Janno Lieber said in a statement.

To tackle the problem, the MTA plans to expand public messaging and CCTV deployment in tunnels and to test front-facing cameras on trains to improve intruder detection.

Further down the line, the authority plans to test platform barriers and expand “laser intrusion detection” technology and the use of blue-colored lights that the report said “can have a calming effect and reduce the number of suicides in transit systems.”

Transit workers dread coming into contact with people on the tracks.

“It’s like a quick shock heart attack whenever you see it,” one train operator told The Post earlier this week. “Countless homeless people and vagrants just like not where they are supposed to be on catwalks and stuff.

“Even if they aren’t in danger, it scares the s–t out of you and you gotta stop [the train] and it’s a whole thing.”

If you are struggling with suicidal thoughts or are experiencing a mental health crisis and live in New York City, you can call 1-888-NYC-WELL for free and confidential crisis counseling.

If you live outside the five boroughs, you can dial the 24/7 National suicide Prevention hotline at 1-800-273-8255 or go to suicidePreventionLifeline.org.

visit this link https://nypost.com/2022/0 .. onths-of-2022/
+1   

best
worst
12 comments

1 month ago '07        #2
JamcnPrettyboy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x9
Props total: 34930 34 K  Slaps total: 5108 5 K
sh*t is a weekly occurrence

Every week I'm delayed because someone either got struck by a train or because an "unauthorized person" is on the tracks.

Of all the high rise buildings you can jump off you gotta inconvenience everybody by getting hit by a train?

+6   

1 month ago '22        #3
Blackberries 
Props total: 12043 12 K  Slaps total: 952 952

+3   

1 month ago '13        #4
North!!!  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x12
Props total: 126444 126 K  Slaps total: 11604 11 K
UNDIAGNOSED MENTAL ILLNESS run rampant in subway stations
+1   

1 month ago '11        #5
Sin  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x51 OP
Props total: 186756 186 K  Slaps total: 25109 25 K
 North!!! said
UNDIAGNOSED MENTAL ILLNESS run rampant in subway stations
Nah, i think it’s ignored mental illness

Not much profit dealing with uninsured mentally ill
+5   

1 month ago '12        #6
johnnysnow 
Props total: 32710 32 K  Slaps total: 2331 2 K
 BING BONG BUNDY said
Never forget

I swear this video never gets old
+2   

1 month ago '11        #7
Broseph Stalin  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 57923 57 K  Slaps total: 5459 5 K
 BING BONG BUNDY said
Never forget

johnnysnow said
I swear this video never gets old

the n*gga really tried to act like he was casually checking his phone on the tracks when the commuters started roasting him
+3   

1 month ago '11        #8
nyc 
Props total: 9175 9 K  Slaps total: 924 924
 BING BONG BUNDY said
Never forget

A few yrs ago one of my old coworkers was out on lunch when some chick jumped off the 230 5th Ave rooftop bar. I know for a fact shorty has ptsd bc her personality changed afterwards.
came to post this vid
+1   

1 month ago '15        #9
AmillionMo  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 34416 34 K  Slaps total: 10222 10 K
If they want to end it, at least they going alone instead of taking others with them. I applaud them for that
+2   

1 month ago '17        #10
R Shackleford 
Props total: 12847 12 K  Slaps total: 824 824
Two words

Last edited by R Shackleford; 05-25-2022 at 10:50 PM..
+1   

1 month ago '15        #11
Hellmatic 
Props total: 57874 57 K  Slaps total: 5199 5 K
 BING BONG BUNDY said
Never forget

A few yrs ago one of my old coworkers was out on lunch when some chick jumped off the 230 5th Ave rooftop bar. I know for a fact shorty has ptsd bc her personality changed afterwards.
You talking about this suicide?

I knew that girl. She was cool people

That video is one of the most new york sh*t I ever seen. Even when someone tryna die the loudmouth a**hole mentality come out
+1   

1 month ago '22        #12
Vinyl19  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 1190 1 K  Slaps total: 258 258
If I’m gonna off myself, I’m choosing the least painful option. fu*k getting hit by a train.

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+19online now  18
Youtube channel recommendations?
73 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
+26online now  6
Rookie challenges LeBron "He’s going to have to show me he’s better than m..
79 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
online now  4
Video inside Jun 25 - NYC's speed cameras will now operate 24/7
116 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
+66online now  2
Jun 25 - Trump Backed Candidate Mary Miller Says the Quiet Part Out Loud