'Predator' Spyware Let Government Hackers Break Into Chrome and Android, Google Says

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tech

1 month ago '16        #1
2785 page views
16 comments

aquisite04  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 20492 20 K  Slaps total: 2106 2 K
'Predator' Spyware Let Government Hackers Break Into Chrome and Android, Google Says

visit this link https://gizmodo.com/googl .. ays-1848963816

Google's Threat Analysis Group says that a majority of the zero-day vulnerabilities they discovered last year were intentionally created by spyware companies.

A shady private surveillance company sold access to nearly half a dozen powerful security flaws in Chrome and Android last year to government-affiliated hackers, Google revealed Monday.

Cytrox, a secretive firm based in North Macedonia, allegedly sold access to four zero-day security flaws in the Chrome browser as well as one in the Android operating system. Its clients were government-linked “threat actors” in multiple foreign countries who used the exploits to conduct hacking campaigns with Cytrox’s invasive spyware “Predator.” We have to hand it to Cytrox: Selling access to security flaws that require your spyware in order to exploit them is Batman-villain business savvy, the way the Joker might approach vertical integration. You can find a full list of the vulnerabilities in Google’s blog.

“We a*sess with high confidence that these exploits were packaged by a single commercial surveillance company, Cytrox, and sold to different government-backed actors who used them in at least the three campaigns discussed below,” researchers with Google’s Threat Analysis Group (TAG) explained in a blog post.

Cytrox is also said to have given its clients access to a number of “n-days”—vulnerabilities that had already had patches issued for them. In these cases, the targeted users presumably had not updated their devices or applications.

The hackers who bought Cytrox’s services and spyware were based all over the world—Greece, Serbia, Egypt, Armenia, Spain, Indonesia, Madagascar, and Côte d’Ivoire, researchers write. Google’s TAG team also writes of a disturbing new trend: a majority of the zero-day vulnerabilities they discovered last year were intentionally “developed” by private surveillance firms like Cytrox.

“Seven of the nine 0-days TAG discovered in 2021 fall into this category: developed by commercial providers and sold to and used by government-backed actors,” the researchers write. “TAG is actively tracking more than 30 vendors with varying levels of sophistication and public exposure selling exploits or surveillance capabilities to government-backed actors.”

Hacking scandals connected to the private surveillance industry have generated significant controversy in recent years. In particular, the well-known spyware company NSO Group has been accused of selling its sophisticated digital intrusion tools to governments all over the world, including our own.
+10   

best
worst
16 comments

1 month ago '17        #2
dubsax  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 61779 61 K  Slaps total: 5061 5 K
dont surprise me

back in the late 90's I was member of a security forum.
I was mainly there for password cracking/brute forcing I only used it for games and websites. i was far from a hacker.

The site was pretty well hidden for that time and the only way in is that you have had to have an invite and a special cookie to confirm.

It had everything, NSA level tracing software, 0 day's, brute force programs and millions of combos ( confirmed user/ passwords)

Never had a virus...ever....and till this day the only one I have ever had.
But this one was different than any other.

No matter what I did I could not get rid of it, swapped drives, new OS, swapped motherboards, stopped going to the site nothing worked it was still there.

I finally found out where it was, the virus wrote itself on the firmware of my CD burner. Worked at best buy at the time, I asked around to see if anyone had ever heard of it and everyone said it was next to impossible.

Fast forward 10-15 years and Edward Snowden talks about that being a method the NSA used to infect computers.

anything we find out about today was likely new 10 years ago.

the Tor network has been cracked since 2005 by DARPA
+35   

1 month ago '15        #3
Sleezymcman 
Props total: 8038 8 K  Slaps total: 1852 1 K
Back in the day hacking was so fun. Spamming aol aims with aliens jacking off. Or a huge middle finger. Sending out viruses Through emails. Man I can’t tell you how many times I got banned from aol.
+7   

1 month ago '16        #4
theidiotlamper 
Props total: 6643 6 K  Slaps total: 2410 2 K
 Sleezymcman said
Back in the day hacking was so fun. Spamming aol aims with aliens jacking off. Or a huge middle finger. Sending out viruses Through emails. Man I can’t tell you how many times I got banned from aol.
Rogue exploits
+1   

1 month ago '10        #5
Blue  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 9833 9 K  Slaps total: 665 665
 dubsax said
I finally found out where it was, the virus wrote itself on the firmware of my CD burner. Worked at best buy at the time, I asked around to see if anyone had ever heard of it and everyone said it was next to impossible.
+2   

1 month ago '11        #6
awww  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 66890 66 K  Slaps total: 47123 47 K
it makes you think, like why the people working for the agencies don’t believe the sh*t wrong that they doin. Like that it’s fu*king over people rights with doing this sh*t without court orders. But yet no one says anything
+4   

1 month ago '16        #7
Fumo 
Props total: 11017 11 K  Slaps total: 914 914
 Sleezymcman said
sh*t I got a lifetime ban lol for punter software
+2   

1 month ago '20        #8
Imsofxckincool 
Props total: 1551 1 K  Slaps total: 702 702
 awww said
it makes you think, like why the people working for the agencies don’t believe the sh*t wrong that they doin. Like that it’s fu*king over people rights with doing this sh*t without court orders. But yet no one says anything
Because the money is good n they actually love hacking.

It's kinda like Hollywood or gang banging drug addict rappers not giving af about the degeneracy they glamorize. They may not be hacking ur computer, but they're definitely hacking minds with their poison.
+2   

1 month ago '16        #9
BathWaterMelody  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x11
Props total: 96799 96 K  Slaps total: 12572 12 K
 dubsax said
dont surprise me

I was mainly there for password cracking/brute forcing I only used it for games and websites. i was far from a hacker.

The site was pretty well hidden for that time and the only way in is that you have had to have an invite and a special cookie to confirm.

It had everything, NSA level tracing software, 0 day's, brute force programs and millions of combos ( confirmed user/ passwords)

No matter what I did I could not get rid of it, swapped drives, new OS, swapped motherboards, stopped going to the site nothing worked it was still there.

I finally found out where it was, the virus wrote itself on the firmware of my CD burner.
Worked at best buy at the time, I asked around to see if anyone had ever heard of it and everyone said it was next to impossible.

Fast forward 10-15 years and Edward Snowden talks about that being a method the NSA used to infect computers.

some Agent Smith from the Matrix lvls of fu*kery there
+4   

1 month ago '04        #10
Veno da Don  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 36490 36 K  Slaps total: 3541 3 K
 BathWaterMelody said
some Agent Smith from the Matrix lvls of fu*kery there
fu*king Terminator sh*t man.
+2   

1 month ago '20        #11
Xiox  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 62986 62 K  Slaps total: 11529 11 K
Yall told me China's Huawei was doing all the spying when it's Uncle Sam
+3   

4 weeks ago '11        #12
Slingy 
Props total: 13269 13 K  Slaps total: 3378 3 K
Library2ya

4 weeks ago '21        #13
StaticShock 
Props total: 1855 1 K  Slaps total: 373 373
 dubsax said
dont surprise me

@

Question for yall was there a black hacking scene in the early late 90s to late 2000s?

All the old cyber sec documentaries I seen just filled with white folks
+1   

4 weeks ago '15        #14
Sleezymcman 
Props total: 8038 8 K  Slaps total: 1852 1 K
 StaticShock said
@

Question for yall was there a black hacking scene in the early late 90s to late 2000s?

All the old cyber sec documentaries I seen just filled with white folks
I don’t recall. Not like I hooked up with other hackers. But the sh*t I was doing at 12 nobody in my circle could relate.

4 weeks ago '20        #15
Xiox  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 62986 62 K  Slaps total: 11529 11 K
Where's all the nationalist nut jobs on this site ?

3 weeks ago '08        #16
flav 
Props total: 18356 18 K  Slaps total: 4085 4 K
 dubsax said
dont surprise me

you are telling the truth. Damn these were the days tho

3 weeks ago '12        #17
jrb313 
Props total: 3113 3 K  Slaps total: 397 397
 dubsax said
dont surprise me

How did you find out that it wrote itself to the firmware?

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+84online now  16
Got a Tesla to match my Tesla
72 comments
1 day ago
@rides
most viewed right now
online now  12
AEWxNJPW Forbidden Door 6/26/22
931 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+22online now  10
Youtube channel recommendations?
92 comments
2 days ago
@tech
most viewed right now
+55online now  8
Stephanie Tanner from Full House gets manhandled by LAPD at Pro Choice protest..
188 comments
1 day ago
@movies
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy