Canelo holds off on Bivol rematch for GGG trilogy

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section sports

1 month ago '05        #1
377 page views
9 comments

ElQueHablaSucio 
Props total: 20462 20 K  Slaps total: 5186 5 K
Canelo holds off on Bivol rematch for GGG trilogy

Turns out, it's status quo for Canelo Alvarez despite an unexpected defeat against Dmitry Bivol. Boxing's top star indicated at the post-f*ght news conference that he would exercise his rematch clause for a return bout with Bivol in September, but on Monday, he reversed course.

"We already had that contract [with Gennadiy Golovkin], that agreement, so we have to continue what we started, and I think those are the two biggest f*ghts in boxing, the f*ght with Golovkin and the rematch with Bivol," Alvarez said Monday at his golf invitational in Naucalpan, Mexico. "Unfortunately, we lost, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to try again.

"The important thing here is perseverance and we're going to do it again. What is certain is that we are going to return in September. And in the coming days ... we are going to announce the f*ght."

When Alvarez signed a multi-f*ght deal with Eddie Hearn's Matchroom Boxing in February, it included a Sept. 17 f*ght with GGG. Alvarez was a 4-1 favorite to defeat Bivol in a 175-pound title challenge, but he dropped a unanimous decision. The 31-year-old Mexican had 30 days to decide between two options on Sept. 17, sources tell ESPN: a rematch with Bivol or a third with Golovkin.

Now that Alvarez has made his choice, he'll return to 168 pounds, where he's the undisputed champion, and defend all four super middleweight titles vs. Golovkin on Mexican Independence Day weekend. The location hasn't been finalized, per sources, but the first two bouts took place in Las Vegas, and each generated over $20 million in gate receipts.

Even in the aftermath of the loss, Canelo-GGG 3 is perhaps the biggest commercial f*ght in all of boxing. The September 2017 clash for the unified middleweight championship ended in a controversial split draw. The rematch, one year later, was narrowly won by Alvarez via majority decision.

The third bout will be contested at 168 pounds and double as Golovkin's debut, at 40 years old, as a full-fledged super middleweight.

Golovkin, a unified middleweight titleholder, has been making the 160-pound limit since he won an Olympic silver medal in 2004. The extra eight pounds could benefit Golovkin, Hearn said, and he believes the loss to Bivol makes the f*ght even bigger.

"I am comfortable knowing I won those f*ghts," Golovkin, ESPN's No. 2 middleweight, told ESPN in March. "I do not look back at the decisions. ... I thought I won the first two, so winning the third one would be the same to me."

Both matchups were thrilling action f*ghts contested at the highest level. Plenty of bad blood remains, too, after Alvarez tested positive for the banned substance clenbuterol ahead of the planned May 2018 rematch. He was suspended six months, despite his claim that the adverse finding was the result of tainted meat consumed in Mexico, and the rematch was rescheduled for September 2018 -- but not before Golovkin hurled plenty of insults at Alvarez.

Said Alvarez: "[Golovkin] always say something about me; he always talking about me. That's why [it's personal]."
visit this link https://www.espn.com/boxi .. -bivol-rematch

Damn you Eddie hearn. Nobody asked for a trilogy.
+2   

best
worst
9 comments

1 month ago '18        #2
Armstrong 102 
Props total: 10350 10 K  Slaps total: 3831 3 K
Canelo needs to finally get a win VS GGG. He probably don't sleep at night knowing those fake wins. You need proof of Melo having the judges in his pocket look at that Bivol loss. Canelo max won 3 rounds these judges gave him the first 4 rounds lololol. Don't know how any professional can give Canelo that 1st round it's embarrassing for the sport when things like that are done that way. Not to mention Canelo was the challenger so he was the one who had to bring the f*ght to the champion to even be close to win.
+5   

1 month ago '15        #3
Djkataz 
Props total: 2132 2 K  Slaps total: 369 369

+4   

1 month ago '17        #4
bayareabosses 
Props total: 2701 2 K  Slaps total: 394 394
canelo a bi*ch. knew he would f*ght the old man and not benavidez or charlo
+1   

1 month ago '12        #5
CaLis LEGACY 
Props total: 6754 6 K  Slaps total: 910 910
pu**y move....i feel like GGG gonna take it to him

Canelo run is over. He knows it and his team knows....if he was all about the smoke and legacy like he said he was he would ve of got the rematch with bivol
+1   

1 month ago '09        #6
rexplosive  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x12
Props total: 17884 17 K  Slaps total: 1757 1 K
 CaLis LEGACY said
pu**y move....i feel like GGG gonna take it to him

Canelo run is over. He knows it and his team knows....if he was all about the smoke and legacy like he said he was he would ve of got the rematch with bivol
Size matters
+1   

1 month ago '08        #7
Skilly713 
Props total: 34199 34 K  Slaps total: 2357 2 K
“Even in the aftermath of the loss, Canelo-GGG 3 is perhaps the biggest commercial f*ght in all of boxing. “

Now they know damn well
+1   

1 month ago '20        #8
HubrisOfMan 
Props total: 4077 4 K  Slaps total: 320 320
I think this is DAZN telling Canelo, Hey hey....look we went on your trip to try and get another undisputed.
It didn't work, Tough cookie cinnamon.

NOW you will f*ght GGG and bring us in the money.
The fact that its a likely chance you lose again, hell no you doing this for us.

Canelo needs to take a break/easy f*ght.
He f*ghting so often and its great, but if I ever seen a worn f*ghter it would be Canelo.
His hair looked like sh*t last f*ght press conference, looked like he had trained himself into hell and back.

GGG is NO CAKE WALK, despite him being older.
Canelo bang with him because it works and GGG is just easier to hit with power punches.
Could create a false confidence and he get caught in a flash knockdown.

Same way I could see Canelo doing that to some younger stud later in his career if he keeps on f*ghting that long.
+2   

1 month ago '14        #9
iDisrespectHoez 
Props total: 13668 13 K  Slaps total: 752 752

Bivol beats him 10 out of 10 times.
+1   

1 month ago '09        #10
nbthrilla 
Props total: 2041 2 K  Slaps total: 477 477
Every boxer on BX other than Canelo has 1 hard f*ght a every 2 year average and guys are calling him pu**y for no immediate rematch

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+17online now  22
Youtube channel recommendations?
72 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
+38online now  10
Robert Downey Jr pulled off one of the greatest entertainment career comebacks..
82 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+73online now  8
Video inside Darth Vader | Sith Lord
64 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+25online now  7
Nostalgia of growing up in New Orleans, all my Louisianimals get in here!!
64 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy