Beat Makers & Producers, Whatís Yíallís Music Production Story?

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section wild 'ish

1 month ago '22        #1
3913 page views
345 comments

usafveteran  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 3706 3 K  Slaps total: 275 275
Beat Makers & Producers, Whatís Yíallís Music Production Story?

Was a youngin smoking, drinking, and watching the boondocks season 1 with my homie in like 08 and he randomly says you know I play piano and make beats and unveils this and fu*king put on a beat dope as beat tape!

So I’m like yo teach me to make beats and he was like fu*k you lil n*gga teach yourself!

Fast forward a couple years I’m active duty and grab my first midi keyboard!

Bit later I get married for that sweet sweet BAH, get a house on base and start a home studio and decide I want to give drum machines a shot so I start scoping out Craigslist and it’s MPC 2000/XL’s galore. I was stationed here in the DMV and that was the year Wale dropped pretty girls and blew up and everyone decided to rap so they were going for a ton. Wife told her coworker and he sold me this for $700!

Needless to say I fell in love with drum machines off having this but by then it was outdated and I needed something more current and wasn’t tryna pay out the nose for an MPC 2000 or 2000XL with a card reader. Fortunately, Native instruments just dropped their new product and I grabbed the mini version and it was flames from the pads to the software!

Around that time I got bored and wanted to fu*k with some zap and roger sh*t so I grabbed this as well and it was an absolute piece of sh*t!

Then I said fu*k it I want a stand-alone and went full retard and bought another piece of sh*t because I was mil to mil and BAH was plentiful!

So then I had a fu*king Kanye level manic episode while on leave, got hospitalized, and found out I have fu*king bipolar. Of course my wife found out about all my side bi*ches across the country and trashes my studio. I came home to all my equipment destroyed, my Jordan’s and polo shoes all permanently creased, all my new era and polo hats permanently creased, and all my clothes bleached and cut up. So I’m fu*king looking like!

Obviously we split, I hit the dorms and fu*k everything that moved on base because I knew it’d get back to her and I’m fu*king petty and I can’t be saving all this game that was blessed upon me!

Anyway it super jaded me on music so I chilled out for a while. Seeing all your sh*t destroyed will fu*k with you!

Fast forward I get medically retired because I have another fu*king manic episode and decide to go to art school for audio engineering after I get out and cop one of these to scratch the itch!

Fast forward some more years and I get the itch again and grab this because by this time I’m fluent in pro tools, logic, and mixing and mastering so I rock out with vsts which I’d grown to love!

I ditched art school after finding out audio engineers got paid peanuts and had to slave to hopefully get hired to work the sh*t sessions so I switched to criminal justice and got my first degree in that and I’m wrapping up my 2nd degree in that now!

Then a couple months ago I figured I’d give my 4 daughters the game on audio engineering and music production and grabbed this!

And it dies a fu*king month later bringing us to the current day!

fu*king manic me deletes everything pictures, videos, beats, beat tapes, harddrives etc but I might be able to find some old beat tape covers and upload those. I’m not mad though because I had a ton of dope a*s moments with people all over the DMV and truth be told I enjoy engineering more as I don’t have to drain myself using creative energy. These days I’d rather do voice overs, foley, and sound design with the kiddos and teach them how to do that though. What’s y’all’s production story? Drop your current or past gear!

Edit: I forgot this joint grabbed it during my home studio stretch sh*t was a dope vibe out piece! Had to ditch a smilie to put this pic in.

Edit 2: forgot I had this too possibly not the exact one but it was small and had similar wood paneling came with hella old Moof sounds. Also during my home studio binge!

Edit 3: also had an MPD not sure which one but it was 16 pads minimal faders. I didn’t keep it long it felt like a*s after touching maschine pads. Also during the home studio days. Had to cut more smileys

Edit 4: current setup all streamlined now, thinking of grabbing an mpc studio and putting it to the right of my art tablet!
Chilling on Pro tools for the moment I’m sick of paying for fu*king subscription services lol

Last edited by usafveteran; 05-21-2022 at 08:50 AM..
+45   

best
worst
345 comments

Top 10 most slapped recently  1 month ago '17        #2
Obadiah1Verse18  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x26
Props total: 61791 61 K  Slaps total: 26751 26 K
I’m working so I don’t have time to go through the whole story, but I started off with Logic Pro X and Akai MPK mini and bought a MPC One about a year ago. Beats suck, but I’m getting better.
+7   

1 month ago '22        #3
usafveteran  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3 OP
 Obadiah1Verse18 said
Iím working so I donít have time to go through the whole story, but I started off with Logic Pro X and Akai MPK mini and bought a MPC One about a year ago. Beats suck, but Iím getting better.
Thatís dope and itís a process man I feel like my breaks in between always cost me skill wise because I have to relearn the software and hardware. Iíll just say stick to it and donít force it I used to stress myself out initially tryna be like Kanye and do 5 beats a day for three summers!
+10   

1 month ago '07        #4
Damagegadget  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 65191 65 K  Slaps total: 8588 8 K
I was a dj.. met these rappers rest was history

Been and still ditc

But more into music theory

I got away from beat machines because I find daws have more tools to steam line workflow when I make edm and remixes

Lately I have been making my own samples with vst’s

+18   

1 month ago '22        #5
 Damagegadget said
I was a dj.. met these rappers rest was history

Been and still ditc

But more into music theory

I got away from beat machines because I find daws have more tools to steam line workflow when I make edm and remixes

Lately I have been making my own samples with vstís

Dope sh*t my man! I got mad respect for DJs!
+2   

1 month ago '04        #6
MegaTON 
Props total: 18464 18 K  Slaps total: 3519 3 K

started wantin to make beats on this combo (fruity loops 3 + cheap pc)

wanted to be able to play records so i got some sh*t like this - but the portability of cd's at the time - i ended up fw cd's more - ended up getting back into vinyl years later

next upgrade: mpc 1000 + decent turntable (just started samplin anything with a dope cover/dollar bin sh*t/soundtracks/comps etc. - eventually started to know what was good as far as records "for beats" go)

current setup, the workflow is nice af for me, i dont get into too much technical sh*t just want the beat to be bangin

also had some other random equipment along the way like boss dr-550mkII/fx pedals/software/midi keyboards etc
+17   

1 month ago '04        #7
MegaTON 
also anyone that wants them 90s drum samples/fx n sh*t from rnb to techno

<<< - a personal favorite
+7   

1 month ago '19        #8
ym7171yea  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x10
Props total: 22308 22 K  Slaps total: 5041 5 K
Alesis makes piece of sh*t keyboards
+3   

1 month ago '19        #9
Get your kid this and presonus studio one

Or an Akai mpk mini mk3 and serato studio if you're poor
+2   

1 month ago '19        #11

+4   

1 month ago '19        #12
DAW Journey FL Studio then Acid then FL then Studio One then (current) Bitwig and Renoise for beats studio one for vocals sometimes use every other DAW MPC Ableton etc
+3   

1 month ago '19        #13

+3   

1 month ago '19        #14
Beginners should try Renoise and Serato Studio first. You don't really need any hardware for either one they work with your keyboard and mouse easily Renoise is designed to be controlled from your computer keyboard.
+5   

1 month ago '04        #15
Adwerdz  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x84
Props total: 176409 176 K  Slaps total: 22239 22 K
Started out djing collecting records as a teen.
Went to the army, Downloaded fruity loops in Korea and mimicked Clipse grinding. Then I switched to Reason, recycle, cubase, cool edit. Bought my first drum machine, Sp-606 and a Yamaha motif.

Stepped up to the mpc 2000xl, then got the 2500
Been to couple beat battles and A3C festivals with producer panels to soak up game n network. Met a lot of the top producers n artists in the industry. Then I started grinding n getting my brand together. Copped a Mpc X and its been go time ever since. Been plugged into the industry, getting placements and making an impact. I'm in the mix with the best of them. It's all about networking n marketing yourself.
+10   

1 month ago '04        #16
MegaTON 
that zoom up there is trash but the sampletrak goes hard!

1:30
+4   

1 month ago '18        #17
Rugby Jones  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 55794 55 K  Slaps total: 8327 8 K
As Beat Maker : i studied
Roots- things fall apart
Dame Grease
Timbo (my#1Goat)
Dilla (my#2Goat)
Notts...Basslines
DJ Scratch
Primo
Rza
Ye
JUST

As a Producer: i hate Rappers

They got me back to making loops
Cause Griselda
+7   

1 month ago '18        #18
Ryo857 
Props total: 6972 6 K  Slaps total: 780 780
My boy in HS used to rock with SoundForge he made DJ premiere type of tracks at the time he put me on to making beats but I had a cracked version of acid and some DJloops sound kit and moved on to cracked version of FL studio (fruity loops back then) then stepped up bought the actual program from there

+7   

1 month ago '17        #19
Eightyeight 
Props total: 9227 9 K  Slaps total: 312 312
It all started with FL for me. I was playing around with the demo version until I found out about cracks, then it was a wrap. Sold a few beats in the MySpace days and fell in love with beat making

A homie taught me how to chop samples with slicex and it was a game changer for me. At this time, 9th wonder was my biggest influence (minstrel show Era) so I was really drawn to the sampled sh*t. My production style is still sample heavy and I've tried other DAWs, but FL has my heart lol. I eventually bought it after watching a Curtiss King video, I don't do any cracked or pirated software, vsts, or dum kits anymore.

My setup is an m1 Mac air, mpk25, 2i2, and old a*s rokit 5s. I got my Stanton turntable if I find samples on vinyl, but there is so much sh*t you can find on your phone now it's crazy. All of these vsts, drum kits etc. are nice nowadays and this sh*t is more portable than ever. I'll probably do this sh*t for the rest of my life
+8   

1 month ago '20        #20
BigStik305 
Props total: 2479 2 K  Slaps total: 893 893
 usafveteran said
Was a youngin smoking, drinking, and watching the boondocks season 1 with my homie in like 08 and he randomly says you know I play piano and make beats and unveils this and fu*king put on a beat dope as beat tape!

So Iím like yo teach me to make beats and he was like!

fu*k you lil n*gga teach yourself!

Fast forward a couple years Iím active duty and grab my first midi keyboard!

Bit later I get married for that sweet sweet BAH, get a house on base and start a home studio and decide I want to give drum machines a shot so I start scoping out Craigslist and itís MPC 2000/XLís galore. I was stationed here in the DMV and that was the year Wale dropped pretty girls and blew up and everyone decided to rap so they were going for a ton. Wife told her coworker and he sold me this for $700!

Needless to say I fell in love with drum machines off having this but by then it was outdated and I needed something more current and wasnít tryna pay out the nose for an MPC 2000 or 2000XL with a card reader. Fortunately, Native instruments just dropped their new product and I grabbed the mini version and it was flames from the pads to the software!

Around that time I got bored and wanted to fu*k with some zap and roger sh*t so I grabbed this as well and it was an absolute piece of sh*t!

Then I said fu*k it I want a stand-alone and went full retard and bought another piece of sh*t because I was mil to mil and BAH was plentiful!

So then I had a fu*king Kanye level manic episode while on leave, got hospitalized, and found out I have fu*king bipolar. Of course my wife found out about all my side bi*ches across the country and trashes my studio. I came home to all my equipment destroyed, my Jordanís and polo shoes all permanently creased, all my new era and polo hats permanently creased, and all my clothes bleached and cut up. So Iím fu*king looking like!

Obviously we split, I hit the dorms and fu*k everything that moved on base because I knew itíd get back to her and Iím fu*king petty and I canít be saving all this game that was blessed upon me!

Anyway it super jaded me on music so I chilled out for a while. Seeing all your sh*t destroyed will fu*k with you!

Fast forward I get medically retired because I have another fu*king manic episode and decide to go to art school for audio engineering after I get out and cop one of these to scratch the itch!

Fast forward some more years and I get the itch again and grab this because by this time Iím fluent in pro tools, logic, and mixing and mastering so I rock out with vsts which Iíd grown to love!

I ditched art school after finding out audio engineers got paid peanuts and had to slave to hopefully get hired to work the sh*t sessions so I switched to criminal justice and got my first degree in that and Iím wrapping up my 2nd degree in that now!

Then a couple months ago I figured Iíd give my 4 daughters the game on audio engineering and music production and grabbed this!

And it dies a fu*king month later bringing us to the current day!

fu*king manic me deletes everything pictures, videos, beats, beat tapes, harddrives etc but I might be able to find some old beat tape covers and upload those. Iím not mad though because I had a ton of dope a*s moments with people all over the DMV and truth be told I enjoy engineering more as I donít have to drain myself using creative energy. These days Iíd rather do voice overs, foley, and sound design with the kiddos and teach them how to do that though. Whatís yíallís production story? Drop your current or past gear!
Yooo props on your story. I'm 31, been producing since 2006, started on FL studio with no equipment or nothing. Eventually got an M audio 49 key midi keyboard. That upped my game big time.

Then a few years later just went dumb and bought mad equipment. Built a production studio at the crib, sound proofed the walls. I got the OG mk1 Native Instruments Maschine that I rocked with for years, now I have the Maschine studio which I love, I refuse to get the new maschine because I love the studio so much. If Native Instruments made a studio version of the new one I would cop it.

My first interface was a Tascam US-1800 audio interface, now I'm rocking the Apollo. I have the Akai mini keyboard as well which I use more than my 49 key. Been thinking about getting the Native Instruments keyboard but I think they're wayyy overpriced.

Since high school I always free styled for fun with the homies and eventually bought a mic and the SE electronics mic shield. And started recording some friends and messing around recording myself.

To this day still producing on the Maschine studio, and I have tons of VST's and sounds. Got Komplete ultimate, Serum, Nexus, Omnisphere, Output bundle, Izotope, Mellatron, Pigments. Have tons more I cant even think of, those are just some of my go to's right now. I got splice which I typically will get a lot of drums off there.

One of my best friends father owns Circle House Studios down here in North Miami. So I grew up around the studio since a kid. Played saxophone since elementary, I always been involved with music in one way or another.

I helped co produce a couple Ace Hood songs and one for Yo Gotti as well. Didn't produce the entire beats for them but had a hand in a bunch of sh*t. I don't even like taking cred for it because of the small hand I had in them, but better than nothing.

Definitely slacked the last few years tho, I own a detailing business that consumes a lot of my time, but I still make a couple beats per week. The old saying is you're only 1 hit record / beat away from making it big. So just gotta keep grinding and stay consistent.
+7   

1 month ago '22        #21
 MegaTON said

started wantin to make beats on this combo (fruity loops 3 + cheap pc)

wanted to be able to play records so i got some sh*t like this - but the portability of cd's at the time - i ended up fw cd's more - ended up getting back into vinyl years later

next upgrade: mpc 1000 + decent turntable (just started samplin anything with a dope cover/dollar bin sh*t/soundtracks/comps etc. - eventually started to know what was good as far as records "for beats" go)

current setup, the workflow is nice af for me, i dont get into too much technical sh*t just want the beat to be bangin

also had some other random equipment along the way like boss dr-550mkII/fx pedals/software/midi keyboards etc
You got some good sh*t my man keep grinding! Itís funny because we all start with a ton of gear and then over the years learn to do it all on a DAW with a minimal setup sh*ts crazy!
+3   

1 month ago '04        #22
MegaTON 
tip: play some breaks over an ambient record
ex. play these two videos at the same time

+4   

1 month ago '22        #23
 ym7171yea said
Alesis makes piece of sh*t keyboards
I know fam they suck every time I loved the MPK mini but they keys are way too small. I had an Alesid drum machine that was fire Iíll add it to the OP. Used to get up early, slap on some headphones in my home studio, and crank out joints on it while watching the sun rise!

+2   

1 month ago '19        #24
 Eightyeight said
It all started with FL for me. I was playing around with the demo version until I found out about cracks, then it was a wrap. Sold a few beats in the MySpace days and fell in love with beat making

A homie taught me how to chop samples with slicex and it was a game changer for me. At this time, 9th wonder was my biggest influence (minstrel show Era) so I was really drawn to the sampled sh*t. My production style is still sample heavy and I've tried other DAWs, but FL has my heart lol. I eventually bought it after watching a Curtiss King video, I don't do any cracked or pirated software, vsts, or dum kits anymore.

My setup is an m1 Mac air, mpk25, 2i2, and old a*s rokit 5s. I got my Stanton turntable if I find samples on vinyl, but there is so much sh*t you can find on your phone now it's crazy. All of these vsts, drum kits etc. are nice nowadays and this sh*t is more portable than ever. I'll probably do this sh*t for the rest of my life
I did the opposite I felt like I didn't understand music theory well enough to use samples I always worried I was doing it wrong so I learned how to write songs with midi instead and make them sound like samples if I want
+3   

1 month ago '04        #25
MegaTON 
 usafveteran said
You got some good sh*t my man keep grinding! Itís funny because we all start with a ton of gear and then over the years learn to do it all on a DAW with a minimal setup sh*ts crazy!
i still got an mpc 1000/fl studio but this koala sampler + midi controller (even without the controller) is where its at - can make beats just chillin/at work/in the car/chillin in the park or whatever lol - had the bootleg for about 6 months then bought the full one (under $15 for everything) its similar to the old impc app but a lil more user friendly and they been updatin it like crazy

u can add or undo sh*t quick af - doesnt have all the bells and whistles of fl studio but the limitations are some of my favorite parts of different samplers, *keeps me from polishin a turd nahmean lol

i still use fl studio to edit some samples/make drum kits/use it as a sample rack too, i make beats on it but i use the step sequencer and i dont know how to export that sh*t right lol
+2   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+20online now  14
We Need to Talk About Herogasm
107 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+188online now  13
Article inside Lil TJay Update: 6/24 7:30pm EST
220 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  12
Video inside Wait: Lord Brownlee is doing car reviews too!!! (F150 Lightning)
27 comments
1 day ago
@rides
most viewed right now
online now  3
Jun 24 - Democrats Out Here Singing While Roe V Wade Is Being Overturned
115 comments
1 day ago
@news
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy