May 19 - Amazon Makes Union Organizer Pick Up Cigarette Butts Alone in Parking Lot

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT
most viewed right now
86 replies  @wild'ish

most viewed right now
31 replies  @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

1 month ago '11        #1
3542 page views
89 comments

Sin  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x51
Props total: 186736 186 K  Slaps total: 25108 25 K
May 19 - Amazon Makes Union Organizer Pick Up Cigarette Butts Alone in Parking Lot

Another union organizer at the same warehouse in upstate New York was fired for not using a step stool to move totes full of merchandise.

Last week, Amazon transferred Ashley Mercer, an outspoken union organizer and warehouse worker in Liverpool, New York, to a solitary job outside her warehouse picking up trash, broken glass, and cigarette butts.

“Approved for 10 hours parking lot clean-up,” an Amazon job accommodation report for Mercer says. Mercer, who is pregnant and at the end of her second trimester, said her manager gave her a trash bag and sent her outside without water or sunscreen on May 11 as heat climbed into the 80s.

On the same day, Amazon also suspended her partner, Jason Main, another vocal union organizer. It later terminated him for not using a step stool to move totes full of merchandise, Main said.

This week, Mercer and Main filed an unfair labor practice charge against Amazon with the National Labor Relations Board, claiming that Amazon had retaliated against them “because [they] engaged in union activities.”

Last month, Amazon warehouse workers at JFK8 in Staten Island became the first in the United States to unionize, a victory that shocked the labor establishment and made national headlines. Their worker-led union, known as Amazon Labor Union, formed less than a year ago in Staten Island.

Since then, Amazon warehouse workers around the country have taken steps toward unionizing, and Amazon has cracked down on, disciplined, and terminated union organizers at its facilities, seemingly fearing that a wave of unionization could spread across its U.S. warehouses.

Over the past year, Mercer, who is 33 years old, has been vocal about her support for a union at Amazon, talking to her co-workers in break rooms and passing out Amazon Labor Union fliers at JFK8, the Amazon warehouse in Staten Island that became the first in U.S. history to vote to unionize, in April.

More recently, Mercer organized at two Amazon warehouses near Syracuse, New York, where she has often arrived to work donning a t-shirt and mask emblazoned with the Amazon Labor Union logo, and openly engaged workers in the warehouse about bringing union activity in New York City to their upstate warehouse.

“It wasn't until I started mentioning that I am part of Amazon Labor Union that they pulled me out of my position and put me outside the building,” Mercer told Motherboard about her experience at SYR1, the brand-new Amazon warehouse in Liverpool, where she works. “I think it’s retaliation because I’m a big part of [Amazon Labor Union], and it feels like as soon as you bring up the union, they treat you differently.”

Mercer is 24 weeks pregnant and requested pregnancy accommodations on May 6 and to be transferred to another position within her warehouse, where she didn’t have to lift heavy items.

Amazon did not respond to a request for comment.

Amazon has so far refused to recognize the union in Staten Island, arguing that the results of the election should be overturned because Amazon Labor Union organizers interfered with the outcome.

“Amazon has a broad-based campaign to crush union organizing at Amazon, and it won’t succeed,” said Seth Goldstein, a labor attorney who represents Amazon Labor Union and filed the unfair labor practice charges on behalf of Main and Mercer.

Main says he also wore Amazon Labor Union merchandise to work, organized his Amazon co-workers, and spoke out frequently to defend Amazon workers with disabilities on the warehouse floor and on the company’s internal messaging board, Voice of Amazon. (Main has sleep apnea.)

Main said Amazon fired him over the phone on Tuesday for not using a step stool to move totes full of merchandise—something he says his co-workers do regularly without punishment. “This is 100 percent retaliation,” said Main. “When I asked senior ops on the phone, what about consistent application of policy?, they said, ‘We’re not talking about anyone else. You’re terminated.’”

Motherboard obtained a separate unfair labor practice charge that Main filed against Amazon for retaliatory termination.

visit this link https://www.vice.com/en/a .. in-parking-lot

Last edited by Sin; 05-19-2022 at 02:00 PM..
+13   

best
worst
89 comments

1 month ago '12        #2
daman729 
Props total: 102864 102 K  Slaps total: 4152 4 K
WTF. A Grand SMH

Last edited by daman729; 05-20-2022 at 05:53 PM..
+13   

1 month ago '06        #3
Skateboard T  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 111309 111 K  Slaps total: 23355 23 K
I really don't get how these leads who are really just one step up from the entry level employees get suckered into the cult of amazon like that.

Like bro, you're making $18/hr compared to their $12/hr but willing to send a pregnant woman out in a blacktop parking lot on an 80+ degree day without water or sunscreen? and for what? Because she tried to make everybody's job better?
+98   

1 month ago '05        #4
pippen33 
Props total: 39454 39 K  Slaps total: 3095 3 K
 Skateboard T said
I really don't get how these leads who are really just one step up from the entry level employees get suckered into the cult of amazon like that.

Like bro, you're making $18/hr compared to their $12/hr but willing to send a pregnant woman out in a blacktop parking lot on an 80+ degree day without water or sunscreen? and for what? Because she tried to make everybody's job better?
Agree but the leads are taking direction from someone higher up the food chain. If the lead doesn't do it then they could lose their job. So it becomes k*ll or be k*lled..

It shouldnt be legal but when you are an "at-will" employee then you basically have no rights and its damn near to impossible to prove retaliation.
+37   

1 month ago '15        #5
Prad Bitt 
Props total: 19439 19 K  Slaps total: 1517 1 K
Y’all keep supporting Bezos though
+27   

1 month ago '04        #6
tnice 
Props total: 24982 24 K  Slaps total: 887 887

+21   

1 month ago '16        #7
postemupndunkit 
Props total: 81413 81 K  Slaps total: 9719 9 K
 Skateboard T said

Everyone's an overseer if you look at life in the same vein
+12   

1 month ago '21        #8
Busterdog 
Props total: 3868 3 K  Slaps total: 264 264
 Skateboard T said

They most likely been the entry level worker at one point themselves and are absolutely terrified to go back down there or be fired themselves.

It’s horrible but I suppose it’s only natural.
+6   

1 month ago '04        #9
nobody 
Props total: 8331 8 K  Slaps total: 987 987
The passive aggressiveness is unreal when it comes to these massive corps being anti union.
+18   

1 month ago '11        #10
bonez79  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x12
Props total: 46481 46 K  Slaps total: 9673 9 K
So what's the problem, this is what you sign up for when you're not your own boss?

1 month ago '17        #11
Naga Sadow  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x23
Props total: 227953 227 K  Slaps total: 18311 18 K
 Skateboard T said

People feel special when they have someone to look down on and think they're goona be eating at the same table with the big dogs.
+16   

1 month ago '05        #12
SoReal 
Props total: 5355 5 K  Slaps total: 413 413
 bonez79 said
So what's the problem, this is what you sign up for when you're not your own boss?
Not everyone can be there own boss. Someone has to do the job. I'm my own boss but I worked a 9-5 for more than 10 years before I am where I am now.
+15   

1 month ago '14        #13
strungout  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 169626 169 K  Slaps total: 37594 37 K
I wish a muthafu*kawould who makes $18 dollars an hour try to boss me around
+6   

1 month ago '11        #14
bonez79  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x12
Props total: 46481 46 K  Slaps total: 9673 9 K
 SoReal said
Not everyone can be there own boss. Someone has to do the job. I'm my own boss but I worked a 9-5 for more than 10 years before I am where I am now.
That's a lie.

1 month ago '18        #15
TexasPlayaMayne  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x22
Props total: 22189 22 K  Slaps total: 16872 16 K
 Prad Bitt said
Well what did he do wrong? This broke man built all this sh*t from scratch on his own.

His sh*t got so big, now the government has say so in his sh*t, that he created, people telling him what to do with the sh*t he created, they stopping him from buying other sh*t because they claim its a "monopoly", even though he did all this with his bare hands.

Its crazy how you work hard and build your own sh*t, now everyone else is allowed imput when they didnt do a damn thang to help him when he was down and out.

Yall aint worth a damn.

1 month ago '05        #16
SoReal 
Props total: 5355 5 K  Slaps total: 413 413
 bonez79 said
That's a lie.
Yeah some people dont have the same push, some people don't have the interest, some people don't have the same opportunity, some people are in a circumstance.
+9   

1 month ago '04        #17
orv 
Props total: 10274 10 K  Slaps total: 1580 1 K
The people who are initially retaliated against, union organizers, eventually join the union full-time as business agents then give the company hell any time they mess with a union member. Vicious cycle.
+9   

1 month ago '22        #18
Jeffrey in 813 
Props total: 1753 1 K  Slaps total: 617 617
 postemupndunkit said
Everyone's an overseer if you look at life in the same vein
Deep.

But not me though. I'm one of the good guys
+3   

1 month ago '06        #19
Big Bear 
Props total: 56830 56 K  Slaps total: 11186 11 K
 Prad Bitt said
He is a role model

1 month ago '16        #20
Proveone  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 104792 104 K  Slaps total: 6712 6 K
No surprises...

Power concedes NOTHING
+22   

1 month ago '13        #21
rifair 
Props total: 12923 12 K  Slaps total: 2999 2 K
 TexasPlayaMayne said
Well what did he do wrong? This broke man built all this sh*t from scratch on his own.

His sh*t got so big, now the government has say so in his sh*t, that he created, people telling him what to do with the sh*t he created, they stopping him from buying other sh*t because they claim its a "monopoly", even though he did all this with his bare hands.

Its crazy how you work hard and build your own sh*t, now everyone else is allowed imput when they didnt do a damn thang to help him when he was down and out.

Yall aint worth a damn.

n*gga shut up
+7   

1 month ago '07        #22
dbbabd  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 2153 2 K  Slaps total: 769 769
 Skateboard T said

Man y’all really got to stop talking about sh*t you don’t know. Amazon doesn’t have “leads” and hourly people do not make these calls. Entry’s level manager salary at Amazon is about 65-75k total comp

1 month ago '18        #23
ChrisPartlowFro 
Props total: 41614 41 K  Slaps total: 5190 5 K
This isn’t Bezos. This is the COO and CFO doing this sh*t while everyone blames Jeff. We start shaming their C-Level Suites?

1 month ago '17        #24
DavidTheMan 
Props total: 28976 28 K  Slaps total: 15770 15 K
Lol, you have to know that no employer is going to let you fu*k up their business with union sh*t.

She ahould be happy and just pick up the trash and get paid.

1 month ago '18        #25
TexasPlayaMayne  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x22
Props total: 22189 22 K  Slaps total: 16872 16 K
 rifair said
n*gga shut up
Not one single response, you worthless a*s bi*ch. What work have you put in to help Amazon become the company it is today??

Now broke on the internet, trynna tell bosses how to run they sh*t.

He started his sh*t from the ground up, where was your broke a*s at when he was working his fingers down to the bone n*gga??

Its crazy you lazy mf's cant see how delusional you are. You aint do a damn thang for Amazon, now all of a sudden people creating rules for his sh*t that he made from the dirt.

Shameful af.

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+188online now  54
Article inside Lil TJay Update: 6/24 7:30pm EST
214 comments
24 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  27
Image(s) inside Amazon Announces Alexa Can Mimic the Voice of Deceased Relatives
51 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
+224online now  22
Video inside Boxden do u believe why she says “Most men are single”?
106 comments
24 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+53online now  20
Video inside Lion's dog friends came thru for a visit
29 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy