May 13 - Crack pipes given to addicts in ‘safe drug’ sites

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

2 weeks ago '19        #1
1026 page views
42 comments

Mizery 
Props total: 353 353  Slaps total: 151 151
May 13 - Crack pipes given to addicts in ‘safe drug’ sites

The Washington Free Beacon found that five sites in Boston, New York City, Baltimore, Washington D.C., and Richmond, Va. included the hard drug pipes in so-called “safe smoking kits” – though it remains unclear if any have applied for or will receive funds from the administration’s $30 million Harm Reduction Program Grant that will be doled out later this month.

The Department of Health and Human Services’ Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) announced the grant program in February, saying it would pay for “required harm reduction activities that the money must be used for including the purchase of “equipment and supplies to enhance harm reduction efforts, such as … Safe smoking kits/supplies.”

At the time, the Free Beacon cited a HHS spokesperson as saying the safe smoking kits and supplies would include crack pipes – however the Department quickly called the report “inaccurate.”

Karen Bigg, of Chicago Recovery Alliance, holds safe smoking kits for drug use on Tuesday, Feb. 15, 2022, in Chicago.
The Washington Free Beacon reported cities providing alleged crack pipes at safe drug-sites.
Terrence Antonio James/Chicago Tribune/Tribune News Service via Getty Images
“The Harm Reduction Grant … is a grant program designed to help Americans who are struggling with substance use stay healthy and safe, prevent overdose death, and find pathways into evidence-based treatments. Like all programs that use federal funding, these grants must adhere to relevant federal, state and local laws or regulations,” the initial spokesperson had told the outlet, not mentioning pipes in the response.

“SAMHSA does not specify the kits’ elements – only the parameters.”

The White House quickly defended the program, with press secretary Jen Psaki telling reporters that such pipes “were never a part of the kit.”

August 14, 2019: Domingas DaRosa shows the discarded needles and Narcan he picks up as he cleans up needles in the Southampton Street and Melnea Cass Blvd area in Boston, Massachusetts.(
The Department of Health and Human Services has stated their grant can be used to purchase “Safe smoking kits/supplies.”
Nicolaus Czarnecki/MediaNews Group/Boston Herald via Getty Images
“It was inaccurate reporting and we wanted to put out information to make that clear,” she said, adding that the kits could include lip balm, alcohol swabs or other materials meant to help prevent the transmission of diseases like HIV and hepatitis.

HHS at the time also directly denied any federal funding “will be used directly or through subsequent reimbursement of grantees to put pipes in safe smoking kits.”

Allie Hunter, co-founder and president of Addiction Response Resources, gives a participant ten dollars in one dollar coins after they turned in 50 needles to the Community Syringe Redemption Program in Nubian Square, Roxbury, MA on September 14, 2021.
White House press secretary Jen Psaki denied the White House is spending federal funds on crack pipes.
Jessica Rinaldi/The Boston Globe via Getty Images
In response to the Free Beacon’s Thursday report, Psaki reiterated “no federal funding” had gone to purchase the pipes obtained by the outlet.

“This policy does not allow for crack pipes to be included,” she added. “I would just note that this is a bit of a conspiracy theory that’s been spread out there. It’s not accurate. There’s important drug treatment programs for people who have been suffering from what we’ve seen as an epidemic across the country, and money is not used for crack pipes.”

In Baltimore, a safe smoking kit distributed at the nonprofit organization Charm City Care Connection includes glass pipes, copper mesh and instructions on how to use the pipe. The organization has received state funding in the past, including $200,000 in government grants in 2019, according to the Free Beacon report.

A man fixes a watch as he holds a pipe to smoke basuco, a highly addictive drug consisting of low-grade cocaine mixed with coca paste and other substances, in downtown Medellin, Colombia, on February 25, 2022.
The Department of Health and Human Services claims it does not decide whether states can issue crack pipes.
JOAQUIN SARMIENTO/AFP via Getty Images
A few hours north in Boston, the Access, Harm Reduction, Overdose Prevention and Education facility offered a bin of pipes for users to take from. The facility is reportedly run by the Boston Public Health Commission.

The Alliance’s Lower East Side Harm Reduction Center in New York also provides pipes – for smoking crack cocaine as well as meth – and smoking literature, the Free Beacon found. The center – which reportedly has received $20 million in funding from HHS since 2004 – also distributed copper mesh, which is used to hold a crack rock at the end of a pipe.

In Washington DC, the Honoring Individual Power and Strength harm reduction center also provides various pipes and has a history of receiving $3.1 million in funding from SAMHSA since 2018.

SEE ALSO

Deb Walker visits the grave of her daughter, Brooke Goodwin. Brooke died in March 2021 of an overdose.
US overdose deaths hit record 107,000 last year
The fifth location the outlet visited was the River City Harm Redux organization in Richmond. The location provided a crack cocaine smoking kit, as well as a meth pipe and two “snorting kits” for users to snort drugs with.

It is unclear whether any of these organizations are among the roughly 25 recipients of the SAMHSA grants.

The Biden administration is expected to formally announce the recipients – which are limited to states; local, tribal, and territorial governments; tribal organizations; nonprofit community-based organizations; and primary and behavioral health organizations – later this month.

Recipients will receive up to a grand total of $9,750,00 per year or $29,250,000 over three years – the length of the program.

HHS declined to provide a list of the organizations that have applied for the funding to the Free Beacon due to “confidentiality,” the outlet reported.

“No federal funding is used directly or through subsequent reimbursement of grantees to purchase pipes in safer smoking kits,” HHS told The Post Thursday. “Grants include explicit prohibitions of federal funds to be used to purchase drug paraphernalia. As the United States confronts record overdose numbers, the Biden-Harris Administration is focused on a comprehensive drug control policy focused on stopping the illicit flow of drugs like fentanyl and evidence-based policies that reduce overdoses and save lives.”

visit this link https://nypost.com/2022/0 .. -biden-report/

best
worst
42 comments

2 weeks ago '21        #2
Tlatoani  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 24392 24 K  Slaps total: 6739 6 K
And?

Republicans literally have offered no solutions whatsoever to this problem. Those dudes are still harping on and on about Nixon's racist drug war.

To the point that they will demonize anything that helps people instead of treating them like pieces of sub-human crap.

Btw, this right wing garbage site made an article based on speculation. They're pushing a narrative, distracting you from the fact that we need to do something about all the drug addicts dying in our country so that you don't realize that Republicans are nothing but internet trolls in suits.

Last edited by Tlatoani; 05-13-2022 at 09:33 AM..
+7   

2 weeks ago '16        #3
Boogersugar  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x17
Props total: 98041 98 K  Slaps total: 14189 14 K
These are harm reduction programs that are proven to save money. These programs save money. It is more expensive to let them overdose or contract diseases and end up needing emergency care.

This program works, it's cheaper than the alternative, and it's much more humane to boot - why does it make dumbass conservatives so mad?

+13   

2 weeks ago '12        #4
OldBusiness  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 202475 202 K  Slaps total: 11737 11 K
This was news last year when it was announced, has been done before, hell Canada been doin it for years as a way to reduce the harm addicts who are going to use anyway could possibly experience from bad materials and so on. Vancouver instituted the same policy back in 2011 and other countries took notice at how it lowered the amount of them possibly dying, being injured, impacting the healthcare system etc:

Literally an article from 2011 announcing it when Vancouver ran the pilot. America isn't the only country doing this, some other nations even offer clean needles to reduce the impact of AIDs on their healthcare systems since....folks gone be addicts anyway
+6   

2 weeks ago '04        #5
LordBlanco|M  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 61465 61 K  Slaps total: 4773 4 K
if you cant fix the problem, at least make it better i guess
+3   

2 weeks ago '15        #6
DamianDragunov 
Props total: 66153 66 K  Slaps total: 9602 9 K
Needles I get, crack piped I don’t….
+1   

2 weeks ago '11        #7
0ddJoB 
Props total: 7943 7 K  Slaps total: 4899 4 K
 DamianDragunov said
Needles I get, crack piped I don’t….
They be manufacting the crack pipes lmfao
+2   

2 weeks ago '17        #8
LostTenets  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x47
Props total: 110454 110 K  Slaps total: 32075 32 K
They been doing this for years with heroin needles

2 weeks ago '22        #9
Deeebo  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 7010 7 K  Slaps total: 2907 2 K
Bidens*xuals voted for this
+3   

2 weeks ago '11        #10
SomeOnesoN  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 20970 20 K  Slaps total: 3044 3 K
They should implement ideas they have out in Europe for addicts. Either go all out or don't help at all. You'll end up making the situation worse if you half a*s it. I've been saying we should give addicts safe havens to use, with needle exchange programs, clean water, and filters. Heck, throw in test kits to see how much crap is in their drugs.

Meanwhile, pamphlets and on-site professionals for those who want to get clean. I believe there's a solution, we just can't half a*s it. Pharmaceutical companies such as Purdue should be taxed to fund these kinds of programs. I mean, it was their fault that many became addicted to their products through deceptive means. When the government intervened and changed the formula to oxycontin, many addicts went to heroin.

Last edited by SomeOnesoN; 05-13-2022 at 09:19 PM..
+2   

2 weeks ago '17        #11
lucifershammer  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 71957 71 K  Slaps total: 6890 6 K
What's a unsafe crack pipe?

People hitting asbestos coated lead?
+1   

2 weeks ago '16        #12
Fumo 
Props total: 10087 10 K  Slaps total: 837 837
So they gave out a bunch of these?

+2   

2 weeks ago '15        #13
The South 
Props total: 36536 36 K  Slaps total: 4625 4 K
 lucifershammer said
What's a unsafe crack pipe?

People hitting asbestos coated lead?
People use soda/beer cans to smoke crack. Motorcycle spark plugs. Brillo pad. Meth heads use light bulbs. Tin foil.
+2   

2 weeks ago '17        #14
lucifershammer  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 71957 71 K  Slaps total: 6890 6 K
 The South said
People use soda/beer cans to smoke crack. Motorcycle spark plugs. Brillo pad. Meth heads use light bulbs. Tin foil.
Never heard of anyone hitting a rock using a spark plug or that bulb by tweakers . but I have seen car antennas used by crackheads

But the rest I have seen smokers use. Their health hazards could be exaggerated

2 weeks ago '05        #15
tokinjohn  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 125664 125 K  Slaps total: 14992 14 K

+7   

2 weeks ago '16        #16
smokeytheblunt2 
Props total: 61523 61 K  Slaps total: 3573 3 K
slap away but i dont see the problem. these people arent going to stop and having them running around crazy isnt safe for the community. might as well make sh*t as safe as possible.......

the fallout from the war on drugs has been ugly and will only get uglier........
+3   

2 weeks ago '16        #17
smokeytheblunt2 
 tokinjohn said

every city and small town with drug major problems needs one. I hate to say it especially as a former heroin user but fake drugs were originally targeted to them and they knew the risk and didnt care. but now that people have gotten so good with pill presses and keep real prescription bottles on deck sh*ts different. people who dont know better are taking fake pils and dying and the junkies are mixing everything and having a blast. my sisters long time bf/father of my nephews passed a few weeks ago taking half a fake 30 cuz he had legit back pain and had to work.....

last weekend I thought I left my valuim at my house and borrowed some green xan bars my Day 1 had. I can usually tell a fake from a mile away but I got fooled and the scary part is that i got high and Im on suboxone, I should have been sick at the worst and feeling irritated at best but I was high as sh*t and have zero memory the two days I took them. I feel like a lit of people could really benefit from designated places to test pills and exchange drug instruments.........

Last edited by smokeytheblunt2; 05-13-2022 at 11:02 PM..
+3   

2 weeks ago '21        #18
Aztec King 
Props total: 18300 18 K  Slaps total: 5299 5 K
 Deeebo said
Bidens*xuals voted for this

+2   

2 weeks ago '05        #19
 smokeytheblunt2 said
every city and small town with drug major problems need them. I hate to say it especially as a former heroin user but fake drugs were originally targeted to them and they knew the risk and didnt care. but now that people have gotten so good with pill presses and keep real prescription bottles on deck sh*ts different. people who dont know better are taking fake pils and dying and the junkie are mixing everything and having a blast. my sisters long time bf/father of my nephews passed a few weeks ago taking half a fake 30 cuz he had legit back pain and had to work.....

last weekend I thought I left my valuim at my house and borrowed some green xan bars my Day 1 had. I can usually tell a fake for a mile away but I got fooled and the scary part is that i got high and Im on suboxone, I should have been sick at the worst and feeling irritated at best but I was high as sh*t and have zero memory the two days I took them. I feel like a lit of people could really benefit from designated places to test pills and exchange drug instruments.........
Damn never knew this about you, glad you was able to kick....my pops died from Heroin...my hometown city is terrible with drugs...they have a TV show in a surrounding city about how bad the drugs are & HBO did a doc on it...yeah I heard that got that fake 30's in my city and ppl dying from it cuz of the fetty in it Smh
+2   

2 weeks ago '21        #20
Aztec King 
Props total: 18300 18 K  Slaps total: 5299 5 K
 lucifershammer said
Never heard of anyone hitting a rock using a spark plug or that bulb by tweakers . but I have seen car antennas used by crackheads

But the rest I have seen smokers use. Their health hazards could be exaggerated
I've seen crack heads smoking out of this but shorter

+1   

2 weeks ago '16        #21
smokeytheblunt2 
these dudes that live and die on what their party's stance is on a subject are the most lost people on earth. its like you've never left your house in 15 years.......

fu*k biden but you guys are blaming him for sh*t that reagan helped create. fu*k trump but he too was fu*ked both ways because of reagan.........

2 weeks ago '16        #22
smokeytheblunt2 
 tokinjohn said
Damn never knew this about you, glad you was able to kick....my pops died from Heroin...my hometown city is terrible with drugs...they have a TV show in a surrounding city about how bad the drugs are & HBO did a doc on it...yeah I heard that got that fake 30's in my city and ppl dying from it cuz of the fetty in it Smh
Im really sorry to hear about your father. that breaks my heart hearing things like that. I'd bet that I've seen the doc. and yeah, sh*ts crazy out here.........'

theres been 5-6 deaths related to 30's in the last week. completely shocked that nobody died from those fake bars. for me not to even get sick means its sroner than subs and thats insane........

again, sorry about you dad.
+2   

2 weeks ago '05        #23
 smokeytheblunt2 said
Im really sorry to hear about your father. that breaks my heart hearing things like that. I'd bet that I've seen the doc. and yeah, sh*ts crazy out here.........'

theres been 5-6 deaths related to 30's in the last week. completely shocked that nobody died from those fake bars. for me not to even get sick means its sroner than subs and thats insane........

again, sorry about you dad.
It's cool man, I appreciate, he died in 99... What city you from you from Mass too? The Show Hightown is based on drugs, (it's on Starz) and they go to my hometown Alot (new bedford) but the show basically about Fetty and the use around there
+1   

Top 10 most propped recently  2 weeks ago '16        #24
kuul  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x11
Props total: 126735 126 K  Slaps total: 13802 13 K
Why would they need stems? I can understand needles.
+1   

2 weeks ago '16        #25
smokeytheblunt2 
 tokinjohn said
It's cool man, I appreciate, he died in 99... What city you from you from Mass too? The Show Hightown is based on drugs, (it's on Starz) and they go to my hometown Alot (new bedford) but the show basically about Fetty and the use around there
i thought that was the doc, that one was so sad it stuck with me. my Dad was born in Weymouth but the had bounced by the time he was 10 and when it was all said and done he had started a family in Columbus. it doesnt matter where you go in ohio its nothing but cornfields, 5 cities and drugs.........
+1   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+19online now  18
Video inside Video: Dumb a*s Gen Z Kids Can’t Answer Basic Questions
93 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+20online now  13
Eminem - The Eminem Show Expanded Edition Anticipation Thread
85 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+198online now  13
Video inside Woman becomes house wife after taking advice from Kevin Samuels. Other ..
255 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+79online now  12
Which One Of These Is The Actual Earth?
242 comments
18 hours ago
@wild'ish
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy