Jan 27 - study finds space travel destroys red blood cells, complicating Mars mission

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

4 months ago '07        #1
895 page views
26 comments

yola  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x79
Props total: 113206 113 K  Slaps total: 15468 15 K
Jan 27 - study finds space travel destroys red blood cells, complicating Mars mission

“If we can find out exactly what’s causing this anemia, then there is a potential to treat it or prevent it — both for astronauts and for patients here on Earth.”

Astronauts destroy 54 per cent more red blood cells during space travel than on Earth, according to a new Ottawa study that holds important implications for both rehab medicine and future Mars missions.

visit this link Published in the journal Nature Medicine , the study followed 14 astronauts and found they all suffered “space anemia” throughout six-month missions to the International Space Station.

Previously, it was believed that space anemia was a temporary condition and that astronauts’ bodies adjusted to it after a few weeks in microgravity.

But the Ottawa-led study discovered the phenomenon is sustained throughout the full duration of an astronaut’s space travel.

Researchers found astronauts were destroying three million red blood cells every second while in space: 54 per cent more than on Earth.

Results were the same for the 11 male and three female astronauts in the study.

“If we can find out exactly what’s causing this anemia, then there is a potential to treat it or prevent it — both for astronauts and for patients here on Earth,” said the study’s lead author, Dr. Guy Trudel, a rehab physician and researcher at The Ottawa Hospital.

NASA says a human mission to Mars would require astronauts to endure the rigours of space travel for two years or more.

Trudel says researchers need to understand how long the human body can maintain the high rate of red blood cell production needed to offset the rapid destruction of those cells in space.

“How long can that hypermetabolism continue? We don’t know that. That’s a knowledge gap,” said Trudel, a University of Ottawa professor.

Space anemia is not a problem when astronauts are weightless, he said, but, as soon as they land on Earth, Mars or the Moon, it can affect their energy, endurance and strength levels.

“The effects of anemia are only felt once you land and must deal with gravity again,” Trudel said.

On Earth, those with clinical anemia lack enough healthy red blood cells to carry a fully supply of oxygen to their tissues.

The condition is often accompanied by weakness and exhaustion.

The space anemia study, financed by the Canadian Space Agency, is part of a larger project examining bone marrow health and blood production in space.

Since the human body has evolved to function under Earth’s gravity, the weightlessness of space flight creates challenges.

When not subject to Earth’s gravity, weight-bearing bones lose up to 1.5 per cent of their mineral density each month.

Astronauts also lose muscle mass faster than on Earth.

What’s more, in the microgravity of space, more blood goes to the head and chest.

Scientists used to believe astronauts compensated for this by destroying red blood cells to reach a new equilibrium.

But Trudel’s research team found the destruction of red blood cells continued unabated in space.

“What we found was a surprise,” Trudel said.

The phenomenon slowed as soon as the astronauts returned to Earth, but researchers found they were still destroying red blood cells at an accelerated rate one year later.

The study had an unusual design.

The 14 astronauts enrolled in the study collected breath and blood samples throughout their time on the space station.

Those samples, stored in metal canisters, were sent back to Earth in a Space X cargo spacecraft and eventually delivered to researchers in Ottawa, where they were analyzed in a modified gas chromatograph capable of detecting carbon monoxide at the parts-per-billion level.

When a red blood cell dies, it releases one molecule of carbon monoxide.

By measuring how many carbon monoxide molecules were in breath samples taken from the astronauts, researchers could discover how many of their red blood cells were being destroyed.

Trudel says he suspects space anemia is caused by the same mechanism that leads to anemia in hospital patients who spend weeks in intensive care beds.

A study conducted last year among 20 men who were on bedrest for 60 days found that they, too, destroyed significantly more red blood cells (23 per cent) than in the two weeks before they became inactive.

Trudel hopes to uncover the mechanism causing space anemia by studying why ICU patients and others immobilized for long periods of time develop anemia.
+6   

best
worst
26 comments

4 months ago '07        #2
yola  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x79 OP
Props total: 113206 113 K  Slaps total: 15468 15 K

+1   

4 months ago '11        #3
SomeOnesoN  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 20969 20 K  Slaps total: 3044 3 K
Ridiculous how people would rather keep trashing this planet and move onto a new one while the last planet you came from destroys itself. Hey, a**hole billionaires! How about trying to find solutions to the planet we're on first? Instead of going to a different planet to destroy.

+3   

4 months ago '14        #4
King Maximus 
Props total: 8031 8 K  Slaps total: 775 775
Omg

Space flights gonna be the cure to cancer
+2   

4 months ago '17        #5
Lazy 
Props total: 33334 33 K  Slaps total: 4393 4 K
Radiation is undefeated
+6   

4 months ago '10        #6
lltreyll 
Props total: 8242 8 K  Slaps total: 2266 2 K
More evidence that we aren't meant for traveling off of earth. What a shocker. Also wouldn't be surprised if that study was like someone sh*t in Elon Musks cereal. Same as anybody else that is delusional enough to believe humans going to Mars is necessary or realistically possible.

If the moon is absolutely out of the question instead, then how the fu*k would Mars be a better option - It's a lot farther away with more hazards than the fu*kin moon...I never understood the infatuation with wanting or believing for whatever reason people should go to mars..
+7   

4 months ago '11        #7
Sin  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x50
Props total: 184043 184 K  Slaps total: 24808 24 K
 yola said

who's walking in space?

+5   

4 months ago '16        #8
foshoVoodoo  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x60
Props total: 135067 135 K  Slaps total: 27493 27 K
flat erf ftw

4 months ago '18        #9
Txheat 
Props total: 39196 39 K  Slaps total: 2869 2 K
 lltreyll said
More evidence that we aren't meant for traveling off of earth. What a shocker. Also wouldn't be surprised if that study was like someone sh*t in Elon Musks cereal. Same as anybody else that is delusional enough to believe humans going to Mars is necessary or realistically possible.

If the moon is absolutely out of the question instead, then how the fu*k would Mars be a better option - It's a lot farther away with more hazards than the fu*kin moon...I never understood the infatuation with wanting or believing for whatever reason people should go to mars..
I must be out of touch with the moon stuff. I heard a podcast the other day where a guy was saying that we don’t have the tech to land on the moon and getting to mars would be even more far fetched.

I thought it was bullsh*t at first but seeing you mention it makes me want to do some research.

4 months ago '06        #10
SKDontPlay 
Props total: 4690 4 K  Slaps total: 315 315
So the rich guys are fu*ked? There’s no escape? We stuck with one another?

+2   

4 months ago '19        #11
HaterVision  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 11581 11 K  Slaps total: 5236 5 K
Land on the Moon first before you talk about Mars.
+7   

4 months ago '15        #12
Prad Bitt 
Props total: 18995 18 K  Slaps total: 1493 1 K
People still believe we went to the moon lol
+2   

4 months ago '16        #13
AgentOrange 
Props total: 13137 13 K  Slaps total: 2757 2 K
There was a study yrs ago that said astronauts die young. I think from heart attacks. something about the average life span of an astronaut is shorter then the average person.
+4   

4 months ago '17        #14
lucifershammer  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 71956 71 K  Slaps total: 6890 6 K
This is why robots will be important
+3   

4 months ago '16        #15
Elijah123  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 2621 2 K  Slaps total: 504 504
Man I have this weird theory that “they” have been traveling the universe and leaving this planet forever.

They lie to us about how far along they are tech wise though. Use our labor to live like complete kings and rulers of this earth and also supply the money needed for them to travel around the universe and meet with other species. I’m certain they give humans off to aliens for something.

Which would literally make this planet their slave planet. And they are the rulers.
I just don’t believe the top 1% that have access to every truth have not already built bases on the dark side of the moon (which so perfectly NEVER moves so we only see one side, which is almost an anomaly in terms of space behavior)

On top of that it controls the actual FLOW/wave of energy on the earth. Wtf

I dont know man it’s jus way too fishy
+1   

4 months ago '07        #16
A-L-P 
Props total: 9590 9 K  Slaps total: 1078 1 K
 lltreyll said

There’s a lot of things we do now that was once considered impossible in the past. Humans are problem solvers, so I wouldn’t be surprised if we found some way around the limitations of space travel. which in turn will most likely lead to some sort of new tech or medical innovation that will benefit us on earth.

A lot of times, the innovations and research from space travel is one of the main benefits of it for humanity. History shows, most major innovation that propels society forward either comes from war or some sort of problem that seemed impossible to figure out at one point.
+3   

4 months ago '07        #17
A-L-P 
Props total: 9590 9 K  Slaps total: 1078 1 K
 Prad Bitt said
Yeah, I just don’t think the footage that we observed was the actual moon landing.

4 months ago '15        #18
RIPrjacks23 
Props total: 24329 24 K  Slaps total: 2755 2 K
I keep trying to tell yall, ain't no space bih.

4 months ago '11        #19
Tony Franks  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 36901 36 K  Slaps total: 5147 5 K
What happened when yall went to the moon?

4 months ago '17        #20
Iceberg HISTORY  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x192
Props total: 120810 120 K  Slaps total: 28103 28 K
 lltreyll said

Look at this crab in a barrel a*s nikka

4 months ago '21        #21
Tehuti  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 17624 17 K  Slaps total: 5424 5 K

+4   

4 months ago '10        #22
Delbert Mengel 
Props total: 9330 9 K  Slaps total: 1445 1 K
 Prad Bitt said
yep, dum dums don't even know about the Van Allen Belt
+1   

4 months ago '06        #23
sunsetnVine 
Props total: 23531 23 K  Slaps total: 2174 2 K
 lltreyll said

This with evidence that life on mars was … destroyed… probably for a reason

4 months ago '05        #24
projectd06 
Props total: 37360 37 K  Slaps total: 8686 8 K
Where's the space ain't real vegan at? He's late.
+2   

4 months ago '17        #25
LostTenets  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x47
Props total: 110454 110 K  Slaps total: 32075 32 K
Interesting

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+25online now  12
Video inside One of J Prince people got smoked playing with Youngboy
124 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+18online now  6
Luka is 23 but he has the body of 33
118 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
online now  5
Video inside Joe Budden Teases Interview With Isaiah Rashad Speaking On His SeCs Tap..
140 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+18online now  5
Eminem - The Eminem Show Expanded Edition Anticipation Thread
78 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy