The Censored 11: “Goldilocks and the Jivin’ Bears” (1944)

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
+55  74
138 replies  @wild'ish

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tv / movies

4 months ago '21        #1
1318 page views
21 comments

brolickid  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x80
Props total: 43705 43 K  Slaps total: 37271 37 K
The Censored 11: “Goldilocks and the Jivin’ Bears” (1944)

Goldilocks and the Jivin’ Bears, a “Merrie Melodies’ episode from 1944, has several distinctions. It is the most recent of the Censored Eleven cartoons from Warner Brothers. The film is also the only film among the eleven to have been produced by Eddie Selzer, who replaced his predecessor Leon Schlesinger earlier that year. The cartoon is also unique in the list for having a wide array of creatures with African American caricature; three humans (Red Riding Hood, Goldilocks, and a messenger), three bears, and a wolf all have big lips and speak in dialect. In other episodes the caricature is either only on people, as in Clean Pastures, or on animals, as in Tin Pan Alley Cats. The mixture in Goldilocks and the Jivin’ Bears is reminiscent of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer’s cartoons pairing an African American boy named Bosko with big-lipped caricatures of jazz musicians as frogs.

By the time of Goldilocks, Warner Brothers had already parodied the old story in Bugs Bunny and the Three Bears, which features a family of bears. Interestingly, the African American bears in Goldilocks are not a family but three male bears of different sizes living in the same house. They leave the house, and a wolf looking for Red sees Goldilocks enter the bears’ house. Just as he catches her in the house, the bears return and mistake the wolf’s entanglement with Goldilocks for jitterbugging. The bears proceed to play jazz, and Goldilocks is compelled to dance with the wolf until he is exhausted. He goes to Red’s grandmother’s house to rest, but the bears find him and resume playing jazz. Red and her grandmother insist of dancing with the wolf–much to the wolf’s frustration.

The cartoon received positive reviews when released late in 1944. It escaped the criticism of African American newspapers and civil rights groups at the time, perhaps because the animals dominate screen time in Goldilocks; other films like Angel Puss and Sunday Go to Meetin’ Time were targeted for their African American human leads. Goldilocks performed well enough to warrant a “Blue Ribbon” reissue in 1951, and it still avoided controversy at that point. But the reissue was at the tail-end of the era of animated African American caricature; within a few months, the maid of MGM’s “Tom and Jerry” series made her final appearance in Push-Button Kitty.

Even with the original release in 1944, the African American jazz cartoon was on its last legs; Walter Lantz’s “Swing Symphonies” ended the following year. Not only had ethnic criticism begun, but jazz itself had expanded beyond African American stars. Jazz in the 1940s had big-name European American entertainers like Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman. Studios still made jazz cartoons for years afterward, and in 1957 Friz Freleng, who directed Goldilocks, directed a cartoon with a rock-and-roll score–Three Little Bops. The post-1944 cartoons, however, traded African Americans for European Americans and animals without ethnic features.

Why was Goldilocks placed in the Censored Eleven in 1968? The big lips of the bears, the wolf, and the messenger provided visual ethnic stereotyping that animators largely avoided by 1968. The tall bear and the messenger have the sleepy eyes and big lips that resemble the demeanor of lazy characters played by actor Stepin Fetchit, whose prime had long passed by 1944 and certainly by 1968. Also, multiple characters speak in ethnic dialect, and even a letter from Red’s grandmother has the written malapropism “rivetater.” With the placement of Goldilocks on the censored list, the wolf’s dancing finally stopped.

visit this link https://cartoonresearch.c .. in-bears-1944/
+14   

best
worst
21 comments

4 months ago '15        #2
princebass1988 
Props total: 1339 1 K  Slaps total: 380 380
Lookin like Andre3k Big Boi and Sleepy Brown lol

4 months ago '04        #3
Cutty Olds 
Props total: 21422 21 K  Slaps total: 1773 1 K
Was just reading about this the other day
+1   

4 months ago '21        #4
brolickid  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x80 OP
 Cutty Olds said
Was just reading about this the other day
lol

4 months ago '04        #5
eazyvaboy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x12
Props total: 48396 48 K  Slaps total: 2111 2 K
Nice post OP

But in b4 resident BX experts come in here and claim that we shouldn't even talk about or acknowledge the past, we should just move forward.

+9   

4 months ago '18        #6
Rugby Jones  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 53361 53 K  Slaps total: 8010 8 K
White people have always been
Completely Obessed
With black people.

They for the love of god, can Never leave us the fu*k alone.

We leave them the fu*k alone & go build our own town far away from them
And start to thrive.

But here comes white people
To burn it & drop bombs on it .
+31   

4 months ago '18        #7
 brolickid said
lol
OP what was the point of this thread tho ?

4 months ago '17        #8
1Oh 
Props total: 39448 39 K  Slaps total: 1769 1 K
 Rugby Jones said
White people have always been
Completely Obessed
With black people.

They for the love of god, can Never leave us the fu*k alone.

We leave them the fu*k alone & go build our own town far away from them
And start to thrive.

But here comes white people
To burn it & drop bombs on it .

Facts. There's been ALOT of effort to lower our self-esteem, stagnate our growth, and to make sure we hate each other.

Its a weird combination of admiration/fear/hate/domination/subjugation/fetishism/obsession thats been going on for generations.

Thats how I know that black people are special. Too much effort made to control us.
+12   

4 months ago '11        #9
Tony Franks  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 36918 36 K  Slaps total: 5150 5 K
 eazyvaboy said
Nice post OP

But in b4 resident BX experts come in here and claim that we shouldn't even talk about or acknowledge the past, we should just move forward.

If you talk about the real America, that means you are pushing Critical Race Theory now, and you gotta be stopped.
+6   

4 months ago '16        #10
FlyinIron 
Props total: 43916 43 K  Slaps total: 3535 3 K

+5   

4 months ago '18        #11
 1Oh said
Facts. There's been ALOT of effort to lower our self-esteem, stagnate our growth, and to make sure we hate each other.

Its a weird combination of admiration/fear/hate/domination/subjugation/fetishism/obsession thats been going on for generations.

Thats how I know that black people are special. Too much effort made to control us.
They don't put that kinda energy into no other race
When you heard of a Chinatown getting bombed

They threw a bomb in a damn sunday school full of kids.
+8   

4 months ago '21        #12
Fatt Kidd 
Props total: 2808 2 K  Slaps total: 465 465
People often ask me why I make offense cartoons/videos but this type of stuff is why. I be on some “keep that same energy” sh*t.

4 months ago '20        #13
Bateman 
Props total: 23961 23 K  Slaps total: 2620 2 K
 1Oh said
Effort?

The plan has been flawlessly executed
+2   

4 months ago '20        #14
rapper10  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x12
Props total: 10312 10 K  Slaps total: 14696 14 K
 eazyvaboy said
Nice post OP

i called out racism in anime. and been vouching for more black anime and black superhero cartoon. and messy marv and his clan of racists f*g**ts reported me and banned me.
+2   

4 months ago '21        #15
nice thread

4 months ago '17        #16
Berr 
Props total: 1420 1 K  Slaps total: 186 186
It is weird. The obsession. I wonder why
+1   

4 months ago '10        #17
Bandito  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 45147 45 K  Slaps total: 6621 6 K
 1Oh said

Rugby Jones said
They don't put that kinda energy into no other race
When you heard of a Chinatown getting bombed

They threw a bomb in a damn sunday school full of kids.
Although I am pretty sure you weren't looking for an answer to your question

If you want something more recent, look at what they are doing to the Asian farmers in Northern California right now.

The US has been sh*tty to all minority groups. When you try and downplay another's oppression, you are playing the game the white supremacists want.

They want all the groups to be divided. Especially now they are losing their majority status and will be half the population in the coming years.

Back to the thread topic.

Here's the cartoon if you haven't seen it.

They banned that one a long time ago.

I remember still seeing this one in the 80's on TV.

4 months ago '11        #18
nomorebull34 
Props total: 3157 3 K  Slaps total: 329 329

+1   

4 months ago '04        #19
miamisports 
Props total: 2178 2 K  Slaps total: 408 408
 Bandito said
Although I am pretty sure you weren't looking for an answer to your question

If you want something more recent, look at what they are doing to the Asian farmers in Northern California right now.

The US has been sh*tty to all minority groups. When you try and downplay another's oppression, you are playing the game the white supremacists want.

They want all the groups to be divided. Especially now they are losing their majority status and will be half the population in the coming years.

Back to the thread topic.

Here's the cartoon if you haven't seen it.

They banned that one a long time ago.

I remember still seeing this one in the 80's on TV.

My G that was informative and all but fu*k that, we were talking about black people.
+1   

4 months ago '17        #20
PackerTrelli3  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x13
Props total: 118545 118 K  Slaps total: 33944 33 K
 Bateman said
Effort?

The plan has been flawlessly executed
Effort as in there’s always a new scheme or tactic.

4 months ago '12        #21
ezduzit 
Props total: 58585 58 K  Slaps total: 5581 5 K
 1Oh said

There’s been a war against black people since before we can remember. You can bet on that
+3   

4 months ago '21        #22
damn

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+51online now  41
May 26 - Shooter’s Mom speaks, Footage entering school, SRO on campus was armed!
159 comments
18 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
online now  26
Video inside 2022 Rolls-Royce Ghost - Brutal Luxury Ship by NOVITEC
16 comments
18 hours ago
@rides
most viewed right now
+54online now  21
Image(s) inside GEM Alert: u can get tiny home from Home Depot for $200 per month and ..
87 comments
18 hours ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+19online now  21
Image(s) inside Jamaican beef patty ever made you speak a new language?
82 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy