Jan 24 - 10 years ago...........megaupload was shut down

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

4 months ago '09        #1
3263 page views
100 comments

messy marv stan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x81
Props total: 266104 266 K  Slaps total: 28615 28 K
Jan 24 - 10 years ago...........megaupload was shut down

visit this link https://torrentfreak.com/ .. upload-220120/

At the end of 2011, Kim Dotcom dropped the “Megaupload Song.”

The track, a blatant promotional piece for the file-sharing site, featured top artists such P Diddy, Will.i.am, Alicia Keys, Snoop Dogg, and Kanye West.

This unprecedented advertisement came as a complete surprise to friends and foes. Not just because of the sheer star power, but also because Kim Dotcom himself wasn’t particluarly public at the time.

Locally, the New-Zealand entrepreneur enjoyed some fame, living the high life in a multi-million dollar mansion. And in gaming circles, he was a legend as well, albeit under his nickname MEGARACER. The public at large, however, hadn’t heard of him. That would soon change.

The Raid

On January 20, 2012, one day before his 38th birthday, police officers stormed his home in a military-style raid. Dozens of police swooped the estate in helicopters, including several members of New Zealand’s elite counter-terrorist force.

Dotcom’s bodyguard Wayne Tempero later recalled that the officers were armed with a*sault rifles and sidearms when they entered the premises just before 7 AM that morning. Tempero was in handcuffs soon after

Megaupload’s founder initially thought that the helicopter he heard could be guests arriving for his birthday party. However, when they knocked down the door, he realized that the situation was more threatening. There were certainly no gifts.

After hearing all the noise, Dotcom fled to a pre-arranged safe room in the house. He stayed in this “red room” reportedly with a shotgun by his side, until police arrived. That took a while, as the officers initially targeted another door, which actually led to a broken service elevator.

“I heard loud banging noises. I was just scared and worried. I thought I’d better wait for them to come to me rather than popping out and scaring someone who might shoot me,” Dotcom later said.

Mega Shock

While the raid was being carried out in New Zealand, law enforcement started to pull the plug on Megaupload as well. Hundreds of servers were taken offline and other Mega properties such as Megavideo disappeared as well.

These actions soon revealed the unprecedented scale at which the site was running. In the space of a day, millions of people were left without their favorite file storage and sharing platform, forced to find a new home.

This instantly boosted the traffic numbers of competitors such as Depositfiles, Uploaded.to, Hotfile, and Rapidshare with many others welcoming hundreds of thousands of extra visitors.

While this traffic was welcome, the criminal charges against Dotcom and his colleagues were seen as a major threat by these former competitors. In response, several sites canceled their payments to uploaders and Filesonic and Fileserve banned third-party downloads completely.

Needless to say, Hollywood saw Megaupload’s shutdown as a massive success. This was corroborated by an MPA-backed study that linked Megaupload’s demise to a boost in digital revenues. However, there’s is also research that suggests that some films were negatively impacted.
+43   

best
worst
100 comments

4 months ago '16        #2
foshoVoodoo  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x60
Props total: 135067 135 K  Slaps total: 27493 27 K
megaupload was goat status
+133   

4 months ago '21        #3
Tehuti  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 17624 17 K  Slaps total: 5424 5 K
10 years ago.. jukebox was lit

+113   

4 months ago '10        #4
justdezit  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 5263 5 K  Slaps total: 566 566
when they dropped the download manager
+48   

4 months ago '11        #5
UziMane  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x11
Props total: 14907 14 K  Slaps total: 2524 2 K
Was my go to on Jukebox for years. Damn how times have changed
+44   

4 months ago '16        #6
foshoVoodoo  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x60
Props total: 135067 135 K  Slaps total: 27493 27 K
 SainT sig said
Was my go to on Jukebox for years. Damn how times have changed
jukebox had my pockets fat as hell.
+31   

4 months ago '20        #7
POWER RAPS  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 39229 39 K  Slaps total: 3038 3 K
I lost so much music that’s hard to find now
+61   

4 months ago '18        #8
S-Class  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 123666 123 K  Slaps total: 13714 13 K
A dark day in pirate history smh
+45   

Top 10 most propped recently  4 months ago '18        #9
DUCEDUCE  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 81815 81 K  Slaps total: 8199 8 K
 POWER RAPS said
So many remixes gone and I never found again
+31   

4 months ago '10        #10
lltreyll 
Props total: 8243 8 K  Slaps total: 2266 2 K
After that Rapidshare shutdown and so did just about every other major file sharing host at the time.

Some people were making decent bank from people downloading their uploads on those same hosts that got shook and shutdown after MegaUpload.

I got into it all too, and actually started one of the first mirror upload distribution sites that would let people securely login to multiple file hosts through my site, so that they could get credit for any downloads to make money and also the ability to have files hosted at over 20+ places with only having to upload once, even remotely. That meant dead download links were rare, it was convenient and ideal for uploaders that could make money, and just as convenient and ideal for people that wanted to download whatever too.

Other than that I had a blog where I posted albums, mixtapes, and a forum with over 3 million downloads and movie streams....I won't say what the sites were, but there were plenty of internet exclusive rips, leaks and all kinds of sh*t was a lot more readily available because of them.

Thing was, after all the major file hosts started shutting down after MegaUpload, all the sopa and pipa sh*t was going on and I was getting a ridiculous amount of dmca notices from record labels, software and movie companies. So I eventually said fu*k it, closed shop and shut all my sites and services down like all the major file hosts did at the time.

So MegaUpload shutting down caused a huge domino effect and pirating hasn't been the same since. It's all fu*ked up now. Yea, people that are aware how can still find what they're looking for usually, but it often involves obscure sites and file hosts that don't last that long.
+48   

4 months ago '08        #11
Eagles All Day 
Props total: 18371 18 K  Slaps total: 6653 6 K
god damn, been ten years thats fu*king wild

getting old Mayne
+35   

4 months ago '04        #12
gimmethat 
Props total: 11918 11 K  Slaps total: 1258 1 K
first they took yousendit,then rapidshare and mega
+46   

4 months ago '04        #13
ruff 
Props total: 16273 16 K  Slaps total: 2651 2 K
That nostalgia hittin nice RN
+24   

4 months ago '21        #14
Puddingpops  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 5290 5 K  Slaps total: 637 637
sh*t hurt me good. I was a loyal paying customer. Mega had my modem burning from all the downloading.
Miss that era
+19   

4 months ago '17        #15
dubsax 
Props total: 60757 60 K  Slaps total: 4997 4 K
 POWER RAPS said

one of the best in hard to find hip hop

I have more

Last edited by dubsax; 01-25-2022 at 02:51 AM..
+31   

4 months ago '15        #16
CALL AGAIN 
Props total: 26670 26 K  Slaps total: 3233 3 K
Media fire was the best dont miss rapid sh*t we got g drive now.
+20   

4 months ago '07        #17
yola  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x79
Props total: 113208 113 K  Slaps total: 15468 15 K
 gimmethat said
first they took yousendit,then rapidshare and mega
i completely forgot about YouSendIt
+7   

4 months ago '04        #18
LordBlanco|M  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 61489 61 K  Slaps total: 4775 4 K
Seems longer than that. But yeah, what wasnt on megaupload... sh*t lol
+7   

4 months ago '07        #19
PowerBar Ernie  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 9301 9 K  Slaps total: 1234 1 K
 dubsax said

one of the best in hard to find hip hop

I have more
I know this one. What about the others sir
+6   

4 months ago '07        #20
Deniro732 
Props total: 17616 17 K  Slaps total: 3060 3 K
 CALL AGAIN said
Media fire was the best dont miss rapid sh*t we got g drive now.
This..mega was one of the goats though.
+8   

4 months ago '14        #21
4FIF 
Props total: 5321 5 K  Slaps total: 367 367
Around 75% of all the music in my collection comes from Rapidshare or Megaupload, legendary era
+15   

4 months ago '17        #22
Chrispy 
Props total: 5517 5 K  Slaps total: 897 897
Hubris
+1   

4 months ago '07        #23
datdude07 
Props total: 3673 3 K  Slaps total: 1144 1 K
Good days fam still have cds burnt from music off these sites, Rapidshare was my go to it was hella quick for my slow a*s computer. Anyways also wanted to say I bet them servers have dat song with Styles P when he said die in the plain like that Aaliyah bi*ch
+6   

4 months ago '11        #24
MACADEMICS 
Props total: 13631 13 K  Slaps total: 1139 1 K
Imagine Kim in this era of crypto. He would have cracked the industry - he claimed he could create a platform for free downloads that would get artists paid.
+8   

4 months ago '20        #25
Catalinawm 
Props total: 4675 4 K  Slaps total: 243 243
damn op you took it back..i was more a rapidshare and mediafire n*gga myself
+6   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  36
Image(s) inside What's up with these n*ggas bringing batty riders back into style.
76 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  19
Reseller Zadeh Kicks Leaves Customers With Millions in Outstanding Orders
60 comments
21 hours ago
@gear
most viewed right now
+44online now  18
Horror film based off Winnie the Pooh in the works; Winnie the Pooh: Blood & H..
117 comments
19 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+22online now  17
May 25 - Officials say gunman was in the school for up to an hour before offic..
597 comments
20 hours ago
@news
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy