Jan 24 - Democrats slim down ambitions after back-to-back failures

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news /page 2

4 months ago '15        #1
732 page views
25 comments

Top Goon  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x206
Props total: 163712 163 K  Slaps total: 20055 20 K
Jan 24 - Democrats slim down ambitions after back-to-back failures

After two strikeouts, don't expect Senate Democrats to immediately swing for the fences again.

There’s little appetite in the Democratic majority to publicly fall short on high-profile priorities so soon after the party’s failures to both weaken the filibuster to pass election reform and to approve President Joe Biden’s $1.7 trillion social spending bill. Instead, many Democrats are itching to get back to voting on bills that have plenty of GOP support, such as a new deal to fund the government or changing antitrust laws.

Sure, Democrats will try to revive their signature domestic spending bill, and they say they will keep f*ghting for election reform. They might even change the Electoral Count Act. None of that, however, is expected to play out on the Senate floor anytime soon.

“My advice to leadership is to find those things where we really have a solid amount of momentum, where you clearly have 10 or more Republicans,” said Sen. Martin Heinrich (D-N.M.), who is working on a bill to protect wildlife that has more than a dozen GOP co-sponsors.

Nonetheless, the party’s more modest approach was on display Thursday afternoon as the Senate headed home for a recess after Sens. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) and Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.) joined Republicans to block a rules change that could have allowed elections legislation to pass by a simple majority. Majority Leader Chuck Schumer set up votes for next month on a large tranche of nominees, which Democrats can confirm easily without GOP support.

Schumer has vowed that Biden’s spending bill will come to the Senate floor at some point and his razor-thin majority will work on it until it passes with Manchin’s approval. The problem is that Democrats are starting from square one with Manchin, who said his previous negotiations with Biden are now void.

“What Build Back Better? I mean, at this point Sen. Manchin needs to sit down and get clarity about what’s got 50 votes,” said Sen. Chris Coons (D-Del.), who is close to Biden. Asked about Sanders’ idea to switch strategies, Coons replied: “Good for him.”

Democrats haven’t coalesced around a specific list of goals moving forward, and Schumer hasn’t indicated what legislation he’ll pursue next. But despite his pursuit of partisan priorities, last year he was able to cut deals with Republicans on infrastructure, competitiveness legislation and a hate crimes bill last year — and he still talks up finding compromise where he can.

Sen. Debbie stabenow (D-Mich.), who serves on Schumer’s leadership team, said “there’s going to be a lot of discussion about where people want to go.”

But with the Feb. 18 government funding deadline looming, several senators said Democrats' focus will turn to appropriations and reaching a sweeping spending deal that could include disaster and pandemic aid. Congress has been operating on stopgap funding patches since Oct. 1, and the upper chamber's two appropriations leaders are retiring.

Senate Appropriations Chair Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) said Thursday that negotiations are “getting much closer to something that both the House and the Senate could agree on.” Still, some Republicans are fine with enacting stopgap spending bills for the rest of the year, which would keep spending levels flat and preserve spending riders from the presidency of Donald Trump. Democrats acknowledged they would need a strong GOP commitment to move forward.

In addition to the funding package, other possibilities include finding a bipartisan path forward on Russia sanctions and getting legislation that addresses competition with China over the finish line. While the China bill passed the Senate last year, it stalled in the House, prompting an agreement between Schumer and Speaker Nancy Pelosi to work out the differences in conference. stabenow said there’s a “lot of interest in the Senate about the House passing” it.

The Senate Judiciary Committee also approved a major antitrust bill Thursday, which could see floor action. And Manchin suggested Thursday he’s focused on updating the Electoral Count Act with Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) after Wednesday’s failed effort to weaken the filibuster. Manchin said they needed to “secure the vote," but senators need a bipartisan proposal first, which is at least weeks away.

Senate Democrats are still holding out hope that Manchin will sign on to a narrower version of the social spending bill that addresses child care, climate change or prescription drug prices. But they acknowledge a deal isn’t exactly imminent and, at this point, Democrats will take what they can pass.

“If we can pass bills at 60, we’ll do that,” said Sen. Brian Schatz (D-Hawaii). “If we can pass bills with 51, we’ll also do that. The question is what has the votes necessary for enactment and that will be a criteria.”

The high-profile setbacks on the social spending bill and elections reform package within the span of a month has prompted complaints, particularly among members of the House, that Democratic leadership over-promised and under-delivered. While Senate Democrats want to pivot to legislation that can actually pass the chamber — bipartisan or not — some say the party needs to switch up its messaging strategy.

“Whether we like it or not, part of politics involves explaining to people the motivations of your opponents,” said Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) “ And we have not done a very effective job of explaining to the American people why Republicans are refusing to work with us on voting rights or“ the social spending bill.
visit this link https://www.politico.com/ .. bitions-527514
+2   

best
worst
25 comments

4 months ago '15        #2
PineappleOG  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 47836 47 K  Slaps total: 9201 9 K
Cus Biden is an impotent lame duck, party has issues
+10   

4 months ago '06        #3
Skateboard T  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 107335 107 K  Slaps total: 22357 22 K
 PineappleOG said
Cus Biden is an impotent lame duck, party has issues
Not a Biden apologist but I can’t see how this falls on him.

This is 100% senate Dems, specifically Manchin and Sinema.

Party needs to embrace progressives, get better at messaging in blue-collar and rural areas particularly on the economic impact progressive policies would have on those areas, and they could actually salvage some momentum.

If they keep with this high-road, centrist bullsh*t they’re doomed though.

4 months ago '17        #4
TheLastNonEarth  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x22
Props total: 126583 126 K  Slaps total: 16452 16 K
Lol @ Democrats. It doesn't even matter.

Nothing will stop BX libs from voting for them again anyway. It's stockholm syndrome.
+3   

4 months ago '15        #5
 Skateboard T said

Party needs to embrace progressives, get better at messaging in blue-collar and rural areas particularly on the economic impact progressive policies would have on those areas, and they could actually salvage some momentum.

Biden is so woefully unpopular they have no pressure to cave to an unpopular president. Bernie said if he was president he woulda went to WV and rallied the people against Manchin, but instead Biden just sits in his fu*king basement all day like a boxden poster. Dude thinks cus he rolled out the vaccine and got us 1400, not even the 2k he promised that his job was done.

Neoliberalism is a failure and Kamala is as unpopular as lame duck biden. Biden can do a lot with the pen, he said he wanted to be FDR, well FDR signed something like 300+ executive orders. Don't get me started, Biden is impotent and this is his fault, him and that cuck Obama who ordered the democrats to get in line behind this dude who can't stay awake more than 3 hours a day.
+5   

4 months ago '21        #6
Fras 
Props total: 8587 8 K  Slaps total: 7883 7 K
Do Democrats do anything but fail?

Nah. They care about the wrong sh*t.
+1   

4 months ago '16        #7
Homer Pimpson 
Props total: 42692 42 K  Slaps total: 9088 9 K
Stop calling these clowns democrats

Change Manchin and Sinema party colors
+6   

4 months ago '16        #8
Boogersugar  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x17
Props total: 98009 98 K  Slaps total: 14185 14 K
 PineappleOG said
Biden is so woefully unpopular they have no pressure to cave to an unpopular president. Bernie said if he was president he woulda went to WV and rallied the people against Manchin, but instead Biden just sits in his fu*king basement all day like a boxden poster. Dude thinks cus he rolled out the vaccine and got us 1400, not even the 2k he promised that his job was done.

Neoliberalism is a failure and Kamala is as unpopular as lame duck biden. Biden can do a lot with the pen, he said he wanted to be FDR, well FDR signed something like 300+ executive orders. Don't get me started, Biden is impotent and this is his fault, him and that cuck Obama who ordered the democrats to get in line behind this dude who can't stay awake more than 3 hours a day.
Bernie wouldn't be a popular president either. If he was capable of that, he would've won the primary. I would rather Bernie because he doesn't mind being unpopular and would probably use EOs more but I don't think he would be more effective, he has little history of being an effective dealmaker in Congress

4 months ago '15        #9
 Boogersugar said
Bernie wouldn't be a popular president either. If he was capable of that, he would've won the primary. I would rather Bernie because he doesn't mind being unpopular and would probably use EOs more but I don't think he would be more effective, he has little history of being an effective dealmaker in Congress
He's known for adding helpful addendums. Considering he like the only independent and been the only independent for decades, both parties don't have as much interest in working with him.

He would do EOs tho, there is some Biden can do, I know he can't fix everything but to pretend he can do nothing is more dishonest imo. Biden has been impotent and noticeably absent from everything, from discussions, from news, dude gonna go down as worse than maga, which is sad cus he had such a low bar, he's a woefully inadequate president in one of our most pressing times of need.
+1   

4 months ago '17        #10
Naga Sadow  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x22
Props total: 222158 222 K  Slaps total: 17615 17 K
 TheLastNonEarth said
Lol @ Democrats. It doesn't even matter.

Nothing will stop BX libs from voting for them again anyway. It's stockholm syndrome.
So you're all for giving everything to the rich while robbing from the common man?

+1   

4 months ago '07        #11
yola  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x79
Props total: 113203 113 K  Slaps total: 15468 15 K
Fall 2020: dems don't care about black people, both parties are the same, we need a new party

all of 2021: <crickets>

32 months until next "rebellion"

4 months ago '14        #12
brotheramir 
Props total: 3627 3 K  Slaps total: 528 528
Manchin and Sinema

But Manchin comes from the SAME state as former KKK leader and popular Democrat Robert Byrd so go figure.
+3   

4 months ago '20        #13
SoufPawEd 
Props total: 2085 2 K  Slaps total: 471 471
 Skateboard T said

I mean no disrespect bro but u sound like a broken record. Democrats are upset because frankly they can’t get their way and throw a tantrum because republicans can’t see eye to eye with them. And to add insult to injury there are even some democrats they can’t see eye to eye with. Nothing will move forward if both sides can’t agree on progressive measures to get us out of this sh*t hole
+2   

4 months ago '06        #14
 PineappleOG said

Nah. Legislation ain’t on him. It’s neoliberal senators’ and big money donors’ fault.

Ain’t sh*t Biden or any pres could have done to switch those votes.

4 months ago '06        #15
 SoufPawEd said
I mean no disrespect bro but u sound like a broken record. Democrats are upset because frankly they can’t get their way and throw a tantrum because republicans can’t see eye to eye with them. And to add insult to injury there are even some democrats they can’t see eye to eye with. Nothing will move forward if both sides can’t agree on progressive measures to get us out of this sh*t hole
I sound like a broken record because what I’m saying is true and bears repeating.

Progressive policies are wildly attractive to voters on both sides of the aisle, people vote with their wallets more often than not, and if you can show them how they can benefit financially from progressive policies, lower-income voters on the right will happily vote for a progressive.

GOP has been better at attacking the ideas and the Dems have done virtually nothing to defend them. Instead of focusing on the important economic tax policies, they go for social issues and identity politics which quit working a long time ago

4 months ago '12        #16
mars15  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x29
Props total: 56228 56 K  Slaps total: 4560 4 K
Every time Dems have power there is always a spoiler. Remember Joe Lieberman? The fact is this is exactly the outcome they want. Remember Biden said nothing will fundamentally change.

4 months ago '16        #17
kuul  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x11
Props total: 125880 125 K  Slaps total: 13761 13 K
Aint no such thing as halfway crooks.

4 months ago '04        #18
Kadroan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x25
Props total: 48661 48 K  Slaps total: 5983 5 K
 PineappleOG said

I don't think he cares. He took care of issues pertaining to him.

Dude talked up a big game with student loans and police reform bill.

Red wave is coming.
+1   

4 months ago '05        #19
JimDinO77  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 42449 42 K  Slaps total: 5537 5 K
its the right choice.... Republicans are going to block everything, and its a few republicans disguised as "Democrats", so that majority talk is voided.... every bill isn't going to get passed, and people will bi*ch about "what about this and what happen to Biden promising that" but they got a find some even ground on sh*t and start making some progress on what can change...

What a waste if Biden's whole 4 years is a bunch of, "but but but the Republicans aren't passing the bills... they have to stop acting like they can force every left leaning policy

4 months ago '21        #20
Tehuti  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 17624 17 K  Slaps total: 5424 5 K

4 months ago '20        #21
POWER RAPS  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 39229 39 K  Slaps total: 3038 3 K
 Boogersugar said
You believe Pete bootygig beat Bernie in a primary?

4 months ago '21        #22
Ghostbison10 
Props total: 683 683  Slaps total: 133 133
Man get both those clowns out of there in 2024, enough is enough. They sold us a dream and they can't deliver.

Then they have their white liberal bots making excuses for them on why they can't deliver on campaign promises. fu*k outta here w that bullsh*t, if they think they'll have the same turnout they had in 2020 them white liberals are in for a rude awakening.

4 months ago '16        #23
 POWER RAPS said
You believe Pete bootygig beat Bernie in a primary?
Pete didn't win the primary either and didn't come close, not sure what your point is.

4 months ago '20        #24
POWER RAPS  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 39229 39 K  Slaps total: 3038 3 K
 Boogersugar said
Pete didn't win the primary either and didn't come close, not sure what your point is.
My bad in one of the caucuses I meant. My point is Bernie got shafted/sh*t is rigged

4 months ago '16        #25
 POWER RAPS said
My bad in one of the caucuses I meant. My point is Bernie got shafted/sh*t is rigged
The demographics of states vary and so do the primary concerns of people in those states. I don't think it is astounding that Pete did well in one state's primary especially since many weaker candidates frontloaded their advertising and GOTV efforts in the early primary states to try and build momentum. Pete didn't finish top 3 overall so that's probably what happened there

As far as sh*t being "rigged" if you've got any evidence I'd love to see it. If your argument is that the media was hard on Bernie and that took the wind out of his sails... why would that change if he ascended to the presidency? Our media is anti-progressive and always will be. If Bernie couldn't overcome it in the primary what makes you think he'd overcome it as president?

Look at who owns WaPo. Who owns the company that owns CNN. None of those people are for progressivism and they never will be. If that is what you mean by "rigged" that's an unfortunate built-in disadvantage that any progressive is going to have to find a way to win out over. That goes for Bernie, AOC, Warren, or any new progressive that comes to the fore. That is not going away anytime soon.

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+149online now  31
When that liquor kicks in
112 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+30online now  19
"judge i actually enjoyed this gunna video (take it to trial)"-atl prosecutor
159 comments