Jay-Z Unable To Reach Settlement In Lawsuit Over “Reasonable Doubt” Images

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
25 replies  @sports

most viewed right now
25 replies  @wild'ish

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section hiphop

Top 10 most propped recently  4 months ago '18        #1
3415 page views
119 comments

Eclectic  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x147
Props total: 178385 178 K  Slaps total: 6922 6 K
Jay-Z Unable To Reach Settlement In Lawsuit Over “Reasonable Doubt” Images

"Jay-Z is heading to trial in his lawsuit against photographer Jonathan Mannion.

According to documents obtained by AllHipHop, Hov and Mannion couldn’t reach a settlement in the case. Jay-Z is suing the famed Hip Hop photographer for selling photos of the Grammy-winning rapper without permission.

“Plaintiff Shawn Carter and Defendants Jonathan Mannion and Jonathan Mannion Photography LLC participated in a mediation before the Honorable Terry Friedman (Ret.) on January 5, 2022,” the court filing reads. “The parties were unable to reach an agreement to resolve this case.”

Since the two sides were unable to come to an agreement, the case will proceed in court. The trial date is scheduled for July 22, 2022.

Jay-Z hired Mannion as a photographer in the ’90s. One of the photos taken by Mannion became the cover for Hov’s debut album Reasonable Doubt.

The lawsuit alleges Mannion’s been profiting off Jay-Z’s likeness by selling prints and t-shirts featuring those old photos. The Roc Nation boss claims Mannion asked for “tens of millions of dollars” to stop using Jay-Z’s likeness.

“Jay-Z never gave Mannion permission to resell any of the images,” Hov argues. “Nor did Jay-Z authorize Mannion to use his name, likeness, identity or persona for any purpose.”

Last August, Mannion moved to dismiss the claims. A judge ruled against the photographer, allowing the lawsuit to proceed.

visit this link https://allhiphop.com/new .. -photographer/
+7   

best
worst
119 comments

4 months ago '07        #2
dollababy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 46910 46 K  Slaps total: 10693 10 K
Why don’t he break bread and keep it moving?
+17   

4 months ago '17        #3
Kingz2 
Props total: 44939 44 K  Slaps total: 4223 4 K
 believeallwomen said
Why don’t he break bread and keep it moving?
Photographer wants too much money I’m guessing it says he wanted tens of millions of dollars
+11   

4 months ago '07        #4
dollababy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 46910 46 K  Slaps total: 10693 10 K
 Kingz2 said
Photographer wants too much money I’m guessing it says he wanted tens of millions of dollars
Damn, Jay must of been his only client.
+3   

4 months ago '04        #5
KidKingGoD 
Props total: 4505 4 K  Slaps total: 810 810
Im a photographer…
Jay-z dead a*s wrong.

Those are the photographers photographs, period.
That’s like the bi*ch who was painted in the Mona Lisa suing the painter.
Bay-z think cause he rich he can bully Jonathan Mannion.
Fukkk that.
He is a photographer he owns his own work and he can resell his work on anything he chooses.
Just cause corporations attempt to have you sign away rights NOW (which is raping artists by the way.)
He wants to say he owns another man’s work.
Not to mention Jonathan Mannion shot Every classic album cover Jay-z ever made.

You goddamn right if u want the rights to images he could feed his Family with for the next few generations you gonna have to drop some M$ you a billionaire. Right?
If Hov wins that case ima be mad as fu*k.
Hov would be worst than jimmy Iovine, Lyle cohen, & any other exec combined if he wins.
All while collecting Basquiat painting sand making Basquiat’s image his new image since he no longer d*ck riding NaS ceases fade with waves look, smh.

My 5 cents.
+55   

4 months ago '04        #6
KidKingGoD 
 believeallwomen said
Nah.

Ja rule, dmx,
Aaliyah, NaS, damn near everyone you can think of has had classic imagery shot of them by Jonathan Mannion he is quite possibly the goat at hiphop photography.

Lil Wayne t.i. 2 any legend you can think of he has shot. And most classic albums were shot by him I’d say 8-10.
Hov ain’t his only client. He is one of like a few thousand.
+13   

4 months ago '17        #7
Kingz2 
Props total: 44939 44 K  Slaps total: 4223 4 K
 believeallwomen said
Doubt it with a person like hov on your resume
+5   

4 months ago '21        #8
RackboyCam 
Props total: 1326 1 K  Slaps total: 224 224
Seems petty on jays part
+8   

4 months ago '15        #9
Brother Bone  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 4642 4 K  Slaps total: 179 179
 believeallwomen said
I know off top he did some of Jay and X first couple album covers.
+2   

4 months ago '11        #10
GrindPOWER$  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x21
Props total: 86451 86 K  Slaps total: 15044 15 K
just let the dude have it JAY-Z you can't win them all he took the pic's he can have some say so
+3   

4 months ago '04        #11
Cutty Olds 
Props total: 21423 21 K  Slaps total: 1773 1 K
 KidKingGoD said
Im a photographer…
Jay-z dead a*s wrong.

Those are the photographers photographs, period.
That’s like the bi*ch who was painted in the Mona Lisa suing the painter.
Bay-z think cause he rich he can bully Jonathan Mannion.
Fukkk that.
He is a photographer he owns his own work and he can resell his work on anything he chooses.
Just cause corporations attempt to have you sign away rights NOW (which is raping artists by the way.)
He wants to say he owns another man’s work.
Not to mention Jonathan Mannion shot Every classic album cover Jay-z ever made.

You goddamn right if u want the rights to images he could feed his Family with for the next few generations you gonna have to drop some M$ you a billionaire. Right?
If Hov wins that case ima be mad as fu*k.
Hov would be worst than jimmy Iovine, Lyle cohen, & any other exec combined if he wins.
All while collecting Basquiat painting sand making Basquiat’s image his new image since he no longer d*ck riding NaS ceases fade with waves look, smh.

My 5 cents.
Lol…you, just like other photographers gotta suck that sh*t up.
You don’t have “work” without subjects and clients and YOUR art is dependent upon it
Jay is a business, and his likeness fetches a price…especially when attached to a product ,so yeah, he got some say so in how you make money off of HIS likeness/business

sh*t sucks but hey, you gotta have some nerve to sell a n*gga sh*t to someone else for you to make bread and cut him out of it…lol, Dame been telling ya’ll how Jay is when it comes to the bread….Dame’s the same way….Jay just treating this sh*t like the original blockchain lol

believeallwomen said
Absolutely not…buddy’s very well known

RackboyCam said
Seems petty on jays part
It’s is because them dudes got real history but, I also understand how deep that rabbit hole can go

Last edited by Cutty Olds; 01-22-2022 at 10:07 PM..
+14   

4 months ago '17        #12
International1 
Props total: 20120 20 K  Slaps total: 1122 1 K
Asking for a portion is like asking for a coffin…..
+8   

4 months ago '07        #13
r.burgundy 
Props total: 32492 32 K  Slaps total: 5235 5 K
 Cutty Olds said
You don’t have “work” without subjects and clients and YOUR art is dependent upon it
Jay is a business, and his likeness fetches a price…especially when attached to a product ,so yeah, he got some say so in how you make money off of HIS likeness/business

sh*t sucks but hey, you gotta have some nerve to sell a n*gga sh*t to someone else for you to make bread and cut him out of it…lol, Dame been telling ya’ll how Jay is when it comes to the bread….Dame’s the same way….Jay just treating this sh*t like the original blockchain lol

That's not how that works at all lol.
When you're a client/customer, you sign a release that lets you know the images belong to the photographer and the photographer has the right to do whatever they want with them.
Jay is the 1 who has to "suck it up" pause
+2   

4 months ago '04        #14
Cutty Olds 
Props total: 21423 21 K  Slaps total: 1773 1 K
 r.burgundy said
When you're a client/customer, you sign a release that lets you know the images belong to the photographer and the photographer has the right to do whatever they want with them.
That’s EXACTLY how it works, you think this is the 1st time this has happened?
You better learn your laws and some art history
+4   

4 months ago '19        #15
Superman777 
Props total: 2367 2 K  Slaps total: 1079 1 K
Jay need to let people eat too . Kanye won’t even trip and he richer . Dude is a billionaire still acting selfish smh . Let others shine not just you! Smh I miss 2 pac and BIG . Nas won!
+1   

4 months ago '05        #16
pippen33 
Props total: 37305 37 K  Slaps total: 2948 2 K
 r.burgundy said
Show us the release Jay signed..

The fact that the judge is allowing the case to proceed tells me that there was no release signed

Show the judge the release and the lawsuit would be dismissed..but hmmmm that didn't happen..Odd huh

Jay-Z never gave Mannion permission to resell any of the images,” Hov argues. Nor did Jay-Z authorize Mannion to use his name, likeness, identity or persona for any purpose.

+11   

4 months ago '04        #17
KidKingGoD 
 Cutty Olds said

It’s is because them dudes got real history but, I also understand how deep that rabbit hole can go
Yawn.

Look here “fan”….
I like other photographer make and create the images.
I don’t need a bay-z to make a living but hey guess what??
I do have Hov in my portfolio….
So what next is Jay-z going to sue ME for having images of Jay-z in my portfolio on my website??

Hov is a business…
Lmao you d*ck riding fakkit.
I shoot for a million different businesses.
You know how many sue me after I work for them? Zero.
Do you know why you c*m guzzling homo?
Because it’s my work!!!!
That’s why you can’t sue me for what I CREATE!!!

That’s like defjam suing Jay-z for performing his songs!!! He don’t own his own fu*king publishing. So that’s like the publishing company sending him a cease and desist for his own sh*t!!!

Using your dumb a*s rheotric.

Jay-z can’t rap with our using the mics Sennheiser and pro tools.
Or without a max to mix it.
So… what if Apple says yo I didn’t give you permission after buying my software and hard ware to record that type of music. Ima sue you!!!
Lmao that’s what “Hov” is doing.

Lastly stfu about photographic law u less you have a book next to you and know wtf you talking about. You eating a billionaires d*ck who will sue you for wearing a Jay-z shirt if it didn’t come from rocnation.

Gtfoh. Hold that L and stop Stan I g a n*gga that is just a fu*king rapper.

“You and every photographer gonna have to hold that”
I have never seen someone so quick to throw away other peoples livelihoods and freedoms this is America!!!
If I photograph Obama that’s my photo not Obama’s he can’t sue me gtfoh, bi*ch.

4 months ago '04        #18
KidKingGoD 
 pippen33 said

The fact that the judge is allowing the case to proceed tells me that there was no release signed

Show the judge the release and the lawsuit would be dismissed..but hmmmm that didn't happen..Odd huh

Jay-Z never gave Mannion permission to resell any of the images,” Hov argues. Nor did Jay-Z authorize Mannion to use his name, likeness, identity or persona for any purpose.

Jay-z doesn’t get a model release form… which is what you are speaking on because Jay-z is a public figure.
Hence Jay-z can have images taken and sold of him a t any time how the fu*k you think paparazzi’s make money?

You think they get a model release form of Kanye and Kim kardashian when they stalk them? No!!!
So you can’t sue a photographer for selling photographs that they have taken period and end of story.
Hov wanna say hey I did t sign a model release form for the 5 albums he shot for him 3 he shot of memph bleek, and four Al ima he shot for beanie Siegel??

Get. The. fu*k. Outta. Here!!!!!!!

If Jay didn’t administer any poerwork saying the images belong to rocafella records guess what? That means the images belong to jonathan Mannion and I. Order to get that type of paper work he would have to pay a fu*k ton of money. Period end of story.

4 months ago '19        #19
jet fuel 
Props total: 3367 3 K  Slaps total: 114 114

+3   

4 months ago '16        #20
mobchip 
Props total: 11122 11 K  Slaps total: 1444 1 K
The photographer would have to ask for permission to sell the images of JAY-Z. Copyright law protects the artist (Photographer) and also those who appeared in the work (Jay Z) to protect their likeness (Jay Z).

So pretty much the photographer is screwing Jay, since they didn’t get a release and would have to approach Jay Z and ask Jay Z to sign a release. Jay Z and the photographer should have been co- partners in the selling of copies of the images.

Last edited by mobchip; 01-22-2022 at 10:53 PM..

4 months ago '05        #21
pippen33 
Props total: 37305 37 K  Slaps total: 2948 2 K
 KidKingGoD said
Jay-z doesn’t get a model release form… which is what you are speaking on because Jay-z is a public figure.
Hence Jay-z can have images taken and sold of him a t any time how the fu*k you think paparazzi’s make money?

You think they get a model release form of Kanye and Kim kardashian when they stalk them? No!!!
So you can’t sue a photographer for selling photographs that they have taken period and end of story.
Hov wanna say hey I did t sign a model release form for the 5 albums he shot for him 3 he shot of memph bleek, and four Al ima he shot for beanie Siegel??

Get. The. fu*k. Outta. Here!!!!!!!

If Jay didn’t administer any poerwork saying the images belong to rocafella records guess what? That means the images belong to jonathan Mannion and I. Order to get that type of paper work he would have to pay a fu*k ton of money. Period end of story.
You are an idiot and you have no idea what you are talking about

Let me help you out lil guy

A top entertainment lawyer says the Photographer is wrong and had no right to use the photos. The photographer broke the law. Unless you are a lawyer and can show us your law degree then I don't want to hear sh*t you have to say

YOU ARE WRONG

+14   

4 months ago '07        #22
r.burgundy 
Props total: 32492 32 K  Slaps total: 5235 5 K
 pippen33 said

How exactly would I have access to anything jayz signed

4 months ago '04        #23
marcchrome  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 37631 37 K  Slaps total: 5603 5 K
Jay being petty...... real talk.

4 months ago '11        #24
bkamagnum 
Props total: 2379 2 K  Slaps total: 433 433
Those photos will be worth a lot of money forever so I see why it's a legal battle now
+2   

4 months ago '10        #25
Bandito  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 45177 45 K  Slaps total: 6626 6 K
 r.burgundy said
Depends on what contracts were written up (if any) back in the day

What your sayings works for them broads out there trying to be models and the photographer is using them to expand their portfolio. See Vanessa Williams and her nud* photos. This situation looks like Jay specifically hired thus guy to do album promotional material. Including the cover.

I don't doubt a lot of contracts back in the day were fugazi. A lot business was conducted with a handshake and the thought of let's go get this money.
+1   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+54online now  9
May 26 - Shooter’s Mom speaks, Footage entering school, SRO on campus was armed!
193 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
+17online now  8
Justin Timberlake sells his music catalog for $100 million
191 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+41online now  6
Image(s) inside Where did you start?
224 comments
2 days ago
@games
most viewed right now
+16online now  5
How does 2 n*ggas from canada create the same concept album at the same time?
107 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy