Do you find your love for Hip Hop remains the same, increases or decreases with age?

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section hiphop

Has your love for Hip Hop and Rap increased, remained the same or decreased with age?
I still love this rap shit 27 24.77%
It's remained the same 14 12.84%
Nah, I'm not feeling it the older I get. 68 62.39%
Voters: 109.   (BX member poll)

4 months ago '17        #1
1403 page views
71 comments

GodBody  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x65
Props total: 68606 68 K  Slaps total: 8651 8 K
Do you find your love for Hip Hop remains the same, increases or decreases with age?

Man I turned 40 this year and honestly with each Birthday I find myself be less and less interested in Hip Hop as a whole.

In my teens Hip Hop and Rap music was my world, you couldn't tell me anything. Mind you I was a teen during the "Golden Age" so I had good reason to love it the way I did.

In my 20's I was really outside in the 2000's, the clubs were incredible and so was the music.

In my 30's my priorities began to shift but I think a side of me really wanted to hold on to it for the sake of nostalgia but now that I'm 40 liking this sh*t just feels like a chore to me.

I don't like the music at all, I've tried to, I swear I have but I just can't do it. I mean if I'm in the gym or in the car I can deal with it but outside of that, the sh*t just sounds like noise to me. Especially all of the new sh*t that comes out.

I really dislike the messaging, the shock value sh*t these artists do is not shocking anymore because they all just seem to be trying to one up each other on who can be the more disrespectful. Women in Hip Hop acting like complete wh*res doesn't even move my d*ck anymore the way that it used to, pause.

The drug taking, the bull sh*t gangster sh*t and above all the endless amounts of beef and violence. It's fu*king exhausting! I feel like the game is just a bunch of little incredible hulks with dreds, who are always angry, beefing and k*lling each other. To the point where I don't feel anything anymore when a rapper gets k*lled because sadly I know another body will drop before the last body has time to cool down in the morgue.

Then there's the old heads, the ones who you expect to grow up but they're still out there twisting up their fingers, throwing up gang signs, trying to out do the young heads when they (in theory) should be teaching them a better way.

I can't make excuses for Hip Hop or the Culture anymore. I'm not writing this so you n*ggas can send me on a Hip Hop treasure hunt where I have to search the internets for "real music". I'm not interested. I am interested in knowing am I the only one who feels this way? Or am in the minority and there are other 40 year olds who love this sh*t the same way they did when they were 20?

@ronnie

Last edited by GodBody; 01-21-2022 at 04:45 AM..
+24   

best
worst
71 comments

4 months ago '07        #2
dollababy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 47024 47 K  Slaps total: 10703 10 K
It’s more a bond with music…
+8   

4 months ago '17        #3
GodBody  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x65 OP
Props total: 68606 68 K  Slaps total: 8651 8 K
 believeallwomen said
It’s more a bond with music…
What do you mean?

4 months ago '04        #4
Aesop730 
Props total: 25275 25 K  Slaps total: 2616 2 K
Love increases as the contemporary scene decreases. Makes me love it even more. Cherish it more. It's not the same as it used to be. Not running to the mall or Sam Goody's or the shop down the street to get the next tape or source but I still love her.
+7   

Top 10 most slapped recently  4 months ago '10        #5
Kid Buu  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 8968 8 K  Slaps total: 619 619
Nah, it hasn't decreased I just strengthen my filter by a lot
i monitor what i allow to get airtime in my home.
+9   

4 months ago '21        #6
SHAMPOOO  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 6426 6 K  Slaps total: 3088 3 K
Stopped checking for new Artists from 2015 and on...Other than the Decades of Classics that I listen to, cRap music in General gives me a Headache...It's Trash, Toxic and Repulsive, Im Good!
+3   

4 months ago '13        #7
THEDONN  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 140508 140 K  Slaps total: 56038 56 K
New sh*t sucks

I will always adore 80s 90s and early 2000s

Not sure how 1 can fall out of love with hip-hop tho

+13   

4 months ago '07        #8
dollababy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 47024 47 K  Slaps total: 10703 10 K
 GodBody said
What do you mean?
Hip hop samples all music bro.
+1   

4 months ago '15        #9
Eternal Outlaw 
Props total: 3015 3 K  Slaps total: 172 172
Decrease I’m 30 and have older brothers that played a lot of the early 90’s “golden era” hip hop during its height and from then til now it’s decreased. Hip hop is marketed to ages 13-25 so it makes sense why I don’t care like I used to.
+1   

4 months ago '20        #10
DezGyz 
Props total: 165 165  Slaps total: 24 24
Will always love hip-hop as an entity/scene/community/culture but lost almost all interest in rap music 15-20 years ago. I still pick up occasional things, but probably only 2% of my music purchasing and most of that is old sh*t.

(Said with zero funkiness towards current rap, it's music for the youth, it's doing what it's supposed to do. The fact that my old a*s doesn't like it means nothing.)

On the other hand, the progression of the graf, DJ and B-Boy scenes over the last 20-30 years is INSANELY dope and has spawned a resurgence of other styles of music that I enjoy more that rap at this point.

4 months ago '04        #11
Real 
Props total: 28591 28 K  Slaps total: 4035 4 K
My understanding and appreciation for music increases with age and that makes sense to me. My little ignorant a*s didn't really fully understand what I was listening to and why while I was growing up. It wasn't until my late 20's/early 30s that I really started listening for me and started to really understand the beauties and possibilities of what music has to offer.

Discovering new sh*t is a blast. And even going back and listening to classics that I grew up with now vs when I was younger, as I grow and mature those albums hit different at different stages in my life.

I don't think I'll ever get tired of this sh*t lol

Last edited by Real; 01-21-2022 at 06:52 AM..
+3   

4 months ago '16        #12
301216baller 
Props total: 31610 31 K  Slaps total: 3550 3 K
Honestly as rap fans we should be thankful...the internet has spoiled us to where our favorite artists can release projects multiple times a year..we consume music at a abnormous rate.. which can be a catch 22 because we're receiving new content but you can tell when an artist bs'd putting a song together

I miss the days where artists had 3 verses on a song..I'm not a fan of the 2 minute songs

Last edited by 301216baller; 01-21-2022 at 07:13 AM..
+1   

4 months ago '10        #13
t from the 617 
Props total: 28875 28 K  Slaps total: 901 901
i still love it. love the old sh*t and love hearing new sh*t.
+3   

4 months ago '20        #14
Carl 
Props total: 15601 15 K  Slaps total: 3453 3 K
I lost interest in Hip Hop with current music since like around ‘19. So much trash coming out with no creativity. The rappers who come up are just trash with no ambition.

I still love Hip Hop 90’s/00’s and 10’s and listen to it. But it decreases a lot as I get older.
+3   

4 months ago '06        #15
Mintz 
Props total: 2106 2 K  Slaps total: 69 69
I honestly find myself searching for the sampled record or instrumental now than the actual song
+4   

4 months ago '19        #16
The Dogefather  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x25
Props total: 45164 45 K  Slaps total: 9776 9 K
My love for hip hop increases. I just despise this gangster sh*t

4 months ago '07        #17
Sincere730  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 81848 81 K  Slaps total: 8341 8 K
remains the same

+2   

4 months ago '20        #18
Its Dark At 9  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x15
Props total: 31968 31 K  Slaps total: 4955 4 K
What kind of f*g**t question is this Do ppl say that about other genres? No, so I'm still riding with this music 4 life There's all types of Rap so lets not be blind here

4 months ago '17        #19
Pythagoras  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 57469 57 K  Slaps total: 12124 12 K
Same for me pleighboi (love it). People whose love for rap wanes are typically old and refuse to give new sh*t a chance simple as that. There's good music out there that's not on the radio. And there's even some mainstream good music. But people want rap to stay in the same box and maintain the same style as when they were younger which is ridiculous. Art evolves. What's changed as I get older is I appreciate other genres more.

Last edited by Pythagoras; 01-21-2022 at 09:05 AM..
+2   

4 months ago '18        #20
S-Class  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 124407 124 K  Slaps total: 13781 13 K
I bump old sh*t and new sh*t

With that said, the lore and bigger than life aspect of rap is dead now. A lot of the n*ggas I thought was super heroes as a kid have turned out to be c**ns, clowns ,bums etc who do anything for some relevance. I don’t care what no kids says , the sh*t now isn’t better than the old sh*t but at the the same im not about to be riding around listening to Blueprint and Carter 2 24-7 either.
+3   

4 months ago '18        #21
MC Gusto  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 17189 17 K  Slaps total: 1967 1 K
Decreasing

hip-hop turning more and more into a minstrel show every year

a 5’2 homos*xual and a cokehead alcoholic stripper are the #1 rappers in 2022
+2   

4 months ago '07        #22
yola  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x79
Props total: 113214 113 K  Slaps total: 15468 15 K
i'm becoming increasingly disconnected with new music

but i love the old sh*t just as much, and in some cases, maybe more than i ever have and i've even starting liking older sh*t i wasn't into at the time

Hip Hop was the first genre i was in on from the ground up and those first 20 years will always have a special place in my heart

someday, i'll be in a retirement home rappin Nuthin But A G Thang, Paul Revere and Hypnotize to the nurses etc
+4   

4 months ago '04        #23
NAKHI ALLAH 
Props total: 55652 55 K  Slaps total: 4052 4 K
Artists like Roc Marci, mach hommy, alc, de la last album still gives me hope for the culture of hip hop but guru, phife, Sean P, DOOM, prodigy, roc raids, odb passing has left a void in the art
+1   

4 months ago '20        #24
Blafy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x9
Props total: 101236 101 K  Slaps total: 7530 7 K
You are getting older, maturing, seeing life differently every year or two. When you see a 40 year old rapper act 25 vs seeing your own pers at 40 being 40 you realize how silly the rapper looks. Especially since in 10 years he will be 50 still possibly doing the same thing.

You and I have become the old man screaming the (insert year) was better than now. I can’t stand todays new music and rappers. On top of that I don’t know who many of them are. One week last year or the year before I tried listening to the new guys and most ain’t talking about nothing. Plus my mind has changed we’re certain lyrics I REALLY EVEN MORE just can’t be okay with. A new rappers dies every week over some BS that they can fly away from any time.

Even the new R&B, depending on who you listening to is horrible. It’s just dudes calling girls bi*ches, fu*k these bi*ches, and take this duck. Every female singer is singing about a break up, men ain’t sh*t, or busting wide open.

[spoiler - click to view]

+5   

4 months ago '05        #25
youngvito18 
Props total: 29958 29 K  Slaps total: 5298 5 K
My love for rnb increases every year, mostly the new rnb wave like snoh alegra, jorja smith, alina baraz, tems, etc

Only time i listen to rap is the gym, sh*t i listen to mire uk rap then american rao these days

I still will give a nas, or a jayz, or those older acts a full listen when they drop though

Nas getting better with age, same with jay
+1   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+41online now  19
Video inside Katt Williams Calls Chris Rock "Head of The C[][]ns"; Says Oscars' Slap..
125 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+88online now  18
Video inside Do not chase women!
160 comments
24 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+17online now  15
Video inside The Ponzi Scheme Collapse in the Shoe Market
60 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
+20online now  7
May 27 - 19 officers playing on their phones while waiting for tactical gear a..
98 comments
1 day ago
@news
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy