OAN panics as DirecTV drops network, asks viewers to find “dirt” on AT&T chairman

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
21 replies  @wild'ish

most viewed right now
23 replies  @sports

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news /page 2

4 months ago '15        #1
452 page views
8 comments

Top Goon  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x206
Props total: 163713 163 K  Slaps total: 20055 20 K
OAN panics as DirecTV drops network, asks viewers to find “dirt” on AT&T chairman

One America News is in panic mode after DirecTV decided to drop the right-wing network from its channel lineup.

OAN host Dan Ball on Monday night urged viewers to dig up "dirt" on AT&T Board Chairman William Kennard, a Democrat who was Federal Communications Commission chairman during the Clinton administration and US Ambassador to the European Union under Obama. (AT&T is DirecTV's majority owner.)

A Daily Beast article said Ball told viewers that OAN "is now at war with AT&T." The Daily Beast article continued:

Airing a graphic that featured AT&T's customer support number and a picture of AT&T chairman William Kennard, Ball noted that Kennard had "connections to the Obamas and Clintons for decades."...

"If you have any dirt on Mr. Kennard, I'd love to see it and put it on this program," the Real America host exclaimed.

"You bring me concrete evidence of whatever it may be: cheating on his taxes, cheating on his wife, saying racial slurs against white people," Ball added, unsubtly referencing the fact that Kennard is Black. "Whatever it may be. Find it for me. Bring it, and we will air it."

He wrapped his plea by saying, "Everybody's got dirty little sins and secrets they're hiding" and that Kennard "deserves to have his exposed" over DirecTV deciding to cut ties with One America News.

"Call AT&T's support line. Complain, raise hell, email, phone call daily, every hour, set the alarm on your phone, blow the phone lines up, demand they keep OAN—this is censorship at its best," Ball also said. He accused Kennard of "doing nothing but a political maneuver by pressuring DirecTV... to take us off the air."

Kennard became AT&T's board chairman in January 2021.

“Don’t let woke executives shut down OAN!”
OAN's website urged viewers to "call DirecTV and AT&T to demand OAN remains on your channel lineup."

"Cancel Culture in News is Unacceptable! Don't let woke executives shut down OAN!... Join the movement and stand up for freedom of the press!" the now-deleted message on OAN's website said.

"On another OAN show on Monday, Trump spokesperson Liz Harrington framed DirecTV’s decision to drop OAN as an extension of a purported communist plot to steal the 2020 presidential election," Media Matters for America wrote.

DirecTV last week confirmed it is dropping OAN after its current contract expires in early April. "We informed [OAN owner] Herring Networks that, following a routine internal review, we do not plan to enter into a new contract when our current agreement expires," DirecTV told news organizations. DirecTV is dropping both OAN and AWE, which is also owned by Herring Networks and stands for "A Wealth of Entertainment."

Media Matters, Free Press, and over a dozen other advocacy groups previously urged AT&T and DirecTV to drop OAN, saying the right-wing network "is a major supporter of the Stop the Steal movement and is currently being sued by Dominion for spreading election fraud lies that claimed the 2020 election was stolen from Donald Trump." The groups' letter also said that OAN "stok[ed] violent calls for the attack on the US Capitol" and airs "wall-to-wall COVID-19 disinformation."

AT&T "cannot speak to promoting values of equality and justice while also funding a channel spreading conspiracy theories and applauding insurrection... We call on DirecTV to stop carrying OANN and for AT&T to do everything in its power to denounce and remove OANN from its lucrative platform," the letter said.

OAN's website says it is still carried by Verizon FiOS, CenturyLink, and smaller providers.

ARS VIDEO
Blade Runner Game Director Louis Castle: Extended Interview

Trump and GOP lawmakers express outrage
Former President Trump and some Republican lawmakers blasted DirecTV. "Maybe what we should do is not use AT&T," Trump said at a rally Saturday, according to the Times of San Diego. "All I can tell you is the people that are telling the truth in America like One America News are being threatened," Trump also said. "I love One America News... I watch it all the time."

"@DIRECTV is cancelling @OANN so I just cancelled my home Direct TV. Why give money to people who hate us?" Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) tweeted.

"Pretty convenient that this comes within a week after Biden begged companies to silence 'misinformation', meaning his opposition. I stand with @OANN!" Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-Colo.) tweeted.

DirecTV money is crucial to OAN
AT&T's 2015 purchase of DirecTV for $49 billion ($67 billion including debt) was a resounding failure, and AT&T completed a spinoff of the company in August 2021. AT&T still owns 70 percent of DirecTV, but the service now functions more independently of its parent company. The DirecTV subsidiary owns and operates the DirecTV satellite service, the AT&T TV online service, and U-verse video.

In 2019, OAN founder and chief executive Robert Herring Sr. testified in a labor lawsuit that he created OAN in 2013 in part because AT&T executives "told us they wanted a conservative network," according to a Reuters article. Reuters also wrote that an OAN accountant testified under oath that without the DirecTV deal, OAN's value "would be zero."

Herring Networks claimed in a different 2016 lawsuit that AT&T promised to carry OAN on DirecTV in exchange for OAN's public support of the AT&T/DirecTV merger, which required government approval. OAN's lawsuit claimed that AT&T reneged on the pre-merger deal after the merger was finalized. OAN finally got on DirecTV in 2017, weeks after agreeing to drop its lawsuit against AT&T.

AT&T denied the alleged quid pro quo, telling Ars in October 2021 that "support for the merger was never a condition of or part of any content agreement" and that "the decision of whether to renew the carriage agreement [with OAN] upon its expiration will be up to DirecTV, which is now a separate company outside of AT&T."
visit this link https://arstechnica.com/t .. -att-chairman/

best
worst
8 comments

4 months ago '17        #2
Ymmot  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 105680 105 K  Slaps total: 34627 34 K
What a joke of a channel. I bet most their viewers don't realize they're a tabloid source.
+6   

4 months ago '16        #3
Fastrap87  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 11646 11 K  Slaps total: 5710 5 K
 Ymmot said
What a joke of a channel. I bet most their viewers don't realize they're a tabloid source.

this is fun...

4 months ago '17        #4
Naga Sadow  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x22
Props total: 223206 223 K  Slaps total: 17749 17 K
 Fastrap87 said

this is fun...
Sorry, I can't hear you over yourself being banned. Can you repeat that again please?

+7   

4 months ago '04        #5
gh3tto 
Props total: 53999 53 K  Slaps total: 14482 14 K
 Naga Sadow said
Sorry, I can't hear you over yourself being banned. Can you repeat that again please?

that lying bi*ch will be back in here on his alts

+1   

4 months ago '21        #6
blackreign 
Props total: 1256 1 K  Slaps total: 195 195
Sounds like white people having a temper tantrum again
+3   

4 months ago '17        #7
Naga Sadow  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x22
Props total: 223206 223 K  Slaps total: 17749 17 K
 blackreign said
Sounds like white people having a temper tantrum again
As always.
+3   

4 months ago '07        #8
yola  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x79
Props total: 113209 113 K  Slaps total: 15468 15 K
wait, i thought the whole conservative paradigm was to make something better instead of complain?

is there anything in republican culture that holds up under scrutiny and pressure?
+3   

4 months ago '17        #9
Jake Too 
Props total: 50 50  Slaps total: 11 11
Yea so they're against cancel culture yet they're trying to cancel AT&T Board Chairman William Kennard.

Makes sense.
+1   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+54online now  15
May 26 - Shooter’s Mom speaks, Footage entering school, SRO on campus was armed!
190 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
+47online now  9
African rapper gets terrible 50 cent tattoo
145 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+41online now  9
Image(s) inside Where did you start?