Jan 19 - Nearly half of Americans gained weight in pandemic's first year

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT
most viewed right now
+34  111
113 replies  @wild'ish

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

4 months ago '17        #1
959 page views
47 comments

Ifeellikekobe  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 82705 82 K  Slaps total: 6942 6 K
Jan 19 - Nearly half of Americans gained weight in pandemic's first year

Nearly half of U.S. adults piled on excess pounds during the first year of the pandemic, making a national obesity crisis even worse, a new study shows.

"Obesity was an epidemic before the pandemic, and little was known on body weight changes in the past year for adult Americans," said lead researcher Jagdish Khubchandani, a public health professor at New Mexico State University. "We wanted to estimate weight changes in the U.S. population and its determinants after the first year of the pandemic."

To do that, Khubchandani and his colleagues surveyed more than 3,400 adults and found that 48% said they gained weight during the first 12 months of the pandemic—March 2020 to April 2021.

Those who reported*weight gain*were more likely to be male, white or Hispanic, married, aged 45 or older, have a full-time*job, have less than a college education, and to live in southern and western states or rural areas.

The researchers also found that people were more likely to have gained weight if they were overweight before the pandemic (just over two times more likely), had children at home (1.39 times), had depression or anxiety (1.25 times), or checked body weight within the last six months (1.32 times).

The study was published in the January issue of the journal*Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome: Clinical Research and Reviews.

The finding that*weight*gain was more likely among certain groups already vulnerable to poorer health outcomes is concerning, Khubchandani said.

The pandemic may widen existing health disparities and increase the chronic disease burden for some groups, he explained.

"It's a perfect health storm," Khubchandani said in a university news release. "The U.S. consists of an*adult population*where the majority suffer from a chronic disease, are either overweight or obese, do not meet the physical activity guidelines, or have unhealthy eating patterns with lower consumption of fruits and vegetables."

A previous New Mexico State University study found that the pandemic fueled stress-related unhealthy eating habits in Americans.

"Our study relates to a lot of national trends indicating high stress in some groups such as parents, essential workers, and those with limited incomes and lower education," Khubchandani said. "Even before the*pandemic, stress was a major determinant of unhealthy lifestyles in adult Americans, and the problem continues to worsen for certain groups."

visit this link https://medicalxpress.com .. emic-year.html

Alot of smoked brisket during pandemic.
+3   

best
worst
47 comments

4 months ago '07        #2
yola  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x79
Props total: 113158 113 K  Slaps total: 15428 15 K
proof that without a racist economy, Americans don't know what to do, except eat and sit around

4 months ago '21        #3
Tehuti  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 17624 17 K  Slaps total: 5424 5 K

+16   

4 months ago '22        #4
BReNDon 
Props total: 7497 7 K  Slaps total: 1507 1 K
Stop blaming COVID they were already on their way to getting fat b4 being locked indoors
+2   

4 months ago '17        #5
Ifeellikekobe  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7 OP
Props total: 82705 82 K  Slaps total: 6942 6 K
Yall so miserable on this site. I been eating so good during this pandemic.
+5   

4 months ago '10        #6
stizz44  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 6273 6 K  Slaps total: 1126 1 K
Yeah, gained a total 24lbs.

Dropped 5 lbs last month, but sh*t is hard getting back in routine.
+5   

4 months ago '16        #7
00010111  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 53972 53 K  Slaps total: 5403 5 K
 yola said
proof that without a racist economy, Americans don't know what to do, except eat and sit around
"Educational" system, media and the design of American towns and cities makes that inevitable.
+4   

4 months ago '07        #8
yola  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x79
Props total: 113158 113 K  Slaps total: 15428 15 K
 00010111 said
"Educational" system, media and the design of American towns and cities makes that inevitable.
not for me
+2   

4 months ago '16        #9
00010111  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 53972 53 K  Slaps total: 5403 5 K
 yola said
not for me
For a minority, sure but most Americans are overweight.
+1   

4 months ago '04        #10
franchise  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 14246 14 K  Slaps total: 1331 1 K

+1   

4 months ago '07        #11
Mr. Moses 
Props total: 2663 2 K  Slaps total: 396 396
I'm not gonna lie I was down bad when they shut down the gym and put on about 25 lbs. Dropped about 20 of them last year tho
+6   

4 months ago '05        #12
fatrenzo 
Props total: 7105 7 K  Slaps total: 380 380
Happy to know I went the other way.
+7   

4 months ago '11        #13
Gamemusic 
Props total: 12407 12 K  Slaps total: 984 984
Gyms were closed down, alot of people did not come outside and unless they had to, and most people don't have exercise equipment at home. It makes sense.
+6   

4 months ago '06        #14
bigkilla  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 43104 43 K  Slaps total: 5750 5 K
Yea no sh*t when you're telling people if they step outside they're going to die and k*ll everyone around them.

I actually got healthier during the pandemic because I started cooking more at home v.s eating out for lunch when I had to go to the office.

I wonder the rise on addictions to alcohol and drugs. That sh*t had to have skyrocketed. No job, not allowed outside, checks keep coming though.. and if you're in a house with people you don't get along with like that.. sh*t is brewing for a mess.
+7   

4 months ago '05        #15
pippen33 
Props total: 36462 36 K  Slaps total: 2885 2 K
 Gamemusic said
Gyms were closed down, alot of people did not come outside and unless they had to, and most people don't have exercise equipment at home. It makes sense.
Nah. Realistically though most people were already fat and had unhealthy eating habits before the pandemic.

There's so many exercise videos online that people can follow along to while at home and their FREE.

You don't have to go the gym and train like an Olympian to stay in shape.

Eat Healthy and move around a bit and you wont gain a lot of weight. A lot of people simply lack the discipline and dedication.
+2   

4 months ago '06        #16
bxdiplomat  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 23900 23 K  Slaps total: 2583 2 K
Yeah, it's been hella big linebacker blocking doors with their fat a*s backs.

4 months ago '19        #17
DadeCounty  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x16
Props total: 65672 65 K  Slaps total: 5970 5 K
 Tehuti said

+4   

4 months ago '04        #18
Chronos  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 27836 27 K  Slaps total: 776 776
Gyms were closed so I built one in my apartment. Got an adjustable bench press with a squat rack, adjustable dumbbells, kettlebell, jump ropes and resistance bands. Between that an running at this outdoor sports track up the road never missed a beat, if anything I’m mad I didn’t do this sooner.
+1   

4 months ago '17        #19
PackerTrelli3  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x13
Props total: 118500 118 K  Slaps total: 33880 33 K
It makes sense… common sense

Everyone getting $$$$ to eat and just sit around. All those calories and not using the energy? Weight gain. Gyms being closed and people using that as an excuse to just sit at home? That brings laziness…. When ur lazy u don’t wanna eat healthy, so u buy all these fast foods….. 1,000 calories for 3 slices of pizza or a Big Mac meal??? Weight gain!!
+1   

4 months ago '21        #20
Tehuti  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 17624 17 K  Slaps total: 5424 5 K
@

+3   

4 months ago '11        #21
Ant O 
Props total: 30611 30 K  Slaps total: 2679 2 K
Ironically, during the pandemic (especially the shutdown) I could still work and gave up beer and fast food. I still grab some wendys or bk here and there, but nothing like I was. I was eating out 4 times a week and now I'm only eating out 2 or 3 times a month.

Went from 280 to 257.

Time to hit these weights again and get my pull up game right
+5   

4 months ago '16        #22
kamal1978 
Props total: 7200 7 K  Slaps total: 2963 2 K
I lost 44 lbs
+6   

4 months ago '14        #23
Sphynx 
Props total: 111592 111 K  Slaps total: 28503 28 K
First place I stopped going when the pandemic hit was the gym. I remember being in there the day after the world went crazy. Then I was like "What the fu*k am I doing here. These weirdo fu*ks already barely wipe down the equipment when they done"

I bounced and ain't been back since. Lost all my gains from being in the gym 4 days a week between 2017-2020. Now I'm just a regular body civilian again.

Gained about 20lbs that first year inside. Wasn't buying resale market dumbbells from d*ckheads charging 5x the price. Now I'm back to my regular weight, from getting my diet back on point, running, and home bodyweight exercises.
+1   

4 months ago '17        #24
cabeast93 
Props total: 5963 5 K  Slaps total: 1053 1 K
The 1st 3 month I was eating everything in sight hotdogs and cinnamon rolls. Then I start eating better after watching a lot those health documentaries and then I decided to make the change.Now I’m I vegetarian and cutting out more conditioned habits here and there. COVID was low key an excellent thing for me. No deaths in the fam and I received a lot of time to sit around and do nuthin and focused on improving my live.
+2   

4 months ago '15        #25
TheCompanyMan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 19892 19 K  Slaps total: 1744 1 K
Lost 25 pounds since July. Sitting at 209, just about back down to my college weight.

That COVID20 ain’t no joke.
+2   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  16
Image(s) inside May 19 - Buffalo Shooter’s Family Blames Covid For Shooting
72 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
+68online now  14
Image(s) inside Ron Perlman robbed of his fortune by bitter ex wife
140 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
online now  10
Weed Plate Albums
226 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+18online now  5
Video inside Flakko from No Jumper, says Young Thug deserves RICO case for ruining b..
112 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy