Activision/Blizzard Misconduct prompted M$ acquisition; almost sold to Meta

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT
most viewed right now
+31  98
105 replies  @wild'ish

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section games

4 months ago '18        #1
566 page views
14 comments

Lord God  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x15
Props total: 74237 74 K  Slaps total: 6163 6 K
Activision/Blizzard Misconduct prompted M$ acquisition; almost sold to Meta

Microsoft‘s acquisition of Activision Blizzard apparently came about due to the misconduct allegations against the latter.

A new report from Bloomberg has detailed some of the behind the scenes actions that are said to have taken place regarding the Activision Blizzard acquisition. According to the report, when the news broke of misconduct allegations at Activision Blizzard from The Wall Street Journal, Microsoft Corp. senior executives suggested Xbox head Phil Spencer should go into talks with Activision CEO Bobby Kotick.

Spencer and Microsoft had two goals. The first was apparently to offer support to Activision Blizzard, and to make it clear that Microsoft was concerned about the allegations against the company. At the time of the allegations, now former Blizzard president J. Allen Brack sent an email to staff addressing the situation, saying “The allegations and the hurt of current and former employees are extremely troubling…”

While I can’t comment on the specifics of the case as it’s an open investigation, what I can say is that the behaviour detailed in the allegations is completely unacceptable.”

Activision Blizzard executive Fran Townsend responded differently, denying the allegations in an email to staff saying “A recently filed lawsuit presented a distorted and untrue picture of our company, including factually incorrect, old, and out of context stories – some from more than a decade ago.”

Microsoft’s second supposed goal was to guarantee that they would be in a position to acquire Activision Blizzard, should the company be interested in selling.

The month following The WSJ report, Activision Blizzard stock dropped by about 15%, but Kotick and the board weren’t immediately sold on being acquired by Microsoft, according to sources that spoke with Bloomberg. Activision apparently looked for other interested parties, including Facebook parent company Meta, and at least one other large company.

Microsoft apparently backed off when it became clear Activision weren’t entirely convinced, but obviously conversations continued at a later date. A majority of the merger talks took place between Spencer and Kotick, though Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella was involved where necessary.

Nadella had apparently been looking for a large-scale acquisition since the summer of 2020 that would provide Microsoft with an established group of consumers. With Activision Blizzard also owning mobile developer King, the acquisition became a perfect fit for Microsoft.

Microsoft’s acquisition of Activision was announced January 18, the latest story that puts Activision Blizzard in the spotlight. It’s currently unclear if Kotick is staying on as CEO, and he has declined to comment on the matter.

Looks like this was Nadella's wish... goes to show just how much faith Microsoft has in building Gamepass.
+5   

best
worst
14 comments

4 months ago '17        #2
SPdaGOAT  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 103939 103 K  Slaps total: 38618 38 K
Duh lmfao.

I think it’s funny Phil was sh*tting on Activision a couple weeks ago just for them to get signed and Nadella to sing Kotick’s praises lmfao. I don’t want to talk about that tho, we celebrating

4 months ago '18        #3
Lord God  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x15 OP
Props total: 74237 74 K  Slaps total: 6163 6 K
Thank God they didn't sell to Zuckerfu*k.
+16   

Top 10 most slapped recently  4 months ago '20        #4
5ive04our  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x196
Props total: 104905 104 K  Slaps total: 21390 21 K
Gaming world should happy about this acquisition honestly Activision would have stayed dog shxt under Facebook.

Ain’t Javi told me Phil wasn’t a key part in M$ talks.. Uncle Phil be in the rooms lil n*gga

#inphilwetrust
+6   

4 months ago '17        #5
 5ive04our said
Gaming world should happy about this acquisition honestly Activision would have stayed dog shxt under Facebook.

Ain’t Javi told me Phil wasn’t a key part in M$ talks.. Uncle Phil be in the rooms lil n*gga

#inphilwetrust
Phil was dissing the CEO of Activision a few weeks ago and the real boss at Microsoft is praising him

Top 10 most slapped recently  4 months ago '20        #6
5ive04our  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x196
Props total: 104905 104 K  Slaps total: 21390 21 K
 SPdaGOAT said
Phil was dissing the CEO of Activision a few weeks ago and the real boss at Microsoft is praising him

4 months ago '04        #7
Liquid-Science  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 7532 7 K  Slaps total: 1343 1 K
Sony and Nintendo fans should be thankful that Microsoft entered console gaming 20 years ago shown they're serious about console gaming and has the money to fend off Google, Tencent, Amazon and Facebook

Google and Amazon give up on sh*t halfway all the time...They coulda easily bought some of these companies, not know what to do with them and gave up on them quick

Tencent is a giant Chinese company probably all intertwined with the Chinese government

Facebook wouldn't know what to do with Activision
+6   

4 months ago '17        #8
 Liquid-Science said
Sony and Nintendo fans should be thankful that Microsoft entered console gaming 20 years ago shown they're serious about console gaming and has the money to fend off Google, Tencent, Amazon and Facebook

Google and Amazon give up on sh*t halfway all the time...They coulda easily bought some of these companies, not know what to do with them and gave up on them quick

Tencent is a giant Chinese company probably all intertwined with the Chinese government

Facebook wouldn't know what to do with Activision
Sony and Nintendo fans probably not worried about what lackluster gaming companies are doing tbh.

I hope y’all get EA and Ubisoft next to keep that mid off them platforms. That’s the only thing we thankful for

4 months ago '17        #9
You n*ggas deadass begging for validation lmfao. When will gamepass be enough satisfaction?

4 months ago '05        #10
jaedot 
Props total: 20238 20 K  Slaps total: 1112 1 K

4 months ago '10        #11
KJHARDY 
Props total: 32284 32 K  Slaps total: 4275 4 K
I forgot that happened and was confused when I saw they make over 9 Billion a year.

4 months ago '04        #12
Liquid-Science  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 7532 7 K  Slaps total: 1343 1 K
Yesterday I was joking about how Microsoft leaked all that sh*t about Bobby Kotick's misconduct so they could buy Activision

Someone on twitter pointed out how Mike Ybarra and Rod Ferguson, a long time MS employee went over to Activision late 2020 and said it was a sign that MS was about to buy Activision...This sh*t coulda really been a set up...Like when Avon planted the drugs on that CO and then told on his a*s so he could get outta prison

+4   

4 months ago '19        #13
SlimKenobi 
Props total: 6575 6 K  Slaps total: 897 897
 SPdaGOAT said
You n*ggas deadass begging for validation lmfao. When will gamepass be enough satisfaction?
It already is. Everything else is just extra
+2   

4 months ago '17        #14
 SlimKenobi said
It already is. Everything else is just extra
So why y’all still be here all day everyday trying to convince people that don’t want gamepass to get it?

I’m a satisfied customer myself and I feel like y’all be tryna convince me

4 months ago '14        #15
NewLegends  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 19179 19 K  Slaps total: 2616 2 K
It’s very possible that this acquisition k*lls the Stadia.

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  11
Image(s) inside May 19 - Buffalo Shooter’s Family Blames Covid For Shooting
71 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
online now  8
May 19 - Canada reports 17 suspected cases of Monkeypox predominantly in gay men
183 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
+66online now  7
Image(s) inside Ron Perlman robbed of his fortune by bitter ex wife
138 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+18online now  6
Video inside Flakko from No Jumper, says Young Thug deserves RICO case for ruining b..
111 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy