What would have Sony done if they acquired Activision first?

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section games

4 months ago '20        #1
1355 page views
71 comments

5ive04our  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x196
Props total: 105136 105 K  Slaps total: 21461 21 K
What would have Sony done if they acquired Activision first?

+1   

best
worst
71 comments

4 months ago '18        #2
Lord God  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x15
Props total: 74278 74 K  Slaps total: 6169 6 K
made it exclusive, and made it the staple of their version of gamepass.

with a VR2 storymode or something.
+4   

4 months ago '04        #3
Liquid-Science  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 7593 7 K  Slaps total: 1345 1 K
It woulda been celebrations through all of twitter and gaming websites about how Sony is smart and doing a service for gaming everywhere
+15   

4 months ago '17        #4
SPdaGOAT  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 103976 103 K  Slaps total: 38622 38 K
sh*t woulda been a super corny move on Sony’s behalf imo. I would have looked at it as them playing defense.

Sony don’t need Activision, they need to step up.
+4   

4 months ago '20        #5
5ive04our  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x196 OP
 SPdaGOAT said
sh*t woulda been a super corny move on Sony’s behalf imo. I would have looked at it as them playing defense.

Sony don’t need Activision, they need to step up.
+7   

4 months ago '20        #6
Iron Stan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 11744 11 K  Slaps total: 2131 2 K
Sony hasn’t and doesn’t need activision lol they’ve been front running for years as far the console landscape.All they need is their competitor to GP to drop with legacy titles from PS1 to PS4 and that field will be leveled automatically

Seeing as nothing is gonna come from the MS/ATVI deal for I’m a*suming 2/3 years after the acquisition them n*ggas at Sony shouldn’t be sweating anything really.Nobody who doesn’t already have an Xbox/PS5/Switch isn’t going to go out and get one just because of this.No one wants an Xbox at this day and time
+1   

4 months ago '17        #7
 5ive04our said
Y’all really mad we don’t care about this move and are even happy for Microsoft lmfao
+1   

4 months ago '17        #8
 Iron Stan said
Sony hasn’t and doesn’t need activision lol they’ve been front running for years as far the console landscape.All they need is their competitor to GP to drop with legacy titles from PS1 to PS4 and that field will be leveled automatically

Seeing as nothing is gonna come from the MS/ATVI deal for I’m a*suming 2/3 years after the acquisition them n*ggas at Sony shouldn’t be sweating anything really.Nobody who doesn’t already have an Xbox/PS5/Switch isn’t going to go out and get one just because of this.No one wants an Xbox at this day and time
Theres no need to get an Xbox, gamepass k*lled that reality from ever happening again.

I’m interested in seeing if COD and Activision can continue to generate the same kind of revenue. I think they will and even surpass it, but how?

4 months ago '21        #9
JayMurdoch  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 21263 21 K  Slaps total: 3467 3 K
Microsoft paid 70 BILLION. It's going to be a long while before they recoup on that investment.

4 months ago '05        #10
Ghettoquiz 
Props total: 3575 3 K  Slaps total: 542 542
 JayMurdoch said
Microsoft paid 70 BILLION. It's going to be a long while before they recoup on that investment.
between the MMO's and candy crush it wont be that long at all
+5   

4 months ago '21        #11
 Ghettoquiz said
between the MMO's and candy crush it wont be that long at all
According to this

A/B averaged around 5 Billion/year of profit from 2017-2020. At that rate, Microsoft can begin to see profits in around 14 years.

Pretty long time to me, a lot can happen in 14 years.

4 months ago '17        #12
 JayMurdoch said
According to this

A/B averaged around 5 Billion/year of profit from 2017-2020. At that rate, Microsoft can begin to see profits in around 14 years.

We gotta see if they continue generating those profits too. These acquisitions can fu*k a lot of sh*t up as history has shown.

I think MS will be ok tho, but theyre gonna find ways to get more money from their customers
+4   

4 months ago '21        #13
 SPdaGOAT said
We gotta see if they continue generating those profits too. These acquisitions can fu*k a lot of sh*t up as history has shown.

I think MS will be ok tho, but theyre gonna find ways to get more money from their customers
Exactly. Microsoft doesn't have a history of buying studios and putting out grade A material. We still haven't seen any of the fruits from their last acquisition. If that trend continues, it could be a while before xbox has quality exclusives that aren't COD. They can't expect candy crush to quickly generate 70 Billion in profit.

Their strategy isn't bad though, at some point i might be tempted to buy an xbox. It's just going to be a long time before it fully pays off. It might not even be in this console generation.

Last edited by JayMurdoch; 01-19-2022 at 09:49 AM..
+2   

4 months ago '21        #14
LegitBaller  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 2534 2 K  Slaps total: 206 206
they would have locked down everything. The funny thing is sony has an actual monopoly but yet this passed. Microsoft has not near a monopoly and this will pass with ease.
+4   

4 months ago '04        #15
 JayMurdoch said
They got this money from the Mothership part of Microsoft and not just xbox...They had 130 billion in cash just sitting there and used 68 of it to buy Activision

Microsoft Mothership is gonna make that money back in a couple of years regardless of what they do with Activision Blizzard.. they made 44 billion in profit in 2020
+3   

4 months ago '12        #16
OldBusiness  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 202241 202 K  Slaps total: 11724 11 K
Was just reading the report by Bloomberg that Microsoft snatched the deal from under Facebook, who was close to closing it.

For comedic purposes the Facebook acquisition going through would have been hilarious
+6   

4 months ago '21        #17
 Liquid-Science said
They got this money from the Mothership part of Microsoft and not just xbox...They had 130 billion in cash just sitting there and used 68 of it to buy Activision

Microsoft Mothership is gonna make that money back in a couple of years regardless of what they do with Activision Blizzard.. they made 44 billion in profit in 2020
Microsoft will be fine even if xbox fails. They can keep throwing money but that won't automatically make it good. There's no evidence the acquisition will increase the quality of xbox games. xbox could shift to mobile only games and make more profit than they are now and cancel console gaming altogether. Microsoft being profitable doesn't = quality games.

4 months ago '17        #18
 OldBusiness said
Was just reading the report by Bloomberg that Microsoft snatched the deal from under Facebook, who was close to closing it.

For comedic purposes the Facebook acquisition going through would have been hilarious
This actually really interesting cause I know they wanted it for the Meta bullsh*t.

I wonder if this was a case of FB getting outbid or moreso that Activision wasn’t with bucking the traditional gaming sh*t for VR

4 months ago '04        #19
 JayMurdoch said
Microsoft will be fine even if xbox fails. They can keep throwing money but that won't automatically make it good. There's no evidence the acquisition will increase the quality of xbox games. xbox could shift to mobile only games and make more profit than they are now and cancel console gaming altogether. Microsoft being profitable doesn't = quality games.
LMFAO

now you change to the old ' no quality games' narrative after accepting that financially it's ok

Well...Let's see what Microsoft Studios have been up to lately on metacritic

Forza Horizon 5 - 92
Microsoft Flight Sim - 90
Psychonauts 2 - 87
deathloop - 88
Halo Infinite -87

Microsoft has smashed every single narrative used against them in the last year
+8   

4 months ago '12        #20
 SPdaGOAT said
This actually really interesting cause I know they wanted it for the Meta bullsh*t.

I wonder if this was a case of FB getting outbid or moreso that Activision wasn’t with bucking the traditional gaming sh*t for VR
Part of Microsofts press release included mentioning the metaverse/expanded into the metaverse

I feel like the meltdowns by everyone would have been hilarious if facebook made the deal. The meltdowns around having to link Oculus 2 headsets to Facebook accounts was a spectacle to watch on Reddit/Twitter
+4   

4 months ago '05        #21
Ghettoquiz 
Props total: 3575 3 K  Slaps total: 542 542
 JayMurdoch said
According to this

and GamePass subs and future Hardware sales and future titles that will likely make them a bunch of money.......halo shows, starfield movies etc etc. shouldnt be that long imo. this deal not the last tho i believe take 2 likely next then they will chill out for a bit
+2   

4 months ago '17        #22
 OldBusiness said
Part of Microsofts press release included mentioning the metaverse/expanded into the metaverse

I feel like the meltdowns by everyone would have been hilarious if facebook made the deal. The meltdowns around having to link Oculus 2 headsets to Facebook accounts was a spectacle to watch on Reddit/Twitter
Facts tho

People still melting down about that sh*t everywhere lmfao funny sh*t is the Facebook not even intrusive at all YET at least lol

4 months ago '20        #23
5ive04our  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x196 OP
 JayMurdoch said
Here we go again M$ ain’t buy Activision to simply bow out the console race. This acquisition boosts gamepass and the Microsoft eco system. Why wouldn’t more studios increase the quality of games? Some studios shouldn’t be focusing their energy on COD let them create what they want to create.

Rare needs to hand Banjo over to Toys for Bob since they didn’t want to do a Pt. 3 and work on newer IPs
+3   

4 months ago '12        #24
 SPdaGOAT said
Facts tho

People still melting down about that sh*t everywhere lmfao funny sh*t is the Facebook not even intrusive at all YET at least lol
Exactly

I literally just made a blank account with my real name, linked it, turned all the privacy options on full blast and never went back to the account lol. But that sh*t would have been hilarious
+2   

4 months ago '21        #25
 Liquid-Science said
LMFAO

now you change to the old ' no quality games' narrative after accepting that financially it's ok

Well...Let's see what Microsoft Studios have been up to lately on metacritic

Forza Horizon 5 - 92
Microsoft Flight Sim - 90
Psychonauts 2 - 87
deathloop - 88
Halo Infinite -87

Microsoft has smashed every single narrative used against them in the last year

I wouldn't call that smashing the narrative.

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+149online now  31
When that liquor kicks in
112 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+30online now  19
"judge i actually enjoyed this gunna video (take it to trial)"-atl prosecutor
159 comments