4/S DJI Ronin-S w/Essential Package + Hardcase

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tech

4 months ago '04        #1
2061 page views
24 comments

patt24 
Props total: 15931 15 K  Slaps total: 1608 1 K
4/S DJI Ronin-S w/Essential Package + Hardcase

I have a brand new DJI Ronin-S Gimbal with the complete essentials kit + a waterproof hard case. It was the backup gimbal that never got used.

Planned on using it with my RED Raptor but got rid of the Raptor and this doesn't have a high enough payload for my other cameras. (max payload 8.8lbs)

+4   

best
worst
24 comments

4 months ago '17        #2
THExTAKEOVER 
Props total: 25306 25 K  Slaps total: 2278 2 K
Let me see some test footage n*gga!!!!!
+4   

4 months ago '04        #3
patt24  OP
 THExTAKEOVER said
Let me see some test footage n*gga!!!!!
I don't do test footage videos, unfortunately. Probably could do a youtube with all the different gear we rent weekly.
+1   

4 months ago '17        #4
THExTAKEOVER 
Props total: 25306 25 K  Slaps total: 2278 2 K
 patt24 said
I don't do test footage videos, unfortunately. Probably could do a youtube with all the different gear we rent weekly.
Damn. Well even still, thatís some nice gear right there.
+1   

4 months ago '04        #5
patt24  OP
 THExTAKEOVER said
Damn. Well even still, thatís some nice gear right there.
the raptor was definitely dope IMAGE QUALITY wise, but like most RED cameras, not worth the money... my crew does the commercial work nowadays, I just book and oversee so they weren't really digging the lack of accessories currently available, the RF mount, or the lack of i/o without the expander, as it was tricky to mount out of the way... plus we had some quality control issues with it. Wifi antenna came damaged, the lens lock didn't lock and there were paint smudges. For 35k the sh*t should have been flawless.

We also ordered the black but the white came in... we shoot a lot of car & product commercials so the white gets picked up in reflections easier. We couldn't send anything back because there's like a 3month wait. Sent it to a RED repair shop, they cleaned and fixed everything and we just sold it Tuesday.
+2   

4 months ago '05        #6
Tonero 
Props total: 12184 12 K  Slaps total: 2946 2 K
I've always wanted to cop a red camera to rent out. But I don't know the business

4 months ago '04        #7
patt24  OP
 Tonero said
I've always wanted to cop a red camera to rent out. But I don't know the business
rental market for cameras is slowly dying unless you get one of the big boys. Newer cameras are so affordable there's a chance you won't break even.

Arri Alexa Mini, Mini LF, Sony Venice, Sony Venice 2 (when it comes out), or a RED Monstro are the only ones that could bring in enough of a return but even the Monstro rentals will get eaten into by the raptor.

Komodo is a solid choice for rentals but you'd have to kit it out to make any money.

Lenses are the move for rentals. However, most people treat rentals like sh*t so it's a crapshoot. Drop 100k on some Cookes and then some idiot drops the lens and doesn't say anything you'll be pissed.

Cooke S4s, Arri Sig Primes or Zeiss Supreme Primes are ALWAYS being rented out here. It also depends on your location. I rented S4s for my latest short and it was 500 for a day/weekend. A nice sleeper rental lens would be the Atlas Orion B set. Theyre about 600 a day for 3 lenses and most rental houses are ALWAYS out. You have to go to sharegrid or kitspit for them and they're hitting for 250 per lens per day there and the 3 lens kit is 30k. Alot of people are going full frame + anamorphic nowadays so it could be a nice little investment. But definitely do your own research for your area and see whats poppin.
+1   

4 months ago '05        #8
Tonero 
 patt24 said
rental market for cameras is slowly dying unless you get one of the big boys. Newer cameras are so affordable there's a chance you won't break even.

Arri Alexa Mini, Mini LF, Sony Venice, Sony Venice 2 (when it comes out), or a RED Monstro are the only ones that could bring in enough of a return but even the Monstro rentals will get eaten into by the raptor.

Komodo is a solid choice for rentals but you'd have to kit it out to make any money.

Lenses are the move for rentals. However, most people treat rentals like sh*t so it's a crapshoot. Drop 100k on some Cookes and then some idiot drops the lens and doesn't say anything you'll be pissed.

Cooke S4s, Arri Sig Primes or Zeiss Supreme Primes are ALWAYS being rented out here. It also depends on your location. I rented S4s for my latest short and it was 500 for a day/weekend. A nice sleeper rental lens would be the Atlas Orion B set. Theyre about 600 a day for 3 lenses and most rental houses are ALWAYS out. You have to go to sharegrid or kitspit for them and they're hitting for 250 per lens per day there and the 3 lens kit is 30k. Alot of people are going full frame + anamorphic nowadays so it could be a nice little investment. But definitely do your own research for your area and see whats poppin.
This is the type of information that i need to make such a decision, props.

So what kits would u recommend for rentals to these start up rappers and shooting short promos for clothing lines?
+1   

4 months ago '04        #9
patt24  OP
 Tonero said

So what kits would u recommend for rentals to these start up rappers and shooting short promos for clothing lines?
Honestly, everyone is different. Its kind of tough to go for a one size fits all type of kit.

I would recommend something with autofocus and light enough for gimbal work.

For SONY either an a7s3 or an FX3 and a G Master 16-35 + a G Master 24-70 they're the same camera but the FX3 is suited more for video with their audio top handle.

For Canon either an R5 or a C70 with RF Lenses 24-70 f2.8 L series + a 15-35 f2.8 L series.

a RED Komodo would work as well due to the name, but the autofocus only works consistently with the EF Adapter so you'll have to get AutoFocus EF Lenses a 16-35 f2.8L + a 24-70 f2.8L (this one isn't really a good lens for video but it covers the remaining lengths)

Everything else, the autofocus is a bit janky.

Most people don't understand the difference between camera & lenses unless they hear about certain items and most of the time it's from Youtubers who don't do any real shooting.

No one doing any legit film work would get any of these except for the c70 or komodo but definitely not with those lens kits so you'll be stuck with certain clients. This would work well for weddings, interviews, music videos and online "content"

With that said, optically the best option is the FX3 with the G-Lenses either a Ronin or Zhyiun Crane gimbal (any model gimbal, new or old doesn't matter because of the camera AF system)

or

Komodo for the name recognition.

long story short...
-Camera, cage, 2 lens choices, Gimbal, Handful of batteries, External Monitor, 2x 512GB CFExpress or CFast 2.0 (camera dependent) cards, a decent shotgun mic, all cables, all in a pelican or jason case is really all you need. Can even add a tripod but nowadays for music videos, no one uses tripods. Probably run about 10k total and a fair price would be about 225-300 a day/weekend and 600 a week.

Last edited by patt24; 01-13-2022 at 12:08 PM..
+3   

4 months ago '05        #10
Tonero 
 patt24 said
Honestly, everyone is different. Its kind of tough to go for a one size fits all type of kit.

I would recommend something with autofocus and light enough for gimbal work.

For SONY either an a7s3 or an FX3 and a G Master 16-35 + a G Master 24-70 they're the same camera but the FX3 is suited more for video with their audio top handle.

For Canon either an R5 or a C70 with RF Lenses 24-70 f2.8 L series + a 15-35 f2.8 L series.

a RED Komodo would work as well due to the name, but the autofocus only works consistently with the EF Adapter so you'll have to get AutoFocus EF Lenses a 16-35 f2.8L + a 24-70 f2.8L (this one isn't really a good lens for video but it covers the remaining lengths)

Everything else, the autofocus is a bit janky.

Most people don't understand the difference between camera & lenses unless they hear about certain items and most of the time it's from Youtubers who don't do any real shooting.

No one doing any legit film work would get any of these except for the c70 or komodo but definitely not with those lens kits so you'll be stuck with certain clients. This would work well for weddings, interviews, music videos and online "content"

With that said, optically the best option is the FX3 with the G-Lenses either a Ronin or Zhyiun Crane gimbal (any model gimbal, new or old doesn't matter because of the camera AF system)

or

Komodo for the name recognition.

long story short...
-Camera, cage, 2 lens choices, Gimbal, Handful of batteries, External Monitor, 2x 512GB CFExpress or CFast 2.0 (camera dependent) cards, a decent shotgun mic, all cables, all in a pelican or jason case is really all you need. Can even add a tripod but nowadays for music videos, no one uses tripods. Probably run about 10k total and a fair price would be about 225-300 a day/weekend and 600 a week.
Good lookin for the info, 10k is a good investment
+1   

4 months ago '04        #11
patt24  OP
 Tonero said
Good lookin for the info, 10k is a good investment
just be careful and do the research for your area... new cameras come out every few months and unfortunately people jump to whatever names pop and not necessarily the best tool for the job.
+1   

4 months ago '05        #12
Tonero 
 patt24 said
just be careful and do the research for your area... new cameras come out every few months and unfortunately people jump to whatever names pop and not necessarily the best tool for the job.
Yea i have a lot of things to think about.

4 months ago '04        #13
patt24  OP
 Tonero said
Yea i have a lot of things to think about.
throw that 10k into a horror feature
+1   

4 months ago '05        #14
Tonero 
 patt24 said
throw that 10k into a horror feature
Im actually a software engineer so i know nothing about making movies. But i don know about making money. Media has always been a passion of mine tho

My goal is to eventually rent these cameras to cats in

But are you saying i can invest in movies and get a cut of the sales? Is there a site for that?

4 months ago '04        #15
patt24  OP
 Tonero said
Im actually a software engineer so i know nothing about making movies. But i don know about making money. Media has always been a passion of mine tho

My goal is to eventually rent these cameras to cats in

But are you saying i can invest in movies and get a cut of the sales? Is there a site for that?
If you're looking for Nollywood, They LOVE Blackmagic cameras. Especially Pocket 4 and 6ks. I never heard of anyone renting them in the states for anything more than C or car mount cams.

10k might not get you in the door with anything other than smaller indie projects, so it's more so of asking around and doing some research of who local is making films. IMDBPro is decent for that.

But I know
has worked for a producer who will be funding a smaller project of mine this fall.
+1   

4 months ago '05        #16
blackninja 
Props total: 25054 25 K  Slaps total: 2538 2 K
I have the Zhiyun Weebill 2 with the extra grip. I can't tell you how it is because I bought a ton of gear, and I have yet to use it.

Last edited by blackninja; 01-16-2022 at 08:35 PM..
+1   

4 months ago '04        #17
patt24  OP
 blackninja said
I have the Zhiyun Weebill 2 with the extra grip. I can't tell you how it is because I bought a ton of gear, and I have yet to use it.

zhiyun makes good gimbals. The Weebill 2 is dope if you're on a smaller camera with autofocus. Especially if you got the pro+ pack with the wireless system.

That underslung arm is a lifesaver. I ALWAYS use it. Bought this one with it too.

4 months ago '05        #18
blackninja 
 patt24 said
zhiyun makes good gimbals. The Weebill 2 is dope if you're on a smaller camera with autofocus. Especially if you got the pro+ pack with the wireless system.

That underslung arm is a lifesaver. I ALWAYS use it. Bought this one with it too.
Word. I have a Canon R5. I Never really used that yet either, but I will... I also have the Atomos Ninja V. I do not know why the sell that gimble without the quick release. Without that I guess you would have to balance it every time you use it if you take that camera off. My camera is primarily for photography so the gimble is not for its main use.
+1   

4 months ago '04        #19
patt24  OP
 blackninja said
Word. I have a Canon R5. I Never really used that yet either, but I will... I also have the Atomos Ninja V. I do not know why the sell that gimble without the quick release. Without that I guess you would have to balance it every time you use it if you take that camera off. My camera is primarily for photography so the gimble is not for its main use.
the r5 is dope when paired with the Ninja V+. It takes out the internal overheating aspect. Just make sure you get that angel bird 2tb atomx ssd also. Those RAW file sizes are massive.

Realistically, you should balance it every time you take it off and put it on, go into different environments etc. If you're a perfectionist lol. If not you might not notice a big enough difference to compensate for the time spent if you're a solo shooter. If you're not a solo shooter, make your AC do that sh*t.

4 months ago '05        #20
blackninja 
 patt24 said
the r5 is dope when paired with the Ninja V+. It takes out the internal overheating aspect. Just make sure you get that angel bird 2tb atomx ssd also. Those RAW file sizes are massive.

Realistically, you should balance it every time you take it off and put it on, go into different environments etc. If you're a perfectionist lol. If not you might not notice a big enough difference to compensate for the time spent if you're a solo shooter. If you're not a solo shooter, make your AC do that sh*t.
The Weebill 2 has auto balancing that works magnificently after you balance it the first time, eliminating the need for anyone to do it again, if you have the quick release. But sure you could balance it every time, but I am not sure it's worth it.

As I mentioned, I have the Ninja V, so I have no over heating issues when i use that. I actually never experienced them under any circumstance.

As of yet, I have no need for the Ninja V+ to shoot 8K. I only shoot 8K for VFX plates, and they are relatively short and fit on my CFExpress Card to be quickly transferred. You mention the AngelBird 2TB, that's cool. However, I prefer to have multiple drives.

I was able to buy 5 certified compatible Western Digital 1 TB SSD drives for the price of that one 2TB SSD drive. They REALLY run games on people with that Angel drive. I don't get it. And you can record damn near forever (jk) in a 1TB drive with the 10-bit H.265 codec from ATOMOS. You can't tell the difference, eliminating the conversion step is great, and editing is a breeze.

So, I don't even need all the drives like I thought I would, but having them and not breaking the bank put my mind at ease. (Side note: I was able to 3D print my shortened drive cases for the ATOMOS with my 3D printer. Yeah, I know I could have just bought them, but I figured I would just make use of my resin printer for the instant acquisition. They costs me about $0.19.)

Regardless, a 2TB drive you mention is only storage and does not defeat the massive headache it is to deal with 8K files. Even with the new Mac I ordered I still would not want to deal with those raw files of main content, and there is no reason for me to.

The Ninja V shoots 5K with the R5; that will be enough if I need to go above 4K for cropping of a main content shoot. I doubt I will. Realistically, if you REALLY need to shoot extensive 8K, I seriously doubt you will be doing it with one of the "affordable" mirrorless cameras by Canon, Sony, etc.

Last edited by blackninja; 01-18-2022 at 09:16 AM..
+1   

4 months ago '04        #21
patt24  OP
 blackninja said
The Weebill 2 has auto balancing that works magnificently after you balance it the first time, eliminating the need for anyone to do it again, if you have the quick release. But sure you could balance it every time, but I am not sure it's worth it.

As I mentioned, I have the Ninja V, so I have no over heating issues when i use that. I actually never experienced them under any circumstance.

As of yet, I have no need for the Ninja V+ to shoot 8K. I only shoot 8K for VFX plates, and they are relatively short and fit on my CFExpress Card to be quickly transferred. You mention the AngelBird 2TB, that's cool. However, I prefer to have multiple drives.

I was able to buy 5 certified compatible Western Digital 1 TB SSD drives for the price of that one 2TB SSD drive. They REALLY run games on people with that Angel drive. I don't get it. And you can record damn near forever (jk) in a 1TB drive with the 10-bit H.265 codec from ATOMOS. You can't tell the difference, eliminating the conversion step is great, and editing is a breeze.

So, I don't even need all the drives like I thought I would, but having them and not breaking the bank put my mind at ease. (Side note: I was able to 3D print my shortened drive cases for the ATOMOS with my 3D printer. Yeah, I know I could have just bought them, but I figured I would just make use of my resin printer for the instant acquisition. They costs me about $0.19.)

Regardless, a 2TB drive you mention is only storage and does not defeat the massive headache it is to deal with 8K files. Even with the new Mac I ordered I still would not want to deal with those raw files of main content, and there is no reason for me to.

The Ninja V shoots 5K with the R5; that will be enough if I need to go above 4K for cropping of a main content shoot. I doubt I will. Realistically, if you REALLY need to shoot extensive 8K, I seriously doubt you will be doing it with one of the "affordable" mirrorless cameras by Canon, Sony, etc.

Our work flows are completely different. I donít have the luxury to rely on auto anything, especially focus or balancing. If it has the potential to fail, taking the time to do it means the difference between a botched shot and a ruined paid client gig, Iíll take the time. I would love to work on auto everything but weíre constantly changing pieces on the camera all day long. Changing lenses, adding filters, different type of memory, going from indoor elements to outdoor elements, unfortunately auto just doesnít fit into our workflow which has to be perfect every time. We actually had to get rid of our Komodo because of the wonky autofocus, cost us a 5k day for reshoots, immediately got rid of it.

We never bought the R5 just rented it for a few weeks to see how it worked, and it overheated multiple times in 8k and in 4kHQ. Itís a shame because itís a dope camera, and might look into renting that new R5C to see if it fixes some of the bugs. We never really need 8k. Even 6k is overkill.

They actually donít. yea, theyíre slightly overpriced but Iíve NEVER had an AB Cfast or CFEXpress B fail on me. Angelbirds real world sustained write speeds sh*t all over the competition and its not even close. If youíre only shooting 4K, then yea, donít get an AB if money is an issue but even still theyíre not much more than the competition. I prefer the internal recording instead of having another piece hanging off the camera. Theres already a wireless transmitter, viewfinder, timecode generator, wireless focus system, power adapters etcÖ an external recording device would cause more headaches and I would definitely be nervous about the USB-C cable coming loose.

Only SSD IMO worth getting aside form that would be a SAMSUNG T5. The T5 can go usb to usb to edit directly off the drive. Angelbird needs a docking station but the speed is able to go from camera right to editing without proxies or any slowdowns, so that 2TB is all we need for majority of our projects. Card prices are included with our quotes, sometimes we get to keep them but most of the time we deliver the job on the same SSD with the RAW footage. We have over 100 standard external HDs for storage. Iíve used the WD SN750ís and they couldnít handle RAW on a Pocket 6k, we had to drop from our usual 3:1 compression to Q5 until it stopped dropping frames.

There arenít many cameras that can shoot 8K and an A1 has been BCams and Crash cams on plenty of big budget SONY Venice projects since it came out. It could have been a dope documentary Bcam to a C300 or C500 but that time limit is k*ller. Industry is headed towards smaller, mirrorless shoots.

You do VFX plates so it makes sense for you. If someoneís not doing VFX then 8k would only be beneficial for reframing, cropping and stabilizing which really helps out solo shooters working on strict timelines.
+1   

4 months ago '04        #22
patt24  OP
 Tonero said

saw this today

+1   

4 months ago '05        #23
Tonero 
 patt24 said
saw this today

$7gs for Canon EOS C70 isnt bad at all

4 months ago '04        #24
patt24  OP
 Tonero said
$7gs for Canon EOS C70 isnt bad at all
its a really good camera... same sensor as their c300 miii, not that it matters to you since you'll be renting it, but come march its value is only going to go up.

They're supposed to be pushing a firmware upgrade that incorporates Canon RawLight internal with the ability for proxies simultaneously.

with canons 0.71x mount adapter you'll have a full frame 4k RAW which you can use as a selling/renting point.

4 months ago '05        #25
Tonero 
 patt24 said
its a really good camera... same sensor as their c300 miii, not that it matters to you since you'll be renting it, but come march its value is only going to go up.

They're supposed to be pushing a firmware upgrade that incorporates Canon RawLight internal with the ability for proxies simultaneously.

with canons 0.71x mount adapter you'll have a full frame 4k RAW which you can use as a selling/renting point.
Thanks for the heads up, really appreciate it. This is what this forum used to be about
+2   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+19online now  29
May 27 - 19 officers playing on their phones while waiting for tactical gear a..
93 comments
22 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
+86online now  21
Video inside Do not chase women!
155 comments
22 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+17online now  17
Video inside The Ponzi Scheme Collapse in the Shoe Market