'Banking While Black': Police video shows how cashing a paycheck led to handcuffs

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section wild 'ish

2 months ago '07        #1
4026 page views
123 comments

strongthetruth  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x15
Props total: 37820 37 K  Slaps total: 8812 8 K
'Banking While Black': Police video shows how cashing a paycheck led to handcuffs

visit this link https://kstp.com/news/ban .. cuffs/6324616/

Joe Morrow had just finished a 12-hour shift as an "order picker" at a grocery distributor in Hopkins last year when he stopped at a U.S. Bank branch in Columbia Heights to cash his paycheck.

Despite having an account with the bank and showing his ID, that simple transaction led to a call to police, threats of arrest, and Morrow being placed in handcuffs.

A bank manager told officers he suspected the check was a fake, but police body camera video shows he only called Morrow's employer for verification after the 23-year-old Black man was removed from his office.

The check was, in fact, real.

U.S. Bank disputed Morrow's allegations of racial profiling but quietly agreed to a confidential settlement two weeks after 5 INVESTIGATES started asking questions about the incident.

Lawyers and advocates say Morrow's experience raises questions about implicit bias and is part of a national phenomenon that more Black Americans have been documenting in recent years with the social media hashtag "Banking while Black."

"When I'm coming out of (the manager's) office I was handcuffedÖ people were lookingÖ like I'm a criminal or something," Morrow said.

'Banking While Black': Police video shows how cashing a paycheck led to handcuffs | 'Banking While Black': Police video shows how cashing a paycheck led to handcuffs |
The body camera video

U.S. Bank declined requests to share any video of what happened inside the bank before police arrived, but 5 INVESTIGATES obtained 45 minutes of footage from the body-worn cameras of the two officers who responded to the call for "a possible fraudulent check" and a suspect who was refusing to leave.

Sgt. Justin Pletcher arrived first. His body camera recorded Morrow sitting in the bank manager's office, leaning back, with his hands folded.

John Askwith, the bank manager who called police, is blurred and muted in the video, as required by state law, because he did not consent to its release.

In the first minute of the video, Morrow can be heard a*serting his innocence.

"I work there, bro. And I'm going to report you too, bro. This is racial," Morrow said to Askwith.

The video does not appear to show Morrow raising his voice or using profanity, but his claim of racial profiling was immediately met with a warning.

"Joe, I need you to calm down, first of all, OK?" Pletcher said. "Don't say anything stupid because you're just going to get arrested for it."

Minutes later, after a second officer arrived, police say the manager asked them to move Morrow to an adjacent office.

The video then shows officers handcuffing Morrow after he appeared to stand up quickly from his chair.

In the incident report, Pletcher wrote that Morrow "flexed at John (Askwith) in a threatening manner."

"I didn't threaten him. I got up, like, I'm mad," Morrow said. "The guy told the officer, can you get him out of my office? He might take something on my deskÖ that's when I got super mad. I'm going to touch something on your desk?"

5 INVESTIGATES showed the police body camera video to Samuel Myers Jr., a professor at the University of Minnesota who has researched racial disparities in banking for more than 30 years.

"This is a classic example of where things escalated beyond what they needed to escalate to," Myers said. "I wish I could say that this was an aberration. I wish I could say this was an outlier, but it happens a lot."

Myers authored a report titled "Responsible Banking in the Twin Cities" in 2015 that looked at discriminatory lending practices.

The report also gave failing grades to many of the largest financial institutions for their performance in areas such as customer service provided to minorities.

"The fact is these are experiences that Black people disproportionately encounter and the evidence is indisputable," Myers said.

'Banking While Black': Police video shows how cashing a paycheck led to handcuffs | 'Banking While Black': Police video shows how cashing a paycheck led to handcuffs |
The paycheck

Morrow says his frustration began before police arrived when he first asked a teller to cash his paycheck for about $900.

"They were all looking at me and just staring at me. And then looking at the check and then staring at me again and I'm already knowing what they're thinking Ė that the check (is) fake," Morrow said during an interview with 5 INVESTIGATES.

"The manager? He came over and said, 'Joe Morrow? Your check (is) fake.' And I said, what?" Morrow said. "He said, 'you people always coming in here with fake checks.'"

According to the police report, the bank manager told police he had received "a lot of fraudulent checks" using the UNFI logo.

Morrow says Askwith, the manager, told him he had already called the company and confirmed the check was a fake, but the officers' body camera video confirms Askwith only made that critical phone call to UNFI after police arrived and had Morrow in handcuffs.

While still detained, he offered more evidence that his paycheck was real.

"I got the check stub and it'll say what day it started and all that and how many hours I workedÖ I could've came in here and showed them that," Morrow told the officer.

A Mississippi native who moved to Minnesota earlier in 2020, Morrow says the experience was "degrading" and unlike anything he had ever encountered.

When he first sat down to speak with 5 INVESTIGATES in October, Morrow's attorney, Rich Hechter, had sent at least two letters to U.S. Bank asking for a settlement and an explanation.

"They've never responded formally, they've never taken any accountability, they've never truly apologized to Mr. Morrow," Hechter said at the time. "I really thought that the bank would be upfront about this, (that) they would be apologetic."

U.S. Bank declined multiple requests to interview Askwith or anyone else at the bank.

"At U.S. Bank, we're committed to fairness toward everyone we serve regardless of race," spokesperson Lee Henderson said in his initial email to 5 INVESTIGATES in October, adding "we dispute the facts as they're being portrayed to you."

U.S. Bank reached a confidential settlement with Morrow two weeks later, but continues to defend how its employees handled the incident.

"After a thorough internal investigation, there is nothing to indicate that the customer's race or ethnicity played a factor in the service he received at this branch," Henderson said last week.

Reaction

That conclusion is disputed by some of those who have now heard Morrow's story and seen the video, including community leaders such as Tyrone Terrill, former director of the St. Paul Department of Human Rights and president of the African-American Leadership Council.

"There's no question in my mind, had he been white, this would have never happened," Terrill said. "There are many things that happen in a store, in a bank, in a restaurant, in a hotel Ė you name it Ė that Black people get treated differently."

Myers, the University of Minnesota professor, cautions that such incidents rarely involve overt racism.

"What you frequently hear among whites in Minnesota is that 'I'm not racist,'" Myers said. "The point is that you don't have to be a conscious, insidious, hostile bigot in order to engage in actions that have a discriminatory effect."

Questions of implicit bias

Combating so-called "implicit bias" is the focus of the "Fair and Impartial Policing Training" program, which has been used by law enforcement agencies across the country.

Lorie Fridell is the founder of that program and agreed to review the body camera video of the incident at U.S. Bank in Columbia Heights.

"I did not discern anything in the video that showed Mr. Morrow as being threatening," Fridell said. "Maybe they saw things that I did not see or maybe this could be related to one of the implicit a*sociations that's well documented in the research. And that research shows that many of us see more threat in people of color."

Fridell, who is also a professor at the University of South Florida, says those biases are often unconscious Ė a point that's highlighted in her training.

"What it recognizes is that even well-intentioned people with their hearts and their minds in the right place have implicit a*sociations that can impact their perceptions and behavior," Fridell said. "So, this is not about being racist. This is not about being consciously prejudiced."

"Makes you look guilty"

Fridell commended Sgt. Pletcher for doing what she called a "debrief" with Morrow after the bank confirmed his check was legitimate.

Morrow remained in an office at the bank for more than 10 minutes after officers removed his handcuffs.

Pletcher did most of the talking during that time, telling Morrow he wanted to speak with him "man to man" about the confusion over his paycheck.

"They're making fake checks with that logo on it, right?" Pletcher can be heard saying to Morrow. "I need you to stay calm for that, OK? Because when you start acting like this, it makes you look guilty."

While Fridell said such a moment can help to reduce tension, others are critical of that particular interaction.

"So, the question is what is acting guilty?" Myers said. "You're blaming (Morrow) for creating the racism that he feels."

Terrill also criticized Pletcher's choice of words in the body camera video when the sergeant is heard telling Morrow that he should "wait to be validated."

"'Wait to be validated' Ė That's 450 years of history of slavery," Terrill said. "Do we got to still wait for white America to validate us? Come on."

This is how police found Joe Morrow when responding to a call from U.S. Bank in Columbia Heights for a This is how police found Joe Morrow when responding to a call from U.S. Bank in Columbia Heights for a "possible fraudulent check" on Oct. 29, 2020. |
Columbia Heights Police also declined an on-camera interview request.

"This incident has been reviewed and the officers' actions in this situation were reasonable and they conducted themselves professionally," Chief Lenny Austin said in a written statement.

Sgt. Pletcher sent 5 INVESTIGATES links to stories from network news programs when Pletcher was praised on national TV for his handling of a call involving a Black state employee two days after the death of George Floyd.

"I think we need more police officers to speak up," Pletcher said on the Today Show in June of 2020.

He declined requests to speak on the record about what happened at U.S. Bank.

At the end of the body camera video, Pletcher can be heard apologizing to Morrow for his experience as they walk out of the bank.

It is unknown if Morrow received a formal apology from U.S. Bank since the two sides reached a confidential settlement.

"Everybody should be accountable for what you do," Morrow said. "If you did something wrong, stand up and be accountable for what you did."
+35   

best
worst
123 comments

2 months ago '06        #2
LYTE 
Props total: 26067 26 K  Slaps total: 2203 2 K
Reserved for later
+6   

2 months ago '08        #3
WarviewVA 
Props total: 4031 4 K  Slaps total: 461 461
"What it recognizes is that even well-intentioned people with their hearts and their minds in the right place have implicit a*sociations that can impact their perceptions and behavior," Fridell said. "So, this is not about being racist. This is not about being consciously prejudiced." Sick of this sh*t. Ultimate throw a rock n hide ya hand, these people are cowards…It’s what it looks like, racist people being racist… “well intended” FOH
+61   

2 months ago '21        #4
TheIronyIsThat 
Props total: 10983 10 K  Slaps total: 1413 1 K
Why was he put in fu*king handcuffs when they had no proof the check was fake?

This is how these American White scumbags rigged the system and then act stupid like they aren't the main cause of Black people suffering.
+99   

2 months ago '13        #5
Murker99  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 9586 9 K  Slaps total: 1278 1 K
He from Mississippi but had never experienced anything like that before. I try to tell people Mississippi is not what people make it out to be on TV. I didn’t experience any racism in Mississippi my whole life until I move to Texas

The only gripe I had about Mississippi is the lack of opportunities. The only bad thing about Mississippi is the segregation and sometimes that’s a good thing
+38   

2 months ago '10        #6
Trilluminati GA 
Props total: 45175 45 K  Slaps total: 1798 1 K
amerikkka in it's true form ladies and gentlemen
So much to unpack here but it's fu*k that bank manager, fu*k the sgt, And duck that bank. They all gotta go.
+33   

2 months ago '07        #7
strongthetruth  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x15 OP
 TheIronyIsThat said
Why was he put in fu*king handcuffs when they had no proof the check was fake?

This is how these American White scumbags rigged the system and then act stupid like they aren't the main cause of Black people suffering.
They said when he stood up he ďseemed threatening.Ē The full video is on the news site. Wouldnít let me post it in here. The police were just as racist as the banker.
+33   

2 months ago '07        #8
 Murker99 said
He from Mississippi but had never experienced anything like that before. I try to tell people Mississippi is not what people make it out to be on TV. I didnít experience any racism in Mississippi my whole life until I move to Texas

The only gripe I had about Mississippi is the lack of opportunities. The only bad thing about Mississippi is the segregation and sometimes thatís a good thing
You didnít experience it there because you stayed out of harms way and segregated yourself. A side of my family is from there. Itís definitely racist af.
+27   

2 months ago '16        #9
Boogie1790  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 64777 64 K  Slaps total: 10241 10 K
That sh*t make me wanna put hands on the bank manager
+18   

2 months ago '07        #10
 Boogie1790 said
That sh*t make me wanna put hands on the bank manager
The cop was worse than the banker at the end. Was sending slick threats and all AFTER the check was verified.
+22   

2 months ago '06        #11
alchemy187 
Props total: 20395 20 K  Slaps total: 4957 4 K
Hip hop

2 months ago '13        #12
 strongthetruth said
You didnít experience it there because you stayed out of harms way and segregated yourself. A side of my family is from there. Itís definitely racist af.
I didnít experience because contrary to popular belief itís not as bad as people make it out to be. Also itís racist af everywhere what is your point? I could give a damn if your whole family is from here

2 months ago '07        #13
 Murker99 said
I didnít experience because contrary to popular belief itís not as bad as people make it out to be. Also itís racist af everywhere what is your point? I could give a damn if your whole family is from here

Mississippi still has a current list of sundown towns. Iíve either seen or experienced racism every single time Iíve been there. Itís exactly what itís made out to be. Maybe the racism just went over your head. A lot of people from Mississippi do be a little slow.
+16   

2 months ago '13        #14
 strongthetruth said

Mississippi still has a current list of sundown towns. Iíve either seen or experienced racism every single time Iíve been there. Itís exactly what itís made out to be. Maybe the racism just went over your head. A lot of people from Mississippi do be a little slow.
Didnít read America is racist you have no point
+5   

2 months ago '13        #15
Also people not accounting for ratio of blacks that live in Mississippi so it’s a possibility you won’t experience racism because of how segregated it is. Mississippi has high number of blacks living there so it’s not like a lot of up north cities

+11   

2 months ago '04        #16
Tha754kid 
Props total: 10785 10 K  Slaps total: 811 811
 Murker99 said
He from Mississippi but had never experienced anything like that before. I try to tell people Mississippi is not what people make it out to be on TV. I didnít experience any racism in Mississippi my whole life until I move to Texas

The only gripe I had about Mississippi is the lack of opportunities. The only bad thing about Mississippi is the segregation and sometimes thatís a good thing
As a current native of Mississippi, I can 100% confirm your statement. I can't say that racial sh*t doesn't happen here because it does. But I personally haven't experienced it first hand. The lack of opportunities here is sickening though.
+6   

2 months ago '15        #17
acb814 
Props total: 3541 3 K  Slaps total: 295 295
 strongthetruth said

n*ggas who say sh*t like this is just as bad as racist white people. You judging a whole group of black peoples intelligence based upon where they from. That white systematic devisiveness is sure working a number on a lot of you n*ggas.
+10   

2 months ago '07        #18
 acb814 said
n*ggas who say sh*t like this is just as bad as racist white people. You judging a whole group of black peoples intelligence based upon where they from. That white systematic devisiveness is sure working a number on a lot of you n*ggas.
I’m not dividing sh*t because I didn’t say anything about race. I was referring to the white people from there being slow as well. You a little slow yourself.

2 months ago '20        #19
LordGimmeASign 
Props total: 31581 31 K  Slaps total: 2187 2 K

Yo this sh*t is just too draining at this point.

These people are really the devil.

Idk if anyone else can convince me otherwise.

I WILL say though objectively that it shows that he works at a warehouse and there may have been sketchy people that currently or used to work there because that bank branch said they've gotten fraudulent checks before with that particular warehouse's logo on it.

However, it was also mentioned that he's cashed checks there before and they verified the check was legit while he was in cuffs.

So yeah, like I said, they the devil man...
+24   

2 months ago '15        #20
acb814 
 strongthetruth said
Iím not dividing sh*t because I didnít say anything about race. I was referring to the white people from there being slow as well. You a little slow yourself.
Donít get mad cause you said some ignorant sh*t now you wanna deflect, the way you said it implied that a black man was slow cause the racism was going over his head and itís probably because heís from Mississippi. But but but I was talking about all people shut up lame a*s fake a*s bi*ch.
+2   

2 months ago '20        #21
LordGimmeASign 
 strongthetruth said
The cop was worse than the banker at the end. Was sending slick threats and all AFTER the check was verified.
And then the cop had the nerve to say something along the lines of "When you get irate and angry, that's acting guilty..."

Hatin' game sh*t...
+13   

2 months ago '20        #22
LordGimmeASign 
Aye bro, why is this placed in the hip hop section?

2 months ago '07        #23
 acb814 said
Donít get mad cause you said some ignorant sh*t now you wanna deflect, the way you said it implied that a black man was slow cause the racism was going over his head and itís probably because heís from Mississippi. But but but I was talking about all people shut up lame a*s fake a*s bi*ch.
Nah you the slow a*s n*gga that immediately thought ďblack peopleĒ when I used the word slow. And the n*gga is slow if he thinks racism doesnít exist or isnít bad in the state of Mississippi. Race isnít an identifier to being a dummy like yourself.

2 months ago '07        #24
 LordGimmeASign said
And then the cop had the nerve to say something along the lines of "When you get irate and angry, that's acting guilty..."

Hatin' game sh*t...
I would have went to jail. Bruh better than me.
+3   

2 months ago '15        #25
acb814 
 strongthetruth said
Nah you the slow a*s n*gga that immediately thought ďblack peopleĒ when I used the word slow. And the n*gga is slow if he thinks racism doesnít exist or isnít bad in the state of Mississippi. Race isnít an identifier to being a dummy like yourself.
n*gga canít even comprehend his own ignorance but wants to use terms like slow as an insult cause you know you slow yourself. Itís not my job to read between the lines of a statement you made so be more precise with your words. Iím sure he knows his state better than you and Iím sure racism exists everywhere and itís not as extreme there as itís made out to be compared to other places. I believe thatís the point he was making and your dumb a*s immediately took it to a level of insulting a whole group of people based on where they from whether white or black thatís retarded and devisive as fu*k my n*gga.
+1   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+45online now  21
NY Times Article on Alpo: He Was in Witness Protection, But His Harlem Life Ke..
152 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+203online now  21
Video inside Be Careful What You Ask For
65 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  13
Image(s) inside Game calls out TI, Funk Flex & Ebro for their top 50 rappers lists the..
169 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+74online now  13
Kelce ignores the call play and tell Mahomes that hes running his own rout..
82 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy