Dec 7 - Canada's first homegrown COVID-19 vaccine is plant based and shows high efficacy

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

2 months ago '07        #1
3240 page views
168 comments

castro  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x18
Props total: 27641 27 K  Slaps total: 5551 5 K
Dec 7 - Canada's first homegrown COVID-19 vaccine is plant based and shows high efficacy

Canada's first homegrown COVID-19 vaccine has shown high efficacy against infection during Phase 3 clinical trials, the drugmakers behind the plant-based shot reported Tuesday, fuelling hopes it could soon get a stamp of approval for use.

Medicago, a biopharmaceutical company headquartered in Quebec City, and British-American vaccine giant GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) are now gearing up for their final regulatory submission to Health Canada.

The vaccine's overall efficacy rate against all virus variants studied was 71 per cent, with a higher efficacy rate of 75 per cent against COVID-19 infections of any severity from the dominant delta variant, the companies said in a news release.

The results followed a global, Phase 3, placebo-controlled study of the two-dose vaccine that was launched last March. The newly discovered omicron variant — recently confirmed in various countries around the world, including Canada — was not circulating during the trial period.

If licensed in this country, the shot would be the first COVID-19 vaccine using virus-like particle technology and the first plant-based vaccine ever approved for human use, Brian Ward, medical officer for Medicago, said during a recent interview with CBC News.

"This would be a first for the world," he added, "not just for Quebec and Canada."

The shots use Medicago's plant-derived, virus-like particles — which resemble the coronavirus behind COVID-19 but don't contain its genetic material — and also contain an adjuvant from GSK to help boost the immune response.

In the vaccine's Phase 3 trial, no severe cases of COVID-19 were reported in the vaccinated group, the release notes. No related serious adverse events were reported either, and reactions to the shots were "generally mild to moderate and transient," with symptoms lasting, on average, only one to three days.

"I think there will be an important need for our vaccine, both to increase the number of doses available for those who haven't had any vaccines yet, but also possibly for those who need a booster dose," Ward said.

Results are promising, immunologist says
National Advisory Committee on Immunization working group member Matthew Miller, an immunologist at McMaster University in Hamilton who is working on developing a different type of vaccine for COVID-19, said the Medicago trial results are promising on both efficacy and safety.

He noted that the public information was so far limited to a news release, much like previous announcements from other vaccine manufacturers.

The trial itself was also hindered by time constraints and didn't specifically break down the level of protection against severe illness. That's because there were too few serious COVID-19 cases in the placebo arm and none in the vaccine arm, limiting the ability to draw strong conclusions, Miller said.

"Nevertheless, I think we can expect that with 75 per cent protection against any infection, you would expect even stronger protection against severe illness; that's been universally true of every single other vaccine," he added.

"The durability of that response, I think, is still a question that we'd have to wait and see."

Canada may not have a vaccine in production yet but it does have a long-term strategy in the works — to develop a made-in-Canada vaccine and the vaccine independence that comes with it. 8:15
The Phase 2 portion of the trial at multiple sites in Canada and the United States involved a mix of healthy adults, those with comorbidities and seniors over the age of 65, while the Phase 3 portion expanded to more than 24,000 participants in various countries.

If approved for use, the shot may help jump-start Canada's sluggish vaccine production sector, said Miller, who has no current affiliation with Medicago but previously sat on a panel advising the company on influenza vaccines.

Canada lost its vaccine manufacturing capacity over time, but that could change with several Canadian COVID-19 vaccines currently in development, said Lakshmi Krishnan, director general of human health therapeutics at the National Research Council of Canada.

"We hope that in due time, all of that will align and we will be able to produce vaccines in Canada," she said.

Trial looked at range of variants
Medicago is now one of the first to share trial results on how well its vaccine works against a range of variants, Ward said, unlike those earlier in the pandemic, which focused on the earliest strain of SARS-CoV-2.

The trial showed nearly 89 per cent efficacy against the gamma variant, with no cases of alpha, lambda or mu variants observed in the vaccinated group, while 12 cases were observed in the placebo arm.

While there's concern over the omicron variant and whether it may evade some level of vaccine- or infection-based immunity, Ward said the company plans to get that data for its vaccine as soon as possible.

"The goalposts have moved," Ward said.

Full results of the Phase 3 study will be released in a peer-reviewed publication, Medicago's release noted.

If Health Canada gives the green light to the vaccine, it would be the fifth COVID-19 shot approved for use in Canada, alongside those from Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson.

visit this link https://www.cbc.ca/news/h .. cacy-1.6275759

Last edited by castro; 12-07-2021 at 08:35 AM..
+25   

best
worst
168 comments

2 months ago '07        #2
castro  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x18 OP
Unhealthy dirty antivaxxers running out of excuses... now y'all can't say the "fetal tissue" "mrna tech too new" "vaccine has virus in it" go get Canada's vegan vaccine you pu**y bi*ch

2 months ago '06        #3
Skateboard T  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 97704 97 K  Slaps total: 18584 18 K
 castro said
Unhealthy dirty antivaxxers running out of excuses... now y'all can't say the "fetal tissue" "mrna tech too new" "vaccine has virus in it" go get Canada's vegan vaccine you pu**y bi*ch
You know how this sh*t works tho lol once they have no type of argument it’s just “Fake news”

2 months ago '21        #4
FRAZZELDRIP 
Props total: 8153 8 K  Slaps total: 3453 3 K
 castro said
No u get it you scary a*s lab rat.

I'm convinced you pussies only do this sh*t on the internet cause I haven't met anyone IRL that has tried me over this dumbass sh*t.

This is more pathetic than preschoolers talking about cooties n sh*t.

As long as people have human rights and aren't afraid of viruses with high survival rates we will do as we please while you cry about it.

Do the world a favor and play tyrannical dictator commie shill in traffic. Preferably Interstate 45.
+33   

2 months ago '06        #5
 FRAZZELDRIP said

I'm convinced you pussies only do this sh*t on the internet cause I haven't met anyone IRL that has tried me over this dumbass sh*t.

As long as people have human rights and aren't afraid of viruses with high survival rates we will do as we please while you cry about it.

Do the world a favor and play tyrannical dictator commie shill in traffic. Preferably Interstate 45.
Ironic that you chose interstate 45 on which to ask somebody to play tyrannical dictator…

2 months ago '17        #6
SPdaGOAT  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 94439 94 K  Slaps total: 34988 34 K
Plant based lmfao what are we doing here
+1   

2 months ago '17        #7
 FRAZZELDRIP said

I haven’t met a vaccine shill at all in real life. A lot of people that have taken it but they couldn’t care less about the others.

We all know what BX does tho. No more Trump in office so f*ghting for the vaccine is what gives them life now
+17   

2 months ago '07        #8
 FRAZZELDRIP said

I can just tell you're a mayo yeti

You have nothing to say now so the only excuse is "high survival rate"

antivaxxers = dirty unhealthy delusional clowns that contradict themselves and are hypocrites

Last edited by castro; 12-07-2021 at 10:54 AM..

2 months ago '07        #9
 SPdaGOAT said
Science, you stupid fu*k

2 months ago '16        #10
foshoVoodoo  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x59
Props total: 128418 128 K  Slaps total: 25614 25 K
they put covid in the produce
+8   

Top 10 most slapped recently  2 months ago '20        #11
BuiltForThis  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x9
Props total: 23692 23 K  Slaps total: 39014 39 K
 SPdaGOAT said
Shootin these sissy a*s lab rats and they pups with more estrogen

+4   

2 months ago '17        #12
 castro said
Science, you stupid fu*k
Isnt that what the other vaccines are lol.

This seems like some marketing bullsh*t
+1   

2 months ago '17        #13
DaQCKing  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 116210 116 K  Slaps total: 4828 4 K
Fucboy in here calling folks lab rats

I hope you've never taken a single medicine or ate anything out of a grocery store. If you could see that sh*t that the FDA allows to be on the shelves
+7   

2 months ago '07        #14
 SPdaGOAT said
Isnt that what the other vaccines are lol.

This seems like some marketing bullsh*t
This is a prime example of an antivaxxer showing his IQ

2 months ago '12        #15
Flossin' Daily 
Props total: 11645 11 K  Slaps total: 1553 1 K

+12   

2 months ago '07        #16
 BuiltForThis said
Shootin these sissy a*s lab rats and they pups with more estrogen

First it was "y'all are lab rats because they are doing the trials on you, the vaccines aren't approved by fda" then they get approved and you're still talking about lab rats, just admit you got nothing at this point, you're just a pu**y bi*ch probably scared of needles

And like that other user said, I hope you never go to the doctors or any medical facility and never take a prescription in your life since you don't trust science or medicine

Top 10 most slapped recently  2 months ago '20        #17
BuiltForThis  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x9
Props total: 23692 23 K  Slaps total: 39014 39 K
 castro said
First it was "y'all are lab rats because they are doing the trials on you, the vaccines aren't approved by fda" then they get approved and you're still talking about lab rats, just admit you got nothing at this point, you're just a pu**y bi*ch probably scared of needles

And like that other user said, I hope you never go to the doctors or any medical facility and never take a prescription in your life since you don't trust science or medicine
Lab rat y’all still taking an unknown total amount of EUA snake oil injections and wearing mask all while “fully vaccinated”.

Mixing and matching too

Last edited by BuiltForThis; 12-07-2021 at 11:25 AM..
+3   

2 months ago '17        #18
 castro said
This is a prime example of an antivaxxer showing his IQ
Because I said vaccines that aren’t plant based are science lmfao.

Btw, I have my high school diploma. I can’t be an antivaxxer
+1   

2 months ago '17        #19
Naga Sadow  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x21
Props total: 201288 201 K  Slaps total: 15343 15 K
Funny to see reich wingers in here f*ghting against beneficial medicine. Either the low life's want everyone to suffer or they were conned by their daddy Trump and his cronies and would rather die than admit they were wrong and misled.

2 months ago '06        #20
 TheyLiveYUSLEEP said
So you are for the covid jab solely for political reasons not health reasons. We live in a weird world.
Where did I say that?
+3   

2 months ago '15        #21
altaluv 
Props total: 4168 4 K  Slaps total: 1283 1 K
If it becomes an absolute must and there is no way around it. I will get it.

2 months ago '05        #22
Sizzler01  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 18663 18 K  Slaps total: 6479 6 K
 TheyLiveYUSLEEP said
So you are for the covid jab solely for political reasons not health reasons. We live in a weird world.
ofc thats all its been about with him...you can tell which side of the fence dudes like him are on, when they only push the vaccine and not other treatments that have been reported to help people...
+2   

2 months ago '17        #23
Nosbig 
Props total: 4426 4 K  Slaps total: 661 661
Damn I'm surprised they got this going, instead of the government putting money into it when covid started truedeau refused and would rather buy vaccines than produce them. Company must of found private investors
+2   

2 months ago '16        #24
foshoVoodoo  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x59
Props total: 128418 128 K  Slaps total: 25614 25 K
 Flossin' Daily said

I'm not vaxxed, but I been practicing saying "johnson n johnson byatch"

2 months ago '11        #25
0ddJoB 
Props total: 6697 6 K  Slaps total: 4043 4 K
 DaQCKing said
Fucboy in here calling folks lab rats

I hope you've never taken a single medicine or ate anything out of a grocery store. If you could see that sh*t that the FDA allows to be on the shelves
U talking about products that are over the shelf that people have been using for years before you were born lol.

And comparing it to a vaccine that just popped up mayne cmon
+1   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+68online now  19
Video inside Wait WTF... Did Anyone Know About This Secret In Super Mario Brothers?&..
75 comments
2 days ago
@games
most viewed right now
+20online now  14
[Health] Green Juicing…Why you need it.
34 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
-21online now  4
Image(s) inside Stores Starting To Put Warning Signs On Playstation 5 Display Case
142 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
+315online now  3
Video inside Benny the Butcher & J. Cole - Johnny P's Caddy
269 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy