online users
thotties       tv/movies       gaming       gear       tech       guap       rides       eats       health       bxwf       misc

My Salary Journey > 40k to 400k in 10 years

icon

more
topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  1   0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT section guap

2 years ago '20        #1
21065 page views
367 comments

brother  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 7048 7 K  Slaps total: 1264 1 K
icon My Salary Journey > 40k to 400k in 10 years

Just wanted to share my journey over the last 10 years in hopes of inspiring or motivating any BX brothers who think it can't be done.

Background: I graduated from College with a Bullsh1t degree (think English or Communications). After college I struggled to find a decent job for years. Became a full blown alcoholic in the process.

2012 - Digital Marketing Position. 40k. Was a bullsh1t position overall, and I ended up getting fired in 6 months. But I was exposed to a tool that would change my life forever.

2012-2014 - Took a two year break where I was down real bad. Alcoholism crept in. Lost a ton of friends. Worst shape of my life. Looked like sh1t, probably smelled like sh1t too
emoji

2014 - Swallowed my pride and accepted an internship that paid $10/hr. Huge step backwards, but I bet on myself.

2014 - I got promoted from an Intern to an entry-level position. Salary back to $40k.

2017 - Told the company I was leaving. They countered and I got a raise to $75k.

2018 - Ended up leaving anyways, got a new position. $80k.

2019 - Got a position at a big consulting agency. Finally broke 6 figures. $120k

2019 - Hated the consulting gig with a passion. Ended up quitting. Got a new gig for $150k

2021 - Ended up getting promoted to $175k

2021 - I took on a second FT job that pays $190k. Combined income $360,000

2021 - Started a consulting business on the side, bringing in about $2-4k a month (roughly $20-$40k a year).

Final total going into 2022 is just shy of $400k

I'm honestly proud of myself. There were times where I was down real bad, times where I wanted to end it all. I wasn't happy. But I find that when I have my back against the wall is when I do my best, and so I tapped into my natural competitiveness and kept shooting for the stars.

I don't type all of this to rub it in anyones face - but just as a blueprint on how hard work can help you reach your goals.

Feel free to ask questions if you want, I'll try to answer to the best of my ability without getting too specific, as I'd like to keep a level of anonymity. But I can also DM you if you have more in-depth questions.

Kepe grinding fellas - if I can do it, you sure as hell can too.
+606   

icon
best
icon
worst
367 comments

2 years ago '20        #2
brother  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5 OP
General Tips that helped me succeed

- Learn how to speak "Corporate America". It means adding a little bit of extra pep in your voice. You'll be surprised how far you can get with communication alone.

- And to add on to speaking, make sure to polish up on your people ski1ls. If people like you, they'll keep you around even if you aren't the strongest ski1l wise. People like to work with good people.

- You gotta "fake it till you make it" with corporate America. Sometimes asking someone how their weekend was, even if you don't give a fu#k, can score you brownie points that might come back to help in the future.

- Keep leveling up. It's easy with YouTube and Google

- Don't be afraid to quit a job, especially in today's market. If you got an in-demand ski1l, you'll be able to find a new job with the quickness. But also, don't quit unless you got something already lined up

- LinkedIn is KEY. If you don't have one, you are severely limiting yourself. Get one ASAP, and add keywords to it so you come up in searches

- Network. Join Slack or Discord channels that are industry-specific. Talk to people. You never know when you might cross paths with them
+235   

2 years ago '10        #3
Bigg_Slime  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x62
Props total: 100848 100 K  Slaps total: 44821 44 K
Your ski1lset must be amazing, judging from the job salaries increasing every time u found a new job, then getting raises on top of that
+51   

2 years ago '08        #4
Imagin3 
Props total: 16475 16 K  Slaps total: 2244 2 K
Write all that but not the tool that changed or your job
Why make the thread then?

emoji
+95   

2 years ago '19        #5
Thisizdray 
Props total: 21991 21 K  Slaps total: 3600 3 K
Dope post. Can you explain what exactly digital marketing is and how you do it/ get started?
+12   

2 years ago '05        #6
R4P  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 15276 15 K  Slaps total: 2622 2 K
Love seeing stuff like this, congrats
+23   

2 years ago '13        #7
Facts B  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 49982 49 K  Slaps total: 5094 5 K
 brother said 🔗

- Learn how to speak "Corporate America". It means adding a little bit of extra pep in your voice. You'll be surprised how far you can get with communication alone.

- You gotta "fake it till you make it" with corporate America. Sometimes asking someone how their weekend was, even if you don't give a fu#k, can score you brownie points that might come back to help in the future.
Good sh1t brother. Love to hear stories like this. I feel like I am on a similar path but right now hovering at about a 100k. The fake it to you make it sh1t is real, especially me being a black man. So many times I want to revert to a hood n1gga but that’s exactly what they want. So I am cordial, engage in conversations, small talk and ask questions I truly don’t give a fu#k about. In 6 months, got a raise and opportunity to make more money. Gotta keep playing the game. Much future success and prosperity to you!
+97   

2 years ago '19        #8
OaklandSmokin 
Props total: 31321 31 K  Slaps total: 2086 2 K
emoji
+5   

2 years ago '04        #9
MrNickNick 
Props total: 1441 1 K  Slaps total: 222 222
Good sh1t.
+2   

2 years ago '13        #10
hendrix2013  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 6803 6 K  Slaps total: 1879 1 K
So being fake? Na im cool. Ima make it my way wo acting like a bi#ch. Keep that other sh1t.

Oh btw ducktales. This aint the whole story. Yall believe anything.

2 years ago '14        #11
Bigboi781  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x44
Props total: 62886 62 K  Slaps total: 17327 17 K
2 jobs? How do you handle man? I’m tr@nsitioning into the field full time come January and seems like a lifestyle lol
+10   

2 years ago '18        #12
Lsulakersaints  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 35038 35 K  Slaps total: 1530 1 K
Good sh1t op
+1   

2 years ago '20        #13
 Imagin3 said 🔗
Write all that but not the tool that changed or your job
Why make the thread then?

emoji
The main tool is Salesforce and then any/every Marketing tool that connects to it (such as Pardot)

↪🔗 < free Salesforce courses provided by Salesforce. They even let you use a sandbox instance so you can play around without having to purchase a license. You can earn badges on the site to showcase your level of ski1l, and then share them on your LinkedIn profile to indicate to recruiters that you know your sh1t

I will say though, no amount of badges or certificates can make up for real life experience. Take some courses (I'd recommend the beginner admin course) and then use that to get an entry-level salesforce job, and then go from there.

Let me know if you have any more questions brother
+80   

2 years ago '15        #14
majorpain1963 
Props total: 13545 13 K  Slaps total: 1434 1 K
Lol OP prepare for some hateful responses.
+33   

2 years ago '20        #15
 Bigg_Slime said 🔗
Your ski1lset must be amazing, judging from the job salaries increasing every time u found a new job, then getting raises on top of that
Thanks. I suffered from serious imposter syndrome for most of my career, felt like a fraud. But then I kept getting great reviews from my bosses and great offers from big companies (Amazon, Facebook), which made me gain more confidence in myself.
+39   

2 years ago '20        #16
 Thisizdray said 🔗
Dope post. Can you explain what exactly digital marketing is and how you do it/ get started?
Digital Marketing encompasses a ton of different areas, I focus moreso on the Marketing Automation side of things using tools like Salesforce and Pardot.

I stay away from more traditional digital marketing such as PPC (pay-per-click advertising such as banner ads or promoted google search results), Social Media marketing and SEO/organic marketing mostly because I've never wanted to be in a job where my effort could be quantified (ex: our conversions only increased 2% this month, you're fired).

The type of work I do is moreso data management, making sure records are being routed to sales properly, running reports and dashboards
+37   

2 years ago '16        #17
MacFrugal  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 11188 11 K  Slaps total: 1943 1 K
OP are you a Foundational Black American?

2 years ago '20        #18
 Facts B said 🔗
Good sh1t brother. Love to hear stories like this. I feel like I am on a similar path but right now hovering at about a 100k. The fake it to you make it sh1t is real, especially me being a black man. So many times I want to revert to a hood n1gga but that’s exactly what they want. So I am cordial, engage in conversations, small talk and ask questions I truly don’t give a fu#k about. In 6 months, got a raise and opportunity to make more money. Gotta keep playing the game. Much future success and prosperity to you!
Glad someone gets it
emoji

It's easy to score those brownie points during Monday morning meetings, just ask people how their weekend was. People love it
emoji

Corporate America is really a big game of chess when you think about it
emoji
+42   

2 years ago '05        #19
 hendrix2013 said 🔗
So being fake? Na im cool. Ima make it my way wo acting like a bi#ch. Keep that other sh1t.

this dude just ooze hate lmaooo
+36   

2 years ago '05        #20
 brother said 🔗
Glad someone gets it
emoji

It's easy to score those brownie points during Monday morning meetings, just ask people how their weekend was. People love it
emoji

Corporate America is really a big game of chess when you think about it
emoji
It all is brother
+19   

2 years ago '20        #21
 hendrix2013 said 🔗

I guess some would call it being fake, I call it being professional
emoji

Even your favorite athlete has to "fake it" when doing post-game interviews and dealing with the press.

But yea, good luck keeping it all the way real.
+40   

2 years ago '06        #22
dagreat1_87 
Props total: 33446 33 K  Slaps total: 1663 1 K
So just making sure. You got two full time jobs that pay over 100k each? What's the second job? Or is it prerty much the same as the first?
+7   

2 years ago '11        #23
inthezone  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 23481 23 K  Slaps total: 7501 7 K
I work a dead end job making 55k-75k year. I have everything I can ever want In life. Good looks, good health, beautiful family, nice home, and we spend a lot of time together. I don’t know if use that as An excuse for under achieving (financially) in life or if I found the key to life (not getting caught up In the rat race). Either way I can justify why I do what I do without any regrets. Sure I would like more money but at what cost. Plus peace of mind is priceless in my eyes.
+83   

2 years ago '05        #24
 dagreat1_87 said 🔗
So just making sure. You got two full time jobs that pay over 100k each? What's the second job? Or is it prerty much the same as the first?
I work in IT and the higher up you get the more automated your job becomes which makes it ideal for people to work 2 sometimes 3 jobs at a time remotely...i get paid to do wtf i wanna do around the house just keep my laptop next to me in case anyone needs me (this doesnt apply to ALL IT but majority)

theres many people in IT working 2 jobs making quarter mil a year

not to hijack brother's thread though just expanding your horizons
+43   

2 years ago '06        #25
whammy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x12
Props total: 47810 47 K  Slaps total: 3036 3 K
My @🔗!

So are these the steps to success?

1. Complete Salesforce training.
2. Get a job doing Salesforce.
3a. Gain experience to move up the chain.
3b. Gain experience in order to be consult to smaller companies that do not have a dedicated Salesforce department.
4. Profit.
+25   

say something...

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
props+439
Video inside This is Janet Jackson. She will be 58 this year 💋
69 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
logo LeBron gets called out for stat padding
97 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
props+346
Post A Moment That Finished An Artist Career
287 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
props+1352
Video inside Rozay shouldve kept quiet..
176 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop