Halo Subreddit on Lockdown due to Halo backlash and death threats to 343

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section games

2 months ago '16        #1
2052 page views
57 comments

Novii  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 13941 13 K  Slaps total: 2313 2 K
Halo Subreddit on Lockdown due to Halo backlash and death threats to 343

The Halo subreddit is currently undergoing a lockdown period after the fans got a little too heated at Infinite dev 343 Industries.

Halo Infinite isnít a perfect game. Despite coming to the end of its Beta very soon, the Free-To-Play title isnít everything fans were hoping for.

While the gameplay is nothing short of phenomenal, there are more than a few issues that players are finding with the game.

Just some of the previous complaints fans have been making are as follows:

-Heavy Monetization
-Slow Progression
-Desync Causing Players to Miss Shots
-Removal of Core Game Modes
& More

Of course, Reddit has a reputation for being a relatively toxic community on occasion. And over the last few days, the Halo subreddit has been more than a little negative.

Now, as the /r/Halo fan base explodes at a new developer comment, the moderator team is seeing fit to place the whole subreddit on lockdown.

Recently, things have come to a breaking point on the Halo subreddit. After days of extreme negativity, Community Director Brian Jarrard attempted to set the record straight with a lengthy and informative comment about the teamís next moves.

In the extensive breakdown, Jarrard shares a behind-the-scenes look at the development of Halo Infinite. He also touches on why certain controversial decisions were made, and how the team feels passionately about getting things on the right track.

Halo Dev LONG post in question:
I can't reply to every person yelling at me/343 here so want to just share a few final things to take or leave as you see fit. When we have some updates to share I'll be back.

First, I'm going to stress again that I 100% understand and generally agree with the frustrations most are expressing even if I don't agree with the attacks and ways in which some choose to express those feelings. Call me a shill, a liar, corp speak, etc. as you want, but I've never lied to this community and never will. And I'm not saying myself are 343 are a 'victim' in any way - that's yet another narrative some folks here have chosen to apply. It's my job to come in here, listen, franky take it on the chin, and despite personally being very put off by the way in which many are expressing themselves, still ensure that we are advocating for players internally. We do that regardless of it being positive or negative and always will.

As for Slayer itself - we're still having discussions around feasibility. Yes this is absolutely a hot topic and something the team is aware of. We would love to have modes and experiences that meet player expectations vs. the backlash situation we're in today. I don't believe anyone at 343 thought not having Slayer was a 'good idea.'

I don't personally agree we 'owe' folks a detailed dissertation on 'what 343 has been doing the last 6 years' or 'who ever thought this was a good idea', etc.. We have had people working their a*ses off for years to try and deliver the best Halo game they can amidst very challenging circumstances. But, I will try to at least provide some context for those who are interested.

The launch playlists were setup as they were to take a measured approach. We have UI limitations with the game right now in the way and number of playlists that are exposed. We have complex and not-ideal progression and challenge systems intertwined in playlists and modes that are not necessarily trivial to de-couple and change. (yes the entire challenge/progression system needs a lot of work - something the team is acutely aware of and prioritizing).

The team's plans for a Slayer playlist, I think, are more robust than what might 'suffice' for an interim solution. I love the ideas and some of the variants they're working on - those all require tuning and most importantly - testing. QA is a huge dependency and it's a critical part of the development pipeline that has been running nonstop for months to launch this game.

We are re-evaluating what it would take to potentially just start with a 'vanilla Slayer' playlist as a shorter term addition until the more robust offering is ready. I think the main hurdle that needs to be addressed and may require more time than is feasible before the holiday break is the knock on effect to challenges and needing to also re-assess 'quick play' and what that becomes. Historically, a Slayer only playlist and an Objective only playlist has always resulted in the Obj playlist quickly becoming unhealthy - but maybe we inevitably have no choice but to go down that route until more robust systems are available (note I am not a MP or systems designer).

It's just not quite as trivial as 'pushing a button.' And at the scale and complexity of this game - any and every change could have monumental impact in a negative way without extensive testing. Triaging these feedback issues and finding 'what CAN we do now' is what the team is already doing and will continue doing. Everything has to be tested. Everything has downstream dependencies and knock on effects. And, we're 4 days from a global launch with holidays right after.

As far as the notion of this all being a ploy to force challenge swaps - it just isn't. I don't expect everyone to believe that, but while we may not agree with the playlist selections and approach, I'm just going to say again "making players have no control and have to use swaps" has never once been a thing I've heard. Ever. And again, we know this entire challenge system is not ideal and while I'm glad they've been able to make some interim tweaks to progression pace and remove some of the more frustrating RNG challenges, there is absolutely more work to be done and this is not the ideal vision the Live team has in mind. (though, more challenge tweaks are coming with the playlist update, details to come soon) I did not really enjoy having to grind through 20+ games of Quick Play to hopefully get Oddball so I could hopefully win 3 times to complete a challenge. Or, <shudder>, having to get 10 Ravager k*lls. Is this week's Ultimate Reward of just an emblem really worth the grind? There's a lot of work to do - we are all in agreement there. A few more changes are coming this month and I hope we can start to lay out more robust plans after the break.

Not everyone likes that Infinite is a F2P game and thus has a new business model based on monetization of customization. I understand where you're coming from, especially with a 20 year established franchise with a longstanding legacy. F2P has been a huge boost to growing the player base and we've seen a huge amount of new players entering the franchise for the first time ever. But this is a business - the servers you play on cost money to operate. The studio that develops and maintains the game costs money. Battlepass and premium customization is the model for this game today. Is there room to continue a*sessing the overall economy and value for players? Absolutely and that's also an area the team is constantly monitoring and learning. The creation of cosmetics and the battlepass have absolutely nothing to do with something like a playlist. That content was created ages ago, is static, and wasn't done 'instead of playlists.' Was it a priority to make sure that this game could in fact generate revenue? Of course.

I'm starting to ramble here but the main TLDR is, for what it's worth, we're going to do what we can as soon as we can. If things today do not meet your expectations then I'm sorry you've been disappointed. I'm confident this game will continue to get better and better and all of these issues are fixable. I also realize that some players are just going to not play anymore - maybe they come back, maybe they don't. I also know - and want to be very up front and honest - that the pace at which bigger changes are brought to bear will absolutely not be as fast as many want. We have some problems, for sure, but I'm really proud of the foundation the team was able to deliver.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. It's your prerogative to play or not play. I'd rather have people who are so passionate they're yelling at us than nobody caring at all. But I just ask that people please take a breath here, understand there are human beings behind this who put years of their lives into just trying to make the best experiences they can, and do not rush to judge or a*sume you've got it all figured out.

And with that, I fully expect to be blasted from here out, but hopefully for some, this post helps provide a bit more context. Have a great weekend everyone.
visit this link https://gamingintel.com/h .. oxic-backlash/

Update #1
sh*t that started it all:

Update #2

visit this link https://imgur.com/gallery/8UYSH1L

Last edited by Novii; 12-05-2021 at 04:46 PM..
+7   

best
worst
57 comments

2 months ago '17        #2
SPdaGOAT  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 94170 94 K  Slaps total: 34874 34 K
I heard that subreddit be wylin
+4   

2 months ago '04        #3
Liquid-Science  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 5247 5 K  Slaps total: 860 860
Redditors are insane and super toxic

The general consensus has been 'Hey Halo Infinite MP is pretty good, it's fun...just fix the progression'

The devs fixed the progression but the toxic geeks still got issues

They are weird and complain about everything
+15   

2 months ago '05        #4
P-Hill 
Props total: 34339 34 K  Slaps total: 2259 2 K
As a software developer (not gaming and certainly not at their scale), I feel his pain.
+9   

2 months ago '07        #5
moe4484  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 3425 3 K  Slaps total: 281 281
I really cant believe people are stressed over unlocking cosmetic sh*t in HALO. You see your character for what 5 seconds before the round starts.
+23   

2 months ago '16        #6
Novii  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2 OP
 moe4484 said
I really cant believe people are stressed over unlocking cosmetic sh*t in HALO. You see your character for what 5 seconds before the round starts.
Tbh, If you go on social media thatís the message, speak with your wallet the game is still fun.

But to lockdown a subreddit is nuts. These arenít undercover ps owners either. The dev dropped a snarky remark on Twitter though that had people FLAMING him. thatís what all started this really

2 months ago '05        #7
P-Hill 
Props total: 34339 34 K  Slaps total: 2259 2 K
 Novii said
Tbh, If you go on social media thatís the message, speak with your wallet the game is still fun.

But to lockdown a subreddit is nuts. These arenít undercover ps owners either. The dev dropped a snarky remark on Twitter though that had people FLAMING him. thatís what all started this really
What he say?

I read that long post but without context I cant really grasp what he's responding to
+1   

2 months ago '05        #8
projectd06 
Props total: 33847 33 K  Slaps total: 8112 8 K
I dont know why they let folks on the internet get away with saying all that wild sh*t, if you make a death threat you should be charge with a crime. At least make them hide their IP to say crazy sh*t.

2 months ago '16        #9
 P-Hill said
What he say?

I read that long post but without context I cant really grasp what he's responding to
Updated original post
The dev is Brian something or ske7ch
or w.e

2 months ago '15        #10
Mal215 
Props total: 24837 24 K  Slaps total: 3210 3 K
 moe4484 said
Shut up

2 months ago '15        #11
Lord Funkington 
Props total: 11295 11 K  Slaps total: 1868 1 K
sh*t looks like an argument on BX.
+8   

2 months ago '06        #12
ehizzy3  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 20917 20 K  Slaps total: 1755 1 K
Nerd sh*t

Halo is fun af, not even buggy so who cares what color your armor is

Some gamers are entitled brats
+10   

2 months ago '05        #13
Krazie 
Props total: 45881 45 K  Slaps total: 7040 7 K
I question all these dudes that rather play dress up in their games than just, ya know, play it and have fun.
+7   

2 months ago '16        #14
 Krazie said
I question all these dudes that rather play dress up in their games than just, ya know, play it and have fun.
The argument on Twitter started because they won’t have slayer ready for release.

Basically the playlists people want to play they didn’t get down in time and it seems like they prioritized the store first

Edit: apparently the battle pass progression is tied to objectives that don’t mesh well with the playlists. People doing objectives and not trying to actually win games. Makes ranked near unplayable for SOME

Last edited by Novii; 12-05-2021 at 03:25 PM..

2 months ago '16        #15
Quinn 
Props total: 11068 11 K  Slaps total: 2199 2 K
 Novii said
The argument on Twitter started because they wonít have slayer ready for release.

Basically the playlists people want to play they didnít get down in time and it seems like they prioritized the store first

Edit: apparently the battle pass progression is tied to objectives that donít mesh well with the playlists. People doing objectives and not trying to actually win games. Makes ranked near unplayable for SOME
easy do objectives outside of ranked

also

play the game for fun, not some E-rank

these the weirdos that give gamers bad names
+2   

2 months ago '04        #16
ddash 
Props total: 61973 61 K  Slaps total: 4754 4 K
white people really just weird lol

But anyway I been playing halo last 2 days.Its aight.Nothing special and feels slow and clunky in the controls at times.Takes a min to find a match.Im glad its free,prolly wont get to much more play from me but im not a gamer like that anymore.
+8   

2 months ago '16        #17
Quinn 
Props total: 11068 11 K  Slaps total: 2199 2 K
imagine not pay for something, then bi*ching about it not giving you what you want, when the paid part would.

imagine buying something, and not knowing what you paid for beforehand

+4   

2 months ago '17        #18
Naga Sadow  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x21
Props total: 200420 200 K  Slaps total: 15243 15 K
 P-Hill said
As a software developer (not gaming and certainly not at their scale), I feel his pain.
I have a coworker who was a game programmer. He said it was the worst profession.
+3   

Top 10 most propped recently  2 months ago '20        #19
Blafy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 80572 80 K  Slaps total: 5779 5 K
Halo is fun to me, they do have to fix their leveling up system. Then I remember it’s just a beta and the full game is not out until Dec 8th.

We will see as the game grows
+2   

2 months ago '17        #20
Naga Sadow  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x21
Props total: 200420 200 K  Slaps total: 15243 15 K
 Quinn said
imagine not pay for something, then bi*ching about it not giving you what you want, when the paid part would.

imagine buying something, and not knowing what you paid for beforehand

And imagine it not being necessary to have but just different armor.

2 months ago '05        #21
SquirrelXss 
Props total: 10002 10 K  Slaps total: 2967 2 K
Lol, internet gives these chumps too much power.

death threats come do something bi*ch
+2   

Top 10 most slapped recently  2 months ago '20        #22
5ive04our  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x178
Props total: 93183 93 K  Slaps total: 18919 18 K

+2   

2 months ago '20        #23
God is Good 
Props total: 17572 17 K  Slaps total: 16725 16 K
Game will be dead in a few months

Only so long fake thugs can pretend

God bless

2 months ago '21        #24
ShowinNakedAzz 
Props total: 3239 3 K  Slaps total: 1162 1 K
 Liquid-Science said
Redditors are insane and super toxic

The general consensus has been 'Hey Halo Infinite MP is pretty good, it's fun...just fix the progression'

The devs fixed the progression but the toxic geeks still got issues

They are weird and complain about everything
If you like Halo 5, you will not like infinite.

2 months ago '19        #25
AdonisH 
Props total: 6966 6 K  Slaps total: 753 753
Incels. It’s a fu*king video game who cares
+2   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  15
Video inside 2022 Ford Bronco Raptor brings monster energy
45 comments
1 day ago
@rides
most viewed right now
+59online now  10
Video inside How do you feel about a woman asking for money in the first date?
208 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+18online now  4
Jan 24 - Welp they beat the brakes off great granny
55 comments
24 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
-75online now  4
Image(s) inside Gucci won. Jeezy and Jeanie Mai raising child to be gender fluid.
178 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy