Dec 4 - NYC businesses told to pay up after not accepting cash

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

2 months ago '04        #1
2309 page views
50 comments

jlandryst  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x60
Props total: 21023 21 K  Slaps total: 2208 2 K
Dec 4 - NYC businesses told to pay up after not accepting cash

This city rule makes no “cents,” according to Big Apple businesses suffering under a ban on cashless establishments.

Upscale ice cream parlor Van Leeuwen has been slapped with $12,750 in fines across its NYC locations for not accepting legal tender, one of the many city merchants dinged for violating the year-old ban.

The city has gone after 23 businesses for violations. The Department of Consumer and Worker Protection received 152 complaints about cashless businesses across the city, the agency said. So far 16 businesses have been found guilty by the city Office of Administrative Trials and Hearings, and fines total $23,850.

Councilman Kalman Yeger (D-Brooklyn) said the crackdown was unfair.

“These agencies weaponize our statutes to torment small businesses in this city,” he said. “This is about raising revenue for the city.”

The city received a half-dozen complaints about Van Leeuwen’s cashless stores since November 2020, when the ban went into effect, according to agency spokeswoman Carmel Agnant.

Under the law, stores must accept cash unless they have a machine to convert cash to a prepaid card. They cannot charge more for paying in cash, Agnant said.

The City Council passed the cashless ban in January 2020, as more businesses went cashless to combat the spread of COVID. Supporters of the ban said cashless businesses discriminate against minors and poor people who may not have bank accounts or credit cards.

“The City of New York cannot allow the digital economy to leave behind the 25 percent of New Yorkers who are chronically unbanked and underbanked,” then-Councilman Ritchie Torres (D-Bronx), the bill’s sponsor, said at the time its passage.

In the Van Leeuwen case, the city fired off a “cease-and-desist” letter to the ice cream chain but it continued to flout the law, the Consumer Affairs spokeswoman said.

Ben Van Leeuwen, the ice cream parlor’s co-founder, denied the violations, saying he had not refused cash payment because “no one has offered it,” the city said.

But the city submitted affidavits and photographs of signs in windows saying they do not accept cash, according to the OATH hearing decision.

Van Leeuwen “expressed his dismay that this provision of law existed and was being enforced when there were more important problems in the world,” according to OATH documents.

Elsewhere, Rizzoli Bookstore on Broadway on the Upper West Side was fined $500 after pleading guilty before OATH and Roberta’s Pizza on Grand Street in Williamsburg Brooklyn Street Pizza has been ordered shell out $1,000 dough.

A woman who answered the phone at Rizzoli’s bookstore Friday acknowledged there was a period where they did not accept cash, but said, “We do now.” Roberta’s Pizza declined comment.

Reps for the restaurant industry noted the advantages of going cashless– particularly during a pandemic.

“We understand the equity issue,” Andrew Rigie, executive director of the New York City Hospitality Alliance, added. “However, going cashless presents operational opportunities for small businesses, as well. Especially in a time of COVID, customers and workers may feel safer.”

And cash-free means some peace of mind for workers worried about the next smash and grab robbery.

“Not having cash on site would mean less likely to have any sort of theft. And then, strictly, if everything was without cash, you wouldn’t have to worry about anything getting misreported or miscounted. It takes away a lot of the human error on the accounting side,” said Melissa Fleischut, president and CEO of the New York State Restaurant a*sociation.

Consumer Affairs defended the enforcement actions: “Cashless businesses isolate the more than 300,000 unbanked households in NYC from making transactions, as well as those who simply choose not to use plastic.”

visit this link https://nypost.com/2021/1 .. accepting-cash
+10   

best
worst
50 comments

2 months ago '20        #2
Blafy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 80434 80 K  Slaps total: 5777 5 K

2 months ago '19        #3
TheKingofClowns 
Props total: 2136 2 K  Slaps total: 227 227
 NeverBeenHereB4 said
if a business pulls that cashless sh*t on me im going down to the old neighborhood, finding a crackhead and bringing him back to sh*t on the floor of said establishment
i only pay cash and its the law you cant refuse it
You better pay that homeless crackhead or he/she ain't doing sh*t.... pun intended
+21   

2 months ago '06        #4
bigkilla  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 38627 38 K  Slaps total: 5426 5 K
If a business wants to stay cashless they should have every right to do that. Let society decide if it'll stay alive.

If people don't frequent it and they lose money with this cashless system I'm sure the business would end up taking cash if it meant going out of business.

They're just worried if it works people will move away from cash and probably into utilizing things like crypto.

It's funny though they attack businesses that do cash only too though.
+10   

2 months ago '14        #5
El Caballero  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 54813 54 K  Slaps total: 4157 4 K
 NeverBeenHereB4 said
if a business pulls that cashless sh*t on me im going down to the old neighborhood, finding a crackhead and bringing him back to sh*t on the floor of said establishment
cash is the least convenient method of paying for sh*t most of the time
I don't use it unless I have to
+14   

2 months ago '15        #6
Baudimore  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 8931 8 K  Slaps total: 3023 3 K
 NeverBeenHereB4 said
Something tells me you have a nice a*s

2 months ago '11        #7
Mitch931 
Props total: 2054 2 K  Slaps total: 435 435
 NeverBeenHereB4 said
But it's mad people out there robbing? Why do you want to carry cash and also subject store owners to being vics. Being a merchant and being double charged for your safety and security sounds like the most ridiculous thing to endure to help the economy.
+1   

2 months ago '04        #8
RETURNOFTHEKING 
Props total: 18700 18 K  Slaps total: 4154 4 K
buy a coin counter and accept coins debit or credit only
+2   

2 months ago '06        #9
bigkilla  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 38627 38 K  Slaps total: 5426 5 K
 Mitch931 said
But it's mad people out there robbing? Why do you want to carry cash and also subject store owners to being vics. Being a merchant and being double charged for your safety and security sounds like the most ridiculous thing to endure to help the economy.
What pissed me off the most out of this and makes me want to do this cashless sh*t was when this story first released they pushed the "cashless is systemic racism"

at that point I'm rooting for the cashless business just because these politicians/protestors/advocates or whatever the fu*k they are using racism to get their sh*t across.

fu*k them.

2 months ago '17        #10
becoolhomie2  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x15
Props total: 16077 16 K  Slaps total: 5376 5 K
Boy gonna show up to pay and ask for they PayPal
+2   

2 months ago '17        #11
bmf24eva  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 21031 21 K  Slaps total: 5624 5 K
chronically unbanked and underbanked

Retard Scrabble..
+1   

2 months ago '05        #12
hustlehard365 
Props total: 3502 3 K  Slaps total: 344 344
 bigkilla said
What pissed me off the most out of this and makes me want to do this cashless sh*t was when this story first released they pushed the "cashless is systemic racism"

at that point I'm rooting for the cashless business just because these politicians/protestors/advocates or whatever the fu*k they are using racism to get their sh*t across.

fu*k them.
it is part of systematic racism... check cashing places in NYC didn't become big business by accident. Banks didn't want to and still don't want to give accounts to certain segments of the population. NYC is a huge city and because of the sh*t just can't change over night like that without it causing massive wave 25% of the population doesn't have a bank account that pretty significant. I personally refuse to shop anywhere that doesn't take cards

2 months ago '21        #13
FleshAxe  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 9314 9 K  Slaps total: 9418 9 K
I pay cash so they can't steal my identity
+9   

2 months ago '15        #14
Baudimore  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 8931 8 K  Slaps total: 3023 3 K
 NeverBeenHereB4 said
not into the fruity sh*t there kevin gaytes but your father would be proud if he knew you
You must be sittin on somethin nice if you gettin that defensive

2 months ago '16        #15
Ghostface Killa  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 31499 31 K  Slaps total: 5468 5 K
Cashless is a problem that most won't understand until it's too late.

I'm actually for this law.
+14   

2 months ago '04        #16
synopsis03|m 
Props total: 1194 1 K  Slaps total: 108 108
 bigkilla said

fu*k them.
not sure where you from but in NY stores force a minimum when using a card so going cashless is a form of systemic oppression to those who are in financial turmoil either make a law that u cant force card minimums or a law that u cant go cashless they chose the latter forcing someone to spend a 25 dollar minimum who's broke and just trying to buy one roll of toilet paper at your bodega is crazy
+5   

2 months ago '17        #17
DNA 
Props total: 337 337  Slaps total: 65 65
Sounds like a reasonable law. They said if the business doesn't do cash then they need some sort of prepaid card system or something that customers can use on-site with no mark-up or charge for the customer. The government just needs to finesse this and provide the cash conversion(for the prepaid cards) system to these businesses while taxing a percentage of those kinds of transactions or issue a flat fee per month to have them at the store. Certain financial institutions could probably develop and implement a system like this as well.
+3   

2 months ago '18        #18
antisocial100 
Props total: 19687 19 K  Slaps total: 5680 5 K
If I’m a business I’m accepting all forms of money. A business saying you don’t accept cash tells me that you’re doing well off if you’re out here denying forms of being paid
+4   

2 months ago '07        #19
iTzMe!  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 5507 5 K  Slaps total: 761 761
 Mitch931 said
It creates a revenue cycle for the city.

2 months ago '07        #20
iTzMe!  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 5507 5 K  Slaps total: 761 761
 antisocial100 said
If I’m a business I’m accepting all forms of money. A business saying you don’t accept cash tells me that you’re doing well off if you’re out here denying forms of being paid
These “cashless” business are just trying to minimize the spread of germs, viruses, by minimizing or getting rid of hand exchange completely.

2 months ago '04        #21
Burym3ag 
Props total: 2802 2 K  Slaps total: 290 290
 iTzMe! said
These “cashless” business are just trying to minimize the spread of germs, viruses, by minimizing or getting rid of hand exchange completely.
you gonna get germs when i come into your store and touch your sh*t that im buying regardless. cash is the least of their worries IMO.
+4   

2 months ago '04        #22
infam0uskills 
Props total: 15564 15 K  Slaps total: 901 901
they do no cash, because they want to keep poor/less fortunate people out their businesses.

stores that accept cash only does it to beat taxes
+1   

2 months ago '05        #23
hbk83 
Props total: 21315 21 K  Slaps total: 4529 4 K
 El Caballero said
cash is the least convenient method of paying for sh*t most of the time
I don't use it unless I have to
People haven’t jumped on technology as fast as the world was hoping.
56% of my customers still use cash. I still can’t understand how that many people still are using cash and not a debit card or some sort of digital pay.
Digital pay is so convenient

2 months ago '21        #24
WindyCitySavage 
Props total: 814 814  Slaps total: 107 107
It's not like NY just rolled up on these n*ggas and started fining them..

They refused to let people pay in cash, then said people snitched on they a*s to the Govt
+3   

2 months ago '14        #25
El Caballero  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 54813 54 K  Slaps total: 4157 4 K
 NeverBeenHereB4 said
businesses still have to accept it
your opinion doesnt change that
no sh*t

I never said otherwise

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  18
I been telling y’all for months that Kanye don’t fu-k with adidas yeezy anymo..
55 comments
2 days ago
@gear
most viewed right now
-46online now  10
Image(s) inside Jan 23 - Atlanta rising Rent Prices
135 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
+62online now  8
Jan 22 - Trying to cover up dating app murder.
207 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
+37online now  4
The DEA probably SAVED HIS LIFE...cause he was FOOD
147 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy