Dec 4 - Black Couple "White Washed" Their House and Gained 500k

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT section news

2 months ago '11        #1
7563 page views
150 comments

GrindPOWER$  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x21
Props total: 81153 81 K  Slaps total: 14655 14 K
Dec 4 - Black Couple "White Washed" Their House and Gained 500k

“We believe the white lady wanted to devalue our property because we are in a Black neighborhood, and the home belonged to a Black family”: Researchers found that owner-occupied homes in majority-Black areas are undervalued by an average $48,000 per home.

Paul Austin thought things were going well when the appraiser came to his Marin City home last January.

The appraiser complimented the views of the San Francisco Bay, and he was sure to point out all the improvements, Austin recalled at an Oct. 13 meeting of a state reparations task force. So he and his wife Tenisha Tate-Austin were shocked when the appraisal valued their home at $995,000 — nearly half-a-million dollars less than another appraisal 10 months earlier.

Sign In
Most Popular
A Black couple ‘erased themselves’ from their home to see if the...
A young California family died while on a hike. Investigation reports...
Bay Area retail theft bust nets $8 million in stolen merchandise from...
Charlotte Shultz, who received a queen, a pope and countless world...
Five omicron cases in East Bay tied to outbreak that began with...
Omicron variant in California: New cases show up in Bay Area
Dungeness crab has quietly reached Bay Area markets and restaurants....
‘You sure it’s the real thing?’ The dramatic story of S.F. scientists’...
Chronicle photographer robbed at gunpoint while on a*signment in West...
Stanford athletics headed ‘down a deep dark path’ warns Varsity...

BAY AREA
A Black couple ‘erased themselves’ from their home to see if the appraised value would go up. It did - by nearly $500,000
Photo of Lauren Hepler
Lauren Hepler
Dec. 3, 2021
Updated: Dec. 3, 2021 7:30 p.m.
Comments
Houses overlook Tam Junction in Mill Valley, Calif., on Wednesday, May 19, 2021. Marin County is the setting for a new fair housing lawsuit that alleges a Black couple’s home was undervalued in the appraisal process because of their race.
Houses overlook Tam Junction in Mill Valley, Calif., on Wednesday, May 19, 2021. Marin County is the setting for a new fair housing lawsuit that alleges a Black couple’s home was undervalued in the appraisal process because of their race.

Scott Strazzante/The Chronicle
Paul Austin thought things were going well when the appraiser came to his Marin City home last January.

The appraiser complimented the views of the San Francisco Bay, and he was sure to point out all the improvements, Austin recalled at an Oct. 13 meeting of a state reparations task force. So he and his wife Tenisha Tate-Austin were shocked when the appraisal valued their home at $995,000 — nearly half-a-million dollars less than another appraisal 10 months earlier.

The couple, who is Black, got a second opinion last February. This time, they asked a white friend named Jan to sit at the kitchen island and pretend to be the homeowner. They also “white-washed” their home by hiding art and family photos. That appraiser said their house was worth $1,482,500.

The $487,500 discrepancy between the two 2020 appraisals pushed the couple to filed a fair housing lawsuit in federal district court this week against appraiser Janette Miller, her appraisal firm Miller and Perotti Real Estate Appraisers, Inc. and national appraisal company AMC Links, LLC. It’s the latest escalation in a series of similar cases of alleged racial bias in the home appraisal process as California property owners move to reap financial gains from record home prices.

“We did our homework,” Austin told the Reparations Task Force in a panel on the racial wealth gap in October. “We believe the white lady wanted to devalue our property because we are in a Black neighborhood, and the home belonged to a Black family.”

Miller’s firm and AMC Links, LLC did not respond to requests for comment.

Researchers at the Brookings Institution have found that owner-occupied homes in majority-Black U.S. neighborhoods are undervalued by an average $48,000 per home, representing some $156 billion in cumulative losses — a dynamic that has prompted calls for policy reform to automate more of the home valuation process and otherwise minimize bias. Some in the appraisal industry, meanwhile, contend that the process is inherently subjective and driven by extreme pressure to increase home values, opening appraisers to unfair personal liability when homeowners disagree with the results.
+79   

best
worst
150 comments

2 months ago '17        #2
92baby 
Props total: 93942 93 K  Slaps total: 12256 12 K
 GrindPOWER$ said
“We believe the white lady wanted to devalue our property because we are in a Black neighborhood, and the home belonged to a Black family”: Researchers found that owner-occupied homes in majority-Black areas are undervalued by an average $48,000 per home.

Sign In
Most Popular
Charlotte Shultz, who received a queen, a pope and countless world...
Five omicron cases in East Bay tied to outbreak that began with...
Omicron variant in California: New cases show up in Bay Area
Dungeness crab has quietly reached Bay Area markets and restaurants....
‘You sure it’s the real thing?’ The dramatic story of S.F. scientists’...
Chronicle photographer robbed at gunpoint while on a*signment in West...
Stanford athletics headed ‘down a deep dark path’ warns Varsity...

BAY AREA
A Black couple ‘erased themselves’ from their home to see if the appraised value would go up. It did - by nearly $500,000
Photo of Lauren Hepler
Lauren Hepler
Dec. 3, 2021
Updated: Dec. 3, 2021 7:30 p.m.
Comments

Scott Strazzante/The Chronicle

The couple, who is Black, got a second opinion last February. This time, they asked a white friend named Jan to sit at the kitchen island and pretend to be the homeowner. They also “white-washed” their home by hiding art and family photos. That appraiser said their house was worth $1,482,500.

The $487,500 discrepancy between the two 2020 appraisals pushed the couple to filed a fair housing lawsuit in federal district court this week against appraiser Janette Miller, her appraisal firm Miller and Perotti Real Estate Appraisers, Inc. and national appraisal company AMC Links, LLC. It’s the latest escalation in a series of similar cases of alleged racial bias in the home appraisal process as California property owners move to reap financial gains from record home prices.

“We did our homework,” Austin told the Reparations Task Force in a panel on the racial wealth gap in October. “We believe the white lady wanted to devalue our property because we are in a Black neighborhood, and the home belonged to a Black family.”

Miller’s firm and AMC Links, LLC did not respond to requests for comment.

Researchers at the Brookings Institution have found that owner-occupied homes in majority-Black U.S. neighborhoods are undervalued by an average $48,000 per home, representing some $156 billion in cumulative losses — a dynamic that has prompted calls for policy reform to automate more of the home valuation process and otherwise minimize bias. Some in the appraisal industry, meanwhile, contend that the process is inherently subjective and driven by extreme pressure to increase home values, opening appraisers to unfair personal liability when homeowners disagree with the results.
I read about sh*t like this years ago

A black couple had African art all around their crib

With their family pics up and B were undervalued a lot

They switched up and white washed their place and like magic

They’re value went through the roof

sh*t so bad mutha fu*kas sub conscious don’t value you as much as they’ll value something not black

But let odd job tell it I’m toxic

These dudes Act like sh*t like this don’t exist

It makes perfect sense if they don’t want you living by them
Anyway
+123   

2 months ago '08        #3
cohs  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x11
Props total: 54015 54 K  Slaps total: 2991 2 K

It happens a lot.
+40   

2 months ago '20        #4
Xiox  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 48493 48 K  Slaps total: 8924 8 K
Every aspect of society is geared to screw the negro over
+157   

2 months ago '05        #5
bklyn 
Props total: 5092 5 K  Slaps total: 2612 2 K
Thats an interesting lawsuit. Cant wait to see the outcome! Hope they win. Half a mill difference is some BS
+51   

2 months ago '06        #6
bigkilla  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 38741 38 K  Slaps total: 5439 5 K
Did anyone else see this and get thrown off?

Saw that and was like
+43   

2 months ago '17        #7
BX BlackBelt  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x12
Props total: 42236 42 K  Slaps total: 18316 18 K
fu*k yea just what BX needed another race baiting thread

2 months ago '12        #8
Quasi 
Props total: 5810 5 K  Slaps total: 461 461

@20:25

Last edited by Quasi; 12-04-2021 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: Timestamp
+17   

2 months ago '17        #9
TheLastNonEarth  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x20
Props total: 121511 121 K  Slaps total: 15355 15 K
There's definitely both conscious and subconscious discrimination going on in the world. I'd like to think most of it is subconscious but I honestly don't know.

You try to ignore it, then you see hear about sh*t this and you're like

I was listening to sports radio one day, and I thought dude was bullsh*tting until I looked it up. Black pitchers actually get more wrong strike calls then white ones, and much more.

I also think people--- especially men give a pass to women, and pretty women in particular for any of the fu*ksh*t they pull off.
+42   

2 months ago '04        #10
datboy|e 
Props total: 18657 18 K  Slaps total: 6515 6 K
An appraisal is the opinion of 1 individual. These days it’s checking boxes.

2 months ago '19        #11
jlem 
Props total: 10512 10 K  Slaps total: 320 320
This is real. We sold our first home 2 years ago and the appraisal values were fairly consistent. Within 500-1000 dollar difference.

However, this one realtor who was helping her clients view the homes was on some BS once I pulled up to the house because the potential buyers had some questions that only I could answer as my wife was in court for trial.

I had just purchased my Jag and when I pulled up the realtor clearly didn't expect to see a black man get out of the car.

The buying couple were white and in their late 20's early 30's. Really good people and they loved the house.

Turns out the realtor told them the house wasn't worth the asking price.

We had multiple offers all of them over asking. We ended selling to an Air Force vet a day or two later.

The couple called our realtor and wanted the house but were told it was already under contract. From my understanding they were pissed with their realtor and fired her a*s.

I'm not the type that sees racism around every corner but that was clearly some biased a*s sh*t.

Some folks don't want you to win. Whether it's an appraiser or realtor showing your home.

+79   

2 months ago '07        #12
young mad 
Props total: 27181 27 K  Slaps total: 1453 1 K
Systemic racism exhibit 1 billion and 1
+49   

2 months ago '16        #13
kuul  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x11
Props total: 109328 109 K  Slaps total: 12137 12 K
Ive heard of people putting the wrong number of bedrooms and everything. Seems like if you get caught doin this you should be shot.
+10   

2 months ago '18        #14
ChrisPartlowFro 
Props total: 35852 35 K  Slaps total: 4375 4 K
Joe Berrios did this sh*t as a rule in Crook County.
+1   

2 months ago '15        #15
Lockwind 
Props total: 3364 3 K  Slaps total: 1958 1 K
But but white privilege doesn’t exist
+31   

2 months ago '17        #16
92baby 
Props total: 93942 93 K  Slaps total: 12256 12 K
@

Why you delete your comment

It was honest

2 months ago '19        #17
Tuff 
Props total: 3220 3 K  Slaps total: 429 429
So am I the only person who saw something similar on the last og
+3   

2 months ago '15        #18
SmokinBigDope  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 16818 16 K  Slaps total: 2974 2 K
even Uber does this its been dubbed the negro tax by some scholar guy.

+3   

2 months ago '15        #19
DamianDragunov 
Props total: 64071 64 K  Slaps total: 9422 9 K
 jlem said
This is real. We sold our first home 2 years ago and the appraisal values were fairly consistent. Within 500-1000 dollar difference.

However, this one realtor who was helping her clients view the homes was on some BS once I pulled up to the house because the potential buyers had some questions that only I could answer as my wife was in court for trial.

I had just purchased my Jag and when I pulled up the realtor clearly didn't expect to see a black man get out of the car.

The buying couple were white and in their late 20's early 30's. Really good people and they loved the house.

We had multiple offers all of them over asking. We ended selling to an Air Force vet a day or two later.

The couple called our realtor and wanted the house but were told it was already under contract. From my understanding they were pissed with their realtor and fired her a*s.

I'm not the type that sees racism around every corner but that was clearly some biased a*s sh*t.

Some folks don't want you to win. Whether it's an appraiser or realtor showing your home.

Doesn’t the realtor get a percentage of the sale?
Why would she push them to pay less when her percentage would be more if they pay more?
+1   

2 months ago '06        #20
OJ's_sword 
Props total: 2366 2 K  Slaps total: 71 71
 jlem said

That's some real hate right there, screwed herself (commission) and client just cause she didn't want yall to eat? Smh!
+8   

2 months ago '15        #21
acb814 
Props total: 3541 3 K  Slaps total: 295 295
 BX BlackBelt said

Systemic racism relies on people like this so when systemic racism gets called out the people who point it out are now called the race baiters and made out to be racist for calling out racist tactics. Weird peoples deceptiveness never ends.
+27   

2 months ago '20        #22
Xiox  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 48493 48 K  Slaps total: 8924 8 K

+1   

2 months ago '19        #23
jlem 
Props total: 10512 10 K  Slaps total: 320 320
 OJ's_sword said
That's some real hate right there, screwed herself (commission) and client just cause she didn't want yall to eat? Smh!
It's a dirty game out there and the worst part is that too many of us don't even know it's being played.

+10   

2 months ago '20        #24
Pinkythegreat 
Props total: 347 347  Slaps total: 102 102
 BX BlackBelt said

I wish it wasn’t viewed as such… it’s not really race baiting as much as it’s an informational piece/ article about something that appeared to be unjust….

Now, objectively speaking… when this couple goes to court they must prove that there was racism / bias involved
+3   

Top 10 most propped recently  2 months ago '16        #25
Scully  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x12
Props total: 23084 23 K  Slaps total: 12053 12 K
 BX BlackBelt said

Go be white and proud on Reddit bruh. Nobody forcing you to be here
+20   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+76online now  18
Kelce ignores the call play and tell Mahomes that hes running his own rout..
83 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+206online now  16
Video inside Be Careful What You Ask For
65 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+45online now  13
NY Times Article on Alpo: He Was in Witness Protection, But His Harlem Life Ke..
153 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  13
Image(s) inside Game calls out TI, Funk Flex & Ebro for their top 50 rappers lists the..
170 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy