Dec 2 - Google Removes Pirate Bay Domains from Search Results Citing Dutch Court Order

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT
most viewed right now
+39  129
53 replies  @movies

most viewed right now
34 replies  @sports

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

2 months ago '08        #1
1193 page views
33 comments

cohs  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x11
Props total: 54014 54 K  Slaps total: 2991 2 K
Dec 2 - Google Removes Pirate Bay Domains from Search Results Citing Dutch Court Order

Google has removed The Pirate Bay and more than 100 related domains from its search results in the Netherlands. The search engine points to a local pirate site-blocking order that was forwarded by anti-piracy group BREIN. The order targets ISPs and doesn't name Google but the company chose to voluntarily comply.

google pirate bayWhile search engines are extremely helpful for the average Internet user, copyright holders also see a massive downside.

The fact that infringing sites show up in search results has become a source of frustration and Google has been asked to “do more” on several occasions.

In recent years the search engine has stepped up its anti-piracy game significantly. Among other things, Google actively demotes known pirate sites in its search results.

Some copyright holders suggested that removing these domains entirely would be a better option but Google repeatedly refused to do so. According to the company, this would prove counterproductive and lead to overbroad censorship.

Google Removes Pirate Bay Domain

With these earlier comments in mind, it’s surprising to see that Google has removed all search results for Pirate Bay’s main domain name for users with a Dutch IP address.

Searching specifically for thepiratebay.org URLs with the ‘site:’ command returns zero results. “Your search – site:thepiratebay.org – did not match any documents,” Google notes.

No Results…

In addition to the main Pirate Bay domain, the ‘Dutch’ results of more than 100 proxy and mirror sites were removed as well. This includes tpb.wtf, lepiratebay.org, openpirate.cc, and officialpiratebay.com.

The Dutch results stand in stark contrast to those elsewhere in the world, where the same query returns tens of thousands of URLs. Apparently, Google is treating Dutch searches differently.

BREIN Sent Blocking Order to Google

The reason for this broad removal is provided by Google itself. The search giant notes that the results were removed in response to a legal request. This ‘request‘ came from local anti-piracy group BREIN and includes a copy of a Dutch site-blocking order.

The order, issued in October last year, required Dutch ISPs Ziggo, KPN, and XS4ALL to block access to Pirate Bay mirrors and proxy sites. Google isn’t listed as a party in this lawsuit, but a copy was sent to the search engine nonetheless.

BREIN’s request, at least the part that’s available publicly, doesn’t explain why it would apply to Google. However, BREIN informs us that it’s not uncommon for Internet services to comply with orders that don’t target them directly.

Unique but Voluntary Removal

A few weeks ago, Dutch ISPs agreed to a covenant where they promise to comply with site-blocking orders that are targeted at other ISPs. While Google is not part of this agreement, in this case it chose to follow the court order.

“In essence, this is the same situation as recently agreed in the Dutch government-supported covenant between right holders and internet access providers,” BREIN director Tim Kuik informs TorrentFreak.

“Dutch case law also shows that once there is a contested court order against one access provider, courts do grant the same order against others if they refuse to conform to it even though they are not named in it.”

According to BREIN, Google is not the first party to follow such a court order without being targeted directly. The anti-piracy group further says that future updates to the blocklist will be circulated to all parties, Google included.

As far as we know, this is the first time that Google has complied with a pirate site blocking order without being named. We reached out to Google asking for a comment, but the company didn’t immediately respond.

Meanwhile, BREIN will continue its blocking efforts. The anti-piracy outfit has submitted the legal paperwork to block six additional pirate sites, including their proxies and mirrors. When the court requires ISPs to block these sites, Google may choose to follow suit again.

visit this link https://torrentfreak.com/ .. -order-211130/

Last edited by cohs; 12-02-2021 at 05:55 PM..
+2   

best
worst
33 comments

2 months ago '08        #2
cohs  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x11 OP
In high school you was the man homie
+21   

2 months ago '06        #3
cleavon15  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 4044 4 K  Slaps total: 749 749
 cohs said
Haven’t used that sh*t in years!!!

+16   

2 months ago '17        #4
QdobaCasanova 
Props total: 55263 55 K  Slaps total: 11921 11 K
Someone dm me the good torrent sites ty ;^]
+10   

2 months ago '17        #5
becoolhomie2  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x14
Props total: 15867 15 K  Slaps total: 5357 5 K
I didn’t know pb was still running
+7   

2 months ago '21        #6
JayMurdoch  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 19448 19 K  Slaps total: 3320 3 K
people still use google?

+3   

2 months ago '12        #7
OldBusiness  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 191290 191 K  Slaps total: 11209 11 K
 QdobaCasanova said
Someone dm me the good torrent sites ty ;^]

Remove the spaces
+11   

2 months ago '06        #8
cleavon15  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 4044 4 K  Slaps total: 749 749
 becoolhomie2 said
I got off the first time they came for them. These n*ggas like roaches.

2 months ago '19        #9
GetYaCoinsKing  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 52885 52 K  Slaps total: 8777 8 K
Who even uses Google for anything more than directions/places near them and news lol, Everything else its DDG.
+3   

2 months ago '20        #10
hasdrubal 
Props total: 4715 4 K  Slaps total: 750 750
feds did a sweep… I remember when they k*lled kat for good

piratebay was all a n*gga had left

+8   

2 months ago '11        #11
awww  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 57901 57 K  Slaps total: 41531 41 K
they removing it like dont nobody know the url already. plus they been tryna k*ll pirate bay for years!!! they have proxies multiple so they can keep trying i guess
+2   

2 months ago '18        #12
set117  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 21732 21 K  Slaps total: 2598 2 K
 hasdrubal said
feds did a sweep… I remember when they k*lled kat for good

piratebay was all a n*gga had left

Google "top torrent sites" lol
+3   

2 months ago '10        #13
Chiyosuke 
Props total: 15518 15 K  Slaps total: 809 809
 becoolhomie2 said
Good that you didn't. Only go there if you're begging to be phished or backdoored (nh) in some form or fashion.
+2   

2 months ago '05        #14
bqstudios  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 21500 21 K  Slaps total: 3358 3 K
 GetYaCoinsKing said
Who even uses Google for anything more than directions/places near them and news lol, Everything else its DDG.
Literally everybody uses google.
Ever heard of the saying. "Do ya Googles" its pretty popular
+1   

2 months ago '21        #15
BigGVD 
Props total: 6635 6 K  Slaps total: 1141 1 K
I just used it today for the first time in years , I searched it on bing tho. Default browser for edge
+2   

2 months ago '07        #16
Blaksentinel 
Props total: 5543 5 K  Slaps total: 189 189
If only they could attack bots like that
+2   

2 months ago '16        #17
foshoVoodoo  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x58
Props total: 126596 126 K  Slaps total: 25293 25 K
nuke the dutch
+1   

2 months ago '05        #18
Daddy Black 
Props total: 15086 15 K  Slaps total: 1336 1 K
PB still flowin. Used it last week. Sometimes it’s quicker to dl what you want instead of fiddling with the Kodi bullsh*t.
+5   

2 months ago '18        #19
Mr Tibbs 
Props total: 27291 27 K  Slaps total: 2650 2 K
 cohs said
+2   

2 months ago '19        #20
GetYaCoinsKing  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 52885 52 K  Slaps total: 8777 8 K
 bqstudios said
Literally everybody uses google.
Ever heard of the saying. "Do ya Googles" its pretty popular
Meh anything obscure that requires research i go to DDG, Google is good for the basics ie; finding places near me, shopping etc. but their algorithm is sh*t and will often hide the best links and place them in the back pages.

You can't even look up an episode of anything without getting slapped with filtered search results.
+3   

2 months ago '21        #21
AutoMaximus 
Props total: 273 273  Slaps total: 47 47
Good Ole piratebay bring back memories. Used to be downloading all the Xbox games to play on my modded Xbox 360. Fu"ked around and got banned for playing call of duty modern warfare before the release date..
+2   

2 months ago '18        #22
Pastor Ra  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x25
Props total: 59585 59 K  Slaps total: 12858 12 K
Been saying it since 08. These companies sick of people getting sh*t for free, but all they can do is get rid of small sh*t and make it hard for casuals who don't know the internet that well.

Get rid of a Putlocker, another site with crisp videos takes it's place. Almost all music, film and TV is free. They can't k*ll it.

With streaming, a lot of entertainment has become to be bout quantity over quality. Not everybody a sucker n trying to pay for all of that. Nothing better than the life of a broke boy>>>>>>

2 months ago '11        #23
Ahhhsit 
Props total: 1376 1 K  Slaps total: 136 136
 GetYaCoinsKing said
I'm trying to figure out what the fu*k DDG is instead of him using fu*king acronyms
+1   

2 months ago '21        #24
Fras 
Props total: 6350 6 K  Slaps total: 5922 5 K
Pirate Bay cannot be k*lled. lol.
+3   

2 months ago '08        #25
cohs  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x11 OP
 Ahhhsit said
I'm trying to figure out what the fu*k DDG is instead of him using fu*king acronyms

+3   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+83online now  34
Image(s) inside New Coat Just Arrived!!
152 comments
20 hours ago
@gear
most viewed right now
+70online now  33
Be careful renting financed or leased cars on TURO *Repo*