Raekwon Says RZA Rejected A Wu-Tang Biopic Involving Leonardo DiCaprio

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
160 replies  @sports

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section hiphop

2 months ago '18        #1
1609 page views
61 comments

Eclectic  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x133
Props total: 156017 156 K  Slaps total: 6456 6 K
Raekwon Says RZA Rejected A Wu-Tang Biopic Involving Leonardo DiCaprio

"Raekwon released his new memoir From Staircase to Stage: The Story of Raekwon and Wu-Tang Clan on Tuesday (November 30). In an excerpt published by Rolling Stone, he explained that the success of N.W.A’s Straight Outta Compton biopic wanted him to have Wu-Tang Clan’s story told on the big screen, but RZA had other plans.

Through A Tribe Called Quest’s Q-Tip, Raekwon met up with Leonardo DiCaprio at a pizza spot in Brooklyn to discuss making a film.

“We had a great time, eating pizza, telling stories, laughing and sh*t,” he explained. “Then we started talking about the possibility of a Wu-Tang movie and I told Leo I’d love to see him play a role in it, anything he wanted to do. He talked about his production company and all the directors he thought might do a great job — and these were big names and people he’d worked with.

“He was super open to the idea, and after that meal, he had his production company executives reach out to me. We took it to the next level with them. They were very interested, so we got the ball rolling, talking real numbers, with the goal of an even bigger release than Straight Outta Compton.”

ig_rid=0400f3bd-f21d-47eb-b793-75c5d46b6859
Raekwon couldn’t wait to “blow RZA’s mind” with the news that DiCaprio was ready to raise all the money for a movie — just as long as every Wu-Tang member was on board. RZA agreed to meet with executives, but Raekwon says he looked uncomfortable from the get-go.

“I’ve known the guy for years and seen him act all kinds of ways, and in that moment, I saw him playing a role,” he said. “He sat there, taking it in, watching to see how far I could get. At the end of the meeting, without emotion, he just said, ‘Okay, I’ll get back to you,’ and Leo’s people left. I sat there with my index finger to my temple, elbow on my armrest, leaning back in the chair, staring at him.”

Raekwon tried to explain to RZA how big of an opportunity he felt it was and thought they left the conversation on a positive note. They ended up setting up another meeting that could potentially close the deal, but he sensed RZA’s attitude had changed.

“He barely said anything and seemed to be going through the motions, nothing more,” Raekwon said. “I could tell he wasn’t going to agree to do it, and my instincts told me why: my guess is that he was already in bed with a production company, deep into developing the scripted series for TV, even though none of us had signed off on it.”

RZA apparently argued a series would be a better way to tell their story, that it would be around longer and that streaming was the way to go rather than movie theaters. On the other hand, Raekwon had his heart set on a Leonardo DiCaprio-backed film.

“There ain’t no way Hollywood’s biggest talent going to sign up for a Wu-Tang TV show,” he told RZA. “But a major motion picture produced by Leo with a top-tier director? Yeah, that they might do. So stop frontin’.”

Raekwon admits he had tears in his eyes after leaving RZA that day, knowing that any potential deal was off the cards.

“This bullsh*t hurt my feelings because it proved to me that he’d already counted me out before I began,” he said. “He didn’t think I could bring that kind of power to the table, but I’d gotten them there, all ready to rock and roll. They were excited and connected, so with the snap of a finger they could have gotten the ball rolling for real.”

visit this link https://hiphopdx.com/news .. nardo-dicaprio

@youngmic @Knowledgeable @Chris444 @Ron Swanson @Kyu @Bidam7 @True School 2 @hardcore bastad @talkofny2k4 @WaveForLife2 @Avon_Barksdale @EastAfrican @MightyHealthy2 @Taree @Naga Sadow @drose1985 @Two 40 Shorty @O1as @ChampD1012 @Redrum741 @BobbiHeadRagTop @4evaabso @Cutty Olds @rello99 @PROV @jigga_benjamin @ol natl 44+ @BathWaterMelody @InfamousJ @Bill Wallace @SPdaGOAT @stealthm91 @consigliereA @Shhon @TrillestTalk404 @BangEm904 @OGpremo @victorious187 @Pretty Tone @Alessandro88 @GrgeClrk @Okka @dacoolestg @ThunnLanguage @Nahmeanuheard @Prodigital SC @BaseWhitaker @DeadleeThreat @Beach city @Leatherfacefr @servesurite @problym_chyld04 @Badnewz100 @AndyMuller @MiNimE3 @Bklynzfinest @sauvies @NVious @NAKHI ALLAH @GorillaGlue @Real @jet fuel @D-Clutch @2MuchSauce @smokeytheblunt2 @LordChaos @Sucka Repellent @B Dotel @ice wolf

Last edited by Eclectic; 12-02-2021 at 03:01 PM..
+17   

best
worst
61 comments

2 months ago '13        #2
THEDONN  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 120295 120 K  Slaps total: 49190 49 K
Rza knows best

2 months ago '20        #3
Mysticman  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x23
Props total: 51913 51 K  Slaps total: 16302 16 K
 THEDONN said
Rza knows best

leodatass? Wanna tell us something?

2 months ago '04        #4
Joe Scumbag 
Props total: 12858 12 K  Slaps total: 526 526
Leo as Steve Rifkind
+17   

2 months ago '04        #5
BackBlock_OG 
Props total: 2750 2 K  Slaps total: 268 268
"Keep them scaly, Isrealis away from the clan..." - RZA
+16   

2 months ago '15        #6
MULVTTX 
Props total: 15446 15 K  Slaps total: 1118 1 K
Leo as Method Man to follow up his role as Jim Jones

+42   

2 months ago '16        #7
foshoVoodoo  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x58
Props total: 127194 127 K  Slaps total: 25388 25 K

+6   

2 months ago '15        #8
g0dfather  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 30431 30 K  Slaps total: 8256 8 K
Probly a a cap and if yes he agreed to be one of the producers they would've filmed it tomorrow if he gonna show up in the movie

2 months ago '10        #9
Black Excellence  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 74482 74 K  Slaps total: 7695 7 K
Terrible move, Rae was right.
+3   

2 months ago '21        #10
Tlatoani  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 18004 18 K  Slaps total: 4689 4 K
Bong bong
+3   

2 months ago '04        #11
jeehtoven 
Props total: 1160 1 K  Slaps total: 227 227

2 months ago '16        #12
Boogie1790  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 64472 64 K  Slaps total: 10186 10 K
 Joe Scumbag said
Leo as Steve Rifkind
I wanna see him play capo in that bi*ch
+2   

2 months ago '07        #13
Sincere730  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 71496 71 K  Slaps total: 7526 7 K
im wit RZA here

tv show series >>> a movie
+21   

2 months ago '11        #14
Sinamatik CFR  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 56530 56 K  Slaps total: 5818 5 K
Rae probably told Leo he could play Remedy, RZA probably wanted Leo to play Cilvaringz instead...
+1   

2 months ago '21        #15
Onyx Veneers  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 3247 3 K  Slaps total: 1153 1 K
Rza made questionable decisions
+8   

2 months ago '04        #16
KingsmenXV 
Props total: 818 818  Slaps total: 36 36
I believe RZA was right on the series move... that movie sh*t would've been a Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO Max special after finally getting the ball rolliing, and the success of N.W.A.'s movie was 6 years ago, and sh*t HAS CHANGED since 2015, especially with how we consume entertainment
+16   

2 months ago '21        #17
Young Defiant  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x15
Props total: 12116 12 K  Slaps total: 23950 23 K
they should've let dicaprio do it....
+6   

2 months ago '11        #18
Tony Franks  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 31587 31 K  Slaps total: 4434 4 K
Damn Rae. I feel you, but I believe RZA was right. Dont wanna do the same exact thing NWA did, even with Leo on board. The show is awesome and you get to tell a full story instead of cramming 5 years of grinding into a 90 minute movie.
+17   

2 months ago '11        #19
kevin boogz  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 34553 34 K  Slaps total: 1795 1 K
Rza was right. First of all it would be all about Leo instead of the group. Also the story is too big to just tell in a movie. sh*t the story is too much now even for the show.
+13   

2 months ago '17        #20
Pretty Tone 
Props total: 53127 53 K  Slaps total: 4333 4 K
 kevin boogz said
Rza was right. First of all it would be all about Leo instead of the group. Also the story is too big to just tell in a movie. sh*t the story is too much now even for the show.
Came to say this
+2   

2 months ago '17        #21
TrillestTalk404  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 59864 59 K  Slaps total: 9171 9 K
 Sincere730 said
im wit RZA here

I agree. And if you noticed with the show that ALL of the Wu are consultants and producers on it. Ain't no way they would have gotten that with the movie. But alot of Wu fans really hate RZA based off different stories from Wu members and cause they hate his brother Divine, so Rae book just gone make them hate RZA even more. From the Wu documentary I actually gained much more respect for RZA tho. He don't get the credit he deserves for all he's done for the Clan
+9   

2 months ago '17        #22
YeahSo 
Props total: 2045 2 K  Slaps total: 314 314
 Sincere730 said
im wit RZA here

I agree, story is too large for just one movie.

Based on the way we consume media now, a successful TV show can last at least five years, maybe more in the public consciousness, especially with spin-offs. Look at Insecure, look at Atlanta, look at Black-ish.

Rae’s move wasn’t light by any stretch, but it was short-sighted
+4   

2 months ago '13        #23
DiegoRivera  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x16
Props total: 72847 72 K  Slaps total: 5575 5 K
Leo really be chilling with all the goat rappers, more than I ever see him just hanging out with actors
+4   

2 months ago '17        #24
92baby 
Props total: 93535 93 K  Slaps total: 12203 12 K
 DiegoRivera said
Leo really be chilling with all the goat rappers, more than I ever see him just hanging out with actors
Leo might be one of those dudes that hang out and can hang out with anybody

Wasn’t Jeff bezos wife just on his d*ck?

Leo need to sit down and write his bio pic

Titanic alone made this n*gga a legend to me
+7   

2 months ago '12        #25
kiddalex  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 17819 17 K  Slaps total: 1517 1 K
 kevin boogz said
 Pretty Tone said
Came to say this
The articles pretty vague on Leo's involvement but it reads like Leo wanted to produce the movie with his production company not play Inspectah Deck or something.
+4   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+97online now  24
Article inside From now on here when people respond with “Buy The Dip”…
113 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+45online now  5
[Workout] I Can't Believe How Strong She Is...
83 comments
2 days ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+54online now  5
Dude was minding his own business working out with his girl and then this happ..
220 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+114online now  3
Video inside He quit LMFAO. IM WEAK!
58 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy