HBO reportedly spent 'over $30 million' on failed 'Game of Thrones' spin-off pilot

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tv / movies

2 months ago '18        #1
3585 page views
53 comments

Eclectic  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x133
Props total: 154844 154 K  Slaps total: 6446 6 K
HBO reportedly spent 'over $30 million' on failed 'Game of Thrones' spin-off pilot

"Though it never officially had a title, the first Game of Thrones spin-off developed by the network had some big names attached — in addition to Watts, the show would also have featured S.J. Clarkson as director and Jane Goldman as showrunner — and an interesting premise. This prequel would have been set thousands of years before Game of Thrones, and would have involved the distant ancestors of noble families like the Starks and Lannisters — but it would not have included dragons, since it would have predated House Targaryen's arrival in Westeros. Author George R.R. Martin had suggested The Long Night as a possible title, but that phrase was instead used as the episode title for the final season's epic battle at Winterfell.

On the same day news broke that the series was not moving forward, HBO confirmed that it was giving a full series order to House of the Dragon, a prequel set much closer in time to Game of Thrones about the dragon-filled civil war in House Targaryen. Unlike the Watts show, House of the Dragon has direct source material in the form of Martin's 2018 book Fire & Blood. But according to former WarnerMedia chairman Bob Greenblatt in Tinderbox, that wasn't the only reason HBO chose the latter over the former.

"They had spent over $30 million on a Game of Thrones prequel pilot when I got there," Greenblatt says in Miller's book. "And when I saw a cut of it in a few months after I arrived, I said to [HBO chief content officer] Casey [Bloys], 'this just doesn't work and I don't think it delivers on the premise of the original series.' And he didn't disagree, which actually was a relief. So we unfortunately decided to pull the plug on it. There was enormous pressure to get it right and I don't think it would have worked."

HBO did not immediately respond to EW's request for comment.

One purported reason House of the Dragon was ordered directly to series was to avoid another costly failed pilot, a decision Greenblatt takes credit for in the book: "I'm the one who encouraged Casey to green-light it to series. I said, 'let's not risk $30 million on a pilot.' You can't spend $30 million on a pilot and then not pick it up. So I said, 'let's not make a pilot. Let's get a great series that we feel good about, and just make it. Or not.' They made the first pilot because they were protecting their own downside and protecting that brand, which I understand, but it was critical that we somehow continue that franchise and move quickly, which meant getting the series into production asap. That's always a nail-biter, but I think the new show that is coming will be incredible."

Westeros fans should rest a*sured that House of the Dragon is not necessarily the be-all and end-all of Game of Thrones spin-offs. Though the dramatization of the Dance of the Dragons is currently the only one greenlit, as recently as this past March the network was reportedly developing shows about the seafarer Corlys Velaryon (a.k.a the Sea Snake, a character who will be played by Steve Toussaint in House of the Dragon, which is set in the later years of his life), the legendary warrior Princess Nymeria (namesake of Arya Stark's direwolf), and the poor residents of Flea Bottom, among others."

visit this link https://ew.com/tv/hbo-spe .. rones-prequel/
+6   

best
worst
53 comments

2 months ago '14        #2
Aries  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x15
Props total: 58863 58 K  Slaps total: 7305 7 K
I wanna see how bad the pilot was...

Also makes me wonder if there is some great show pilots out there that were never released to the public for whatever reasons

Last edited by Aries; 12-01-2021 at 05:24 PM..
+40   

2 months ago '11        #3
rbarber1234 
Props total: 7965 7 K  Slaps total: 1076 1 K
I'm rewatching GoT right now. I love it but knowing how it ends is kind of a bummer but it's all good. Looking forward to this new one
+40   

2 months ago '18        #4
SofaSniper718 
Props total: 339 339  Slaps total: 49 49
 Aries said

Also makes me wonder if there is some great show pilots out there that were never released to the public for whatever reasons
Tons of them.

There’s this dude who comes to comic cons n he has all these tapes n DVD’s of failed or unseen pilots
+19   

2 months ago '14        #5
 SofaSniper718 said
Tons of them.

There’s this dude who comes to comic cons n he has all these tapes n DVD’s of failed or unseen pilots
Somebody needs to ask him to get that GOT pilot then
+7   

2 months ago '18        #6
mushrooms 
Props total: 5205 5 K  Slaps total: 622 622
 SofaSniper718 said
Tons of them.

Any links ?
+5   

2 months ago '20        #7
SoufPawEd 
Props total: 1474 1 K  Slaps total: 347 347
Wait it thought the first spin off title was House of Dragon? There’s a trailer and everything for it
+3   

2 months ago '12        #8
iamsweets 
Props total: 10819 10 K  Slaps total: 846 846
 Aries said

There's 100s if not thousands of pilots that are not picked up and have never seen the light of day. Pilot season starts in January
+6   

2 months ago '14        #9
 SoufPawEd said
Wait it thought the first spin off title was House of Dragon? There’s a trailer and everything for it
Apparently HBO was working on a different spin-off series before they scrapped it...

I wish they would've scrapped the last 2 seasons of GOT

Last edited by Aries; 12-02-2021 at 07:33 PM..
+8   

2 months ago '14        #10
 iamsweets said
There's 100s if not thousands of pilots that are not picked up and have never seen the light of day. Pilot season starts in January
I understand that and I'm sure there's some hidden gems out of those thousands...
+3   

2 months ago '20        #11
SoufPawEd 
Props total: 1474 1 K  Slaps total: 347 347
 Aries said
Apparently they working on different spin-off series before they scrapped it...

I wish they would've scrapped season 8 of Thrones
They should do a Snyder cut like they did with the justice league movie 😆
+6   

2 months ago '14        #12
 SoufPawEd said
They should do a Snyder cut like they did with the justice league movie 😆
+3   

2 months ago '04        #13
nwking  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 25098 25 K  Slaps total: 2844 2 K
Just think they could have made GOT movie for 50-75mil instead of the mess of the last 3 episode of GOT
+10   

2 months ago '16        #14
Forza Nocta  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x22
Props total: 41153 41 K  Slaps total: 8646 8 K
 rbarber1234 said
I'm rewatching GoT right now. I love it but knowing how it ends is kind of a bummer but it's all good. Looking forward to this new one
This is a major reason why I haven't bothered to peep it since. Also I just don't have the time to go through all those episodes again lmao
+6   

2 months ago '17        #15
SPdaGOAT  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 92575 92 K  Slaps total: 34224 34 K
It’s crazy how completely over I am of this show considering how amazing I think the first 4 seasons are.

Biggest flop in television history
+13   

2 months ago '04        #16
x Tha Arkitek x  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 21717 21 K  Slaps total: 2996 2 K
There's a reason AT&T is trying to unload WarnerMedia/HBOMax and DirectTV....they have no idea what to do with them.
+3   

2 months ago '18        #17
dogfood2 
Props total: 21591 21 K  Slaps total: 13512 13 K
Only losers and nerds watch that sh*t. Real n*ggas still rewatching sopranos and the wire.

2 months ago '07        #18
KeepinItTrill 
Props total: 74057 74 K  Slaps total: 4753 4 K
 SoufPawEd said
it was set like 10k? years in the past starring Naomi Watts

2 months ago '05        #19
therealmtg 
Props total: 380 380  Slaps total: 43 43
Hell they scrapped the original game of thrones pilot and that cost 10 mil. Only a few scenes remained in the pilot that aired. So hbo was willing to throw away 10 mil on a show that had no television fan base yet dropping 30 is nothing if they’re expecting GOT fan base to support the spin off and better to call it now then 2 and a half seasons in when the cost becomes close to 100 mil

2 months ago '05        #20
therealmtg 
 rbarber1234 said
I think the worst part was they had me tricked the first couple episodes in the last season. The first was pretty good and the second was the best episode they did since season 6 then….
+2   

2 months ago '04        #21
xbossxplayax 
Props total: 19366 19 K  Slaps total: 3836 3 K
ending the original series on some bs like that left more ppl walking away from anything GoT related for good than ppl yearning for another stab at it
+4   

2 months ago '05        #22
therealmtg 
 dogfood2 said
Only losers and nerds watch that sh*t. Real n*ggas still rewatching sopranos and the wire.
I never understood the point on sh*tting on something people like. Telling people that something they generally enjoy watching makes them nerds is kind of a sh*tty thing to do. And if your doing it just to big up those two shows then that makes it even more wrong it’s well known that the wire and sopranos are on the Mount Rushmore of tv you definitely don’t need to bring GOT down to bring them up.
+4   

2 months ago '18        #23
dogfood2 
Props total: 21591 21 K  Slaps total: 13512 13 K
 therealmtg said
I never understood the point on sh*tting on something people like. Telling people that something they generally enjoy watching makes them nerds is kind of a sh*tty thing to do. And if your doing it just to big up those two shows then that makes it even more wrong it’s well known that the wire and sopranos are on the Mount Rushmore of tv you definitely don’t need to bring GOT down to bring them up.
n*gga go take a nap.

2 months ago '17        #24
LostTenets  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x47
Props total: 106009 106 K  Slaps total: 31310 31 K
HBO not tripping over 30 mill
+4   

2 months ago '16        #25
MrCiiNeMa 
Props total: 3348 3 K  Slaps total: 597 597
 SoufPawEd said
First spin off was going to be about the first Men and the children of the forest or whatever

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+17online now  21
Video inside Have you PROFITED more than $5,000 in Crypto?
96 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+228online now  15
Image(s) inside Damn yo... Seems like this is becoming a common thing. Sad.
242 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  15
apple.....slapped with class action lawsuit over powerbeats pro charging issues
28 comments
2 days ago
@tech
most viewed right now
online now  13
1/17......milfie jems plots to bury melting wax face charlotte at the thot rum..
271 comments
2 days ago
@misc
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy