Dec 1 - Virtual real estate plot sells for record $2.4 million

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

2 months ago '11        #1
1560 page views
39 comments

Sin  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x46
Props total: 173568 173 K  Slaps total: 23714 23 K
Dec 1 - Virtual real estate plot sells for record $2.4 million

LONDON, Nov 23 (Reuters) - A patch of virtual real estate in the online world Decentraland sold for a record $2.4 million worth of cryptocurrency, the buyer crypto investor Tokens.com (COIN.NLB) and Decentraland said on Tuesday.

Decentraland is an online environment - also called a "metaverse" - where users can buy land, visit buildings, walk around and meet people as avatars.

Such environments have grown in popularity this year, as the pandemic caused people to spend more time online. read more

Interest surged last month when Facebook changed its name to Meta to reflect its focus on developing virtual reality products for the metaverse.

Decentraland is a specific type of metaverse that uses blockchain. Land and other items in Decentraland are sold in the form of non-fungible tokens (NFTs), a kind of crypto a*set.

Crypto enthusiasts buy land there as a speculative investment, using Decentraland's cryptocurrency, MANA.

A subsidiary of Tokens.com, called the Metaverse Group, bought a patch of real estate for 618,000 MANA on Monday, which was around $2,428,740 at the time, a Decentraland spokesman and a statement by Tokens.com said.

Reuters also saw the land's purchase recorded on the NFT marketplace OpenSea.

Decentraland said it was the most expensive purchase of a plot of virtual real estate on the platform.

The land is in the "Fashion Street" area of Decentraland's map and Tokens.com said it would be used to host digital fashion events and sell virtual clothing for avatars. read more

It is made of 116 smaller parcels, measuring 52.5 square feet each, making the land 6,090 virtual square feet in size.

Andrew Kiguel, CEO of Tokens.com, said the a*sets would complement the real estate already held by Metaverse Group.

In June, a plot of virtual land in Decentraland sold for 1,295,000 MANA, worth $913,228 at the time. The buyers built a virtual shopping centre to sell digital clothing, but Reuters has visited this site multiple times since and not seen any shoppers. read more

MANA is highly volatile. It has gained around 400% this month according to Coinbase, spiking after Facebook's name change.

visit this link https://www.reuters.com/m .. on-2021-11-23/
+6   

best
worst
39 comments

2 months ago '05        #2
P-Hill 
Props total: 34355 34 K  Slaps total: 2261 2 K
Second Life part 2
+7   

2 months ago '11        #3
Sin  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x46 OP
 P-Hill said
Second Life part 2
what happened to 2nd life?

2 months ago '04        #4
ItAlY2BkLyN 
Props total: 35449 35 K  Slaps total: 8346 8 K
 MacJokerJones said
This is too funny. People hate their own real life so they building a metalife and spending real money on it hahahahahaha. Idiots.
Imagine being some troll on an online forum calling a crypto fund who has a million dollars to INVEST in an emerging market idiots.

The iron knee

2 months ago '15        #5
isthistobe  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x38
Props total: 72787 72 K  Slaps total: 8657 8 K
Habbo hotel, age of war, sims, roller coaster tycoon but with laundering money
+3   

2 months ago '18        #6
mushrooms 
Props total: 5264 5 K  Slaps total: 629 629
I own some land about to k*ll it
+6   

2 months ago '20        #7
Slymm  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 19150 19 K  Slaps total: 838 838
Yo what the fu*k is happening. We entering the matrix
+20   

2 months ago '14        #8
flyguyt 
Props total: 1816 1 K  Slaps total: 81 81
 ItAlY2BkLyN said
Imagine being some troll on an online forum calling a crypto fund who has a million dollars to INVEST in an emerging market idiots.

The iron knee

Didnt mean to slap
+1   

2 months ago '18        #9
DUCEDUCE  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 74159 74 K  Slaps total: 6795 6 K
 Slymm said
We are in a bubble with to much money, when that bubble will pop who knows. But some people are getting left holding the bag, you can make big money or you might lose it all.
+4   

2 months ago '05        #10
4REAL  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 52147 52 K  Slaps total: 17513 17 K
OP @ I remember you asked a very good but simple question I pondered on in a virtual land thread. What's stopping them from making more virtual
land? Did you ever figure out the answer?
+5   

2 months ago '11        #11
 4REAL said
OP @ I remember you asked a very good but simple question I pondered on in a virtual land thread. What's stopping them from making more virtual
land? Did you ever figure out the answer?
Nobody answered

I also want to know what happened to second life because i want to know how quickly these worlds faze out because it’s longer cool or stop existing

Imagine you spend $200,000 on a yatch on MySpace and Facebook comes along and everyone leaves

Last edited by Sin; 12-01-2021 at 06:32 PM..
+6   

2 months ago '18        #12
The3 
Props total: 11942 11 K  Slaps total: 1868 1 K

+2   

2 months ago '08        #13
RokkyRok 
Props total: 3909 3 K  Slaps total: 455 455
 Sin said
Nobody answered

I also want to know what happened to second life because i want to know how quickly these worlds faze out because its longer cool or stop existing

Imagine you spend $200,000 on a yatch on MySpace and Facebook comes along and everyone leaves
2nd life still exists, people tend to stick around when they're invested.

The peaks are definitely still to come for the "metaverse" but the floor is rising. I thought NFTs were dead earlier this year & it came back bigger and hotter than ever.

It's true no one's playing these games right now but in a few months I can see it having a roblox-like resurgence as people invest and start building on the platforms.
+3   

2 months ago '17        #14
LostTenets  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x47
Props total: 106204 106 K  Slaps total: 31330 31 K
 Slymm said
The matrix was a documentary
+1   

2 months ago '11        #15
 The3 said

yes I see the numbers, but what are the usage numbers on decentralands monthly active users?

and how long are users staying or are people just exploring?

could this all be a media influenced bubble?

2 months ago '11        #16
 RokkyRok said
2nd life still exists, people tend to stick around when they're invested.

The peaks are definitely still to come for the "metaverse" but the floor is rising. I thought NFTs were dead earlier this year & it came back bigger and hotter than ever.

It's true no one's playing these games right now but in a few months I can see it having a roblox-like resurgence as people invest and start building on the platforms.
I know meta bought the rights to GTA san Andres for there metaverse which sounds dope but its years away from deployment

I feel like buying meta etf and crypto is the safer investment than actually NFT because nobody knows where to go with the metaveres world yet

too many different players to know which will win

Last edited by Sin; 12-01-2021 at 07:26 PM..
+4   

2 months ago '12        #17
jdario 
Props total: 1770 1 K  Slaps total: 394 394
The difference between prior efforts like 2nd life is now you are finally able to be immersed in the experience vs staring at your monitor pretending it feels real. VR changes everything and with the Quest selling almost 10m units in just 2 years, mass adoption is happening right in front of ours. THIS is the crypto k*ller app.

2 months ago '18        #18
BlackjesuS  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 10337 10 K  Slaps total: 2150 2 K
 Sin said
Nobody answered

I also want to know what happened to second life because i want to know how quickly these worlds faze out because its longer cool or stop existing

Almost everything loses value after purchase...I don't believe you can add new plots of land just like in real life it'll only get more expensive
+1   

2 months ago '05        #19
JuiceDigaho 
Props total: 988 988  Slaps total: 393 393
 ItAlY2BkLyN said

The iron knee

go jerk off with your oculus cool guy

2 months ago '16        #20
wesleypipes 
Props total: 25629 25 K  Slaps total: 3597 3 K
I want to buy land in boxden
+2   

2 months ago '21        #21
JayMurdoch  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 19778 19 K  Slaps total: 3350 3 K
 LostTenets said
The matrix was a documentary
It was a disclosure of their future plans.

2 months ago '20        #22
Bighempin  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 10320 10 K  Slaps total: 1494 1 K
Money Laudring
+2   

2 months ago '15        #23
Holdino  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x20
Props total: 60526 60 K  Slaps total: 6244 6 K

+5   

2 months ago '21        #24
justforboxden 
Props total: 637 637  Slaps total: 57 57
 ItAlY2BkLyN said

The iron knee

And n*ggas seriously slappin you. Boxden full of idiots. But that's good to know cause now you see to do the exact opposite of what these dumbasses say

2 months ago '10        #25
lltreyll 
Props total: 7304 7 K  Slaps total: 2063 2 K
Yep. sh*ts getting a bit too odd. That's enough internet for today.

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+45online now  31
NY Times Article on Alpo: He Was in Witness Protection, But His Harlem Life Ke..
152 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  13
Image(s) inside Game calls out TI, Funk Flex & Ebro for their top 50 rappers lists the..
169 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+85online now  11
Tekashi69 bood off staged @ Miami bash
141 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+74online now  8
Kelce ignores the call play and tell Mahomes that hes running his own rout..
82 comments
18 hours ago
@sports
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy