Nov 30 - De Blasio opening first legal shooting galleries for drug users in the US

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
163 replies  @sports

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

2 months ago '11        #1
1161 page views
57 comments

Sin  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x46
Props total: 173354 173 K  Slaps total: 23711 23 K
Nov 30 - De Blasio opening first legal shooting galleries for drug users in the US

With just four weeks left in office, Mayor Bill de Blasio is opening the country’s first supervised shooting galleries in Upper Manhattan — amid a spike in overdose deaths and disturbing scenes of junkies shooting up on public sidewalks.

“Overdose Prevention Centers are a safe and effective way to address the opioid crisis. I’m proud to show cities in this country that after decades of failure, a smarter approach is possible,” de Blasio said in a statement Tuesday.

The nonprofit-run centers, in East Harlem and Washington Heights, are expected to open as early as Tuesday.

The locations were chosen based on “health need and depth of program experience,” according to the Health Department. The sites will provide clean needles and social services, but users must bring their own drugs.

Last year, over 2,000 New Yorkers died of drug overdoses, the highest since the city started tracking the figures in 2000. The most common drug involved in the fatalities is opioids. Between January and March this year, another 596 people lost their lives due to addiction. A city Health Department study found that the sites could save up to 130 people a year.

The mayor tried to push the controversial proposal to open a total of four sites before, but was blocked by Gov. Andrew Cuomo and President Donald Trump, who both opposed the plan.

City Council Minority Leader Joe Borelli (R-Staten Island) was skeptical about the program’s effectiveness.

“British Columbia has led North America in safe injection sites, all while crossing overdose death milestones every month. How anyone can see this as a solution to a serious problem is beyond me, never mind the concerns of the neighbors,” Borelli told The Post Tuesday.

Rep. Nicole Malliotakis (R-NY), whose district includes Staten Island and parts of southern Brooklyn, called on the Department of Justice to block the sites, noting that under former President Trump the DOJ said such sites would violate the federal Controlled Substances Act.

Malliotakis wrote U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland Tuesday urging him to “take swift action to enforce federal law.”

The congresswoman cited a Jan. 2021 Third Circuit Court of Appeals ruling that determined it was a federal crime for a supervised injection site run by a Philadelphia nonprofit to allow consumption of illegal drug use at its location.

“Instead of focusing on the root cause of the drug epidemic, Mayor de Blasio is enabling drug cartels that continue to break our laws, smuggle illegal drugs over our border, and prey on our children,” Malliotakis said.

“Crime and fentanyl use are at record highs because of open borders, botched bail reform, and anti-police policies that keep releasing criminal drug dealers back onto our streets. Opening taxpayer-funded heroin shooting galleries is not a proper solution. These centers not only encourage drug use but they will further deteriorate our quality of life,” she said.

De Blasio has largely turned a blind eye to daytime drug sprees in major city hubs like the Garment District and the Triangle Plaza Hub in the Bronx.

visit this link https://nypost.com/2021/1 .. -users-in-nyc/
+3   

best
worst
57 comments

2 months ago '06        #2
Skateboard T  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 97171 97 K  Slaps total: 18266 18 K
Literally dope,

This will lower incarcerations, overdoses for sure. Hard to gauge overall “drug use” numbers because the metrics are hard to compare and don’t tell the full story of the users (typically measured in terms of whether they used in last year or last month but, that doesn’t really tell us if addicts are getting help when the numbers go down or if recreational use by non addicts is on the rise when the numbers go up).

At least it’s trying something new instead of the usual throw them in prison and hope it works out strategy.

2 months ago '11        #3
Sin  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x46 OP
 Skateboard T said
Literally dope,

This will lower incarcerations, overdoses for sure. Hard to gauge overall “drug use” numbers because the metrics are hard to compare and don’t tell the full story of the users (typically measured in terms of whether they used in last year or last month but, that doesn’t really tell us if addicts are getting help when the numbers go down or if recreational use by non addicts is on the rise when the numbers go up).

At least it’s trying something new instead of the usual throw them in prison and hope it works out strategy.
but will it bring more unwanted drug addicts to that neighborhood?

and former cop turned mayor will take over as mayor January 1st so this may not last long
+11   

2 months ago '06        #4
Skateboard T  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 97171 97 K  Slaps total: 18266 18 K
 Sin said

and former cop turned mayor will take over as mayor January 1st so this may not last long
I don’t think they put these in places that don’t already have those problems…and this will at least bring them indoors and off the street.

So, depends on where the put these but overseas they tend to be in close proximity to clinics or inside of clinics
+2   

2 months ago '21        #5
LuxG2  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 27318 27 K  Slaps total: 5579 5 K
 Sin said

Look to Canada for your answer & so far they are managing well…i wouldn’t live over there though

2 months ago '17        #6
Majestic 
Props total: 2154 2 K  Slaps total: 455 455
Smh, just ship them out somewhere else

2 months ago '16        #7
00010111  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 46726 46 K  Slaps total: 4821 4 K
 Skateboard T said
Literally dope,

Nah, these idiots think that drug addicts are 'immoral' and thus deserve to be either in prison or on the street.
+2   

2 months ago '11        #8
 Skateboard T said
I don’t think they put these in places that don’t already have those problems…and this will at least bring them indoors and off the street.

So, depends on where the put these but overseas they tend to be in close proximity to clinics or inside of clinics
you don't see many fiends roaming Washington heights as you do East Harlem, both are majority Brown and Black neighborhoods

East Harlem has a lot methadone clinics with a lot of fiends wandering around them this the neighborhood hates

Last edited by Sin; 11-30-2021 at 03:09 PM..
+5   

2 months ago '11        #9
 LuxG2 said
Look to Canada for your answer & so far they are managing well…i wouldn’t live over there though
I don't, but I frequent a neighborhood bordering one
+2   

2 months ago '11        #10

another article from October 2021

Last edited by Sin; 11-30-2021 at 03:39 PM..
+3   

2 months ago '20        #11
POWER RAPS  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 30549 30 K  Slaps total: 2314 2 K
 Sin said
you don't see many fiends roaming Washington heights as you do East Harlem, both are majority Brown and Black neighborhoods

East Harlem has a lot methadone clinics with a lot of fiends wandering around them this the neighborhood hates
Yeah the heights doesn’t really have a dope fiend problem like the Bronx does. This is a bad idea. Dudes in the heights just gonna start selling dope eventually
+5   

2 months ago '11        #12
 POWER RAPS said
Yeah the heights doesn’t really have a dope fiend problem like the Bronx does. This is a bad idea. Dudes in the heights just gonna start selling dope eventually
You have to wonder whether these type of clinics draw in the dealers and fiends to these neighborhoods

They have to bring the drugs to the clinic so of course you’ll buy in near by
+6   

2 months ago '19        #13
GetYaCoinsKing  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 53122 53 K  Slaps total: 8795 8 K
I have mixed feelings about this, I understand the Portugal model has yielded positive results but in NYC the problem with this is that it isn't the best place to do this; Its too crowded and we all know these places get packed so you'll be having a bunch of junkies hanging around your properties attracting drug dealers, pimps and potential crime.

I'm telling ya i seen the sh*t go left out in the Bay when i was out there.
@ i know you're trolling but i truly think the US should work with another country to rehabilitate these homeless via philanthropy by sending them to needy countries, Mfs just need a purpose that's all.
+4   

2 months ago '16        #14
bones2009 
Props total: 11983 11 K  Slaps total: 540 540
 Sin said
That part.

People acting like it’s “Hamsterdam” off “The Wire”, my beef isn’t necessarily with outcome it’s execution.
+5   

2 months ago '20        #15
POWER RAPS  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 30549 30 K  Slaps total: 2314 2 K
 Sin said
You have to wonder whether these type of clinics draw in the dealers and fiends to these neighborhoods

They have to bring the drugs to the clinic so of course you’ll buy in near by
The heights is known for weed and coke at good prices with a weed spot on almost every block. As someone who grew up in that neighborhood I can confirm these dudes are gonna jump at the opportunity to make money.
+4   

2 months ago '11        #16
 bones2009 said
That part.

People acting like it’s “Hamsterdam” off “The Wire”, my beef isn’t necessarily with outcome it’s execution.
he's trying to make it uncomfortable for the residents to speed up the gentrification
+2   

2 months ago '11        #17
 POWER RAPS said
The heights is known for weed and coke at good prices with a weed spot on almost every block. As someone who grew up in that neighborhood I can confirm these dudes are gonna jump at the opportunity to make money.
destroying the neighborhood
+3   

2 months ago '04        #18
orv 
Props total: 9220 9 K  Slaps total: 1332 1 K
Injections for everyone.
Might as well, since they’re injecting people with sh*t and not giving them the ingredients, anyway.
+1   

2 months ago '17        #19
SPdaGOAT  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 93951 93 K  Slaps total: 34795 34 K
Nobody gonna mention Hamsterdam? This site fell off

2 months ago '16        #20
Homer Pimpson 
Props total: 38408 38 K  Slaps total: 7941 7 K

2 months ago '18        #21
Mr Tibbs 
Props total: 27419 27 K  Slaps total: 2653 2 K
 Majestic said
Smh, just ship them out somewhere else
outerspace.

2 months ago '17        #22
andsam 
Props total: 1844 1 K  Slaps total: 228 228
I hope this can help them.

2 months ago '15        #23
Hellmatic 
Props total: 48300 48 K  Slaps total: 4651 4 K
This doctor has talked about them doing this and apparently its worked to great benefit

The beginning to both of these

+1   

2 months ago '04        #24
xbossxplayax 
Props total: 19793 19 K  Slaps total: 3888 3 K
instead of helping them get off the drugs, lets have them shoot up somewhere we know so they dont become nuisances to us like dog sh!t left on the streets
+1   

2 months ago '11        #25
 xbossxplayax said
instead of helping them get off the drugs, lets have them shoot up somewhere we know so they dont become nuisances to us like dog sh!t left on the streets
But they become a nuisance to the neighborhoods because homeless addicts don’t have anyplace to go so they just sit around the clinic waiting for there next high

And the dealers gravitate towards them to make the sales

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+97online now  19
Article inside From now on here when people respond with “Buy The Dip”…
113 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+45online now  9
[Workout] I Can't Believe How Strong She Is...
83 comments
2 days ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+54online now  7
Dude was minding his own business working out with his girl and then this happ..
220 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  4
UFC 270: Ngannou vs. Gane Official Discussion Thread
978 comments
1 day ago
@sports
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy