Omicron crypto skyrockets, and you can probably guess the reason

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section guap

2 months ago '19        #1
918 page views
7 comments

The Dogefather  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x14
Props total: 34008 34 K  Slaps total: 7577 7 K
Omicron crypto skyrockets, and you can probably guess the reason

In normal times, a product sharing a name with a virus variant would be bad for business. But these are not normal times, and crypto is decidedly not a normal business.

A little-known token soared in value after the World Health Organization designated Omicron a "variant of concern” on Friday. Dubbed, yes, Omicron, the token shot from around $65 in value to $675 by Sunday, according to Crypto.com.

And while the price has since fallen to $308 as of the time of this writing, the timing of the surge suggests it's based on little more than the token's shared name with the latest variant. That's right, people are buying a more or less random token — itself a fork of another project — for the meme potential.

Those behind the Omicron project are clearly aware of the token's oddly fortuitous spike, tweeting a side-eye emoji in response to the news.

Notably, despite viral claims to the contrary, the Omicron token had its name before the WHO named the latest variant.

Omicron would not be the first token to see its value increase in response to apparent meme-based speculation — the Shiba Inu cryptocurrency is perhaps the most recent example of that phenomenon — and it will surely not be the last.

After all, memes, like exuberance, are often irrational.

+1   

best
worst
7 comments

2 months ago '16        #2
throwup 
Props total: 675 675  Slaps total: 190 190
Yeah I'll take a risk on this sh*tcoins don't be crying when you all poor quick Rich schemes somebody got to pay invest in solid crypto projects and you're too lazy to do your research just invest in Bitcoin and ethereum play with fire your a*s to get burned
+2   

2 months ago '20        #3
cutedrakestan 
Props total: 4787 4 K  Slaps total: 5459 5 K
 throwup said
Yeah I'll take a risk on this sh*tcoins don't be crying when you all poor quick Rich schemes somebody got to pay invest in solid crypto projects and you're too lazy to do your research just invest in Bitcoin and ethereum play with fire your a*s to get burned

Gotta be willing to take risk to make big profit.

bitcoin and ethereum have such high market caps they will take a while for even 2-3x
+4   

2 months ago '11        #4
MACADEMICS 
Props total: 12909 12 K  Slaps total: 1102 1 K
It would not surprise me if this was algorithm trading tracking the OMICRON mentions online and taking a position.
+4   

2 months ago '05        #5
4REAL  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 52074 52 K  Slaps total: 17481 17 K
I didn't watch the video. Is this OMICRON on coinbase?

2 months ago '10        #6
Shhon  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 49826 49 K  Slaps total: 4501 4 K

+1   

2 months ago '16        #7
throwup 
Props total: 675 675  Slaps total: 190 190
 cutedrakestan said
Gotta be willing to take risk to make big profit.

bitcoin and ethereum have such high market caps they will take a while for even 2-3x
I think Bitcoin and ethereum can 10x and we know that it will be here in the next 10 years take your time to get rich getting quick schemes to get rich will end up bad for most

2 months ago '20        #8
cutedrakestan 
Props total: 4787 4 K  Slaps total: 5459 5 K
 throwup said
I think Bitcoin and ethereum can 10x and we know that it will be here in the next 10 years take your time to get rich getting quick schemes to get rich will end up bad for most
10x in 10 years isnít really rich

Risk is the price you pay for opportunity.

Imagine if the early people never took the risk of bitcoin.

Obviously my profits go into ether and bitcoin, but to actually make profit, I prefer lower cap projects. I do my research

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  15
I been telling yíall for months that Kanye donít fu-k with adidas yeezy anymo..
55 comments
2 days ago
@gear
most viewed right now
-46online now  11
Image(s) inside Jan 23 - Atlanta rising Rent Prices
135 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
+62online now  6
Jan 22 - Trying to cover up dating app murder.
207 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
online now  3
NFC Divisional Round: (4) Los Angeles Rams @ (2) Tampa Bay Bucs Official G..
2210 comments
2 days ago
@sports
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy