Nov 28 - Crime on L.A. trains and buses rises 'Poor people are suffering the most'

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT
most viewed right now
9 replies  @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

2 months ago '07        #1
1102 page views
20 comments

yola  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x63
Props total: 102303 102 K  Slaps total: 13374 13 K
Nov 28 - Crime on L.A. trains and buses rises 'Poor people are suffering the most'

As she waited for a Metro train in Hollywood, Maritza Mancilla shielded herself behind the escalator bringing passengers down into the fluorescent lit underground.

She wanted to see the newcomers before they could see her.

The 55-year-old, who relies on public transportation to get to her job as a house cleaner, has seen f*ghts break out on the train. She’s seen a man attempt to open the car doors while they were in motion. At the Hollywood/Western Metro station earlier this year, a man exposed himself to her.

"If I could work from home, I would," she said.

With the pandemic easing and lockdowns lifted, a return to normalcy has come with benefits: increased economic activity, more people going back to work and school and holiday gatherings and social interactions.

But on the Los Angeles public transit system — where ridership has rebounded to about 843,000 weekday daily riders from a pandemic low of about 363,800 — normal has also brought with it a rise in crime.

In 2021, through September, reports of violent crimes were up 25% from the same time last year and 9% from 2019, according to L.A. County Metropolitan Transportation Authority data. Some crimes, such as aggravated a*saults, are exceeding pre-pandemic levels even though bus and rail ridership hasn’t fully recovered.

Although still rare, homicides jumped from one in 2019, to three in 2020, the first full year of the pandemic. So far in 2021, five people have been k*lled in stations or on public transport, including a 28-year-old woman fatally shot on the train while on her way to work.

While most people ride public transit without incident, the issue of crime recently sparked a clash between L.A. County Sheriff Alex Villanueva and Metro board members over the future of law enforcement on the system. At a news conference to argue for the extension of his department's contract with Metro, the sheriff rattled off a list of eight violent crimes, dating back to 2019, including shootings, stabbings and s*xual a*saults. He referred to the incidents as "the level of carnage" happening on trains.

Inglewood Mayor James T. Butts, who sits on the Metro board of directors, said that he saw Villanueva’s compilation of violent crimes, "as a public acknowledgement that he failed to prevent these crimes."

Butts, a former Santa Monica police chief, added that given the enormous scale of the public transit system, there was no reason to try to frighten people with crime numbers.

"The press conference was a political exercise that gave statistics without perspective," Butts said during a Metro committee meeting. "Given the millions of riders that Metro serves every year, the crime statistics compared per capita to cities are de minimis."

On a recent Friday morning, more than a dozen people heading to work, school or to run errands waited for their train at the Hollywood/Western station.

Maria Herrera had just gotten off an eight-hour night shift. The 55-year-old, who can't drive, relies on her daughters and public transportation to get to work five days a week.

Herrera said she stopped taking the train at night a long time ago and relies on ride share apps, which have come at a rising cost.

"Poor people are suffering the most," said Herrera. But when it comes to crime, she said, "we’re all exposed."

"It doesn’t matter if you’re older or younger," she said. "That’s why a lot of people don’t stop using their cars."

Security personnel in neon yellow vests walk through Union Station
Security personnel walk through Union Station on Nov. 16. (Brian van der Brug / Los Angeles Times)
This year, through September, there were 470 violent crimes systemwide. In 2020, over the same time period, there were 375. In 2019, before the pandemic began, there were 432.

Robberies have dropped from the last two years, to 165, but reports of homicides, r*pes, aggravated a*saults and aggravated a*saults on operators were higher this year during the same time in 2019 and 2020.

Judy Gerhardt, Metro's chief of system security and law enforcement, said the uptick in crime appears to be part of a larger trend across the U.S.

"As our community deals with the challenges that are brought on by COVID, the increase in the unsheltered population on the system, other social factors that are happening now, we’re seeing crime rates rise — not just on the system but locally and even across the country," Gerhardt said. "Our goal is to minimize all crimes on the system in every capacity."

There have been five homicides this year, with the most recent coming on Nov. 21, when a man was shot in the head at the Willowbrook/Rosa Parks Metro Station. Suspects in all the k*llings are in custody.

For the family of Danielle Harlemon, her death was as unexpected as it was far from the place she once called home.

The 28-year-old followed her dream to move to California from Atlanta two years ago. Her older sister said she loved the ocean.

Nearly every day, Harlemon woke up before the sun rose to make it on time to the downtown L.A. marijuana dispensary where she worked as a master grower.

Her mother, Demetria, said on a few occasions she overheard her daughter being harassed at the train station during their daily calls.

"I asked her, ‘Where is security? How does all of this go on on public transportation?'" Demetria, 54, recalled. "Why isn’t there someone to give you some kind of comfort?"

Harlemon wanted to start driving and was saving to buy a Jeep by Christmas.

On Oct. 10, Harlemon was seated on the Metro B line train, when an agitated man began pacing nearby. He started arguing with her. When the train stopped at the Hollywood/Vine station, the man shot Harlemon and fled, police said. She died at a nearby hospital.

"It breaks me down every day that she was on her way to work," Demetria said. "For this to happen has just put me in a state of shock."

Less than a month later, police arrested 23-year-old Andre Dunlap, who had fled to his home state of Indiana. Dunlap, who was unhoused at the time of the shooting, was on parole for attempted robbery in Los Angeles, according to the LAPD. He’s since been charged with murder.

Villanueva cited Harlemon’s death at the news conference on Nov. 17. He criticized Metro’s Public Safety Advisory Committee for recommending a shift to non-law enforcement alternatives, such as transit ambassadors, which he said would provide "an illusion of security."

"We need to take these matters seriously because lives are at stake, lives are being endangered on the system and the callous disregard for the safety of the passengers is alarming," Villanueva said.

Since 2017, Metro has split policing duties among the Los Angeles Police Department, which patrols buses, trains and stations in the city of L.A.; the Long Beach police, who work at eight Blue Line stations; and the L.A. County Sheriff’s Department, which patrols the rest of the system. The contracts expire in 2022.

Following protests in the wake of George Floyd's murder, the Metro board of directors sought recommendations on how to reform the agency’s policing practices and reallocate resources to other forms of community safety, resulting in the establishment of a Public Safety Advisory Committee.

The committee has recommended that the board not allocate any additional funding to existing public agency policing contracts and to reallocate that money to support mental health, homeless outreach services and unarmed transit ambassadors who can de-escalate potentially violent situations.

Villanueva "pointed to crimes and people feeling unsafe on transit. The contracts have ballooned throughout the years, and we don’t see the transit system feeling safer," committee member Scarlett De Leon said. "For PSAC members, and for myself, it's like, what else can we do that actually addresses safety at the root of it?"

Metro has recommended that the board approve funding the remaining six months of law enforcement contracts, at a total of $75.2 million, and authorize an extension of up to one year. In a statement, the agency said that would give the Public Safety Advisory Committee "sufficient time to finalize its long-term recommendations."

Metro board members criticized Villanueva during an Operations, Safety, and Customer Experience Committee meeting last Thursday.

"The head of an agency that is charged with providing public safety on this system held a press conference and tried to scare and frighten the riders of our system … tried to create panic," said L.A. Councilman Mike Bonin, chair of the committee. "We have an agency led by a guy who hasn't provided public safety, who hasn't managed the contract well and then wants more money."

On Dec. 2, the board will vote on whether to fund the remaining six months and extend the contracts.

At the Hollywood/Western station, Richard Diamond waited to board a train heading to North Hollywood. Diamond, who lives in Glendale, takes public transportation every month to get to doctor appointments in Encino.

When it comes to police presence, he’s quick to say that it should be "cut back."

"They’re only there to give you a ticket and harass you. They’re not there for safety reasons, per se," said Diamond, who is Black. "When do you really see them handling a problem other than giving a ticket or worrying if you’ve paid for your fare? It’s more of a harassment thing than actually doing anything I’ve seen helping."

The 47-year-old said he doesn't worry about taking the train. When he was unhoused for a decade, he would take it up to North Hollywood, come back down and then make his way to Long Beach. But he would always "sleep with one eye open."

"You’re never really safe, especially in the big city," Diamond said. "But, in general, people are looking out for each other, whether you realize it or not."
+2   

best
worst
20 comments

2 months ago '15        #2
Hellmatic 
Props total: 48367 48 K  Slaps total: 4656 4 K
What the hell is going on in LA lately? News just keeps getting worse and worse out there
+2   

2 months ago '04        #3
WhoThaFuk 
Props total: 5169 5 K  Slaps total: 367 367
 Hellmatic said
What the hell is going on in LA lately? News just keeps getting worse and worse out there
Nothing that hasn’t been going on in the last 34 years I’ve been alive. sh*t happens in a county with 10 million people; it’s maybe a few hundred or thousand [that’s being generous] people are doing bold fu*k sh*t - mostly unorganized and with no real goal. This is with income inequality at its highest ever & a pandemic that shut down supply chains for almost a year. This sh*t is looking light compared to the walking dead crack era.
+12   

2 months ago '18        #4
DUCEDUCE  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 74361 74 K  Slaps total: 6849 6 K
 Hellmatic said
LAPD has checked out. They are being paid 2 billion and don't do sh*t.
+5   

2 months ago '05        #5
Flatbush85  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 17721 17 K  Slaps total: 1582 1 K
Damn I forgot LA has a subway system.
+6   

2 months ago '07        #6
acwmich 
Props total: 3266 3 K  Slaps total: 974 974
I thought new variant k*lling everyone anyway

2 months ago '16        #7
Ldogg310v2 
Props total: 16965 16 K  Slaps total: 1592 1 K
Why are they sensationalizing crime like it's out the norm? It happens as it always has, they love fear mongering. It's no different than NY or anywhere else.

A few people pull a few stunts and now it's a HUGE problem, let's all run and hide?
+4   

2 months ago '09        #8
faceoffizhere 
Props total: 15679 15 K  Slaps total: 4187 4 K
All gear mongering this sh*t been happening forever
+1   

2 months ago '17        #9
dubsax 
Props total: 56761 56 K  Slaps total: 4718 4 K
 WhoThaFuk said
Nothing that hasn’t been going on in the last 34 years I’ve been alive. sh*t happens in a county with 10 million people; it’s maybe a few hundred or thousand [that’s being generous] people are doing bold fu*k sh*t - mostly unorganized and with no real goal. This is with income inequality at its highest ever & a pandemic that shut down supply chains for almost a year. This sh*t is looking light compared to the walking dead crack era.
Facts

Been a rider since the RTD, aka the Rough, Tough and Dirty, era.
back then fools used to jump out the back window depending on whos neighborhood we were going through.

If anything the last 15 years or so its been abnormally clean and safe
+3   

2 months ago '06        #10
jester2trife 
Props total: 7866 7 K  Slaps total: 2364 2 K
 Hellmatic said
Nothing new. Everywhere east of PCH is a landfill.
+1   

2 months ago '04        #11
synopsis03|m 
Props total: 1195 1 K  Slaps total: 108 108
 Hellmatic said
nothing is going on the slow news week cycles and lack of political scandals this year has the news reporting everyday normal sh*t that happens in a big city like its new and trying to outrage its audience so they stay tuned when just 2 years ago they ignored stories like these
+5   

2 months ago '18        #12
Capodecina  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 37010 37 K  Slaps total: 2728 2 K
I knew the day would come

+2   

2 months ago '15        #13
Kdub31 
Props total: 22003 22 K  Slaps total: 2132 2 K
Cop propaganda they cut the funding for police on buses and trains this is apart of they push to get it back
+4   

2 months ago '05        #14
Rockstar718 
Props total: 38262 38 K  Slaps total: 3229 3 K
 Ldogg310v2 said
Why are they sensationalizing crime like it's out the norm? It happens as it always has, they love fear mongering. It's no different than NY or anywhere else.

A few people pull a few stunts and now it's a HUGE problem, let's all run and hide?
News has always been sensationalized. The key is to just look for the actual information that's between the lines.

Articles like this are about the quarterly crime reports. And through September, how crime compares to the same time last year over the course of the year. Its reported in a way to get people invested and want to read or riled up to a political base.
+3   

2 months ago '14        #15
strungout  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 159933 159 K  Slaps total: 35981 35 K
of course thieves steal most of the time from within their immediate surroundings, unfortunately that means regular everyday people end up suffering.

2 months ago '15        #16
Fantastic 
Props total: 15763 15 K  Slaps total: 5980 5 K
 WhoThaFuk said
meanwhile pelosi has amassed over 250 million on a 190k salary......

how she still in office baffles me, same as mich mcconell. All these politicians have more money than god and do sh*t for nobody except themselves and the people who keep them in office.

They need to have a cop on these rides, i mean they have a marshal on every plane. Something needs to be done to help protect these people.
+2   

2 months ago '18        #17
MC Gusto 
Props total: 13262 13 K  Slaps total: 1458 1 K
 Ldogg310v2 said

Not a problem until it happens to white people

2 months ago '16        #18
Ldogg310v2 
Props total: 16965 16 K  Slaps total: 1592 1 K
 Rockstar718 said
News has always been sensationalized. The key is to just look for the actual information that's between the lines.

Articles like this are about the quarterly crime reports. And through September, how crime compares to the same time last year over the course of the year. Its reported in a way to get people invested and want to read or riled up to a political base.
It's reported in a way to get people fearful. Why u think people started buying up toilet paper? Was the k*ller wasps that were going to murder us all in our sleep just reported to get us invested? Do they keep showing our black youth getting gunned down on camera for us to get invested? How do they not get the footage for any other youths when they are gunned down then if that's the case?

Oh is it because they're not gunned down like US?
+1   

2 months ago '20        #19
Blcnze 
Props total: 723 723  Slaps total: 132 132
 Ldogg310v2 said
It's reported in a way to get people fearful. Why u think people started buying up toilet paper? Was the k*ller wasps that were going to murder us all in our sleep just reported to get us invested? Do they keep showing our black youth getting gunned down on camera for us to get invested? How do they not get the footage for any other youths when they are gunned down then if that's the case?

Oh is it because they're not gunned down like US?
Realest sh*t I've read on here in a minute

2 months ago '16        #20
Clever Endeavor 
Props total: 4379 4 K  Slaps total: 150 150
 Flatbush85 said
Damn I forgot LA has a subway system.
visit LA on a yearly basis since 2014 & barely found they had a subway system. I'm use to taking an Uber everywhere in LA.

2 months ago '15        #21
AmillionMo  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 30795 30 K  Slaps total: 9026 9 K
Saw a nicca sleep in a hammock on the metro train... Smh. WTF

Had a crazy dude talk to himself about me on the bus because I was standing near where he was seated, holding the top strap... had my earphones in by heard him between my songs. When I realized he was talking about me, I just stared at him like a pitbull and knew he wasn't gonna do sh*t once he looked away. I was ready for that action. I'm 6ft. 275lbs so he didn't stand a chance.

Last edited by AmillionMo; 11-29-2021 at 12:59 PM..

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+167online now  24
Video inside Son burns Moms soul
94 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+55online now  22
Jan 27 - The worst mayor in America spells with money
146 comments
23 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
+298online now  19
Video inside Benny the Butcher & J. Cole - Johnny P's Caddy
252 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  13
Lil Phat: Real murders of Atlanta. "Lil Boosie Was Investigated for Phats murd..
83 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy