Nov 27 - Over $1,000,000 raised for innocent man who served 43 years in prison

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
33 replies  @goodeats

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

2 months ago '07        #1
1106 page views
33 comments

yola  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x63
Props total: 102300 102 K  Slaps total: 13373 13 K
Nov 27 - Over $1,000,000 raised for innocent man who served 43 years in prison

(CNN)Thousands of people are raising money online for a Missouri man who served 43 years in prison for a crime he didn't commit.

Kevin Strickland, 62, was exonerated Tuesday morning after serving decades at Western Missouri Correctional Center in Cameron, Missouri.

Strickland was convicted in 1979 of one count of capital murder and two counts of second-degree murder in a triple homicide.

He received a 50-year life sentence without the possibility for parole for a crime that, over the years, he maintained he had not been involved in.

Senior Judge James Welsh dismissed all criminal counts against Strickland.

His release makes his confinement the longest wrongful imprisonment in Missouri history and one of the longest in the nation, according to The National Registry of Exonerations.

The Midwest Innocence Project created a GoFundMe account to help Strickland restart his life, since he doesn't qualify for help from the state of Missouri.

In Missouri, only those exonerated through DNA testing are eligible for a $50 per day of post-conviction confinement, according to the Innocence Project.

That was not the case for Strickland.

As of Thursday evening, donations for Strickland had topped $1 million.

The fund was created over the summer with a goal of raising $7,500, which the fund says would amount to approximately $175 dollars for every year Strickland spent wrongfully convicted.

Thirty-six states and Washington, DC, have laws on the books that offer compensation for exonerees, according to the Innocence Project.

The federal standard to compensate those who are wrongfully convicted is a minimum of $50,000 per year of incarceration, plus an additional amount for each year spent on death row.

Adjusting to a new world

Strickland said he learned of his release through a breaking news report that interrupted the soap opera he was watching Tuesday.

The first thing he did after his release was visit his mother's grave.

"To know my mother was underneath that dirt and I hadn't gotten a chance to visit with her in the last years ... I revisited those tears that I did when they told me I was guilty of a crime I didn't commit," Strickland told CNN's Brianna Keilar Wednesday.

He visited his mother's grave for the first time after spending 43 years in prison for a murder he didn't commit

His first night out of prison was a restless one, where thoughts of returning to prison, among others, kept him awake, he said Wednesday.

"I'm used to living in a close, confined cell where I know exactly what's going on in there with me," he said.

"And being home and you hear the creaks of the home settling and the electrical wiring and whatever else ... I was kind of afraid. I thought somebody was coming to get me."

Convicted as a teenager, exonerated as an adult

Four people were shot in Kansas City, Missouri, on April 25, 1978, resulting in three deaths, according to CNN affiliate KSHB.

The only survivor of the crime, Cynthia Douglas, who died in 2015, testified in 1978 that Strickland was at the scene of the triple murder.

Douglas sustained a shotgun injury and told police then that Vincent Bell and Kiln Adkins were two of the perpetrators.

But she did not identify Strickland, who she knew, as being at the scene until a day later, according to KSHB, after it was suggested to her Strickland's hair matched Douglas' description of the shooter.

Douglas claimed her initial failure to identify him was due to the use of cognac and marijuana, according to KSHB.

He spent years in prison for the r*pe of author Alice Sebold, the subject of her memoir, 'Lucky.' A judge just exonerated him

But for the past 30 years, she has been saying that she made a mistake and falsely identified Strickland.

According to KSHB, Douglas made efforts to free Strickland through the Midwest Innocence Project.

The two a*sailants she identified at the scene both pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and each ended up serving about 10 years in prison for the crimes, according to Strickland's attorney, Robert Hoffman.
+15   

best
worst
33 comments

2 months ago '07        #2
yola  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x63 OP
Props total: 102300 102 K  Slaps total: 13373 13 K
there's hundreds of thousands more
+14   

2 months ago '20        #3
blackpillblack 
Props total: 17989 17 K  Slaps total: 8755 8 K
Wow…. Sooooo glad he got a bag.. i hope he use it to hire a*sassins to take out anyone who made his life hell..

2 months ago '19        #4
LungStrongDC 
Props total: 1710 1 K  Slaps total: 151 151
He need a million for every year and not from the ppl from them backwater a*s crackas SMH
+23   

Top 10 most slapped recently  2 months ago '20        #5
BuiltForThis  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x9
Props total: 23647 23 K  Slaps total: 38954 38 K
She identified two of the defendants, Vincent Bell and Kilm Adkins, the night of the murder, and stated that night that she did not know the other two involved in the shooting, only to testify against Strickland the next day and then again in trial.
In modern cases this would have been weak evidence against Strickland given what we now know about the veracity of eyewitness accounts, especially delayed ones like this.

Another key (but, in my opinion, ridiculous) piece of evidence levied against him by the prosecution was the presence of Strickland’s fingerprints on the car of co-defendant Adkins.

Somehow, this proof of Strickland’s very real friendship with Bell and Adkins was twisted to be used as evidence supporting his participation in a murder. These were the most salient pieces of evidence against Strickland.

And how did the other 2 get less time than him?

Made plea deals then later said he had nothing to do with it?

Defense was lackin by not placing them on the stand in his defense.

Last edited by BuiltForThis; 11-27-2021 at 02:57 PM..

2 months ago '10        #6
Nautilus O  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 99340 99 K  Slaps total: 20861 20 K
This sets a bad precedent. The law is bad and needs to be changed. It’s not up to everyone else to pay for their error.
+6   

2 months ago '05        #7
blah blah blah  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x33
Props total: 98398 98 K  Slaps total: 81163 81 K
43 years smh

2 months ago '18        #8
OLITO 
Props total: 6618 6 K  Slaps total: 2511 2 K
that money aint gon do sh*t for all that time he missed!!

Got Damn!!!!!
+5   

2 months ago '21        #9
LuxG2  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 27527 27 K  Slaps total: 5613 5 K
glad he got paid
+3   

2 months ago '21        #10
Still2Highh 
Props total: 20079 20 K  Slaps total: 3011 3 K
Crooked a*s police need to give that man at least 10 mil n stop playin.

He gon blow thru that 1 mil just readjusting to society after 40+ fu*kin yrs in prison

+4   

2 months ago '21        #11
Keithf87 
Props total: 14187 14 K  Slaps total: 771 771
He deserves more than that.

He'll spend the rest of his life thinking their coming back to lock him up.

Top 10 most slapped recently  2 months ago '20        #12
 Nautilus O said
This sets a bad precedent. The law is bad and needs to be changed. It’s not up to everyone else to pay for their error.
Not really an “error”. Just different time periods.

Would need more than an iffy eyewitness and fingerprints on a car this day in age. Iffy eyewitness and fingerprints wherever on the suspected get away car plus whatever else was used that’s not being released by the media.

Did these 3 people have separate trials? Or did those 2 other people make plea deals?

How did they get less time than one of the people they say wasn’t involved?

2 months ago '21        #13
pikadadon  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 8767 8 K  Slaps total: 3112 3 K
 Keithf87 said
He deserves more than that.

He'll spend the rest of his life thinking their coming back to lock him up.
He should just use that money and 'retire' to Costa Rica or Mexico. Not smart to stay in the US since systemic racism is still present.

Many Americans have worked 43+ years and still couldn't save up a million dollars. He's ahead of the curve financially just in that regard.

2 months ago '21        #14
Keithf87 
 pikadadon said
He should just use that money and 'retire' to Costa Rica or Mexico. Not smart to stay in the US since systemic racism is still present.

Many Americans have worked 43+ years and still couldn't save up a million dollars. He's ahead of the curve financially just in that regard.
Yea you're right. In his interview he said he just wanted to see the ocean.

Said his only fear is them coming back to put him in prison. I know every knock on the door or phone call is excruciating.
+3   

2 months ago '18        #15
OLITO 
Props total: 6618 6 K  Slaps total: 2511 2 K
 Keithf87 said

Said his only fear is them coming back to put him in prison. I know every knock on the door or phone call is excruciating.
a n*gga aint never did no time but my black a*s dont like hearing no knock on my door..
+3   

2 months ago '21        #16
Keithf87 
 OLITO said
a n*gga aint never did no time but my black a*s dont like hearing no knock on my door..
Right.....like....who TF.....

*High ASF about to pull down on the pizza guy.

2 months ago '10        #17
eightytyson06 
Props total: 22466 22 K  Slaps total: 1401 1 K
thats whatup you know the gov gonna want their cut and i hope he has someone to actually look after his finances. being locked up that long i hope he has a solid plan since hes free.

id throw a good chunk in some index funds and grab some dividend funds and travel

2 months ago '15        #18
Hellmatic 
Props total: 48367 48 K  Slaps total: 4656 4 K
Man 43 years being innocent. I couldn't do it
+4   

2 months ago '15        #19
Hellmatic 
Props total: 48367 48 K  Slaps total: 4656 4 K
 Keithf87 said

Thats some steven Avery type sh*t. Even tho its debatable whether he did it or not the second time
+1   

2 months ago '21        #20
Crow42 
Props total: 2210 2 K  Slaps total: 838 838
That’s what up

God bless

Everyone who did time over a false conviction, should get paid
+1   

2 months ago '18        #21
Capodecina  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 37010 37 K  Slaps total: 2728 2 K
A muthaphuckin shame
Man deserves alot more than the bull offered.
And idiots actually have the nerve to wunda why black folks dont trust the legal system.

Top 10 most slapped recently  2 months ago '20        #22
 Crow42 said
That’s what up

God bless

Everyone who did time over a false conviction, should get paid
Even the ones that make plea deals admitting they guilt and or incriminate others for a better sentence.

Last edited by BuiltForThis; 11-27-2021 at 04:30 PM..

2 months ago '19        #23
Unfadeable07 
Props total: 2659 2 K  Slaps total: 433 433
 Still2Highh said
Crooked a*s police need to give that man at least 10 mil n stop playin.

He gon blow thru that 1 mil just readjusting to society after 40+ fu*kin yrs in prison

The gov should atleast give him 3 mil

Then he can just work until legal retirement which would be less than 10 years and be good he don’t even have to save money he can just live his life

Then when he stop working he still have that 3 mill to just live off of

I think that’s fair

2 months ago '20        #24
Mysticman  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x23
Props total: 52441 52 K  Slaps total: 16368 16 K
 BuiltForThis said
Even the ones that make plea deals admitting they guilt and or incriminate others for a better sentence.

YOu can't be black this upset about a black man getting out of prison after being wrongly convicted

Top 10 most slapped recently  2 months ago '20        #25
 Mysticman said
YOu can't be black this upset about a black man getting out of prison after being wrongly convicted
This one still a question mark. Itís whatever.

Just Bx sissy cats being Bx sissy cats without more / clearer information about the cases history.

2 other people were convicted.

(took the plea deals?)

And apparently some point after their sentencing did they decided to say this guy wasnít involved.

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+166online now  31
Video inside Son burns Moms soul
93 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
-21online now  21
Image(s) inside Stores Starting To Put Warning Signs On Playstation 5 Display Case
128 comments
23 hours ago
@games
most viewed right now
+53online now  16
Jan 27 - The worst mayor in America spells with money
142 comments
21 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
+296online now  12
Video inside Benny the Butcher & J. Cole - Johnny P's Caddy