Mariah didn't feel like she was as respected as Mary J.??

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
+55  33
30 replies  @wild'ish

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section hiphop

2 months ago '20        #1
2152 page views
97 comments

MrDarkCloud  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 26187 26 K  Slaps total: 5745 5 K
Mariah didn't feel like she was as respected as Mary J.??

One night, we went to dinner at Sylvia’s in Harlem — me, Tommy, and Mariah. On our way back, we were riding in the limo and every club, every car was bumping “Fantasy.” Mariah put her sunglasses on, and tears came down her cheeks, because she couldn’t believe her record was getting played all through the hood. That was the beginning of her not turning back to pop.

She once told me though she was grateful for her success, she would trade in all of her record sales to get the respect that Mary J. Blige got. She said, “Mary doesn’t have to sell 28 million records to be respected — people respect Mary, and I just want to be respected like her.”
visit this link https://www.billboard.com .. ories-7272606/

What y'all think about this? Essentially, the "Fantasy" remix with ODB was Mariah trying to jump into Mary's lane because she wanted the respect from Black people that Mary had/has. And that quote came STRAIGHT from Cory Rooney. "Not turning back to pop" was basically Mariah trying to be like Mary.

@Cambury image I don't think we've ever talked about this.

Last edited by MrDarkCloud; 11-27-2021 at 07:27 AM..
+14   

best
worst
97 comments

2 months ago '11        #2
GrindPOWER$  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x21
Props total: 81085 81 K  Slaps total: 14649 14 K
Mariah was the light skin cousin of Hip Hop/Pop R&B who we love to listen too

One Sweet Day
Breakdown
Heart Breaker
Honey remix
Fantasy remix

ALL WAS BANGERS . ALL I STILL BUMP
+22   

2 months ago '16        #3
AgentOrange 
Props total: 12034 12 K  Slaps total: 2538 2 K
Yes it's true. Mariah got her fame and clout from pop. She got some hood dik in her and divorced her husband and went hip hop with ODB. Mariah was the total opposite. She never really crossed over to pop. Hence why she never sold 28mil. With that said, Mariah had an expensive lifestyle that Mary couldn't afford. She would be miserable having respect and selling Mary numbers. sh*t Mary been miserable half her career. It's why her music is poplar in the black community. It's relatable and not that fantasy love story Mariah sings about.
+15   

2 months ago '07        #4
Sincere730  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 71435 71 K  Slaps total: 7516 7 K
Mary vs Mariah

set it up somebody get Swizz n Tim on the horn
+19   

2 months ago '20        #5
MrDarkCloud  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5 OP
 AgentOrange said
Yes it's true. Mariah got her fame and clout from pop. She got some hood dik in her and divorced her husband and went hip hop with ODB. Mariah was the total opposite. She never really crossed over to pop. Hence why she never sold 28mil. With that said, Mariah had an expensive lifestyle that Mary couldn't afford. She would be miserable having respect and selling Mary numbers. sh*t Mary been miserable half her career. It's why her music is poplar in the black community. It's relatable and not that fantasy love story Mariah sings about.

I'm gonna ignore that Mary shade but I see your point everywhere else. It also helped Mariah that she was racially ambiguous and Tommy's push to keep her image like that just added to her universal appeal. She came in the game being marketed as the Yt Whitney.

Mary came in the game a legitimate soul songstress that was making hip hop music from album one. Her reach was always going to be a little more limited than Mariah's.
+8   

2 months ago '20        #6
The corrector  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 11816 11 K  Slaps total: 2657 2 K
She wasn't and it was clear
+1   

2 months ago '16        #7
AgentOrange 
Props total: 12034 12 K  Slaps total: 2538 2 K
 MrDarkCloud said

I'm gonna ignore that Mary shade but I see your point everywhere else. It also helped Mariah that she was racially ambiguous and Tommy's push to keep her image like that just added to her universal appeal. She came in the game being marketed as the Yt Whitney.

Mary came in the game a legitimate soul songstress that was making hip hop music from album one. Her reach was always going to be a little more limited than Mariah's.
I dont mean no shade. Both have great careers. I personally didnt understand Mariah jumping to hip hop. I didnt accept it. Felt like a culture vulture move. Mary was home grown. She had to earn hers. I remember people clowning Mary singing skills because she was hip hop. But her content is why she is loved. Mariah was competing with Whitney. Mary wasn't in that class, no shade. Hip hop was an hour show on MTV when Mary was doing hip hop. Mariah was international known.
+6   

2 months ago '20        #8
 Sincere730 said
Mary vs Mariah

I'd love to see this. I feel like it'd be more of a celebration than an actual battle.

But these n*ggas said - Mariah would wash because she has way more POP hits. Further proof that this site is mostly non Black.

I always said it could work but it would have to be hip hop Mariah. Because ain't nobody really trying to hear that pop sh*t. Though I'd still have Mary winning. But, that's just me apparently lol.
+5   

2 months ago '20        #9
 The corrector said
She wasn't and it was clear
To be honest, I still don't think Mariah really has it.

She's respected probably in the same way Celine Dion is respected. The vocals. But if n*ggas really pay attention, Mary is a WAY more critically acclaimed artist than Mariah is.

Mary's music >>>>> Mariah's music.
+8   

2 months ago '15        #10
Black Larry 
Props total: 17009 17 K  Slaps total: 1452 1 K
 MrDarkCloud said
I'd love to see this. I feel like it'd be more of a celebration than an actual battle.

But these n*ggas said - Mariah would wash because she has way more POP hits. Further proof that this site is mostly non Black.

I always said it could work but it would have to be hip hop Mariah. Because ain't nobody really trying to hear that pop sh*t. Though I'd still have Mary winning. But, that's just me apparently lol.
Couple things. I think if they set that vs up. Mariah would go hard. She cut from that diva foh cloth. Mary is legendary and she wasn't on the table because she's kinda goat status of RnB. So this would be interesting because those Mary songs still hit and she has a lot. I know Mariah has hits but idk if those songs hit like Mary's. Clearly I would put money on Mary if they battled.
+4   

2 months ago '17        #11
Speedy ClapSon 
Props total: 36878 36 K  Slaps total: 11263 11 K
Mary was was manufactured by Andre Harrell and Puff

Mariah was manufactured Tommy Mottola

Just like Whitney Houston was manufactured by Clive Davis and made pop music

But clowns wanna act like it was a personal choice by Mariah to be pop and call her a "culture vulture"

+6   

2 months ago '05        #12
YARKONE 
Props total: 4644 4 K  Slaps total: 782 782
 MrDarkCloud said

She's respected probably in the same way Celine Dion is respected. The vocals. But if n*ggas really pay attention, Mary is a WAY more critically acclaimed artist than Mariah is.

Cťline Dion's carreer path has nothing in common with Mariah.

With that said, youre right Mary's music is by far better than Mariahs.

2 months ago '12        #13
RATCHET 
Props total: 3772 3 K  Slaps total: 924 924
 MrDarkCloud said

FActs. I ainít listen to Mariah until ODB. I ainít have a clue who she was cause I ainít never listen to her pop sh*t.

Mary would wash Mariah.

2 months ago '07        #14
Cambury  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 41354 41 K  Slaps total: 17954 17 K
 MrDarkCloud said

What y'all think about this? Essentially, the "Fantasy" remix with ODB was Mariah trying to jump into Mary's lane because she wanted the respect from Black people that Mary had/has. And that quote came STRAIGHT from Cory Rooney. "Not turning back to pop" was basically Mariah trying to be like Mary.

@ I don't think we've ever talked about this.
We have spoken on this and MJB was that bi*ch and we gotta actually respect Mariah for wanting diversify her sh*t. She went to Puff and JD and became our R&B queen like Mary did.

Doesn't change the fact that even when she said that she was a legend and far bigger than Mary would ever be. Let's be real, if Mary could have had Mariah career she would because the talent and the money is undeniable.
+1   

2 months ago '07        #15
Cambury  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 41354 41 K  Slaps total: 17954 17 K
 RATCHET said
FActs. I ainít listen to Mariah until ODB. I ainít have a clue who she was cause I ainít never listen to her pop sh*t.

Mary would wash Mariah.
Yall young n*ggas wildin
+1   

2 months ago '12        #16
RATCHET 
Props total: 3772 3 K  Slaps total: 924 924
 Cambury said
Yall young n*ggas wildin
Just opinions. Before Mariah switched over to hip hop yall n*ggas was not listening to her. She was boring as hell.
+2   

2 months ago '20        #17
 RATCHET said

Mary would wash Mariah.
Yah. I always preferred hip hop Mariah.

All I really recall of her early career is that she was the Yt looking biracial girl that could sort of sing like Whitney.
+4   

2 months ago '15        #18
Teddy KGB 
Props total: 85226 85 K  Slaps total: 10081 10 K
I bet if you asked Mary at that time, she probably would have said she wished she had Mariah’s pop success. Grass is always greener.

When Mariah switched it up I don’t remember people being like oh now I respect Mariah. She was already huge, so even if you were a hip hop fan you were already listening to Mariah regardless. Even before the switch was played on the same R&B and rap stations as everyone from Luther, to Jodeci, to MC Hammer to Biggie. Ain’t nobody was like who is Mariah nope… don’t respect her.

Mary and Mariah both legends. Would like to see a versus, but neither one of them has anything to prove. I like pop Mariah just as much as hip hop Mariah. Takes me back to my childhood.
+4   

Top 10 most slapped recently  2 months ago '13        #19
THEDONN  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 120184 120 K  Slaps total: 49173 49 K
Mariah is top 3 ever

No order

Whitney
Mary
Mariah

Shoutout to Alicia keys

+8   

2 months ago '16        #20
postemupndunkit 
Props total: 73999 73 K  Slaps total: 8734 8 K
 Sincere730 said
Mary vs Mariah

15-5 Mary

You could argue that Mary came out the gate with 4 classic albums.

Me giving Mariah 5 is just because of respect
+2   

2 months ago '20        #21
 Cambury said
We have spoken on this and MJB was that bi*ch and we gotta actually respect Mariah for wanting diversify her sh*t. She went to Puff and JD and became our R&B queen like Mary did.

Doesn't change the fact that even when she said that she was a legend and far bigger than Mary would ever be. Let's be real, if Mary could have had Mariah career she would because the talent and the money is undeniable.
IDK. Because when you really look at it from an artistic and cultural standpoint, Mary is probably more important to music. I guess that's where the respect comes from that Mariah said she wishes she had.

Mary was original, fresh, and brought something new to the game at the time. She's always gonna be known for pioneering a subgenre of music and for her image at the time. Shifted the game.

Mariah''s great but she was racially ambiguous, which helped her crossover, and had an easy road to success because she was married to the biggest exec in music at the time.

Mary actually had to put in work lol.
+2   

2 months ago '20        #22
 YARKONE said
Cťline Dion's carreer path has nothing in common with Mariah.

With that said, youre right Mary's music is by far better than Mariahs.
I meant, they have a similar type of respect. Where it's not so much about the albums and moreso about their singing. And they're both pop.

Whereas, Mary is synonymous with great, legendary albums. Especially the first 2. I don't think Mariah has a "What's The 411?' or "My Life" type album in her discography.
+1   

2 months ago '16        #23
postemupndunkit 
Props total: 73999 73 K  Slaps total: 8734 8 K
 MrDarkCloud said
I meant, they have a similar type of respect. Where it's not so much about the albums and moreso about their singing. And they're both pop.

Whereas, Mary is synonymous with great, legendary albums. Especially the first 2. I don't think Mariah has a "What's The 411?' or "My Life" type album in her discography.
Mariah ain't got a Mary, she ain't got a Share My World , she ain't even got a growing pains.

I don't think people really take in how DEEP Mary's catalog is.
+1   

2 months ago '20        #24
 postemupndunkit said
Mariah ain't got a Mary, she ain't got a Share My World , she ain't even got a growing pains.

I don't think people really take in how DEEP Mary's catalog is.
When n*ggas was saying a few months ago about how Mariah would wash Mary in a Verzuz, all I could do was facepalm.

Mary's deep cuts by themselves would keep her on top.

fu*k, I think Mary probably has more classic deep cuts/album tracks than she does hits. She wouldn't even need to touch her actual Billboard tracks lol.
+2   

2 months ago '18        #25
HoopLife88 
Props total: 46942 46 K  Slaps total: 5765 5 K
Shes white thats why
+1   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+27online now  10
[Workout] I Can't Believe How Strong She Is...
56 comments
20 hours ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+25online now  9
Bucs coach: He (Hurts) can't read, keep moving around, he gonna give us a ..
136 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
online now  7
Video inside Xbox versus Sony on Activision let's stop the nonsense
86 comments
19 hours ago
@games
most viewed right now
online now  4
RIP Michael Blackson homie