Oct 26 - US, China Sparring over Taiwan Heats Up Anew

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
19 replies  @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

1 month ago '04        #1
594 page views
10 comments

jlandryst  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x60
Props total: 20935 20 K  Slaps total: 2195 2 K
Oct 26 - US, China Sparring over Taiwan Heats Up Anew

The United States and China are stepping up their war of words over Taiwan in a long-simmering dispute that has significant implications for the power dynamic in the Indo-Pacific and beyond.

Amid a surge in Chinese military activity near the island that China regards as a renegade province and has vowed to reclaim by force if necessary, Washington and Beijing have launched new campaigns for global support for their respective positions, each using the stern and lofty language of sovereignty and international precedent. And neither is backing down.

While the disagreement over Taiwan isn’t new and has long vexed relations between the countries, recent developments suggest the two are coming closer to confrontation. Last week, President Joe Biden set off alarm bells in Beijing by saying the U.S. has a firm commitment to help Taiwan defend itself in the event of a Chinese attack.

China protested and the Biden administration sought to play down the comments. White House, State Department and Pentagon officials all said the president did not mean to imply any changes in the U.S. “one-China policy,” which recognizes Beijing but allows informal relations and defense ties with Taipei.

The officials took pains to say that America's commitment to Taiwan remains steadfast but continues to be guided by a policy of “strategic ambiguity” over military-related specifics that falls short of a treaty-enshrined mutual defense pact. Since then, however, the administration has upped the ante on the diplomatic front.

Secretary of State Antony Blinken on Tuesday publicly urged other members of the United Nations to reject China's a*sertion of absolute sovereignty over Taiwan and join the U.S. in supporting Taipei's independent participation in international organizations related to transportation, health, climate change, culture and education.

“As the international community faces an unprecedented number of complex and global issues, it is critical for all stakeholders to help address these problems,” Blinken said in a statement. “This includes the 24 million people who live in Taiwan. Taiwan’s meaningful participation in the UN system is not a political issue, but a pragmatic one.”

He noted that Taiwan has been prevented from participating in meetings of the International Civil Aviation Organization despite being a major transit hub and the World Health Organization despite having fielded an effective response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

“Taiwan’s exclusion undermines the important work of the UN and its related bodies, all of which stand to benefit greatly from its contributions,” Blinken said. “That is why we encourage all UN Member States to join us in supporting Taiwan’s robust, meaningful participation throughout the UN system and in the international community.”

State Department spokesman Ned Price declined to elaborate on what the administration would define as “meaningful participation."

Blinken's statement came just five days after Biden's remarks about Taiwan's defense and only two days after the State Department announced that senior U.S. and Taiwanese officials met virtually to discuss expanding Taiwan's participation in UN and other international groupings.

In that Oct. 22 meeting, administration officials "reiterated the U.S. commitment to Taiwan’s meaningful participation at the World Health Organization and UN Framework Convention on Climate Change and discussed ways to highlight Taiwan’s ability to contribute to efforts on a wide range of issues,” the State Department said.

Apart from complaining about Biden's initial comments, China reacted angrily to that discussion, slamming the administration for making “irresponsible statements” that encourage Taiwanese independence and demanding a halt to U.S. “official contacts” with the island's government.

“Taiwan’s participation in activities of the international organizations must be handled in accordance with the one-China principle,” foreign ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin said. “Taiwan’s attempts to expand its so-called ‘international space’ with foreign support are in nature seeking to expand the space for ‘Taiwan independence’ and secession. It will surely end in failure.”

The back-and-forth is playing out against a backdrop of increasing belligerence by both sides toward the other, even as they profess to have common interests on issues ranging from trade to climate to North Korea. Relations have plunged to new lows since nosediving under the Trump administration, which adopted a confrontational approach on trade, visas, diplomatic representation and educational exchanges.

While both former President Donald Trump and President Joe Biden have been firm in their opposition to Chinese activities in Tibet, Hong Kong, China's western Xinjiang region and the South China Sea, the Taiwan issue pre-dates most of those irritants.

China has recently upped its threat to bring Taiwan under its control by force if necessary by flying warplanes near the island and rehearsing beach landings.

China and Taiwan split during a civil war in 1949. The U.S. cut formal diplomatic relations with Taipei in 1979 in order to recognize Beijing. The U.S. does not openly contest China’s claim to Taiwan, but is committed by law to ensure the island can defend itself and to treat all threats toward it as matters of grave concern.

Under President Xi Jinping, who is also Communist Party leader and head of the armed forces, China has been stepping up military, diplomatic and economic pressure on Taiwan. Over its National Day weekend at the beginning of the month, China sent a record 149 military aircraft southwest of Taiwan in strike group formations, prompting Taiwan to scramble aircraft and activate its air defense missile systems.

China has also recently held beach landing exercises on its side of the roughly 160-kilometer-wide (100-mile-wide) Taiwan Strait, which, like the aircraft incursions, it described as a warning to Tsai Ing-wen’s administration.

The U.S. has reinforced its support for Taiwan with military sales.

visit this link https://www.military.com/ .. eats-anew.html
+2   

best
worst
10 comments

1 month ago '11        #2
BaseWhitaker 
Props total: 29710 29 K  Slaps total: 4348 4 K
This should catch the attention of everyone on BX going to war in the comments over the vaccine

This sh*t is waaaaay more dangerous
+5   

1 month ago '15        #3
Jad95 
Props total: 3716 3 K  Slaps total: 432 432
 BaseWhitaker said
This should catch the attention of everyone on BX going to war in the comments over the vaccine

This sh*t is waaaaay more dangerous
Big facts. But America has already rotted from the inside and it shows in the leaders we choose. Democracy works when the people are informed and compassionate. The average American is ignorant and apathetic, that’s why our government seems to be failing. If joe Biden and Donald trump are the best this country can offer as far as leaders, then it’s already over. But the left just hates the right and the right hates the left, and the gov does wtf they want.
+5   

1 month ago '11        #4
BaseWhitaker 
 Jad95 said
Big facts. But America has already rotted from the inside and it shows in the leaders we choose. Democracy works when the people are informed and compassionate. The average American is ignorant and apathetic, that’s why our government seems to be failing. If joe Biden and Donald trump are the best this country can offer as far as leaders, then it’s already over. But the left just hates the right and the right hates the left, and the gov does wtf they want.
Yup.

Biden forced his way into the Presidency and Trump’s victory was the ultimate example of the farce of the institution in and of itself

The true culprit that led us here was the Republican Party voting en masse to drain Public Education: We are inundated by misinformation and a significant portion of the citizenry who are too inept at a core level to know any better - Which is the precise reason why the MAGAts/Anti-Vax, though not the same aesthetically, both represent how many people choose to think with their emotions above empirical data

Tbh I am waiting for the other shoe to drop, with China, apparently they are preparing to invade small islands around Taiwan, though it may not be this year we could soon see the precipice of The Last War

1 month ago '12        #5
Di Warlord 
Props total: 26410 26 K  Slaps total: 1546 1 K
 BaseWhitaker said
Yup.

Biden forced his way into the Presidency and Trump’s victory was the ultimate example of the farce of the institution in and of itself

The true culprit that led us here was the Republican Party voting en masse to drain Public Education: We are inundated by misinformation and a significant portion of the citizenry who are too inept at a core level to know any better - Which is the precise reason why the MAGAts/Anti-Vax, though not the same aesthetically, both represent how many people choose to think with their emotions above empirical data

Tbh I am waiting for the other shoe to drop, with China, apparently they are preparing to invade small islands around Taiwan, though it may not be this year we could soon see the precipice of The Last War
hey man that was well written, props for this comment, it seems as if you are non-partisan. Can you explain more of what you mean in the bold?
+1   

1 month ago '11        #6
BaseWhitaker 
 Di Warlord said
hey man that was well written, props for this comment, it seems as if you are non-partisan. Can you explain more of what you mean in the bold?
I appreciate your response, thank you Sir

The DNC conspired to disable Bernie Sanders from becoming President

Donna Brazile admitted to giving Hillary Clinton questions regarding what would be asked in the 2016 DNC Debate preemptively - The DNC in and of itself also brigaded Bernie, ensuring that his more definitive Progressive Platform would be railroaded by - Well Joe Biden and Hillary Clinton are both Statists, they are Centrists who are “Left Of Center”, what we call Democrats in this country aren’t really Democrats, they are Statists

Donald Trump’s rise represents the farce of the structure of this country politically because he never even ran on a Platform: Whatever Democrats represents he merely campaigned to the opposite of it, the GOP operates the exact same way

The working poor feels disdain towards the Establishment and we absolutely should - The Biden Administration is doing itself no favors < Not to divert from my point: But Kamala Harris is in charge of Immigration and seeing what the Border Patrol did to those Haitians is why I will not vote for Biden twice

I voted for him to get Trump out: He has delivered a fresh coat of false promises < Haitians being whipped and herded like Human Cattle < Student Loan Promises being lies < Not going after Billionaires for Taxes but want to flag every bank account with more than $600 in it (!!!!) = 2024 will usher Trump’s Return, and tbh maybe America just needs to tumble, our “leaders” are letting the Experiment die in real-time

I just can’t side with the Suckas here on Boxden spewing racist jargon: But tbh America is a Show rapidly facing Cancellation, it is what it is, and nothing built to be mountainous in scope ever collapses well.
+1   

1 month ago '12        #7
Di Warlord 
 BaseWhitaker said
I appreciate your response, thank you Sir

The DNC conspired to disable Bernie Sanders from becoming President

Donna Brazile admitted to giving Hillary Clinton questions regarding what would be asked in the 2016 DNC Debate preemptively - The DNC in and of itself also brigaded Bernie, ensuring that his more definitive Progressive Platform would be railroaded by - Well Joe Biden and Hillary Clinton are both Statists, they are Centrists who are “Left Of Center”, what we call Democrats in this country aren’t really Democrats, they are Statists

Donald Trump’s rise represents the farce of the structure of this country politically because he never even ran on a Platform: Whatever Democrats represents he merely campaigned to the opposite of it, the GOP operates the exact same way

The working poor feels disdain towards the Establishment and we absolutely should - The Biden Administration is doing itself no favors < Not to divert from my point: But Kamala Harris is in charge of Immigration and seeing what the Border Patrol did to those Haitians is why I will not vote for Biden twice

I voted for him to get Trump out: He has delivered a fresh coat of false promises < Haitians being whipped and herded like Human Cattle < Student Loan Promises being lies < Not going after Billionaires for Taxes but want to flag every bank account with more than $600 in it (!!!!) = 2024 will usher Trump’s Return, and tbh maybe America just needs to tumble, our “leaders” are letting the Experiment die in real-time

I just can’t side with the Suckas here on Boxden spewing racist jargon: But tbh America is a Show rapidly facing Cancellation, it is what it is, and nothing built to be mountainous in scope ever collapses well.
wow, yeah I remember reading the article a few years ago about Brazille admitting to giving Clinton the edge in the DNC and them actively working to sideline Bernie, seems as if that was ages ago. They got lucky winning against Trump, but I agree with you. He had the second most popular votes in election history. Those votes are NOT going away, especially in 2024. If Trump or whoever Trump sanctions, runs in 2024, they are going to win the Biden Admin hasn't kept a single promise outside of pulling out of Afghan, and you see how that went

You're also right, the concept of a "more perfect Union" is failing
+1   

1 month ago '11        #8
BaseWhitaker 
 Di Warlord said
wow, yeah I remember reading the article a few years ago about Brazille admitting to giving Clinton the edge in the DNC and them actively working to sideline Bernie, seems as if that was ages ago. They got lucky winning against Trump, but I agree with you. He had the second most popular votes in election history. Those votes are NOT going away, especially in 2024. If Trump or whoever Trump sanctions, runs in 2024, they are going to win the Biden Admin hasn't kept a single promise outside of pulling out of Afghan, and you see how that went

You're also right, the concept of a "more perfect Union" is failing
The Biden Administration is literally banking on Republican Voters dying en masse from Covid, and that plan is working

We will not see the true death tolls for months, obfuscated at State Levels true statistics are being withheld from the public as to not stow panic amongst the citizenry

Even happening in California where I live -

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mercurynews.com/2021/09/12/california-senate-passes-bill-allowing-state-to-keep-details-of-covid-outbreaks-secret/amp/?espv=1
+1   

1 month ago '12        #9
Di Warlord 
 BaseWhitaker said
The Biden Administration is literally banking on Republican Voters dying en masse from Covid, and that plan is working

We will not see the true death tolls for months, obfuscated at State Levels true statistics are being withheld from the public as to not stow panic amongst the citizenry

Even happening in California where I live -

damn, if only Republicans and the Q cats saw that Biden is banking on them not taking the vaccine and succumbing to covid, maybe just maybe they'd take covid more seriously

studies will show in the future that both administrations didn't give a fu*k about the U.S. population dying from covid I just got that book The Afghanistan Papers in the mail a few mins ago, I'm sure the covid studies years after the fact will look like much of the same (where administrations of both parties failed epically and intentionally)

1 month ago '07        #10
yola  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x63
Props total: 97634 97 K  Slaps total: 12460 12 K
China has the upper hand

Americans refuse to provide for themselves

the US is just trying to save face, they will back down to China when push comes to shove

What Would Happen If China Called In Its Debt?

China's position as the largest foreign holder of U.S. debt gives it some political leverage. It is responsible for lower interest rates and cheap consumer goods. If it called in its debt, U.S. interest rates and prices could rise, slowing U.S. economic growth.

On the other hand, if China called in its debt, the demand for the dollar could plummet. This dollar collapse could disrupt international markets even more than the 2008 financial crisis.

1 month ago '17        #11
SPdaGOAT  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 86336 86 K  Slaps total: 30961 30 K
 BaseWhitaker said
Yup.

I been saying this and you in particular swear I’m always trolling on here.

This site is a joke lmfao

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+114online now  12
Image(s) inside rottweiler/german shepard mix gotta be the coolest dog
109 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
-35online now  8
Nov 27 - Transgender Ped0phile is transferred to a female prison and r@pes his..
80 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
+67online now  7
Image(s) inside Remember when Young Money had a weak budget?
133 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  6
Article inside Kevin Hart's New Series "True Story" is FIRE. I THOUGHT KOUNTY WAYNE ..
63 comments
1 day ago
@movies
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy