Oct 26 - Couponer scammed stores of $31.8 MILLION in fake coupons, funded her lavish life

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT section news

1 month ago '04        #1
8049 page views
148 comments

jlandryst  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x60
Props total: 20935 20 K  Slaps total: 2195 2 K
Oct 26 - Couponer scammed stores of $31.8 MILLION in fake coupons, funded her lavish life

Lori Ann Villanueva Talens, 41, was ordered to repay $31.8million to retailers that she defrauded with fake coupons that she sold to a network of shoppers online

Talens got 12 years in prison on Sept. 14 after she pleaded guilty to mail fraud, wire fraud and welfare fraud; her husband Pacifico Talens Jr., 43, got 87 months

Fake coupons with a collective value of $1 million were found in 'every crevice' of her home when a warrant was executed

She designed and printed coupons at home and sold them to a network she amassed on social media sites using the name 'MasterChef'

The FBI said she was 'able to create a coupon for almost any grocery or drugstore product, and able to make it for whatever value off she wanted'

'She had coupons for $24.99 off a $25 box of diapers. And it would work... you壇 have people walking out the door with those diapers for almost nothing'

Talens used the profits to pay for vacations, lavish dinners, a new kitchen, sunroom and in-ground swimming pool, the FBI said

In addition to the coupon scheme, the fraudster got $43,000 in benefits from the Supplemental Nutrition a*sistance Program and Medicaid

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

A Virginia woman who was convicted of selling nearly $32 million in counterfeit coupons and using her ill-gotten gains to pay for home renovations and luxury vacations was sentenced to 12 years in prison

Lori Ann Villanueva Talens, 41, shipped tens of thousands of coupons she designed and printed at home to a network of more than 2,000 customers she amassed on social media sites like Facebook and Telegram using the name 'MasterChef.'

Fake coupons with a collective value of $1 million were found in 'every crevice' of the Virginia Beach home she shared with her husband, Pacifico Talens Jr., when a warrant was executed for their arrest.

'There were coupons in every jacket pocket; they were stuffed in her vehicles,' according to Postal Inspector Jason Thomasson.

About 100 companies, including Procter & Gamble, Coca-Cola and Ziploc, were victimized by the 'counterfeit coupon empire' - paper products company Kimberly-Clark was the hardest hit, with nearly $9 million lost to the scheme.

The FBI also found designs to create coupons for more than 13,000 different products on Talens computer.

After reviewing the designs of the 'Frankenstein' coupons - which combined elements of legitimate ones - and comparing them with counterfeit coupons in circulation, they determined she was responsible for $31,817,997 in losses.

Prosecutors said that she 'perfected the art' of counterfeiting coupons, and was able to 'create [coupons] virtually indistinguishable from genuine [ones].'

The majority of her forgeries offered deals equal to - or even greater than - the value of the merchandise. In cases where the discount exceeded the item's price, retailers had to pay customers from their registers for 'purchasing' them.

'Coupon fraud is not a harmless crime. Lori Ann Talens and her husband operated an audacious fraud scheme that stole more than $31 million directly from retailers and manufacturers,' said Brian Dugan, Special Agent in Charge of the FBI痴 Norfolk Field Office.

However, Talens' attorney Lawrence Woodward Jr. argued that his client should get a lighter sentence because she gave authorities information about the 'rather murky world of counterfeit couponing' in interviews and identified other counterfeiters.

With a background in marketing and strong computer design skills, the FBI said, she was 'able to create a coupon for almost any grocery or drugstore product, and able to make it for whatever value off she wanted.'

'She had coupons for $24.99 off a $25 box of diapers. And it would work,' said Thomasson. 'And you壇 have people walking out the door with those diapers for almost nothing.'

With the savings from her coupons and the proceeds from their sale, Talens paid for vacations, shopping trips and dinners out for herself and her family. The profits also bought her a new kitchen, sunroom and in-ground swimming pool.

Over three years, Talens was paid $400,000 by her subscribers between April of 2017 and May of 2020, an amount that the FBI said was determined through a 'painstaking' review of thousands of transactions through payment apps and virtual currency wallets.

She would ship the fraudulent coupons via the United States Postal Service. The racket was discovered after a member of Talens' secret network - which participants could only join after they'd sent along a copy of their photo ID and some kind of proof that they had used fake coupons before - reported her to the Coupon Information Corporation, an agency dedicated to coupon integrity.

visit this link https://www.dailymail.co. .. lifestyle.html
+35   

best
worst
148 comments

1 month ago '17        #2
lucifershammer  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 68411 68 K  Slaps total: 6678 6 K
some kind of proof that they had used fake coupons before
+50   

1 month ago '09        #3
messy marv stan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x72
Props total: 244392 244 K  Slaps total: 27084 27 K

she did what them people on that tlc show did
+43   

1 month ago '11        #4
Aces Up 
Props total: 2885 2 K  Slaps total: 135 135
They need to track down that hoe's customers too. I swear a few of them bi*ches used to come to the store I used to work at. Used to get so heated seeing those c*nts walking through the door.

1 month ago '20        #5
Mysticman  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x19
Props total: 43082 43 K  Slaps total: 13737 13 K
There's a movie that just came out about this exact thing

Was a decent somewhat funny movie at least to me

Last edited by Mysticman; 10-27-2021 at 01:39 AM..
+26   

1 month ago '06        #6
Storchaveli  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 29696 29 K  Slaps total: 7293 7 K
I always wonder what’s wrong with people like this… mentally. Coupons leave… a paper trail.
+33   

1 month ago '07        #7
Avon_Barksdale  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x121
Props total: 251205 251 K  Slaps total: 22380 22 K
This sh*t happened two neighborhoods over from me...

Fake coupons with a collective value of $1 million were found in 'every crevice' of the Virginia Beach home she shared with her husband, Pacifico Talens Jr., when a warrant was executed for their arrest.
+15   

1 month ago '07        #8
timdog  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x13
Props total: 52079 52 K  Slaps total: 6599 6 K
+3   

1 month ago '20        #9
Xiox  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 41742 41 K  Slaps total: 7765 7 K
I wish i had a coupon queenpin , that bro found him a winner . I would definitely break my stance on pawging for her

Last edited by Xiox; 10-27-2021 at 12:58 AM..
+42   

1 month ago '17        #10
StandUpFella09 
Props total: 6243 6 K  Slaps total: 693 693
 Xiox said
I wish i had a coupon queenpin
+20   

1 month ago '16        #11
KWizzle 
Props total: 14404 14 K  Slaps total: 1267 1 K
In a wierd way im kinda not mad at the scam
+80   

1 month ago '04        #12
7twelve 
Props total: 40338 40 K  Slaps total: 8772 8 K
the way they be having ten carts full of stuff and leave with $200 cash back is beyond me.

fbi guestimates about 32million in fraud...yo fbi be on one
+17   

1 month ago '04        #13
Thangstah  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 3647 3 K  Slaps total: 484 484
Victims were fortune 100 companies

fu*k them, this scam was for the people. They rip off people everyday. She got done in by a snitch.
+126   

1 month ago '04        #14
tnice 
Props total: 20958 20 K  Slaps total: 767 767
greedy bi*ch

+36   

1 month ago '20        #15
Xiox  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 41742 41 K  Slaps total: 7765 7 K
How can anyone be mad at these women is beyond me
+27   

1 month ago '17        #16
S PHX GOD 
Props total: 55034 55 K  Slaps total: 7791 7 K
how did she manipulate the qr/barcodes to do what she wanted? last i checked the cashier gotta scan the coupon so the price can change on the register.. i might not be thinking this all the way through i'm supposed to be sleep now smh
+55   

1 month ago '14        #17
strungout  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 155162 155 K  Slaps total: 35391 35 K
The queen of coupons
+12   

1 month ago '04        #18
mattmatics 
Props total: 221 221  Slaps total: 26 26
 Avon_Barksdale said
This sh*t happened two neighborhoods over from me...

Her and her husband went to Salem High. You near there?

1 month ago '05        #19
Tonero 
Props total: 10954 10 K  Slaps total: 2746 2 K
How were those coupons authenticated if they are fake? Had to be an inside job
+9   

1 month ago '11        #20
GrindPOWER$  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x17
Props total: 76732 76 K  Slaps total: 14174 14 K
cliff notes

i know what coupons are used for but somebody break down the scam in a nutshell

1 month ago '20        #21
 S PHX GOD said
how did she manipulate the qr/barcodes to do what she wanted? last i checked the cashier gotta scan the coupon so the price can change on the register.. i might not be thinking this all the way through i'm supposed to be sleep now smh
IDK but she got caught because a customer of hers told on her, she was using the same paper that the companies use when they make the coupon watermark and all so she would have never got caught unless they found out who was giving/selling the coupons outside of getting her info from a customer and raiding her house as there's no way she gets all of those coupons legally
+15   

1 month ago '08        #22
Lot17 
Props total: 5746 5 K  Slaps total: 1158 1 K
 Mysticman said
There's a movie that just came out about this exact thing

Was a decent somewhat funny movie at least to me
Dam dogs u just gonna post ur movie plug like that without spoiler tags? You know the feds listening

Last edited by Lot17; 10-27-2021 at 02:23 AM..
+8   

1 month ago '11        #23
Aces Up 
Props total: 2885 2 K  Slaps total: 135 135
 GrindPOWER$ said
cliff notes

i know what coupons are used for but somebody break down the scam in a nutshell
The lady copies part of legit manufactures coupons and alters them to make new coupons giving herself 99% off of items. She keeps what she buys or resells. The stores send these fake coupons to the manufacturer to get the money for the coupon. The manufacturer won't reimburse them cause it's fake. If they do reimburse them they lose money. Usually they don't pay and the stores eat the cost.

I wouldn't even care, but the majority of the time they don't scan at the register. They rely on begging or yelling at the cashier to manually input it. Most places don't even let cashiers do that anymore because they know they are dumb or dgaf. I used to get so sick of having to go to all those stores to teach nuccas how to tell when they were fake.
+26   

1 month ago '20        #24
 Lot17 said
Dam dogs u just gonna post ur movie plug like that without spoiler tags? You know the feds listening
:Dead: Just fixed it

1 month ago '20        #25
 Tonero said
How were those coupons authenticated if they are fake? Had to be an inside job
Someone who brought from her tipped her off(they knew from the beginning they were fake as she only sold to people who used fake coupons before)
+1   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  31
Video inside Viral rappers 'Island boys' push cryptocurrency raising concern about r..
30 comments
19 hours ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+27online now  22
Anthony Edwards says Jimmy Butler is a fake tough guy
30 comments
22 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
online now  19
Nov 28 - First cases of omicron COVID variant confirmed in Ontario Canada
150 comments
19 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
+104online now  18
I've seen Scarface over 10,000+ times and I just now realized what Tony said!
84 comments
21 hours ago
@movies
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy