Oct 24 - Dads on Duty: Fathers intervene after violence spikes at Louisiana high school

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT
most viewed right now
22 replies  @sports

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

1 month ago '04        #1
2723 page views
67 comments

jlandryst  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x60
Props total: 20931 20 K  Slaps total: 2195 2 K
Oct 24 - Dads on Duty: Fathers intervene after violence spikes at Louisiana high school

After 23 Southwood High School students were arrested in three days, a group of local fathers stepped in and not a single incident has been reported since

As violent altercations among students surged at a Shreveport, Louisiana high school, it seemed nobody — not police, campus security nor school officials — could keep the peace. That is, until a group of local fathers took the lead.

Before Michael R. La’Fitte II formed Dads on Duty, a volunteer group of approximately 40 fathers who line the halls of Southwood High School in shifts, a total of 23 students had been arrested for f*ghting over the course of 72 hours.

Not a single violent incident among the high schoolers has been reported since the dads set foot on campus, according to CBS News.

“We’re dads. We decided the best people who can take care of our kids are who? Are us,” LaFitte told CBS News’ Steve Hartman.

“I immediately felt a form of safety,” a Southwood student told CBS News about their experience since the arrival of the dads. “We stopped f*ghting; people started going to class,” said another.

“We’re not a security force of any way,” La’Fitte told KSLA News about the group, none of whom have formal criminal justice or counseling degrees.

Students say the presence of the dads has not only been reassuring, but the added source of tough love and fatherly humor has provided students a bright spot in their school day.

“They just make funny jokes like, ‘Oh, hey, your shoe is untied,’ but it’s really not untied,” a student told CBS News.” The school has just been happy — and you can feel it,” another added.

They hate it! They’re so embarrassed by it,” La’Fitte told CBS News about the signature brand of “dad jokes” he has mastered along with the rest of the group.

The endeavor has been so successful, per CBS News, that the fathers plan to continue promoting a positive learning environment at Southwood indefinitely and have goals of expanding Dads on Duty with chapters across the state of Louisiana.

“Because not everybody has a father figure at home – or a male, period, in their life. So just to be here makes a big difference,” one of the dads told CBS News.

La’Fitte is a leader in the Shreveport community in more ways than one, serving as the president of the city’s NAACP (National a*sociation for the Advancement of Colored People) chapter when he isn’t helping with Dads on Duty.

Prior to La’Fitte’s election to the seat in March, similarly to the high school, the chapter had undergone a string of internal conflict that he told the Shreveport Times he intended to address during his term.

“We’ve gone through some tumultuous times since the past election, November 7,” La’Fitte said. “There have been some things done and that have been said within the organization. So, we’ve just got to bring the inf*ghting to an end.”

“Once we get a handle on the inf*ghting, we’re going to make sure that we tackle the things in our community, whether that be city government, police, and fire or whether that be with the regular things and or issues of citizens here in Shreveport-Caddo,” he added.

visit this link https://news.yahoo.com/da .. 201306749.html
+82   

best
worst
67 comments

1 month ago '06        #2
Skateboard T  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 92304 92 K  Slaps total: 15690 15 K
Gee it’s almost like cops in schools make things worse…
+48   

1 month ago '21        #3
LuxG2  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 23068 23 K  Slaps total: 4821 4 K
+12   

1 month ago '15        #4
Kehinde 
Props total: 6707 6 K  Slaps total: 2074 2 K
Real men stepping up, especially black men. Man I love it and it goes to show how much fathers are needed in our society.

Everything starts with the men gentlemen, direction and elevation is what real men bring to the people.
+79   

1 month ago '11        #5
Sin  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x40
Props total: 166351 166 K  Slaps total: 23181 23 K
When did they start arresting children for f*ghting?

1 month ago '17        #6
DaQCKing  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 109554 109 K  Slaps total: 4565 4 K
 Sin said
Um I'm an old n*gga and they were doing this when I was in school. This is nothing new.
+38   

1 month ago '15        #7
thirssty58  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 46506 46 K  Slaps total: 6092 6 K
Need a crime bill penalties can extend to negligent so called parenting too everbody getting locked and caned middle east style prevention better than cure

1 month ago '19        #8
Tuff 
Props total: 2737 2 K  Slaps total: 350 350
That’s awesome hope them brothas get paid as well but that’s a good idea we need this at every urban high school
+10   

1 month ago '04        #9
AniMal2003 
Props total: 234 234  Slaps total: 10 10
Big respect to these brothers for helping Tryna fill in a void
+13   

1 month ago '19        #10
Punch Out 
Props total: 15867 15 K  Slaps total: 3916 3 K
as they should!
+3   

1 month ago '06        #11
whammy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 22242 22 K  Slaps total: 1453 1 K
Glad they were able to partner with the school to do this.

We need more black male teachers and I don't mean coaches moonlighting as teachers.
+14   

1 month ago '18        #12
No Religion  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 34787 34 K  Slaps total: 2573 2 K
Love to see it. Beautiful story, how long until the man steps in and puts a stop to this positivity?
+1   

1 month ago '16        #13
Menosay  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 10517 10 K  Slaps total: 3566 3 K
Are they getting paid or are they unemployed and volunteering?
+3   

1 month ago '11        #14
awww  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 55856 55 K  Slaps total: 40759 40 K
my city and that used to be a white school. now n*ggas up there f*ghtingcant take you n*ggas nowhere

1 month ago '18        #15
Dehone 
Props total: 65618 65 K  Slaps total: 2957 2 K
Salute to these brothers here
+4   

1 month ago '04        #16
xbossxplayax 
Props total: 16016 16 K  Slaps total: 3481 3 K
what a beautiful sight. my respect for they kids would take a point or two up, as well
+4   

1 month ago '05        #17
Stupendamatic  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 21925 21 K  Slaps total: 2025 2 K
 Menosay said
Are they getting paid or are they unemployed and volunteering?
Forty of them volunteered. They take shifts so probably a couple hours once a week for each.
+3   

1 month ago '04        #18
7twelve 
Props total: 40288 40 K  Slaps total: 8770 8 K
us govt should be ashamed.

throw away billions outside the usa but dont put money in school system.

bogus a*s food, non sufficient security or counseling, and wack pay for teachers
+7   

1 month ago '04        #19
makaveliveson 
Props total: 914 914  Slaps total: 359 359
Absolutely beautiful!! Hats off to these dads for making a real difference!
+6   

Top 10 most slapped recently  1 month ago '21        #20
pikadadon  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 7328 7 K  Slaps total: 2679 2 K
'23 students arrested for f*ghting'

huh? When I was growing up kids fought all the time. No one ever called the cops. You're ruining these kid's lives by putting them in the system. Even if they get their high school diploma they can't get a job. Yeah they shouldn't be f*ghting in school but these are kids who come from broken homes and don't know any better.

Edit:

Sin said
 DaQCKing said
Um I'm an old n*gga and they were doing this when I was in school. This is nothing new.
Yeah sh*ts insane. I went to high school for 3 years in NYC and 1 year in Florida. Whenever there was a f*ght they sent the kids to the principal's office. They never called the cops.

Calling the cops is extreme.

Last edited by pikadadon; 10-25-2021 at 02:57 AM..
+10   

1 month ago '05        #21
youngvito18 
Props total: 26957 26 K  Slaps total: 4903 4 K
Not sure about this

We clap because theyre black guys in a black school, but what happens when a 13 year old gets choked up by one of these guys or punched in the face

1 month ago '06        #22
LABoy83 
Props total: 4776 4 K  Slaps total: 171 171

1 month ago '11        #23
 pikadadon said
'23 students arrested for f*ghting'

huh? When I was growing up kids fought all the time. No one ever called the cops. You're ruining these kid's lives by putting them in the system. Even if they get their high school diploma they can't get a job. Yeah they shouldn't be f*ghting in school but these are kids who come from broken homes and don't know any better.

Edit:

Yeah sh*ts insane. I went to high school for 3 years in NYC and 1 year in Florida. Whenever there was a f*ght they sent the kids to the principal's office. They never called the cops.

Calling the cops is extreme.
I guess we were the exception looking at the thread responses

DaQCKing said
I graduated in 2005 and the standard consequences for f*ghting was 10 days out of school suspension

I guess it depends on the area or district my area of north Jersey handled things in house
+2   

1 month ago '11        #24
 youngvito18 said
Not sure about this

We clap because theyre black guys in a black school, but what happens when a 13 year old gets choked up by one of these guys or punched in the face
You can only hope they all have restraint

1 month ago '12        #25
The2ndHorseman 
Props total: 25735 25 K  Slaps total: 1937 1 K
I almost moved to Shreveport in hs my hs at the time said they had a sh*tty school system
+1   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+190online now  18
Video inside Cute chick from work
171 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  11
Nov 26 - A record number of Americans say they won’t be buying holiday gifts t..
46 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
+62online now  5
50 Cent's Power/BMF Cast throwing shots at each other
96 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  5
Video inside New Variant causing Crypto and Stock CRASH …
17 comments
1 day ago
@misc
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy